Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #1321
NLD
DIS Veteran

Hi all,

Just booked a trip for fall. Staying at AKL.

The only other Disney resort I've stayed at was POR, last year. POR seemed very smoker-friendly and it was easy to find convenient DSAs.

AKL.... looking at the map, not so much.

So, question: we booked a standard view room. Looking at the map it appears a ground floor Giraffe Trail might be the best bet for access to DSA? And it appears those might indeed be standard view rooms... ? (Does anyone know where AKL standard view rooms are located?)

Or should I just request "as close as possible to a DSA?"

Thanks!

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #1322
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

There are only 2 DSA's in the entire resort. All standard rooms are parking lot view overlooking the front of the resort. To reach the closest DSA take the elevator down & cut thru the gift shop thru the side door the DSA is off to the right on the way to the bus stop.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #1323
NLD
DIS Veteran

Thanks, jjohnson!

Did they remove a DSA from AKL? on the map of the resort on the DIS it looks like there are three.

Trip reports

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #1324
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLD View Post
Thanks, jjohnson!

Did they remove a DSA from AKL? on the map of the resort on the DIS it looks like there are three.
Yes the one on the path to Mara is gone. The other DSA is near the playground
Boardwalk Villas 2007
Disneyland 2003
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #1325
jjohnson

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I just took another look at the map & it is incorrect as the one by the pool bar is gone too. I'm staying there is August. I'll post an update here when I get back.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
Disneyland 2003
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #1326
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
I was thinking about requesting Cabanas 8A. We have a smoker in the group. I do not see a smoking area around 8A on the resort map. Does anyone know if there is one around that building? Thanks for any help
Hi! I looked at the resort map too, and found some DSA's around that area but I don't see anything around 8A either. http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/CoronadoMap.pdf

Maybe try the CSR resort thread?

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #1327
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Thanks I will check
maryj11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #1328
NLD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just took another look at the map & it is incorrect as the one by the pool bar is gone too. I'm staying there is August. I'll post an update here when I get back.
Oh, thank you so much! And thanks for the heads up about the one at the pool bar being gone. (Darn. Liked the idea of one near the pool area.)

Trip reports

Old 07-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #1329
CoffeeCup
Mouseketeer

As of last month there was a smoking area very near the pool at AKL-Jambo. When you exit the door from the hotel to go to the pool, Mara is to the left. If you go to the right instead and walk past the pool, there is a nice DSA between the hot tub and the workout room. There are two benches and ash trays, and there also are several lounge chairs very nearby that people use while smoking. The benches are shaded by trees, and it is a pretty area. I've spent a lot of time there smoking, and I prefer it to the DSA in front near the gift shop. It bothers me a little that families with small children have to walk through the smoking area to get to the playground, but they could walk around the other side of the pool to avoid the problem.
CoffeeCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #1330
NLD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
As of last month there was a smoking area very near the pool at AKL-Jambo. When you exit the door from the hotel to go to the pool, Mara is to the left. If you go to the right instead and walk past the pool, there is a nice DSA between the hot tub and the workout room. There are two benches and ash trays, and there also are several lounge chairs very nearby that people use while smoking. The benches are shaded by trees, and it is a pretty area. I've spent a lot of time there smoking, and I prefer it to the DSA in front near the gift shop. It bothers me a little that families with small children have to walk through the smoking area to get to the playground, but they could walk around the other side of the pool to avoid the problem.
Thanks for the info, Coffee!

It does seem weird to have one of the DSAs on the path to the playground. Guess I'll just put my cig out if a family comes by.

Trip reports

Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #1331
ShatteredByLoss
Planning Fairy

Hello Everyone,

I stumbled across this post and read (and read, and read and started skipping pages.. then read a little more..) until I got to the end.

First, let me thank everyone for their insight, opinions and maps! Yes! Maps! My poor printer is almost out of ink now, but they are so nice to have.

I had a question that I didn't see answered. Now, I have been looking at this thread for the last two hours and forgive me if I didn't catch it.

We are going to be staying at Pop Century for the first time this trip. The map shows that it seems to be a very friendly resort for smokers. Which is good news for our trio of misfits. I was wondering (because of some fo the building locations) if it might be easier (in some cases) to actually step out to the parking area and smoke there?

Is that even allowed?

We will have a vehicle there. I assume they can't yell at me for smoking in my car (as it would be technically private property and my vehicle ) but, what about smoking in the parking area itself?

Thanks in advance~!

Loss
ShatteredByLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #1332
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredByLoss View Post
Hello Everyone,

I stumbled across this post and read (and read, and read and started skipping pages.. then read a little more..) until I got to the end.

First, let me thank everyone for their insight, opinions and maps! Yes! Maps! My poor printer is almost out of ink now, but they are so nice to have.

I had a question that I didn't see answered. Now, I have been looking at this thread for the last two hours and forgive me if I didn't catch it.

We are going to be staying at Pop Century for the first time this trip. The map shows that it seems to be a very friendly resort for smokers. Which is good news for our trio of misfits. I was wondering (because of some fo the building locations) if it might be easier (in some cases) to actually step out to the parking area and smoke there?

Is that even allowed?

We will have a vehicle there. I assume they can't yell at me for smoking in my car (as it would be technically private property and my vehicle ) but, what about smoking in the parking area itself?

Thanks in advance~!

Loss

You certainly could walk to the parking lot if you wanted to. There are really a LOT of smoking areas around POP. Ground floor rooms are closer to the DSA's of course than the upper floor rooms, but it really isn't too hard to find a smoking area at POP.

Just look for the garbage cans with the ashtrays on top. Or for a group of people!

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #1333
TinkerbellsMom0923
DisneyFreak

smoking

We had a room right across from DSA at POP in January 2009. It was great. Does anyone know how DSA's are at All Star Sports? And what's the deal with smoking in the parking lot. We were in the furthest room from DSA at CBR in January. I wasn't sure if I could smoke in parking lot, it was closer. I did but late at night.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #1334
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Will be leaving shortly for Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Tower. Anyone have locations and/or pictures of DSA's at these resorts? Have maps and BWV seems to have quite a few DSA's while I only see 2 at BLT. Was just wondering if there were any sitting areas around these DSA's. Like to sit and relax at the end of a long day ... and lots of walking! Thanks.
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #1335
jjohnson

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
Will be leaving shortly for Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Tower. Anyone have locations and/or pictures of DSA's at these resorts? Have maps and BWV seems to have quite a few DSA's while I only see 2 at BLT. Was just wondering if there were any sitting areas around these DSA's. Like to sit and relax at the end of a long day ... and lots of walking! Thanks.
Sorry I can not help with BLT but the DSA's at BWV have benches to sit. DH & I prefer the one as you exit BWI toward the BW. Its covered and more out of the way. The ones located outside the exit doors have constant foot traffic and too many glaring eyes
Boardwalk Villas 2007
Disneyland 2003

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: