Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #31
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
Although the system is broken and needs to be fixed I would take Michael Moore with a grain of salt.
There is healthcare for the elderly and poor (Medicaid and Medicare) but the "working poor" may not qualify -but still not be able to afford healthcare.
Drug prices are also through the roof.

Also here in the states we are used to a high quality of health care. We spend more money in the last days of life than any other country. So that makes health care costs rise and in turn makes insurance more expensive.

If you do have insurance you can usually get relatively good care.

It is a multi faceted problem without crystal clear answers. I would hope however that you would not judge in entire system by Michael Moore.
I am sure that we have some notions of nationalized health care that may not be correct as well.
Very well said!!

Sadly, no ticker for now
mkycrzy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #32
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binny View Post
well first of all I dont think Michael Moore is the best source of information on how we do ANYTHING here in the States. It boggles my mind how he has any credibility left at all!

Secondly, I have a bit of a different perspective on health care. I split my time between the the US and Canada and have since I was born. I have seen the benefits and drawbacks of both systems.

We paid for health care in Canada as well, we actually paid MORE than we do now. We have excellent insurance offerred through DHs employer here in the States. I know we are incredibly fortunate in that regard. Its true though we pay less now than we ever did there.

I believe the care is better here. Im sorry. I just do. I had a baby in Canada and 2 in the States the difference between the 2 countries was amazing! The care that I received pre and post nantal with my girls FAR outshone the care I received with DS and he was born at an acclaimed hospital in a major city in Canada.

I know the wait that my in laws have had trying to get care in Canada have just blown my mind. one has had a battle with cancer and the amount of time he had to wait to see an oncologist was insane.

OTOH yes, there are a lot of issues here in States. Not everyone is as fortunate as we are to have great insurance covered by our employers. those who dont often struggle to find great care . We do have Medicaid here. my DD has it for her therapies and such because even with great insurance, it doesnt cover as much as she needs. We dont depend on it for medical coverage for the whole family but she qualifies with her special needs so we use it for that.
I know in other places in the States people have a much harder time finding good doctors we researched what was available before we moved here. We knew what we were getting into. I think your location is key in a lot of things here. We dont have the 10-20 hour waits in the ER that many places do. Often we are taken right in. I know that doesnt happen everywhere but we are fortunate where we live that we can see a Doc right away.

Each system has flaws but honestly I mush prefer the better, quicker access we have here than what we received in Canada.
I agree...and I think that if our national govt gets involved in our healthcare (even though it is a mess now...don't get me wrong), it will be a MAJOR disaster and WE will have these long waits to see doctors and have surgery. I think there needs to be some sort of so-called reform, but a national healthcare plan is NOT the answer....I sure do not want to be told that my son's surgery for tubes in his ears is not urgent enough for him to have surgery right away.

Sadly, no ticker for now
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #33
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I'm uninsurable as well. The insurance companies get to cherry pick who they will or will not cover. Now when I go to the hospital, not only do I have to pay out of pocket, but I have to subsidize the payments that insurance company doesn't pay.

Example. I had surgery last year that came to around 10K. If it was covered by insurance, the insurance company will pay about 4K for it, with the rest being written off. Since I don't have insurance I'm responsible for the entire 10K.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #34
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyLvr2005 View Post
Well any illegal immigrant can get free healthcare, meawhile I had to have surgery and the anesthesia wasn't covered.. BUT I DIDNT KNOW THIS UNTIL AFTER!!!
I had to pay $1800... But like I said, any other illegal immigrant... FREE.. ughhh
We have good insurance... GHI....
But alot of things aren't covered sometimes... lots of people don't have dental ins.... And if you ever needed a root canal, you'll be $3000 in the hole...
I always hear about people going to Europe or canada for dental work/, surgery.. you can get it for free and make a vacation out of it!!
I work in a doctors office.. we don't take any insurance.. it's all cash cash cash!! this is because insurance companies wind up not paying.
We accept medicare, but don't participate.. We don't accept medicaid.
Yeah...don't get me started on this!! As someone that should not even be in our country (unless they want to do it the proper way), I nor YOU should be FORCED to pay for their healthcare, groceries, etc....but WE ARE! And to boot, they end up having 20 kids and we pay for all of their healthcare too...in the end, the illegals are allowed to stay because their children are citizens...BS! Thus the need for such high taxes...makes me sick! I (along with all of my family) work for a living (so should illegals)...we do not live off of the govt.

Sadly, no ticker for now
Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #35
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan2 View Post
The hospital that I had my surgery at is for profit and the care it top notch. The profit goes to the country that the hospital is in. I am 100% for this.
I agree...This is America after-all, and we are allowed to form privately owned companies if we choose (as long as it is a legal activity)...last time I checked healthcare was legal...so IMO Michael Moore is sticking his nose into something he knows nothing about...send him back to making his 2nd class movies.

Sadly, no ticker for now
Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #36
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISUNC View Post
Health care in the USA is for the following only.

If one is wealthy!

If one has a job the Company offers Health Insurance at a reduced rate (and even this has a multitude of problems)

If one is Dirt Poor!

In some States all children are covered.

Everybody else...Tuff LUCK!

The side effects of this is a cog in the USA wheel. Way too many people not getting the proper health care. No type of preventative maintenence. People who can retire due to financial stability, and open job opportuniies...DONT retire due to the "what if I get terribly sick", the costs are outrageous.

Many people take jobs JUST for health benefits. For instance a Husband may have a good paying job, but NO benefits. His wife will take a low paying job just for Health benefits.
Not true....I do not fit into ANY of these catagories. However, I do have healthcare....it is just a must when you have a family.

Sadly, no ticker for now
Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #37
dcentity2000
Simba Cub
Is all for Wimbledon
I try to be as random and pointless as I can be

Is medical insurance in one form or another in the States a legal requirement?

Rich::
dcentity2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #38
KariC
DIS Veteran

I agree with all PPs that have told you not to just "believe" Michael Moore. You must take what he says with a huge block of salt (not just a grain of salt).

A third option that we have now in the US, and that many employers are offering is a "Health Savings Account". This is where you contribute your own money, before taxes, from your paycheck into an account. You then use this account to pay for medical expenses (even over-the-counter things qualify). Then, when you have reached your pre-determined out-of-pocket expenses, your medical care for the remainder of the year is 100%. We actually hit our 100% in April this year, due to two sick punkins, and a pregnancy becoming high risk in March. Our out-of-pocket maximum was slightly over $5000, we reached it, and now EVERYTHING IS PAID FOR. Except over the counter things. That makes it cheaper for us to go to a doc for prescription allergy meds, instead of using over the counter. Of course, we're all already on those anyway....that helped us get to our OOP max.

We do own a small tech business...over 20 employees....but even when it was just my DH, we made health insurance a priority. We provide it at 100% for our employees, and provide "seed" money for our employees if the choose to do the HSA option (it equals what we would pay for the PPO). Several have, some don't...and they choose the PPO coverage which is awesome, too. We have had some subcontractor types that will choose to be subs and get 1099 (a tax form that can be used for subs), in part b/c they are CHOOSING not to have health care from us. They are young, single, and feel healthy. So, they'd rather get paid more than have benefits from their employer. You would be suprised at the number of people that do this!! (Just listened to a radio show on this today, 700 WLW?)

Anyway, insurance is not ALL bad here. I would presume that you would move here WITH jobs (I think you would have to in order to get Visas?), and you just make sure you take jobs that would provide good insurance.
KariC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #39
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISUNC View Post
Anesthsia was NEVER covered by many Health Insurers!
Nor is Blood! Only if you donate blood, can you recieve "Free" blood if needed!
Maybe not with your plan, but coming from someone who has had three c-sections (using anesthesia each time, of course), among various other surgeries, I have never had it denied. Unless I am misunderstanding and you are speaking of a National healthcare plan that does not cover it. I also know that most private insurance companies in the US do cover it due to the fact that I sold employee benefit package insurance programs for over 5 years (health/life insurance benefits to employers for their employee's benefit package).

Sadly, no ticker for now
Old 06-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #40
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binny View Post
well first of all I dont think Michael Moore is the best source of information on how we do ANYTHING here in the States. It boggles my mind how he has any credibility left at all!

Thank you thank you thank you. That man has made more documentaries that had so much garbage and half truths. Yes our healthcare has many flaws and needs fixing but please do other research and do not put an ounce of belief in anything he says!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #41
KariC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcentity2000 View Post

As an employee ,nope, you may opt out, even if your employer offers it. Many will even negotiate a higher salary if they decline health insurance.

Many qualify for gov't assistance, but many don't (as PPs have mentioned).

Now, in divorces, etc....a judge can require it of parents.

But, as a rule.....it's not a legal requirement. It's a benefit.
KariC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #42
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No, not at all.

Sadly, no ticker for now
Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #43
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

Quote:

No.
Many people dont' have it. Thats the problem.
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #44
freckles and boo
I occasionally lurk on the UK board
I can't tell you all the stupid things I have seen my husband do while wearing sandals
Bird doo on my sheets isn't sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkycrzy1971 View Post
I agree...This is America after-all, and we are allowed to form privately owned companies if we choose (as long as it is a legal activity)...last time I checked healthcare was legal...so IMO Michael Moore is sticking his nose into something he knows nothing about...send him back to making his 2nd class movies.
Um, he is making movies. That is is medium. Just because you don't like him doesn't make him uninformed nor does it make your opinion more informed. I believe that there is very high-quality healthcare available in this country partially because of private enterprise, but it isn't available to everyone. There is a huge moral and ethical issue when you are talking about letting people languish or die in the name of profit. Of course, I haven't seen the film yet but my understanding is that this is his point. Not everything should be about money. Police and firefighters don't respond to calls based on whether someone has delinquent property taxes or not. They deal in life and death as well and they do their job without asking someone fill out their registration papers while bleeding or while their houses are burning down. This may seem like an apples to oranges comparison because hospitals are required to stabilize any patient that walks into the emergency room, but what happens after that? Many don't get follow-up care or receive additional testing and services because they can't pay. They sure aren't going to get that high-quality care those of use with decent insurance take for granted.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #45
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1gill View Post
Michael Moore is correct. How can a hospital be FOR PROFIT? Better question, WHY should a hospital be FOR PROFIT? It's flat wrong. I have health insurance, and you know it is the BIGGEST PAIN IN MY you know what! The problem is I have a chronic progressive illness, which means I take away from their bottom line.... I am forever AND EVER going through circles trying to get my procedures and visits covered. I don't know how I manage it at times, at times I give up and just pay even though I know it's a covered benefit. I cannot spend all my time and more importantly, energy fighting the insurance companies... and don't even start on our prescription plan, that is even more a mess... we have to mail order all our medications, then they always have questions, or give you one refill, so every 3-4 months you're starting the process for X number of drugs all over again, new prescriptions, new forms, new everything.... our plan only covers one visit to a pharmacy per year....

Health insurance in this country is only for the healthy..... and if all you've ever been is healthy, you have absolutely no idea...
You have a problem with insurance not hospitals!

I worked for both a not for profit healthcare system and a for profit healthcare system. I worked for the for profit for 13 years. These hospitals are all across the country and most are top notch in the areas they serve. Our CEO took great pride in our JCAHO accreditations. We always scored very high in these capacities. And our hospitals treated everyone no matter what their ability to pay.

Not for profits dont just run themselves, they have to rely on revenues, cost cutting and on fundraising to in order to run daily operations just like any other business. I think many are mislead by the nonprofit status. Believe me I reported to the CFO and they totally cared about the bottom line!

The for profit has investors and can grow through that means.

DH currently work for a not for profit hospital system and you know what helps sustain them, the bunch of for profit medical entities that they have.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: