Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
GOS
Livin' for Disney holidays with great friends

Birthday Celebrations, Ice Bergs, and Disney Moments - Day 2

Sunday 20th May 2007 – It’s my birthday

Happy Birthday to Me, Happy Birthday to Me, Happy Birthday Dear Meeee, Happy Birthday to Me.

Well as predicted the jet lag has had it’s evil way with us and I’m awake at 4.30am. Last night there was a lot of noise in the corridor and outside in the street. This morning, there’s a road sweeper outside and trucks backing up going…beep, beep, beep! So is it any wonder that I’m awake.

ET moment and we phone home, its 12.30pm in the UK. I’ve opened all my cards and put them on top of the TV cabinet, I leave Rick’s one till later as it’s one of those noise cards. Rick has given me one of my presents that he packed. It’s a pair of diamante Mickey Hand earrings, the rest he has left at home – it turns out that he has bought me a new laptop (which I’m using at this moment!). To pass the time, I turn up Rick’s sleeves on his fleece jacket as they were annoying him yesterday. I make some coffee, but it’s still only 5.30am. Breakfast this morning is in the hotel café, which opens at 7.00am. We opt for the cereal, pastry and fruit selection.

Today is the only day we have in SF, so we have to make the most of the time we have. By 8.00am we are waiting at one of the tram stops, which takes us all along the Embarcadero to Ferry stop/Market Street. The tram terminates here today as there is the ING Bay to Breakers 12K footrace today. Market Street stretches out in front of us and as we continue up to Union Square we pass lots of walkers, all in fancy dress. There are some fairly elaborate costumes. After a coffee and rest room stop, we stop off at Old Navy and the Virgin Mega Store. The Ghirardelli Chocolate Shop is open for us to purchase a couple of gifts and as most of the stores do not open till 11.00am, we sit in the square, catch a few rays and I take the opportunity to make a quick call home as I have forgotten a shopping list. The Disney Store is now open, but we buy nothing as the majority of the stock is for young children. Next stop is Victoria Secrets for some underwear and then Macy’s for some Benefit cosmetics. I explain that the cosmetics are for my Niece and the salesgirl offers me a free make over and of course, I have to purchase a few items for myself. Well it is my birthday after all.

We take the lift/elevator to the top floor and have Cheesecake for lunch – yum. The Cable Car Museum is located on Washington & Mason Streets, so we climb to the top of Nob Hill, definitely not something you should do after a huge piece of cheesecake. The museum is free and explains how the cables and the cars work, also how before the great earthquake how there were approx 22 cable lines in operation. The remaining 4 lines have recently been refurbished and as we take the Powell & Hyde line towards Lombard Street I get talking to the conductor/grip. He explains that all drivers and conductors have to have a lot of training and that some are trained for both drivers and conductors.

We alight at Lombard Street, the crookedest street in the world, and take the stairs down the side. Finally back to Beach Street and our hotel, but we only stop to drop off my shopping. I want to visit the tram museum, which was not open this morning, so we catch the tram to Ferry stop. The volunteer notices our accent and says that there is a tram running today that has been brought all the way from Blackpool. At that moment, the Blackpool trams turns the corner on its return journey back to the Wharf area, so we make a dash to the next stop in order to catch it.

This morning we asked at Hotel Reception where the nearest cinema was and got directions. Shrek 3 opened this weekend and it’s the ideal opportunity to see it and also stay awake. So we catch the bus to Van Ness and find the Marie Theatre. The film is OK, nothing worth writing home about. At the end of the block is Mel’s Drive in and the menu looks quite good, so we stop of for a burger and fries. It was delicious and if you are ever in SF it is well worth stopping off here for a meal. We take the bus back to Ghirardelli’s and walk along the Wharf area. It is quite cold now as there is quite a strong wind. There are also not so many people about. I think that as its Sunday evening people are making their way home, in time for work tomorrow.

We head back to our room. I have had the perfect birthday. Rick said that it was because I was with him! The weather was glorious, if a bit chilly at times, but we are both very tired as we’ve been up for about 16hrs and we walked about 10 miles today.
Heather Magic travelling with my DIS friends in October 1114 days in FL - February 11Trip to California to see my US Sista - February 2010Disney Magic - 7 day cruise - 24th October 2009 "Bash on the Boat" Jewel of the Seas - Cruise to Russia - 17th May 2009 Disney Magic - 15 day Repo Cruise 17th August 2008; Independence of the Seas - 4 day cruise - 2nd May 2008; Disney Magic - 7 day cruise - 20th October 2007; Dawn Princess - 10 day cruise - 21st May 2007; Disney Wonder - 11 day cruise - 15th Sept 2006; Disney Wonder - 4 day cruise - October 2005; Carnival Glory - 7 day Cruise - January 2003; Disney Magic - 7 day Halloween Cruise - October 2001; Disney Magic - 7 Day Millenium Cruise - October 2000

Last edited by GOS; 06-24-2007 at 01:00 PM.
GOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

sounds like a great way to spend your birthday.

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
tashasmum
DIS Veteran

SF is one place DH would love to visit.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Boudica
Earning My Ears

Happy "20th May" Birthday.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

lovely day
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
carolfoy
One has Ones hat and One's orf...
and she's back with a vengeance!
looks like someones reads the crap we write then!

lovely - ghirardelli square is the closest thing to heaven
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Other than the MK. SF is my favourite place on earth

Sounds as though you had a wonderful birthday
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

i too would love to visit SF

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #9
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Happy belated Birthday - sounds like you had a great day
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!
shakes dollar bills for good luck

Happy Birthday Heather! Sounds like it was a good one. BTW, you're the 4th person who didn't really enjoy Shrek3. You're doing a great job here.
cntkg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Great trip report - we are off to San Francisco (and Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Disneyland!) next week - the cable car museum sounds really interesting so will check it out - thanks!
suzycute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Happy Belated Birthday!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
wils
Has had Capt. Jack Sparrow on her desktop !!??
Can't stop reading 'Lost' spoilers

A great way to spend your birthday
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great day, happy birthday

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:25 AM   #15
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

What a lovely way to spend your birthday. Thanks for sharing.

Laur's
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: