Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #91
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillsfan View Post
I think the OP is enjoying the debate. Im sure she didnt expect such an excellent response with some very interesting and contrasting opinions.

Here in the UK we pay approx 11% of salary, or 9.4% if your in a company pension scheme. Not sure how that compares to the average cost of healthcare plans, but it would be intersting to know. It doesnt just cover health care, but also our government pension scheme and some ofther benefits costs.

I certainly have had bad experiences in our NHS with my father being bumped from pillar to post without a proper diagnosis. I also am married to the OP who works as a nurse in our local hospital and hear all the time of all the efforts that some of the NHS staff make on a daily basis, even when the media reports nothing but bad things about the system. So I like to think I have a balanced view on our NHS and its certainly hard to fault generally.

I dont have to worry about what cover we have, or how expensive it is (apart from the pay deduction), I dont have to worry about paying to see a doctor, and am usually seen within 48hrs, the medication costs are low at around £6.85 per item on a prescription. All the kids prescriptions/eyetests/dental appts are all covered too. There are plenty of downsides too, but one of the best things is that its something left to worry about. We can also choose to pay into a health plan too, if we like, to get faster treatment in private hospitals, but most of the time for anything serious it just gets treated by the NHS.

Our system however is far from perfect though, and im certainly sure that in some areas the US system can be much better.

Like one post said earlier, when the system works, it works very, very well and the care can be exemplery but when the system doesnt work, it can be terrible.

The other thing that im curious about, a lot of posters reffered to the fact that they are extremely fortunate to be covered by their employer by the health care plans they have? I certainly wouldnt want to be convinced to stay in a job that I didnt enjoy because I couldnt afford to leave the care plan that went with it.

Please dont think I am critisising the system you have, im just curious about it and am very interested in all of your opinions. I know Michael Moore's films tend to be like propoganda, but he sometimes raises some excellent questions that seem to go un-answered.

So, for a family of 5, if all in general good health, how much would I expect to pay in premiums to a decent health care plan?
For our plan at DH's company at the 9.4% you stated, so the low rate, you would pay about $200/month MORE for your coverage then we do for our coverage. So much for the 'free' health care in the UK, right? For our plan I would say that we pay on the high side of average just based on past posts here about how much people pay monthly for their health care in the US. We have GREAT coverage for that too though. We have a $20 co-pay for each non-preventative office visit-so if you are going in for your yearly physical it is covered at 100%, if you are going in for an ear infection, $20 co-pay. Our medications are covered at 100% for generics and a $10-35 co-pay for non-generics depending on the medication.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #92
PlutoLuvr
KORT RORP/ERS AULS TKPWET T LA*S WORD :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jasmine View Post
You can all form an organization and try to get a policy that way. A lot of professional organizations do this.

ETA: Info from the National Court Reporters Association http://ncraonline.org/AboutNCRA/Memb...ce/default.htm
Ahh, thank you for bringing to the table NCRA, for which I am an active member and write articles for the JCR, Journal of Court Reporting.

If you'll notice the types of plans, they're not "group" coverage that come with "group" benefits, i.e., the protections of HIPAA. There's short term and major medical. Wonderful if I need a heart transplant or a prosthetic, but really useless for labs, office visits, mammograms, colonoscopy, etc.

Also, you still are at the mercy of the insurance company with Marsh. They can deny your application, accept your application but with many exclusions, or cancel you if accepted once you make a claim. And have you checked out the rates? Higher than COBRA!

There was, however, a bill that we were all hoping would pass last spring. It was called the Health Insurance Marketplace Modernization and Affordability Act (S.1955). One of the things it would have done was extended the protections afforded to those in group coverage to those attempting to get individual coverage. It did not pass.

And I'm removing names here, but I want you to see that I am not alone here. Here is a thread from a forum of court reporters on the NCRA site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: May 11, 2006 12:51 PM
Author: REMOVED
Subject: NCRA Needs Your Help; S. 1955 Vote Scheduled for Today

NCRA and the Small-Business Health Plan Coalition need your help to convince your Senators to vote in favor of legislation that would allow NCRA members to obtain affordable health insurance through NCRA.

S. 1955, the Health Insurance Marketplace Modernization and Affordability Act of 2005, is currently being debated on the Senate floor and will be voted on before the end of the day.

Please send your Senators a letter of support today, regardless if you have previously sent one, to demonstrate how important this legislation is to you. S. 1955 would offer independent contractors and firm owners buying power similar to what big businesses currently enjoy.

Please visit capwiz.com/nfib/issues/alert/?alertid=8167701 to submit your letter of support today. Simply enter your ZIP code and hit go. Follow the instructions in the Web form.

You can use the template letter that can be found at www.ncraonline.org/ppa/grassroots/s1955ltr.doc .
Please print a copy of your letter or copy it to a Word document before submitting. Then send that copy to Laura Dennis in the NCRA Government Relations Department so we can track our progress. Laura can be reached via email at ldennis@ncrahq.org or via fax at 703-556-6291.

Date: May 11, 2006 08:17 PM
Subject: Results?

It's 8:16 P.M. here on the East Coast. Has anyone heard any results of the debate/vote?

Thanks.

Date: May 12, 2006 01:04 AM

Yes, I am wondering myself. It's 1 a.m. now here. I sent my letter in.

Date: May 12, 2006 09:39 AM
Subject: An 8:30 a.m. Education!

Just finished spending some time on the U.S. Senate website. If you think you understand the workings of the Congress, a few minutes on the Senate website will disabuse you of THAT illusion!!

There was a motion and vote for cloture, which, I take it, is a motion for limiting discussion. I can't discern whether the vote was to limit discussion, or against limiting discussion.

However, the vote was nearly overwhelming, with only 2 nay's and 2 who did not vote. The rest were yea's. I have to say that Kennedy and Kerry voted for it, and I had sent a letter earlier to them asking them to support the legislation. Whatever the actual outcome, I have to conclude that the vote was favorable and is going to proceed to the next action.

Any legislative/congressional experts here who can interpret the Senate's action accurately? (Guess I'm going to pick up a book or paper or document of some kind on congressional procedures. Haven't felt so ignorant since I took calculus years ago!)

Date: May 12, 2006 06:34 PM
Subject: affordable health insurance

Well, I did send an e-mail to the two senators from California and received confirmation that they had received it.

I am just curious. Who were some of the opponents and did they state their reasoning for their opposition?

Date: May 13, 2006 05:11 PM
Subject: U.S. Senate Web Page

Greg, when I went to the US Senate webpage, there was a roll call of the votes.

Perhaps we can identify which Senators and from which states were among the 43 who threw a monkey wrench into it all. What's to stop another letter writing campaign to those Senators, urging them to reconsider, should the motion be brought again....or, whatever....

Date: May 13, 2006 06:30 PM
Subject: health coverage

I would just like to understand why they blocked it. The healthcare dilemma in our country is just unconscionable.
My wife is an RN, works in a hospital, and she is not benefitting from the huge healthcare premiums that keep going up and up and neither are the doctors. It is at a point where the poor, the indigent, can get healthcare, the rich can get healthcare, the middle class who is not provided a plan through their employment is just about screwed. This to me is a priority situation. I think CNN and all those news programs that reguritate the news over and over 24-hours a day should be talking about what happened to this bill and what the motivation was for blocking it. It all makes me sad. It will take years to fix what this administration has done. Maybe my kids will see things right again.

Date: May 14, 2006 12:55 AM

What is sad is that sometimes it doesn't matter how much money you make. I saw a post on another message board where a girl said her dad has diabetes and if he gets insurance it would be $3000 per month. Yes, if he was wealthy he could afford that but if he's got enough $ to afford $3000 for insurance he doesn't need insurance. In my case it wasn't even an issue of being told the premium would be high. Three companies just flat refused to insure me.

Date: May 12, 2006 12:05 PM
Subject: Small-Business Health Plans Bill Blocked in Senate

Last night the U.S. Senate voted 55-43 to invoke cloture on The Health Insurance Marketplace Modernization and Affordability Act of 2005 (S.1955), which was introduced in November 2005 by Sen. Michael Enzi (R-Wyo.). Unfortunately, while the majority of Senators voted in favor of the motion, Senate rules require 60 votes to invoke cloture, which is the parliamentary procedure by which debate is ended and an immediate vote is taken on the matter under discussion.

NCRA and the Small-Business Health Plan Coalition would like to thank everyone for their support of S. 1955. In total, more than 450,000 petitions and 40,000 calls and letters urging action on SBHPs were sent to the Senate in recent days.

NCRA Executive Director and CEO Mark Golden, CAE, said, "We are proud of the way NCRA members stepped up to the challenge and rallied around the Small-Business Health Plan bill. Hundreds of NCRA members answered our call for action and sent letters to their Senators in support of this legislation. NCRA will not give up on this effort to ensure affordable health insurance for all NCRA members."

The SBHP Coalition is now considering how it can get this vital legislation back to the Senate floor as quickly as possible. Please look for more information in a future Newsflash or on NCRA's Web site.

Date: May 12, 2006 01:26 PM

so this means it failed? That is so sad. I could cry. I just wish I could afford decent healthcare.

Date: May 12, 2006 07:04 PM

I too wish we could get affordable health insurance, but in my opinion, S. 1955 isn't the answer. I did a Google search on it, and I found some interesting articles about it. So before anyone jumps off the deep end, you might want to check out this news report, which is one of many I found on the subject:

*******.com/hafc4

Date: May 13, 2006 06:20 PM

I just wish that they would take off the income restrictions for Medicaid so that even if you aren't low income you can get state health insurance. In Florida they have like five different plans for children so that even if you are over the poverty level but can't get insurance on a group you can get decent coverage. There is nothing for those of us over 18 who can't get a group. I have insurance finally but it covers about nothing. Before this policy I was refused by three different companies.

Date: May 13, 2006 06:28 PM
Subject: Complex issue

By all means members should consider all sources of information and form their own judgments, but the article cited is particularly one-sided.

Yes, Association Health Plans would reduce states abilities to impose their own restrictions and conditions on healtcare offerings. But it is precisely the balkanized nature of state-by-state regulation that allows insurance companies to achieve the most profitable (for them and their shareholders) conditions in each state and prevents groups like NCRA from forming a national pool of buyers with enough clout to negotiate affordable and meaningful coverage for reporters across the nation.

The statement that the bill has not had a hearing is incorrect and disingenuous. The fight for association health plans has been a multi year effort and there have been numerous hearings and opportunities for public comment. The concerns about impact on state health plans are legitimate but have been addressed in S1955.

The bottom line is whether you believe NCRA and groups like it should be allowed to negotiate on a national basis to secure the best possible deal for health insurance for its membership? We think yes and will continue to press for passage of the bill.

The cloture vote on Friday was a disappointment and a setback. Even though a majority of Senators were for passage, all it takes is 41 votes to avoid forcing opposing senators to go on the record on affordable health insurance for the self employed and small businesses.

Date: May 13, 2006 10:06 PM
Subject: American Cancer Society opposed the vote

The following e-mail message was sent to my mom, a breast cancer survivor. Apparently, the American Cancer Society was vigorously opposing passage of this legislation, although at this point I'm not clear why. I haven't talked to my mom about it yet. She just forwarded me the message.

MAMMOGRAMS SAVE LIVES.

HELP US SAVE MAMMOGRAMS.

We Saved Mammograms!!

Dear Janette,

We did it!

Moments ago, the U.S. Senate failed to pass S. 1955.

The vote was close and the debate was fierce. But, at the end of the day, tens of thousands of cancer advocates around the nation stood up and let their Senators know this bill would be harmful to our fight against cancer.

We stopped the U.S. Senate from eliminating guaranteed insurance coverage for mammograms and other life-saving benefits for cancer screening and care!

The vote that just took place was on a process called cloture. Before Senators can have a final vote on a bill, they must pass a motion that cuts off debate and discussion on the bill. That �cloture motion� requires 60 votes. Your actions led to more than 40 Senators opposing cloture, preventing the bill from proceeding.

Visit our vote chart to find out how your Senators voted.

These past two weeks have been a remarkable time for the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN). You and your fellow cancer activists around the nation have produced an unprecedented level of grassroots activity and have left an unforgettable mark on Capitol Hill.

In just two weeks, ACS CAN volunteers have:
Sent 167.000 emails
Made 8,600 phone calls
Held nearly two dozen media events and rallies

Together, we have once again made cancer issues a priority in Congress. Your U.S. Senators heard from you loud and clear and we can�t thank you enough for your efforts.

This incredible victory gives us great momentum as we fight for our other priority cancer issues. These issues include more funding for cancer research and re-authorizing the federal program that provides mammograms to those cannot afford them. We look forward to working with you on these issues later this year and into the future. Please visit www.acscan.org on a regular basis to stay updated on these issues and more.

Thank you so much for your actions over the past two weeks and for your passion toward this and many of our other cancer issues.

Without you, we could not have won today�s vote. Without you, cancer issues would not have catapulted back to the front burner on Capitol Hill. Without you, we would have taken a turn in the wrong direction in our fight to defeat this terrible disease.

But, with your continued support of ACS CAN and cancer issues, we can and will make cancer issues a national priority at the federal, state and local level. Please continue to be a part of all of these efforts � we wouldn�t have won without you, and there are more fights to win ahead!

Date: May 14, 2006 12:53 AM

All of this is so confusing to me but am I understanding correctly that the Cancer Society didn't want this to pass because it wouldn't be mandatory that a mammogram be covered? Because if that is the case they should know that if you have NO insurance NOTHING is covered. I'd rather pay for my own mammogram than have to pay out of pocket for chemotherapy treatment. But like I say, this is all totally confusing to me so maybe I am misunderstanding.

Date: May 18, 2006 06:10 AM

It appears that the democrats voted against us getting affordable health coverage and the republicans were for it. Politics is disgusting and not good for health. And we're paying for their health care!

Date: May 18, 2006 11:53 AM
Subject: if you look closer...

The Republicans were trying to, under the guise of getting us favorable health coverage, push through yet another giveaway to their true constituents, the insurance companies. The Democrats, while supporting the idea of small business health plans, were able to block a truly bad bill from becoming law.

While I'm hopeful that a newer, fairer version of SBHP comes to the floor, I'm not holding my breath either.

Date: May 18, 2006 12:46 PM

Earlier in this thread I provided a link to an article that was labeled as "particularly one-sided." This link will probably also be labeled the same way, as both Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan and Illinois Senator Dick Durbin are both Democrats. But with 39 attorneys general opposing this bill, you have to believe it was terribly flawed.

http://www.ag.state.il.us/pressroom/...20060425b.html

Date: May 18, 2006 04:00 PM

I agree it was probably terribly flawed. I'm not so sure that the present situation is any better, however.

Date: May 18, 2006 05:07 PM
Author: Peter Wacht (pwacht@ncrahq.org)
Subject: Dealing With This Issue

(NAME REMOVED) raises a good point, on the need for a fair version of SBHP. The challenge, of course, is that competing interests on both sides of the aisle, Democrats and Republicans, as well as competing interests on both sides of the debate, whether professional organizations, state authorities, etc., all have a different definition of what's fair, because they all have different needs. And that will obviously play into how these various groups frame the issue.

I think it'd be fair to say that the House bill that was passed was a good bill, with flaws. The Senate bill was a good bill, with flaws. Neither was as good or as bad as its most partisan advocates characterized it.

The Senate action, unfortunately, blocked the possibility of moving the two bills to conference, where a compromise could be worked out and the best possible bill would have resulted. Would it have been the perfect bill? No, that's not possible. But it would have been a start.

Regardless, the goal for NCRA remains the same: getting affordable healthcare for small businesses and individuals. And we'll certainly put our best efforts toward achieving that goal.

Date: May 19, 2006 12:20 AM

I wish we could just get Medicaid on a sliding scale or something based on income.

Date: May 25, 2006 10:39 PM
Subject: Response from a senator

Here's the answer I got back from one of Michigan's senators. Haven't heard from the other one yet. Thought you all would be interested.

May 25, 2006

Thank you for contacting me to support the Health Insurance Marketplace Modernization and Affordability Act (S.1955). I understand how difficult it is for small businesses to provide healthcare coverage for themselves and their employees, and I share your strong desire to get something done soon to make health insurance more affordable.

As your Senator, I have been fighting to make this happen, and nothing would please me more than to see health care measures passed for small businesses and the self-employed.

Unfortunately, while well-intended, S. 1955 has several unintended consequences that undermine those who currently have health insurance while not helping small businesses and the self-employed as much as supporters have advertised. Michigan's Attorney General, Mike Cox, along with the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Nurses, the American Cancer Society, and over 300 other groups are opposed to this bill because it would put many Michigan families at risk of losing their health insurance, especially those with the most health care needs. It would also jeopardize access to a number of health care services, including cancer screenings, childbirth, OB/GYN services, mammograms, and diabetic drugs.

This bill does not just affect small businesses. Every state-regulated insurance plan could choose to opt-out of state rating rules and consumer protections. That means 2.7 million people with health insurance in Michigan could see their rates go up, while receiving fewer health care services. In Michigan, we prohibit Blue Cross Blue Shield and HMOs (which cover 80% of Michigan's market) from charging higher premiums based on health status, which means a person can't be charged more for health insurance because they actually need it! Thus we spread the risk across everyone regardless of their health status and lower the cost for people who actually use more health services. That's what insurance is about - spreading the risk. S. 1955 would require that insurers take into account age or health status or both in setting premiums; meaning a 50-year-old with high blood pressure or diabetes would not get the benefits of being in a "pool" with healthier people. Instead, they would pay higher rates, possibly getting no benefit from this bill at all.

People in the remaining 20% of the market in Michigan (the commercial market) could also see their premiums increase greatly. S. 1955 would allow insurers in this market to bypass Michigan law and increase the variation in premiums. People could be charged more for their health care insurance under this bill than they are currently charged in Michigan.

There is another approach that allows small businesses and the self-employed to have the benefits of pooling without the problems caused by S. 1955. I am a cosponsor of legislation that would create an insurance pool for the self-employed and businesses with fewer than 100 employees to help them bargain for lower prices and keep administrative costs down, while providing tax credits for companies that cover part of their employees' premiums. Unfortunately, the Majority Leader would not allow a vote on this alternative. I believe there is a compromise between these approaches that would provide the affordable health care for small businesses that is desperately needed. I will continue to work for this approach.

Thank you again for contacting me about this critical issue. Please don't hesitate to do so again if ever I can be of assistance to you or your family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I am not alone here. I'm thrilled some on these boards have been lucky enough to secure individual policies for their families, but many of us can't! Because the laws protect insurance companies on the individual side, but the opposite for the group side.

Obviously Marsh does not take care of our needs if we were all so vocal about this bill.
PlutoLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #93
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I think there are probably pros and cons to both sides of the border. As with anything we do need to focus on the cons and see what we can do to fix.

I agree with some of the above posters that there are many resources out there for people and maybe the way to remedy these things is to have them more marketed so that those who are struggling can get help. (that commercial with Montel Williams and the bus for Rxs comes to mind)

But I also think they is a warped sense of entitlement in the US. We are entitiled to healthcare?????? Our parents and grandparents paid for their healthcare like any other bill. If they were unemployed they went and found another job, doing whatever it took. Many Americans expect a handout instead of providing for themselves ( and I am no talking about those who truly need our assitance, I want us and our govt to be there for them). I think people freak out about healthcare costs and dont want to pay but they think other things are necessities. I mean electricty is a necessity in this day and age, you use it you pay your bill, if you dont you are sent to collections this is your debt, if you are unable to pay there are programs out there to help you, you need to inquire about them, the electric company is not going to seek you out, unless you let them know they are going to assume you are able to pay, same with hospitals.

Insurance coverage is a "benefit" and I know many want it changed to an entitlement. We have many entitlement programs that are very much in need of overhaul (SS, Unemployment, food stamps) because of the abuses out there.

I am just very concerend about our govt taking this over and creating a beauracratic nightmare.
AMEN!! My thoughts exactly!

Sadly, no ticker for now
mkycrzy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #94
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

PlutoLuvr

I think your situation is an especially trying one. Since small businesses are crucial to our economy I really do think more should be done to help out the self employed. That is one of the cons that is very important to address.

Legislation is appropriate action for some issues of healthcare (HIPPA, COBRA etc) so I do want our govt to help out but I just am very cautious about a govt run health system for many of my reasons I have posted.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #95
Chloe'sMom
I'm wonderful in my imperfection!

Thankfully myself, husband, and parents have been relatively healthy. My friends who have had chronic illness though with health insurance make the following complaints:

*being turned down for procedures due to not qualifying or being experimental.
*long waits to have procedures done because you have to go through a doctor referral process.
*long waits becuase the insurance wants you to get a second opinion despite the trust and care you've received from the doctor.
*the cost of the prescriptions they must take.

My father becomes unemployed in a few days - company is shutting it's doors. He is a diabetic. He doesn't qualify for Medicare.

~Amanda
Chloe'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #96
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoLuvr View Post
I work, too, and health insurance isn't available. I'm self-employed. I work in a town with about 75 other self-employed court reporters (we're all independent to remain "neutral") and none of us can secure an individual policy.

My mother owns a process service company. She is self-employed with two people who work for her. She cannot get insurance, either.

There is a loophole. I'm quickly learning about this. Government has stuck its nose in group coverage with HIPAA and has helped millions of Americans. That means your insurance company has to pay your claims and can't exclude, say, your upper respiratory system because of a cold you had four years ago as long as you stay in some sort of group coverage.

Folks who are self-employed really have no protection and no recourse. Seriously. I applied for a policy in March with BCBS. I'm appealing the rejection for the third time now! I'm 35, in good health, have never even been hospitalized or sedated, and, under the current laws, it's doubtful I will ever be able to obtain an individual policy with anyone because of this rejection. Even if I did, the law is not on my side. As soon as I make a claim, it will most likely be denied and I will be cancelled shortly thereafter. The CAN and DO reject individual policies, as one broker told me, to even out the risk they legally have to take with group policies.

So it seems those with group policies are taken care of thanks to government intervention in 1996. Those who are poor are taken care of. What about the self-employed? How's about something similar to HIPAA for us? I'm not looking for a handout, and neither are the self-employed people I know. We just want the same protections that those in group coverage get, which came about because insurance was getting a little bit too greedy and, unfortunately, the government had to step in and impose some laws to protect Americans.
You are one of the "exceptions" that I speak of....however, I am not sure about your area, but when I sold insurance in our area, we had what was called "associations" you could become members of (such as the local Chamber of Commerce, Truckers Assoc., etc) and they all "banned" together to get insurance...have you checked into anything like this in your area??? Sometimes it is not well advertised or well known....but it is worth a try. I think the biggest point here is that some think health insurance is a "right" when it is not at all...it is a "privilege" that we are not all fourtunate enough to have....but those that do not have the "privilege" do, usually, find a way to obtain it if they are resourceful...coming from an agent...do not take one agent's advise that you are not insurable...especially being young and healthy! Go to the ends of the earth....it is there somewhere...and affordable.

Sadly, no ticker for now
mkycrzy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #97
mickeyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMom View Post
Thankfully myself, husband, and parents have been relatively healthy. My friends who have had chronic illness though with health insurance make the following complaints:

*being turned down for procedures due to not qualifying or being experimental.
*long waits to have procedures done because you have to go through a doctor referral process.
*long waits becuase the insurance wants you to get a second opinion despite the trust and care you've received from the doctor.
*the cost of the prescriptions they must take.

My father becomes unemployed in a few days - company is shutting it's doors. He is a diabetic. He doesn't qualify for Medicare.

~Amanda
Make sure he signs up for COBRA to not have a lapse in coverage. I am guessing he is over 50 years old. If he is not an AARP member get him to join. Then he can apply for health insurance via AARP.
mickeyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #98
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jasmine View Post
You can all form an organization and try to get a policy that way. A lot of professional organizations do this.

ETA: Info from the National Court Reporters Association http://ncraonline.org/AboutNCRA/Memb...ce/default.htm
That's how my employer obtains its health insurance. We are a nonprofit organization and belong to the Center for Nonprofit Advancement. The Center represents nonprofit agencies in the Washington Metro region and is able to negotiate competitive group rates for medical, dental, and life insurance.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #99
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I am retired. I pay for private health insurance for myself and my DD (19). I pay almost $800 a month. Unfortunately, by the time many people are ready to retire, they have had some health problems. Most private health insurance companies will go through your past health history and put riders on your policy to not cover anything related to prior health issues. I had breast cancer when I was 31 years old. There is a rider on my policy to not cover anything related to breast issues. I had acid reflux issues. They will not cover anything related to acid reflux. DD has had IBS all her life. There is a rider on her policy to not cover anything that could be the result of IBS. It is pretty frustrating to pay so much and yet not have these issues covered.

I recently had to spend two nights in the hospital. They did a bunch of tests. At first they thought I might have had a stroke. It turned out to be a migraine. I'd never had one before, so they assumed a stroke. That two night stay in the hospital and the test resulted in a bill of $23k. Fortunately, a good portion was covered by my insurance. I don't know what people without insurance do.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #100
Gillsfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
For our plan at DH's company at the 9.4% you stated, so the low rate, you would pay about $200/month MORE for your coverage then we do for our coverage. So much for the 'free' health care in the UK, right? For our plan I would say that we pay on the high side of average just based on past posts here about how much people pay monthly for their health care in the US. We have GREAT coverage for that too though. We have a $20 co-pay for each non-preventative office visit-so if you are going in for your yearly physical it is covered at 100%, if you are going in for an ear infection, $20 co-pay. Our medications are covered at 100% for generics and a $10-35 co-pay for non-generics depending on the medication.
Our 9.4% isnt really for "coverage per say", nor is our healthcare system free, not sure where you got that impression. . Our National Insurance deducted covers lots of things, from State pension, to our state unemployment Benefits system, Child benefit etc.

Thanks for your information though.
Gillsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #101
angel659
Have A Magical Day

Sorry to be thick, but I still dont get it.

How can you or any middle class family afford $800 a month on insurance. We pay or my husband could pay something like £100 a month which is roughly $200. We would not need to worry if we were covered or not. NHS treats any illness. Also what if you find out your not insured how on earth can you afford $23k without being made bankrupt or being able to have a normal life.

I really dont understand sorry. I know our NHS policy is rubbish at times, but the security of the NHS makes me feel safe.

The main reason I am asking so many questions and I am really anxious is because when I become a qualified nurse I really wanted to live in either LA or FL. I love the sun, love America in general and the people are so friendly. With these costs I really cant see how we could afford to live or at least get to WDW It really worries me that I would be uninsurable or my family cant be insured under my company. Or if an illness came up then they would not pay.

Someone said they would not cover any gastro problems like IBS, but what Chrones Disease this has been misdiagnosed for years due to this new trend illness called IBS. I have had patients who have been diagnosed as IBS, but actually had Chrones. They wouldnt pay for that?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #102
angel659
Have A Magical Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillsfan View Post
Our 9.4% isnt really for "coverage per say", nor is our healthcare system free, not sure where you got that impression. . Our National Insurance deducted covers lots of things, from State pension, to our state unemployment Benefits system, Child benefit etc.

Thanks for your information though.
Also the unemployed and benefit fraudsters
Old 06-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #103
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

I have always had my IBS issues covered and my mom has too. She has been hospitalized for her diverticulitis as well and was always covered. She is part of a survirors group inusrance that Mobil Corp offered when my dad died. She has great coverage.

If you are coming to the states to be a nurse, I dont see you being uninsurable. You will receive health beneifts as part of your employment package, now depening on where you work, you choices may vary.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #104
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny
We were licking our own bottles to prevent the germ freaks from stealing stuff
I have much love for Mr Clean and his magic eraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel659 View Post
Sorry to be thick, but I still dont get it.

How can you or any middle class family afford $800 a month on insurance. We pay or my husband could pay something like £100 a month which is roughly $200. We would not need to worry if we were covered or not. NHS treats any illness. Also what if you find out your not insured how on earth can you afford $23k without being made bankrupt or being able to have a normal life.
It really varies from health plan to health plan. I have top notch insurance that I pay less than $100/mo for DH and I. My employer charges based on your income, job classification, and number of years employed. We don't get paid much but the health insurance makes it more than worth it. I do not have to get a referal to see a Dr either, which saves me quite a bit of time and paper work. The only downside is the cost of prescriptions.

Unfortunately I live in an area where you have to wait weeks to see your PCP for non emergency calls, and several months for specialists. On average it's about a 3 month wait for a specialist. I laugh when those against NHC cite long waits to see Dr/have procedures as why NHC is so bad - it's pretty obvious they don't live in an urban area with high malpractice premiums.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #105
angel659
Have A Magical Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
If you are coming to the states to be a nurse, I dont see you being uninsurable. You will receive health beneifts as part of your employment package, now depening on where you work, you choices may vary.
Thats what I thought. I thought it would probably come with the job. My dh wasnt sure. The reason I thought we would be non insurable is because both dh and I have asthma and so does my dd. I am also an ex smoker although I never smoked in front of my children.

I really want to move to the USA to nurse. Originally we were going to use dh job as entrance he is an Accountant well almost once he has finished his studies and I would train in the USA.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: