Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
JJSinPA
Earning My Ears

Advice- young cardiac child

So, after spending all of her life pushing "normal" I really think I need to get a DAS for my daughter. For several reasons- her exhaustion level being first.
But how do I do this?
Some background, we have 6 kids ages 3-12. All are laid back and have always gone with the flow- they are the type that cheerfully slow it down but on this trip I really want them to live it up. Joanna is now tall enough but unable to ride anything that could trigger tachycardia, etc. Joanna is doing medium right now, we never know how she will be for our December trip. She loves princesses and cookies so we should find plenty for her She will be sleeping in the stroller a lot so when she is chipper I want to make the most.

Here is my question- we have our 60 day fastpass coming up. Do I just focus on fastpasses for the rest of the crew? Can Joanna and I can just use her DAS and do the other little things? She has no need for the big fastpasses- the only one is possibly Anna and Elsa that is "popular". Will I be able to take her to say, Dumbo or Peter Pan or a Cinderella meet, while the kids race around to space mountain? I want them ALL to have fun and we are going to do 1-2 hours a day separated to accomodate. We will do It's a Small World together as a family even when I am so old they are lifting me out of my wheelchair to get on.
But there is plenty to do separate- I just am overwhelmed! Not sure how the DAS actually works for us.

Any general advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
JJSinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

First, I'd suggest getting a stroller-as-wheelchair tag. This will allow you to bring the stroller into queues and shows where it otherwise would need to be left outside. She can sit to conserve her energy, get up and walk when she desires.

As for DAS -- it is most effective when used along with FP+. You can make different FP+ choices for you and her versus the rest of the group (or alternate which adult is with her). The DAS will have a wait equal to the standby minus 10 minutes, so to get a lot done in a short time, you don't want to skip the FP+ options.

I can't quite tell from your post what other needs she has. When requesting a DAS, you will want to focus on non-stamina concerns; that will be accommodated with her stroller-as-wheelchair. If you haven't already, I suggest you check out the WDW Disability Access Service Card sticky near the top of this forum.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
JJSinPA
Earning My Ears

Thank you!
At this minute, I am thrilled that fatigue/normal side effects of congestive heart failure are her only issues. That could change tomorrow!
We went a year ago and I was determined to just go as a normal family. We had a great time. But it was very clear that we would wait in the queue and she was exhausted and only got to experience a bit. It was not as efficient during her non-rest times.
Other considerations would be temp-regulation in either cold or warm temperature. We dress her accordingly but long periods of hot or cold (and boy, I am hearing December can swing!).
I will look at the fastpass plus scheduling- that is a good point about splitting. I did not think of that! Will look at the map and try to find a good plan.

I am so excited that we can take them at Christmas.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

You mention that your DD has multiple issues that might require the DAS. If fatigue and lack of stamina is the only issue, then it is likely she would not be issued a DAS. The stroller as a wheelchair tag would likely be offered.

If she does qualify for DAS, you can use it for any meet and greet that offers FP.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
JJSinPA
Earning My Ears

The stroller as wheelchair tag might be exactly what we need! Thank you! I talked with my husband last night and as long as she is doing well, that will be awesome.
If she is not as well, we will take it up a notch but hoping that is not the case!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
elainer
Earning My Ears

We just used the "stroller as wheelchair" a few weeks ago. It was the first time we have ever needed any type of mobility accomodation. It was perfect for my son who just can't walk that far because extensive walking causes him a lot of pain. It was great! It was a really good experience for our family.
elainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
JJSinPA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainer View Post
We just used the "stroller as wheelchair" a few weeks ago. It was the first time we have ever needed any type of mobility accomodation. It was perfect for my son who just can't walk that far because extensive walking causes him a lot of pain. It was great! It was a really good experience for our family.
Thank you for sharing your experience!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: