Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #16
Cruella 66
DIS Veteran

Location: Two stars to the right and straight on until morning

Wow...can't believe I found this thread. My mom was just diagnosed with ALS in April. She's determined to be as independent for as long as possible but is having speech difficulty, swallowing difficulty and is getting weaker and more tired by the day per my sister. It's very difficult too as our grandfather also died of the disease in 1985 when he was 54. My mom is currently 57. I feel like I'm staring my future in the face as it's probably FALS and I, my siblings and children have a 50/50 chance of getting it. I'm going to hook up with the local ALS support group when I finish with our Disney trip. I'm also taking Prozac, trying to stay positive and accepting that my future is up to a higher power. My heart really goes out to the young man, 35, with the disease. Cindy
Cruella 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #17
bethifoody
Mouseketeer

Sadly, joining in the conversation...

Hi. I'm very sorry to hear of all your loved ones' diagnoses. My mom was diagnosed with ALS in April of this year - a very scary fact when you consider that her father died of it over 20 years ago. She's doing ok so far, I guess, although I can see changes every time I see her. She's still walking, driving & going to work. Her speech has been slurred for many months now, and she's beginning to have trouble walking. She is being seen at a local ALS clinic through the Univ. of Michigan, so I've no doubt that she's receiving the best care possible.

Someone mentioned the Walk to d'Feet ALS; I'm walking this year in a local Walk (Howell), and my sister will be walking in the Walk in her area. I feel like it's the least I can do.

Sending to everyone. I want to thank my sister, Cruella66, for sending me the link to this thread.

Thanks for posting, everyone. It's good to know we're not alone!

Beth in MI,
CR, 8/18-23
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #18
jacksonsmom
Can you guess who I am a mom for? Come on, I'll give you three guesses!

Wow I am surprised to have found this thread. I never come on this board, didn't really know about it.

First I am very sorry to hear all of those that are dealing with ALS. It really is a nasty disease. I only pray one day someone finds a cure!

My dad currently is battling ALS. He started having some muscle weakness in his right hand in August 2005. By January of 2006 the doctors diagnosed him with ALS

My dad is only 50 yrs old. Currently he is doing "OK". He just recently took a trip of a lifetime to Alaska. He really had the time of his life there. I am so happy for him that he was able to go there.

My dad can still walk but recently he is expereincing weakness in his right leg. His right hand/arm is pretty much useless. His left one has lost a lot of muscle too. In fact my DH was just over at his house this weekend changing the door handles because my dad can not turn a doorknob anymore. He now has doorhandles that you push down and then push the door out (kind of hard to explain). Since the beginning he has lost a total of around 40 pounds. He is very thin. His speech is very affected, he slurs heavily. He recently went to the Courage Center here and he will be getting a machine that he can talk through and will allows others to hopefully understand him better.
He has a hard time swallowing and coughs/chokes when he eats.

It is a VERY frustrating disease for all those invovled. My dad can not bathe himself or even help himself when he uses the tiolet

I will say although the future is bleak my dad is living life as much as he can. He CAN still walk and although it is a struggle at times, he CAN still talk! We don't know how long he will be able to walk on his own but we are thankful for whatever we get.

One thing I want to say is ALS is a HORRIBLE disease. As family supporters and caregivers we HAVE to support the person with the disease wishes! My dad will NOT go on a breathing tube. Of course knowing that I know his life may not last as long then if he did have a breathing tube But those around him have to support HIS decision. We are not the ones living with the diease.
My dad's doctors have recommended a feeding tube but again my dad just is not ready for that. He may never be ready. Again us supporters have to support his decision, no matter how hard it may be.

It has been about 1 1/2 since the official diagnosis, 2 years since the first symptom. My dad has progressed quite a bit since then. I don't know what the next year or so will bring but one thing we learned about this disease is just one day at a time and love one another.

Again I am sorry to hear those that are battling this disease.
jacksonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
Cruella 66
DIS Veteran

I am sorry to hear of everyone's encounter with ALS but I totally agree that it is the person suffering with disease that needs to call the shots and the loved ones that need to support his/her decisions; regardless of their own personal beliefs. I, unfortunately, am in Virginia and the rest of my family in Michigan. I don't see the day to day changes, falls, swelling, lack of eating, etc. Being a RN I can tell everyone the "right thing" to do according to my training but ultimately, it's up to my parents as to what they do. I can't get them to do it any more than if I were there, you know? So, honor them, put your faith in a higher power, and try to smile. Hugs to all, Cindy
Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
catsrule
Mary Jo

Wow. I haven't been back to this thread in awhile.
This is a horrible, fatal disease and I wish it would get more attention from the media. The walk to d'feet was here today. I hope it did well. My nephew, Michael, continues to struggle each day from this disease. As I have said, no one in our families has ever had it that we are aware of so it was quite a shock for us.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #21
Cruella 66
DIS Veteran

We have our walk October 27th. When I was up at my parent's over the summer I contacted family members we haven't talked to in DECADES. My grandfather died of ALS in 1985 and I was curious to find out if anyone before or since him had had the disease. They were all surprised to hear my mom had it and my grandfather has been the only other person; they'd never even heard of the disease until he was diagnosed. And longevity runs on that side of the family...if you can avoid car accidents. It's so insane...to go for how long...who knows...then to all of a sudden have two first degree relatives, father and daughter, develope the disease. Cindy
Old 09-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #22
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Sorry Artoo, I'm wishing you
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #23
hentob
Sanita clogs are fabulous
It was the best surprise
He knows to turn his ringer off

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb/nl View Post
And who knows--there is a lot of ALS research being done and a cure may come at any time!!

LITHIUM!!! Yes--the drug that is used in bipolar disorder is now slowing ALS
hentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #24
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentob View Post
LITHIUM!!! Yes--the drug that is used in bipolar disorder is now slowing ALS

Really, I have some friends whose parents are struggling with ALS and will be sure to spread the info. Thank you for posting
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
hentob
Sanita clogs are fabulous
It was the best surprise
He knows to turn his ringer off

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Really, I have some friends whose parents are struggling with ALS and will be sure to spread the info. Thank you for posting
http://www.news-medical.net/?id=34906

hentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #26
Cruella 66
DIS Veteran

Wow, that's incredible. I sent this onto my family! Thank you for sharing. Cindy
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #27
Fiver
Mouseketeer

I Have ALS

Howdy Folks,

I'm 34, married, and have a 6yr old son. I'm going to be trying Lithium in the next month. I'm staying positive, living life, and trusting God.
I've been having symptoms for a year. I was diagnosed in December. I walk with a cane(very sloooooooow), arm/hand weakness more on right side(can't write), and lots of spasticity. I feel as though I'm progressing not too quickly.

~Mel
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #28
SillyGirl30
Earning My Ears

I just found this thread today, and I'm glad I did. Sometimes you feel all alone when someone you love has ALS. My Dad (53) has ALS. He was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago, but had showed signs of it about a year before that. He has the Famila kind. My grandfather and a great uncle also had it, but out my Dad's 27 cousins that could be affected he is the only one. My dad's ALS affected his foot first and now he wears a brace. He has also has a lost of use of his fingers on his right hand. He also loses his balance and falls a good bit. He keeps going with the a positive attitude and a frustration mixed in.

Sept. 2007 Carribean Beach
4 other times with family off-site.
SillyGirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #29
Cruella 66
DIS Veteran

SillyGirl30; My grandfather also died of ALS in 1985 and he was about 53 at the time and now my Mom has it and she's 58. We have a small family on that side and my grandfather was the first for anyone to know of having it. They were VERY surprised to hear my mom has it now. She's pretty advanced. Just keep the faith and live your life fully. Wishes, Cindy
Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
SillyGirl30
Earning My Ears

Cruella 66 - I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Coping with ALS is hard. I actually went to counseling when my dad was first diagnosed. It turns out that I was grieving.

Sept. 2007 Carribean Beach
4 other times with family off-site.
SillyGirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: