Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #1111
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsmom View Post
Looking at the PO resorts, they seem to have DSAs at every building.
We were thinking we would stay at a value or moderate (outside doors to rooms) and we could go down to a DSA where we could SEE the room door and take our baby monitor with us from home so we can also HEAR her if she wakes up.
Anywhere we can do that? PO resorts looked promising for this kind of deal - anybody have any experience with this? CBR? Value resorts?
We could to Deluxe at AK or WL, but they only have a couple of DSAs so I think that's out.
Has anyone stayed in the FW Cabins? I know you can smoke on your deck there, so that would work great for us. I just wonder how long it takes to get to the parks from there.
I haven't done FW so I can't answer that one for you, and when we went to POR I was a non-smoker so can't help much with that either. I can say about POR that if the DSA is at the opposite side of the building from where you are staying that won't help much - the buildings aren't square so you could be out of sight from your door. POFQ is more rectangular so that might be better. Also there are a lot of DSA's at POFQ.

POP worked out the best for me - I was down by the lake and they have a few DSA's in that area so it would be feasible if you got a ground floor room. Poly was great for DSA's as well - (BLT, CR and AKL are the worst IMO)

Maybe the best solution would be to take turns with your DH so you both get to smoke?

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #1112
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
For the most part, the Pop DSAs are not especially convenient to the Preferred rooms. There are a number of them on the walkway around the lake, but none of the Preferred rooms face in that direction.

If I had to make a suggestion, I would say to request Building 5. There's one near the far wing, closest to the lake, and another one a little more toward the 70s Building 6.
Just to hop aboard this discussion.. are you saying the DSA's aer in the extreme left and right of the resort, plus around the the lake?!?!

ugh...

ASMov we were about 100 yards from the DSA in the Fantasia Buildings .. and that was suepr nice and convient.. far enough away from the buildings as not to affect them, but close enough that they wern't a hassle to get to in my pj's
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #1113
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
Just to hop aboard this discussion.. are you saying the DSA's aer in the extreme left and right of the resort, plus around the the lake?!?!

ugh...

ASMov we were about 100 yards from the DSA in the Fantasia Buildings .. and that was suepr nice and convient.. far enough away from the buildings as not to affect them, but close enough that they wern't a hassle to get to in my pj's
But the one near the 70's building at POP was not far from the Main building either. It was by the lake, and our room faced the side parking lot, but the DSA was right there. It made it nice. Also a lot of us would go to the main hall to get our morning coffee and then sit at the DSA outside to schmooze. (some in their PJ's too!)

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #1114
jeryruse
Earning My Ears

I love being able to share in the excitement of your first Disney vacation! We're all about character dining and fun meal experiences, so not knowing what your plans are for that day, I'll give you a few park and resort suggestions.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #1115
stitch34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is the best forum ever!!!! It is normally SO awkward to ask smoking questions...
Planning a trip for summer. Hubby and I are "social smokers" and enjoy having smokes with our adult beverages in the evening. NORMALLY when we go on vacation, we do this on the hotel balcony.
We will have our toddler with us, and were planning on doing the balcony thing after we put her to bed. Since this is not going to happen, I'm trying to be creative.
Looking at the PO resorts, they seem to have DSAs at every building.
We were thinking we would stay at a value or moderate (outside doors to rooms) and we could go down to a DSA where we could SEE the room door and take our baby monitor with us from home so we can also HEAR her if she wakes up.
Anywhere we can do that? PO resorts looked promising for this kind of deal - anybody have any experience with this? CBR? Value resorts?
We could to Deluxe at AK or WL, but they only have a couple of DSAs so I think that's out.
Has anyone stayed in the FW Cabins? I know you can smoke on your deck there, so that would work great for us. I just wonder how long it takes to get to the parks from there.

I think you'd definitely be best with a value or mod where the doors open to the outside. I do this with my kids - is nice to settle them down and then sneak out for a smoke before heading to bed myself, but want to be right near the room.
Look at the maps for the resorts you're interested and then put in a building request for what you may like near a DSA. Also we like ground floor - then don't have to be out of sight from the room when going to the elevator.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #1116
stitch34
DIS Veteran

Just back - some resort DSA observations!

First off... PLEASE can't they bring back the Reel Spot DSA at ASMovies!
We were there in August, and now in November - NO ONE is in there ever. Used to be always smokers in there. Is a great hang out spot, which now is empty. At least add a DSA if not close to the pool area - is nice to have a well-lit area late at night to smoke at!

Pop - hurrah for smoking near the pool bar! Feel so much safter late at night going out for a smoke before bed - nice and lit there and still activity of people coming in and out of main building.

POFQ - another favorite of ours - lots of benches not far from the main building, and also nice area by the pool, along with other areas!

Wilderness Lodge - did one night there - LOVED this resort. But have to say, was kinda scary getting out for a smoke. Night owl - like to sneak out after getting things ready for the next day, one more smoke before bed.
But found it late night to be a ghost town. Went the the DSA by the bar - dark and empty - and the one up front - also deserted. Not a complaint about where the DSAs where -but just amazed that wow, no night owls out there anywhere? I'm talking around midnight or so. Have to say though, wow, that lobby completely empty at that hour and decorated for Christmas - ahhh! If only could have lit up in front of the fireplace there - could have sat there all night soaking up the beauty of the place!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #1117
jamstew
DIS Veteran

I'm really surprised that the one between WL and VWL (next to the arcade) was deserted at midnight. That's usually a pretty popular spot for night owls.

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #1118
sandys
Earning My Ears

I found that the Wilderness cabins were great for smokers with little ones-the picnic table is just steps away from the front door. As for getting to the parks-there is a lovely boat ride to MK, a quick monorail ride to the Ticket and Transportation center and from there, buses to all the other parks. There are bus stops at Fort Wilderness, but travel from TT is sometimes quicker.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #1119
mgsmom
DIS Veteran

Talking

I think we are going with the FW Cabins for this trip! Especially since DD is still so little. Plus, I think it will be nice to have breakfast in our PJs in the room before heading out for the day. Looks like there will be some fun stuff to do at FW the first evening we arrive and we won't even get park tickets for that day.

On another note - are there a lot of DSAs at DTD? That would be the other place I would likely want one...
mgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #1120
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:

On another note - are there a lot of DSAs at DTD? That would be the other place I would likely want one...
There is no restriction on smoking in outdoor areas at DTD. Not a problem at all and ashtrays everywhere.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #1121
mgsmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks!
mgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #1122
courtney881
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
just back last week. Epcot esp. couldn't believe it.

It's true, our fav. DSA by the dancing fountain is gone. this is most amazing, since it was SO out of the way. it was by mouse gear, but no where near an entrance, and TOTALLY out of the main walkway. someone would have to MAKE A POINT to walk over to the DSA to catch a whiff of smoke!
the one by Coral Reef is gone. it was way out of the way. again, you had to make a point to walk over there.

the one by Norway is gone. it used to be my the main promenade. then they moved it to a little side path. then they took away the benches. now it is gone.

the one by British Invasion is gone. ok, I cede: I understand not having one by the "concert", (even though we thought it was great!). but it is gone completely, not moved.

the one by Canada is gone.. oh yeah! the one next to Italy... GONE! china? GONE! show ase plaza, before mexico? gone!

Disney did a study.... how long will someone hold on to a piece of trash before they will throw it on the ground? (in my case.. forever. I will NEVER litter, and NEVER throw a cig. butt on the ground, either) anyhow, they placed trash cans accordingly.

apparently they haven't done the same studies for DSAs.! they keep eliminating them. now, most of us obedient Dissers will still obey the rules, and walk much farther then we should be asked to (on swollen feet, some of which have suffered 5 foot surgeries, in hubby's case), just to smoke. but a lot of people won't. they'll just give up! (which was tempting!) and then you'll hear about how inconsiderate smokers are.

well, as DORY would say, "Glad I got THAT off my chest!"
I was at EPCOT in December and the smoking section in Italy is there. It is in a corner right by the fountain. Of course we were all crammed in there on 2 or3 benches, but definitely there. Also, the other DSA I found was right in the middle of the park by the Coke snack bar. Again just a couple of benches, but busy none the less. The best one I did find was at MK. Right across from the Plaza Restaurant, down by the water. Could sit there and watch people for hours.

1972 - Off Site
1973 - Off Site
2009 - Old Key West - 40th Birthday Surprise
2011 - Beach Club Villas - Girl's Trip
2011 - Animal Kingdom Villas - Fall Break
2012 - Port Orleans Riverside - Fall Break
2013 - Boardwalk Grand Villa - New Year's
2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Early Christmas
2014 - Coronado Springs - Girl's Trip
courtney881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #1123
steph73
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have a map of the DSA's at the Contemporary Resort?

Thanks!
June, 2001 - 12 Magical Days - HGVC Sea World & Caribbean Beach Resort, October, 2007 - 11 Magical Days - HGVC International Drive for F&W and MNSSHP!, May/June 2010 - 9 Magical Days - Contemporary

steph73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #1124
wdwcrazy07
Earning My Ears

Try this link Steph

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/ContemporaryMap.gif
wdwcrazy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #1125
wdwcrazy07
Earning My Ears

Try this link Steph

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/ContemporaryMap.gif