Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
mom2aiden
Mouseketeer

OT: Haircut for toddler boy

I need some advice on hairstyles for my DS. He is 2 and we've had a hard time everytime we've gotten it cut. I think I'm going to take him to one of those kids salons tomorrow, but am not sure if I want him to keep his current style (which is the traditional boy's cut..straight bangs and trim around ears and neck) or go for something shorter and cooler for summer. My DH wants to use his clippers, but I'm not sure how this would look.

I don't think I have enought posts to post a pic of my DS, but if anyone out there has pics of their boys' hairstyles that are around the same age, I would be appreciative! I'm just not sure how a buzzcut/crewcut may look on a little one.

TIA and I apologize for the off-topic post!
October 2013 Boardwalk Villas
mom2aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Do yourself a favor and invest in a buzzer! Best thing I ever did! I was VERY nervous the first time I had my son buzzed because I was afraid of how he would look, but it looks great and is so easy. After the first time he got a buzz cut, I bought a buzzer and now do it myself. It really is very easy to do and saves a ton of money.
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
mom2aiden
Mouseketeer

Thanks bartleby1! That's what my DH wants to do with his buzzer. Do you leave the top longer than the sides? How old was your DS?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

My DS was probably about 2-1/2 the first time. I did take him somewhere for the first time so I could see what they do. Now, I use the #3 attachment during the winter and #2 in the summer (#2 is shorter). I use the same attachment for the whole head but then I take the attachment off and just use the razor part to trim the sideburns even and the back. I do use a pair of scissors to trim around his ears because I'm not good about getting around his ears with the buzzer.

DS is now 5 and he loves the easy maintenance. I don't even have to comb his hair, lol! Wash and go!

Now, if only I could get away with buzzing my girls, lol!
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
sconnell
DIS Veteran

Um, let me see what pics I can find.
The back of DS's head the week of his 2nd birthday.

The front that same week.

Here he is the day he turned 2.5. (Coincidence)

I do them all myself. I figure, what's the worst that can happen?
I usually do it around bathtime. And some days, it takes all day, a little at a time. I go slow. I even let him sit on the bathroom sink, feet in sink and give him dry erase or window markers and let him have at it on the mirror. lol.

I agree with the others. Get a buzzer! Play with it till you get it how you like it. Start with a little at a time. You can always go shorter!

Oh, his hair in the last is shaggy. The pic in my siggie is more how we keep it.

Old Pic, but I love it...
sconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
scouthawkk
DIS Veteran

I also say clippers/buzzer. DH cuts/buzzes DS's hair. With a good set, you get the guard attachments for the different heights. At that age, we left it a little longer on the top, and short on the sides for the summer. Currently (at 4.5) he has a mohawk (his wishes...it is only hair after all). Buzzed on the back and sides with a strip of regular height down the top center. Sometimes he wants it spiked up, but I think he may be getting bored with it. When he decides he is done with this phase, we buzz it all and let it grow back. His hair grows so quick, DH has already had to rebuzz the back and sides twice in the two months he's had the thing.
scouthawkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Princess Roo
DIS Veteran

For me, the buzz all over is just too short. DS has light blond hair and I think it makes him look bald! We do a #3 buzz on the back and sides and the just trim the top and over the ears to blend in.

Most recent visits: POR 8/06, ASMo 12/06, CBR 5/07, SSR 3/08, SSR 5/09, OKW 8/09, AKV 12/09, GF 2/10, AKV 12/11, VWL 10/13

Next trip not until 2015
Princess Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
james'mommy
I've always been a green stripe kinda girl
I love you Sweatpea

I say buzz it down. I'd do my son's on a 1 if I had my way. Unfortunately his father doesn't agree. Plus my son doesn't want to be "bald". We are currently using a 2. A buzz cut is a must all year round for my son because he has 2 cowlicks that swirl together to form a little mohawk in the back of his head.
james'mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
mom2aiden
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate the pics too..those are really helpful and your son is adorable!! I think we may go for it...I"ll just make sure DH's clippers have the long guards on it, which I think it does.

Thanks again
Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Tikicampers
DIS Veteran

If he has straight hair, you can buzz it. DS has curly hair, and it won't take a buzz cut. I have tried two kids cuts places, and they just don't do a great job on my DS. He has my hair. I just take him to my salon. The ladies love him, and it only costs a couple bucks more than the kid place.
June '07 (DD first trip-ASSp)
Me DH DS3 DD4mo
"Shiver me Tiggers"
Tikicampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
susykt4
DIS Veteran

I can barely comb my own hair so I was really nervous about buzzing my son's. My first buzzcut turned out MUCH better than the little boy cuts he was getting at the walk-in places! He was so awful- just freaked out and cried for them- but was good enough for me that I could actually finish. My point is that if "I" can buzz a kid ANYONE can!

I used a 3 on the sides and a 5 on the top. I started when he was about
1 1/2 but he had a lot of hair from birth. He's now 4 1/2 and LOVES going to the haircut place so I've been relieved of that duty.
susykt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
Princess Roo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by susykt4 View Post
I used a 3 on the sides and a 5 on the top. I started when he was about
1 1/2 but he had a lot of hair from birth. He's now 4 1/2 and LOVES going to the haircut place so I've been relieved of that duty.
I didn't know you could get larger than 3! Do you know if you can buy them separately or if they have to be part of a set? We don't have a really fancy one, but it may be worth buying one to not have to scissor trim the top. I think a 5 would look good, but the 3 is just too short for him on top.

So, ummm...OP, can I change my rec to buzzing, but make sure you have long attachments?

Most recent visits: POR 8/06, ASMo 12/06, CBR 5/07, SSR 3/08, SSR 5/09, OKW 8/09, AKV 12/09, GF 2/10, AKV 12/11, VWL 10/13

Next trip not until 2015
Princess Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #13
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I do my son's hair too. He's almost 7 now, but here was a picture of him at about 2-1/2.

I use a 3 on the back and sort of blend it into the top. I cut the top with scissors. I do it first with the regular scissors but it sometimes looks a little choppy. Then I go back with some special scissors that look sort of like pinking shears and it smooths it out (they're not really pinking shears. I think they might be "thinning" shears... they cut some of the hair but leave some uncut...you buy them in the aisle with the hair cutting supplies. I think I got mine at walmart.)

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine. (After you master DS's, your DH will probably be next in line. Even my BIL will stop by if he gets word that it's hair-cutting night. LOL!)
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
IlliniMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Roo View Post
I didn't know you could get larger than 3! Do you know if you can buy them separately or if they have to be part of a set? We don't have a really fancy one, but it may be worth buying one to not have to scissor trim the top. I think a 5 would look good, but the 3 is just too short for him on top.

So, ummm...OP, can I change my rec to buzzing, but make sure you have long attachments?
Yes, you can get attachments up to an 8 I believe. (I'm a hairdresser.) Usually the attachments come in sets, but you might be able to find individual ones at a Sally Beauty Supply. Just make sure they are made for your brand of clippers. Wahl seems to be the most common brand, and Andis is also pretty common. I don't know if the attachements are interchangable though. I know my Wahl blades won't fit on my other clipper (can't think of the brand of it offhand.)

A #4 is 1/2 inch, a #2 1/4 inch, #1 1/8 inch, and the #3 is whatever is between 1/2 and 1/4 inch. LOL
IlliniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #15
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniMouse View Post
...and the #3 is whatever is between 1/2 and 1/4 inch. LOL
3/8"?! Whoo-hoo! I'm patting myself on the back because I didn't even need a calculator. (Sometimes I'm math challenged! )
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: