Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
Parla
I don't have room for another bar
I stopped him so I could take this picture
I can't help it if DH's undies don't fit. I'm not a mind reader!

Our memorable yet forgetful trip

I won a trip. I couldn’t believe it! I’ve won lots of things in my life (mostly small) but the thing I wanted to win most was a trip to Disney World. A friend on another message board posted about a giveaway that Alamo was having. They were giving away 100 trips to your choice of Disney World or Disneyland. You could enter once online but as much as you wanted through the mail. I don’t like entering through snail mail since postage is so expensive these days so I just entered one time online and then forgot about it (I put it in my Sweep! Program to make sure I didn’t accidentally disqualify myself by entering online a second time though).

Cast of characters:

Since we went on Star Wars Weekend (June 9-14) and had such fun getting autographs I thought I would stick with the theme.

DD (4) will be Leia since she really only wanted to meet Princesses (and Kim Possible).
DS (8) will be Luke since he is Leia’s brother.
DH (38) will be known as Anakin since Anakin is the father. I’m sure he would rather be Han Solo but that’s just creepy since Han Solo had a thing for Leia.
I would be Padmť but I’m not going to refer to myself in the third person so I’ll just say me or I.

Originally this trip was for June 9-13 but we found out we got bumped off of our return flight and ended up staying an extra night. It will all unfold and I'm sure that I will cry about it again as I read it. I think I now hate airlines more than insurance companies!
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???
October 2011 MNSSHP trip! Day 3 is up! I would add links but it's only 8 pages.

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
Parla

The flight

Well, the first part of the trip was great but getting home was just awful. We didn't tell the kids we were going to Disney World until they got up that morning. It worked out well because we had a yard sale for the two days before we left and I had told them we would do something fun on Saturday if they behaved for the yard sale. On Friday Leia was asking what all we could do. I told her we were going to do one million fun things. Later she told Anakin that we were going to do two million fun things. We discussed making a list and I said I would make one after they went to bed and they could read it in the morning. Both of them insisted that Chuck E. Cheese should be on the list (this worried me that they would be disappointed that they weren't going to Chuck E. Cheese). I printed out a list something like this.

1. Get up
2. Brush teeth
3. Get dressed
4. Eat breakfast
5. Get in van
6. Drive to airport
7. Watch planes take off
8. Get on plane
9. Fly to Disney World
10. Find 1,999,990 more fun things to do

The video I took starts out with me yelling at Luke to read the list out loud. He just read it to himself. :lol Then he read it to Leia. He was confused and Leia was mad about Chuck E. Cheese and the fact that I wanted her to put her Crocs on and they didn't have any purple that would match the dress that she was wearing.

I was stressed before the trip even started because I had checked our flights out on-line to check in for the morning and realized that NWA had changed our flight back from a direct flight to a connecting flight through Detroit. It also meant we had to leave the parks earlier and get home later. Anakin called them and got them to change the flight to the next day (still through Detroit but at least we could stay in the parks all day and not get home so late). It cost nearly $400 for an extra night at Boardwalk Inn but I knew that we wouldn't want to switch hotels for one night.

FORGOTTEN THING #1 My father is going to stay at our house with the dog. I also convince him to come up super early and take us to the airport. The one bad thing about surprising your kids with a trip is they don’t have time to get their own things together. Luke didn’t like to wear his Crocs because they caught on the slide once and he was afraid of tearing them up or losing jibbitz after that. I asked him right after we told them about the trip to get his Crocs on but he didn’t because he was used to ignoring that request. I didn’t realize that he didn’t have them on until we had been waiting in the line at the airport for ten minutes. He was so upset when I pointed it out since he was the only one in the family not wearing them. I called my dad and he said there was no way he was driving back to the airport (It’s only twenty minutes but he just wasn’t comfortable with the traffic) and that we needed to buy him a new pair at WDW and he would give us the money for them when we got back. Luke didn’t like this idea since all his jibbitz were at home but he didn’t really have much of a choice at this moment.

Oh, by the way. We didn’t check any luggage on our way down. We only did carry-ons. We wanted to get out of the airport in Orlando as quickly as possible.

After all that turmoil we have now gotten through security without a problem (other than Anakin still carrying an empty Coke bottle which they just made him through away, at least he remembered to take the cap off first) and are ready to talk to the lady at the gate about our seats. None of our four seats were anywhere near each other. The gatekeeper said she would see what she could do. There was a man in front of us with the same problem. That woman doesn’t like to let a problem rest. She was on it calling for people and flagging people down she thought were on our plane. She had the seats taken care of in no time. Even though we were in the back row we were just glad to be together. The kids kept busy with their backpacks I had packed. They each had a new coloring book, Disney Crayola Color Magic (Tinkerbell for Leia and Cars for Luke), a box of crayons, a box of colored pencils, two regular pencils, a pencil box holding all the crayons and pencils and Leia had a new Littlest Pet Shop toy that she’d never played with before while Luke had the Hidden Mickey’s book that he had wanted so badly on our last trip.

FORGOTTEN THING #2 We land but are in the back of the plane so we all take turns using the potty. When I go in the plane is full. When I come out it’s totally empty. We grab our stuff and rush off. As soon as we’re in the airport I double check for my phone and it’s not in my pocket. Dang it. I stuck it in there while I was sitting down on the plane so it wasn’t all the way down and probably fell out when I used the restroom. I stopped and asked a lady at another NWA gate and she had me wait while she finished what she was doing then she ran on the plane and came out a couple of minutes later with my phone. Thank you lady! Now on to the rental car!

We make our way downstairs and to the Alamo counter. They have no idea about the giveaway but congratulate us and are nice enough to switch the driver to Anakin since he prefers to drive. $49 for a booster seat that costs $15 at Wal-Mart is highway robbery but they gave us the flight and a stay at BWI so lets just pay and get out of here. That lady sure wanted us to pay and get gps too but we were trying not to spend too much on a free trip. Next up: Check in and Epcot!
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.

Last edited by Parla; 06-26-2007 at 09:00 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
averill94
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Parla

Wally World

I almost forgot to post about our pitstop at Wal-Mart. We stopped to grab some bottled water, sun block and breakfast snack food. We also got a couple of six packs of bottled Coke for Anakin and I forgot tweezers and such. I donít have my receipt so I canít give you the whole shopping list. FORGOTTEN THING #3 We get out to the car and I notice that we only have one six pack of Coke. I know that I stuck two under the cart after we paid so I ask Anakin if he saw it. He was ticked because he was just sure he would have noticed it falling off since he was walking behind me as I pushed the cart. He drives us up to the building and I run in to try and find it. Itís not on the floor anywhere so I ask the greeter at the door if she saw anything. She told me to check with customer service and they would take care of it. I wanted to get to BWI NOW but I dutifully go to customer service because I know Anakin will be sad (aka grumpy) if he doesnít have a Coke every morning and night. I get in line and I see a six pack of Coke sitting on the counter behind the registers. I wait for my turn and tell the girl that I think the Coke is mine and she makes me sign a little book that says the Coke was found in the parking lot. Anakin really thinks he is on top of things doesnít he? I rush out to the car and we are back on our way. We can get sidetracked like nobodyís business!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Parla

Quote:
Originally Posted by averill94 View Post
Congratulations!!!
Thank you!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
momtoccc
DIS Veteran

waiting for more.... how nice to win a free trip!!

Orlando Bound - June 2014!

Previous Trips to WDW - 2012, 2008, 2007, 2001, 1995, 1987
Sea World/Aquatica March 2011

Mother/Daughter trip to DisneyLand - March 2010
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Parla

Weíre really here!

I had been told that it could take a while to check in but there was absolutely no line so I walk up and start checking in. We are done in seven minutes but not without FORGOTTEN THING #4. I am horrible about remembering people’s names so I’ll just say the lady CM got me checked in then I asked if I had a package because momstable told me that I would have something there for me. The lady said no but she would double check. Yes, there was an envelope. It only had a cool pin in it and our freaking tickets. Glad I remembered that one. Then I start to turn to go to our room but realize I don’t have any room keys. I turn back and ask her for the room keys. She starts swearing that she gave them to me (at least someone else did the forgetting this time) and having me look in every folder and envelope that I have. Then she looks down and they’re still sitting in her machine that prints them out. She apologizes (as the guy next to her can’t stop laughing at her) and hands them to me.

We are so not impressed with the BWI. Not just because of the CM at the desk but it really isn’t a cool place for kids. The shows on the Boardwalk itself at night are cool for them to stop and watch but the food options suck big time. There is no food court so unless you want to order room service or sit in a restaurant (most of which aren’t child friendly) your choices are pizza from the take out window, corn dogs from a little cart, sandwiches from the bakery (which were nothing to write home about) or snacks from the General Store. We just wanted a food court! Anakin never has an opinion about these kinds of things but he was longing for AKL and couldn’t stop talking about how much better it was. I think I know our home resort!

After they bring our luggage up I unpack quick like a bunny (FORGOTTEN THING #5 I grabbed mine and Anakin’s hairbrushes that morning but somehow only ended up with mine in the bag. After we get home we find Anakin’s under the seat in the van. I’m blaming that on his driving because I sat it on the seat next to me before we left the house. He complained every morning how his hair didn't look right. Poor Luke's didn't either since he uses the same type of brush as his father. Then we all head out to Epcot. Anakin and I have fish & chips on the brain and can’t wait to get there. Everyone is so happy. The kids still can’t believe that we are actually at WDW. We eat our HOT fish & chips. Those things wouldn’t cool down. Anakin and I were pretty much finished and Leia was still complaining that they were too hot to eat. Anakin really worked at getting a few bites to cool off. Of course it was hot outside so that may have had something to do with it. While we ate a squirrel was running all over the place and flattening himself on the ground under the tables. He was so cute but I didn’t take a ton of pictures this trip and have none to show you of the squirrel.

I think we got to Epcot between 1 and 2 PM. After we ate we started walking toward Soarin’. We stop and ride the Imagination ride first. That is so not what I remember from 1993. I thought it was horrible in comparison. I like Eric Idle too so I was annoyed. Leia loved it though. Then we head to Soarin’ and everyone is standing outside and they won’t let anyone in. OK, so Anakin runs and grabs fast passes to Mission Space then we go to the new Nemo ride. I thought it was cute, so did Leia. I really should have called Luke Grumpy because that’s what we called him as a baby and he was pretty grumpy for a lot of this trip. He always is though. I’m pretty sure it has to do with not totally getting his way. Leia will cry and get over it, Luke pouts his lips off. After Nemo we did Turtle Talk with Crush. That’s always cute and the theater was bigger than last time. The cool thing about going within a couple of years from another trip is you can skip a lot of the smaller stuff and just move on. It was so hot that when we passed a little water play area we just stopped and let the kids get soaked. Leia hadn’t been feeling well because of the heat and that perked her right up better than a nap. Then we tried to ride the Ellen Energy thingy but they shut it down. Something about a kid jumping out of the moving theater and running for the dinosaurs. Then we went to Mission Space. Leia was borderline 44 inches at home without shoes. But here she is a hair short with her Crocs. The CM was cool and asked if we had any thicker shoes at the hotel. We didn’t so I then had a mission to accomplish before we got to AK and EE. Leia and I perused the gift shop while Luke and Anakin made themselves dizzy. We were going to ride the wimpy side anyways. I bought some postcards to send to my Real Longest Thread buddies and Luke bought a little Mission Space nametag that he had talked about wishing he had bought after the last trip. When the boys came out we took off and finally got to do the Ellen Energy ride. I forgot how boring that one ends up getting. I don’t even think it was Ellen when I last rode it in 1993. After that we had ressies for a Princess dinner at Akershus and I got Leia changed into the flower Cinderella dress that I got an awesome price on clearance at the Disney Store and off we went. We got there early like they always tell you to do and the girl told us to come back in fifteen minutes. Leia insists that she needs a crown so we let her buy a Cinderella crown from the shop across from Akershus. She also wanted white gloves but we didn’t see any of those thank goodness. I had asked Leia three times throughout the day if she wanted an autograph book and she said no all three times. That was fine by me because we didn’t want to stand in a bunch of lines waiting for autographs this trip. Then we get into Akershus and she sees the princess autograph books that the other girls are holding and starts wailing that she needs one. We are standing and waiting to meet Belle at that moment so I turn to Anakin and tell him to hurry and find a princess autograph book. He runs back to the shop and we let two families go in front of us. He rushes back in and I’m still trying to open the ding dang book as we walk up to Belle. I get it open and Leia is just beaming. Anakin even got her the princess pen. The cold buffet was perfect. Leia just loves salami and cheese. The bread was yummy (it ended up being the same bread that they have at CP). Luckily we eat quite a bit off of that because dinner itself was really not good. But the princesses are perfect. Ariel is so silly, she’s waving out the window and she is the only princess that just insisted (i.e. grabbed his arm and dragged him around the table) that the brother also be in the picture. Even Cinderella was there. I was worried she wouldn’t be and when Leia saw her it made the whole darn trip worth while. She was just so happy that Cinderella was there. Dinner took way longer than planned but as soon as it was over we marched back to the resort. Illuminations was going on but we wanted to get an early start for Star Wars Weekend and were ready for bed.

I was going to do a dining review but like Goofyluver I am not wonder woman and couldn't do it all. Plus, we didn't do the DDP this time and the only ADRs we had were for Akershus and CP. Here is my dry bland chicken from Akershus though. It's my one food picture.

These are pictures of nicer things.

Last edited by Parla; 06-26-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Disneymommom
THE REAL DIS MAMA
This is a"Nice Cheap gift from Sharky"

Great pics of the kids with the princess' I love them. I will get to reading the actual trip report in my leisure though since I'm talking to you on the other thread!

(1 Christmas Item Left for Good Luck)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Hey Parla!!!!

So, glad you started this!!

Subscribing now!!

Will start reading in about 20 mins when the receptionist goes to lunch and I am up at her desk......
Old 06-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
FHS_chick_2005
Too busy to even think!
I am in love with my Butthead
I will go sulk now and suck rocks...

I'm here Parla!!

cant wait to read about your trip!!
Trentmom says I am Beavis because my HUSBAND is a Butthead!!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

It's nice to know a DIS member won an Alamo WDW trip. I remember entering way back in December.

Enjoying your report.
We stayed at the BWI too and I think there should be a Food court somewhere. We had to do a lot of planning of ADR's, mostly in Epcot.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
mom-mom2three
Mouseketeer

enjoying the trip report
Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
Parla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
It's nice to know a DIS member won an Alamo WDW trip. I remember entering way back in December.

Enjoying your report.
We stayed at the BWI too and I think there should be a Food court somewhere. We had to do a lot of planning of ADR's, mostly in Epcot.
Thanks! They had several drawings. We got notice that we won right before Christmas break and it killed me waiting until after the New Year to hear back from them. Especially since I was so excited I spent $20 to overnight the forms back to them.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Trentmom
Has a high Poodar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parla View Post
I won a trip. I couldnít believe it! Iíve won lots of things in my life (mostly small) but the thing I wanted to win most was a trip to Disney World. A friend on another message board posted about a giveaway that Alamo was having. They were giving away 100 trips to your choice of Disney World or Disneyland. You could enter once online but as much as you wanted through the mail. I donít like entering through snail mail since postage is so expensive these days so I just entered one time online and then forgot about it (I put it in my Sweep! Program to make sure I didnít accidentally disqualify myself by entering online a second time though).

Cast of characters:

Since we went on Star Wars Weekend (June 9-14) and had such fun getting autographs I thought I would stick with the theme.

DD (4) will be Leia since she really only wanted to meet Princesses (and Kim Possible).
DS (8) will be Luke since he is Leiaís brother.
DH (38) will be known as Anakin since Anakin is the father. Iím sure he would rather be Han Solo but thatís just creepy since Han Solo had a thing for Leia.
I would be Padmť but Iím not going to refer to myself in the third person so Iíll just say me or I.

Originally this trip was for June 9-13 but we found out we got bumped off of our return flight and ended up staying an extra night. It will all unfold and I'm sure that I will cry about it again as I read it. I think I now hate airlines more than insurance companies!

Your are cracking me up already....
Old 06-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
Trentmom
Has a high Poodar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parla View Post
Well, the first part of the trip was great but getting home was just awful. We didn't tell the kids we were going to Disney World until they got up that morning. It worked out well because we had a yard sale for the two days before we left and I had told them we would do something fun on Saturday if they behaved for the yard sale. On Friday Leia was asking what all we could do. I told her we were going to do one million fun things. Later she told Anakin that we were going to do two million fun things. We discussed making a list and I said I would make one after they went to bed and they could read it in the morning. Both of them insisted that Chuck E. Cheese should be on the list (this worried me that they would be disappointed that they weren't going to Chuck E. Cheese). I printed out a list something like this.

1. Get up
2. Brush teeth
3. Get dressed
4. Eat breakfast
5. Get in van
6. Drive to airport
7. Watch planes take off
8. Get on plane
9. Fly to Disney World
10. Find 1,999,990 more fun things to do

The video I took starts out with me yelling at Luke to read the list out loud. He just read it to himself. :lol Then he read it to Leia. He was confused and Leia was mad about Chuck E. Cheese and the fact that I wanted her to put her Crocs on and they didn't have any purple that would match the dress that she was wearing.

I was stressed before the trip even started because I had checked our flights out on-line to check in for the morning and realized that NWA had changed our flight back from a direct flight to a connecting flight through Detroit. It also meant we had to leave the parks earlier and get home later. Anakin called them and got them to change the flight to the next day (still through Detroit but at least we could stay in the parks all day and not get home so late). It cost nearly $400 for an extra night at Boardwalk Inn but I knew that we wouldn't want to switch hotels for one night.

FORGOTTEN THING #1 My father is going to stay at our house with the dog. I also convince him to come up super early and take us to the airport. The one bad thing about surprising your kids with a trip is they donít have time to get their own things together. Luke didnít like to wear his Crocs because they caught on the slide once and he was afraid of tearing them up or losing jibbitz after that. I asked him right after we told them about the trip to get his Crocs on but he didnít because he was used to ignoring that request. I didnít realize that he didnít have them on until we had been waiting in the line at the airport for ten minutes. He was so upset when I pointed it out since he was the only one in the family not wearing them. I called my dad and he said there was no way he was driving back to the airport (Itís only twenty minutes but he just wasnít comfortable with the traffic) and that we needed to buy him a new pair at WDW and he would give us the money for them when we got back. Luke didnít like this idea since all his jibbitz were at home but he didnít really have much of a choice at this moment.

Oh, by the way. We didnít check any luggage on our way down. We only did carry-ons. We wanted to get out of the airport in Orlando as quickly as possible.

After all that turmoil we have now gotten through security without a problem (other than Anakin still carrying an empty Coke bottle which they just made him through away, at least he remembered to take the cap off first) and are ready to talk to the lady at the gate about our seats. None of our four seats were anywhere near each other. The gatekeeper said she would see what she could do. There was a man in front of us with the same problem. That woman doesnít like to let a problem rest. She was on it calling for people and flagging people down she thought were on our plane. She had the seats taken care of in no time. Even though we were in the back row we were just glad to be together. The kids kept busy with their backpacks I had packed. They each had a new coloring book, Disney Crayola Color Magic (Tinkerbell for Leia and Cars for Luke), a box of crayons, a box of colored pencils, two regular pencils, a pencil box holding all the crayons and pencils and Leia had a new Littlest Pet Shop toy that sheíd never played with before while Luke had the Hidden Mickeyís book that he had wanted so badly on our last trip.

FORGOTTEN THING #2 We land but are in the back of the plane so we all take turns using the potty. When I go in the plane is full. When I come out itís totally empty. We grab our stuff and rush off. As soon as weíre in the airport I double check for my phone and itís not in my pocket. Dang it. I stuck it in there while I was sitting down on the plane so it wasnít all the way down and probably fell out when I used the restroom. I stopped and asked a lady at another NWA gate and she had me wait while she finished what she was doing then she ran on the plane and came out a couple of minutes later with my phone. Thank you lady! Now on to the rental car!

We make our way downstairs and to the Alamo counter. They have no idea about the giveaway but congratulate us and are nice enough to switch the driver to Anakin since he prefers to drive. $49 for a booster seat that costs $15 at Wal-Mart is highway robbery but they gave us the flight and a stay at BWI so lets just pay and get out of here. That lady sure wanted us to pay and get gps too but we were trying not to spend too much on a free trip. Next up: Check in and Epcot!

Lucky you remembered before the plane took off for its next destination.

That would have sucked!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: