Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #1066
BobNed

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
Thanks ... I'll stash a couple extra in my checked luggage. DD and her family will be flying out this morning; I'm not scheduled to leave tell Tuesday so my "extras" are already packed and spending the night at an airport hotel so they can get to airport by 5:30 AM!! ....... as I look at my clock that's only 3 1/2 HOURS ... guess I'd better get to bed! Been looking for my Halloween costume, which - of course - since I actually NEED it again I can't find! ........where 'o where did I stash that thing??????????
Lighters are NOT allowed in checked bags; only in your carry on.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #1067
smidgy
dimples

sigh! DSAs removed

just back last week. Epcot esp. couldn't believe it.

It's true, our fav. DSA by the dancing fountain is gone. this is most amazing, since it was SO out of the way. it was by mouse gear, but no where near an entrance, and TOTALLY out of the main walkway. someone would have to MAKE A POINT to walk over to the DSA to catch a whiff of smoke!
the one by Coral Reef is gone. it was way out of the way. again, you had to make a point to walk over there.

the one by Norway is gone. it used to be my the main promenade. then they moved it to a little side path. then they took away the benches. now it is gone.

the one by British Invasion is gone. ok, I cede: I understand not having one by the "concert", (even though we thought it was great!). but it is gone completely, not moved.

the one by Canada is gone.. oh yeah! the one next to Italy... GONE! china? GONE! show ase plaza, before mexico? gone!

Disney did a study.... how long will someone hold on to a piece of trash before they will throw it on the ground? (in my case.. forever. I will NEVER litter, and NEVER throw a cig. butt on the ground, either) anyhow, they placed trash cans accordingly.

apparently they haven't done the same studies for DSAs.! they keep eliminating them. now, most of us obedient Dissers will still obey the rules, and walk much farther then we should be asked to (on swollen feet, some of which have suffered 5 foot surgeries, in hubby's case), just to smoke. but a lot of people won't. they'll just give up! (which was tempting!) and then you'll hear about how inconsiderate smokers are.

well, as DORY would say, "Glad I got THAT off my chest!"
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 AM   #1068
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

SMIDGY ... You've GOT to be kidding! Please say you're kidding!!! Are there ANY spots around the World Showcase??? I'm really getting a little upset with this. Come on PEOPLE. I'm of the belief ... if you can't stand the smoke STAY AWAY FROM THE DSA'S! Don't keep removing our areas of rest in these HUGE parks.
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #1069
mchelle77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
Are there ANY spots around the World Showcase???
That's what I was coming here to ask! That's insane .. I mean, while in Disney I smoke a LOT less, but still.

First trip - 03/97 (1 week)
Second trip - 02/00 (1 week)
Third trip (Honeymoon!) - 06/03 (2 weeks)
Fourth trip - 11/01/09 (10 days, DD's 1st trip there)
Next Trip - 11/30/13 (1 week - Surprise for our daughter!)
DISNEY CRUISE just booked April 2015!
mchelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #1070
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
just back last week. Epcot esp. couldn't believe it.

It's true, our fav. DSA by the dancing fountain is gone. this is most amazing, since it was SO out of the way. it was by mouse gear, but no where near an entrance, and TOTALLY out of the main walkway. someone would have to MAKE A POINT to walk over to the DSA to catch a whiff of smoke!
the one by Coral Reef is gone. it was way out of the way. again, you had to make a point to walk over there.

the one by Norway is gone. it used to be my the main promenade. then they moved it to a little side path. then they took away the benches. now it is gone.

the one by British Invasion is gone. ok, I cede: I understand not having one by the "concert", (even though we thought it was great!). but it is gone completely, not moved.

the one by Canada is gone.. oh yeah! the one next to Italy... GONE! china? GONE! show ase plaza, before mexico? gone!

Disney did a study.... how long will someone hold on to a piece of trash before they will throw it on the ground? (in my case.. forever. I will NEVER litter, and NEVER throw a cig. butt on the ground, either) anyhow, they placed trash cans accordingly.

apparently they haven't done the same studies for DSAs.! they keep eliminating them. now, most of us obedient Dissers will still obey the rules, and walk much farther then we should be asked to (on swollen feet, some of which have suffered 5 foot surgeries, in hubby's case), just to smoke. but a lot of people won't. they'll just give up! (which was tempting!) and then you'll hear about how inconsiderate smokers are.

well, as DORY would say, "Glad I got THAT off my chest!"
So, Smidgy, can you tell us where there ARE any DSA's left at Epcot? There weren't many there last fall. Even the ones on the "new" maps then had already been eliminated. Do you have an updated map that shows where they are, or are supposed to be?
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #1071
DrmWvr1299
the world IS a carousel of color

Please tell me the one in China (down the little path to the bridge) is still there. That was my favorite spot to stop and sit for awile.

Disbrother, Charlie 7-15-09
DrmWvr1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #1072
smidgy
dimples

dreamweaver, I don't know about the DSA you are talking about. beleive it or not, we only ventured into world showcase as far as china, and from the left, (maybe the DSA you are talking about is still there)and never went into mexico, etc.. I just remembered those from the last trip.
since time was short we never went to that side of world showcase this trip??? weird. we didn't walk all the way over there just to see It's a Mexical Small worldor Maelstrom. I DID want to ceck out the new lounge in the Mexican Pavillion, but we never did.
it just annoyed me (a bit, and it takes a lot for me to be annoyed at WDW)
that so many DSAs were gone.

epcot is SUCH a HUGE park. esp in future world... give us a break! on the one side, you have THE Imaginatiohn Pvillion, The Land, and The living Seas. and only ONE DSA! so if you have reservations for Coral Reef. and your table is not ready. there is no way you can go over to the DSA (between the Land and Imagination) to wait. there used to be an out of the way area (well, the area is still there) where you could wait. it's just not a DSA any more. and NO ONE would have to walk by it, unless they made a point to.

when they first instituted the DSAs, it seemed to me that almost everyone was obeying the rules. we understood. there were even DSAs I thought were silly (like the one by Aloha isle. when people were there with thier kids trying to enjoy ice cream, i would apologize, and put out my cig, even though I was IN a DSA>)... but now... well, this year, more than any other, I saw more and more people walking down the "road" with cigs! and I would NEVER do that! (even though others were).

in my opinion, the "experiment' of S lo w l y eliminating the DSAs is a failure.
go back to giving the smokers out of the way DSAs, and they will, for the most part, obey the rules.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #1073
pixidustmom
Dreaming of the World

Ok I am not a smoker but an ex smoker. My Dh is still one and when we go in Dec. I would really like to know where he can go to smoke in each of the parks. I am sure somewhere in this thread is a list of maps but really would prefer not to go through all the old post. If you have a link will you share please.
I do think it's sad that it seems from an earlier post that the DSAs are becoming few and far between. I personally hate the smell but I know it's hard to keeping walking around when you get the urge.

Come check out my pre trip report.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3254412
POFQ 1996POR 2006 and 2009 Going to POP 2014 Disneyland too many to count
pixidustmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #1074
krbq
DIS Veteran

DSA at the Treehouses

Does anyone know where the DSA's are located at the Treehouses? I checked the map for Saratoga Springs but it doesn't include the Treehouses. TIA
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #1075
smidgy
dimples

dreamweaver.. NOW I remmeber the China one. yes!! it is still there! yay! there is still the one is France, and the benches on your right, off the promenade, between Morrocco and Japan? I think, is there. that's as far as we got in world showcase this trip. weird, I know (I knew about the other ones being gone from our Feb. trip). between UK and france, you can walk off to the right by the International gateway, but then you might as well "stay the course" and cross the bridge into France. that's a nice one.
I don't have any links, but I'll bet Disney or AAA or your travel agent would send you park maps. they have the DSAs on them.
no idea about the treehouses.

we drove over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner at Jikos (first time, the oak grilled Filet is WONDERFUL!!!) and to check out the new DVC: Kidanni Village. there are only 2 DSAs. one is way off the bldg, near the bus stop. a very l o n g waldkfrom any room. the one in the pool area is in a dark hallway by the bathrooms, near the fitness bldg. a little 2 person bench. I thought there would be a DSA near the pool bar, but no. (actually, we weren't supposed to have access to the pool area at all, it is room key access only, but the gate was open).
Old 09-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #1076
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrmWvr1299 View Post
Please tell me the one in China (down the little path to the bridge) is still there. That was my favorite spot to stop and sit for awile.
Just returned tonight and can say the China one is still there, enjoyed it myself before and after Illuminations. All DSA's in the WS are MUCH used - always crowded. There are also 2 areas to the left and right of the "entrance" to the WS. Yes, I do think there could be more but found the ones available adequate enough for a busy day at WS. Now FW is another story......only located 3 in the entire area but did not spend a whole lot of time there. May be more I'm unaware of.
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #1077
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbq View Post
Does anyone know where the DSA's are located at the Treehouses? I checked the map for Saratoga Springs but it doesn't include the Treehouses. TIA
I had called MS when then opened and was told you can smoke near your BBQ but not on the deck. There is also another one near the boat dock.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #1078
DrmWvr1299
the world IS a carousel of color

smidgy;33643735]dreamweaver.. NOW I remmeber the China one. yes!! it is still there! yay! there is still the one is France, and the benches on your right, off the promenade, between Morrocco and Japan?

I have never used the one in France...didn't know there was one. We stayed at AKL (only 2 DSA) this past January and were lucky enough to get a room in the wing right next to the main building on the second floor. The DSA in front of the hot tub was the most convenient, but the one in the front of the resort down the bus stop path was nice too. It was out of the way and the smoke didn't drift.

Disbrother, Charlie 7-15-09
DrmWvr1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #1079
ckret01
DIS Veteran

First I want to say that I am so thankful for this thread. I am finding out a lot of information even though some of it does not make me happy (eliminating of smoking areas that is)

I will be staying at Pop in a few weeks. I want to put in a request for a room closest to a smoking area. Does anyone know the closest bldg/room to the nearest outside smoking area ? I booked a peferred room if that matters at all. Thanks so much
ckret01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #1080
stitch34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckret01 View Post
First I want to say that I am so thankful for this thread. I am finding out a lot of information even though some of it does not make me happy (eliminating of smoking areas that is)

I will be staying at Pop in a few weeks. I want to put in a request for a room closest to a smoking area. Does anyone know the closest bldg/room to the nearest outside smoking area ? I booked a peferred room if that matters at all. Thanks so much
Near the water there are DSAs at Pop, and there is one in the 80's next to the big floppy disks. If you walk out the main building heading towards the 60's pool there is one right to your right of the exit of the building... AND, near the pool bar there are tables and chairs and that is a DSA - at least it was when we were there in April. I keep reading of DSA's disappearing now... and am hoping if anyone knows if that is still there by the pool bar at Pop? We'll be there in 2 months, and crossing my fingers it's still there!
I think there is another one near 50's... like right towards the entrance to the 50's section - that's what it appeared to be on a map at least.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: