Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Tiny tragedy has struck....

Yesterday I rescued a little mouse from the vice-like grip of my cats mouth. Luckily the little thing wasn't hurt. She was very sweet and fairly tame. We borrowed a cage from a family member as we had decided to keep her. It was really cold outside and I figured she would probably freeze to death being a house mouse. Had her all set up with a two bedroom mouse condo. It was a sweet gig if I do say so myself. I fell asleep to the sounds of a little hamster wheel spinning around. Well..........

She escaped. I guess through one of the cage bars. It was the middle of the night and I tried looking for her but I knew it was probably a lost cause. Even if I did find her I probably wouldn't be able to catch her.

Long story short I found her in the wee hours of the morning not alive. My cat had finished what she started. Sparkles will be missed.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
Yesterday I rescued a little mouse from the vice-like grip of my cats mouth. Luckily the little thing wasn't hurt. She was very sweet and fairly tame. We borrowed a cage from a family member as we had decided to keep her. It was really cold outside and I figured she would probably freeze to death being a house mouse. Had her all set up with a two bedroom mouse condo. It was a sweet gig if I do say so myself. I fell asleep to the sounds of a little hamster wheel spinning around. Well..........

She escaped. I guess through one of the cage bars. It was the middle of the night and I tried looking for her but I knew it was probably a lost cause. Even if I did find her I probably wouldn't be able to catch her.

Long story short I found her in the wee hours of the morning not alive. My cat had finished what she started. Sparkles will be missed.
Lol...little mice are cute but I'm never sorry when the cats take care of them for me.
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Lol...little mice are cute but I'm never sorry when the cats take care of them for me.
Same here....
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post

Sorry to hear you lost your Sparkles.

But, if it goes as I have always seen it go, before the warm weather returns, you'll get to meet mommy and/or daddy and one or more of tSparkles 100's of siblings and cousins.

Quote:
Is it wrong that a dog named Mouse is a better mouse hunter than any cat we have ever owned?? All the cats we have had, could have cared less about mouse hunting. But this little guy, wow. Thank god, all of his hunting is being done outside.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
Sorry to hear you lost your Sparkles.

But, if it goes as I have always seen it go, before the warm weather returns, you'll get to meet mommy and/or daddy and one or more of tSparkles 100's of siblings and cousins.

Is it wrong that a dog named Mouse is a better mouse hunter than any cat we have ever owned?? All the cats we have had, could have cared less about mouse hunting. But this little guy, wow. Thank god, all of his hunting is being done outside.

Lol...our cats are pretty useless too and the dogs seem to kill more rodents (but thankfully also outside!). DH did wake up one morning to find a dead mouse on the kitchen floor and thought it was a cat toy at first! Thankfully they didn't bring it to me in bed, or put it in their water bowl like they usually do with their toys. Oh the joys of living in the country!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Oh yea, a wild mouse can escape through anything but glass with a locked lid. You did not know that?

Growing up we had a summer home which got mice.

The best "find" of a mouse nest, was when they squeezed into a LOCKED METAL fishing tackle box. It was unbelievable.

They tear up insulation, couches, anything with "bedding" material. At least I know what mouse poop looks like now.

There favorite spot was always the silverware drawer.

Needless to say everything was locked in totes in the cabinets and drawers.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran

Maybe you should count yourself lucky that the mouse is gone.

Have you ever heard of the Hanta Virus? It is caused by breathing is airborne particles of mouse droppings and urine........yuck huh? You dont even know you have breathed it in.......there is no cure once you catch the virus.....33% of all people infected die.

We stayed in Yosemite National Park last summer.......had a fantastic time......returned home and started getting e-mails fromYosemite and the CDC......big Hanta virus situation at Yosemite.....before it was over and done with 9 people became infected and 3 died. We worried throughout our 6 week incubation period.

The cabin we stayed in was closed soon after we stayed in it as well as all of the other "signature" cabins. Last I heard they will most likely be torn down, because of a design flaw that allowed the mice to get between the wall and build nests.

The virus is quite rare, but after that scare, there is NO WAY I would want a pet mouse!!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Another one who agrees with this.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

My husband used to own a motorcycle and one day he went to open the seat to get his registration out. A mouse had gotten into the compartment under the seat and made a home in there. We have no idea how he squeezed in there!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Good kitty!!!

(I really, really hate mice . . . )

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
2Kds2K9
DIS Veteran

I usually find a snake not too far behind my mouse encounter. The mice I don't mind, the snake I mind.

Good kitty!
2Kds2K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
#1 reason to have a cat IMO.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Yeah my youngest cat is a mouser for sure. She also likes baby bunnies. I thought it was impressive that she managed to catch the same mouse twice even though she's clawless. I am sad the mouse died but I am glad it's not running free in the house.

I've learned my lesson. We cannot have any little critters in this house. My cat is ruthless.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Just last week a woman died from contracting an infection from inhaling mice droppings. She and her husband are part of a paranormal investigation team and it seems she became ill after a night in an old farm house.

I would never keep anything wild as a pet!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Many years ago, my daughter had two gerbils who were escape artists (Houdini had NOTHING on them....) I also had a cat who didn't know he was a cat.....he thought he was a dog.

Well, the gerbils would get out and I wouldn't be able to find them. So, I would just send the cat after them. He'd find them and gently bring them to me. He'd never hurt them at all, just be mildly disappointed he didn't get to play with them. Twice I didn't even know they were out until he deposited a gerbil in my lap and then waited expectantly for his reward treat (I told you he thought he was a dog...)

We also had a rabbit who thought he was a cat (litter-box trained and had the run of the house) and a dog who was firmly convinced he was just a funny-looking kid. Most of my fur-kids have had identity problems.....
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: