Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #91
glewis1123
The Tag Fairy says hi to Glenda and hopes she is enjoying being part of the DVC family!!!!! :)

We've been at WDW since June 9th and will be here til the 19th.

First 5 nights were at AKL with only 3 DSA's. We are now at BCV and they have several DSA's - all benches near some sort of ashtray stand. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a table w/umbrella at the pool area - whether the community pool or SAB.

While AKL only had 3 DSA's - I find that their tables w/umbrellas at Uzima springs were a lot nicer than anything I've seen at BCV.

JMO

First Solo Trip Oct 10-17th - Hubby couldn't come so he said go by yourself - you're a big girl now
Glenda - I'm the good one
glewis1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #92
sarah4770
DIS Veteran

I just want to thank all of you for the information on the dsa's.
sarah4770 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #93
cc1075
cc

residual smoke

I have a question - being a heavy smoker - my clothes and other things, I am sure smell of smoke. I have not smoked in a OKW room or balcony for the last three years, but I am sure my things smell. Should the renter after me notice the smell - will Disney then charge me the cleaning fee even though I haven't and won't smoke in the room?? Just a thought - - remember we smokers carry the smell with us!!
cc1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #94
JennaTX
Always a Texan!
I cry at anything, even commercials. But not over Tim McGraw, he just makes me smile!

I was at the BC from the end of May until the 4th of June. The only problem I had with the DSA (and I only went to one on my last day) was that I could not find it! I had a map, walked around a few times, finally asked a CM and they took me to it.

It was a bench (covered) and had one of those long "neck" ashtrays. I was very glad to see that it was a covered area.

Unfortunately you could not tell it was a DSA which might add to problems between smokers and non smokers. Hopefully they will add something to the area to make it known that it is a DSA.
JennaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 AM   #95
LBelle
I'm soooo jealos
That's the best tag everr!!!!!
Well boys and girls...time for me to rip this popsicle stand
Awwww.....the long ago days of Jello shooters

great thread so far...subscribing!!!
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:47 AM   #96
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS View Post
Does anyone know?
From what I was told, they are suppose to be using some sort of machine to clean the entire room up. A friend of mine's DH works at the GF and he was saying that once the room [U]is[U] defumed and if Disney does detect the smell, they will place anywhere from $250-500 for cleaning onto your bill. That was when I told them that I had been in my room and they never defumed it (or what ever they wanted to call it) & I hoped they weren't going to be adding any charges to me. There was no smoking going on in my room, but we did have a smoking room... checked in on May 28th and out on June 9th. I would think they had to defume mine when I checked out...
I guess once a room is done, that would be when they start with the fee. I did see them going around with some sort of big blue machine and a hose over at the Sports...???????
Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #97
kakiegirl
DIS Veteran

I have not read all of the posts, so this may have already been discussed. We just returned from our trip to All Star Movies. We were placed in a room that had previously been a smoking room and to us non-smokers it was awful. We called the front desk and they told us when we went to the park that afternoon they would bring around a machine that was guaranteed to get the smell out of the room. We got back around 11:00 that night and it was no better. I called the front desk again and they said they would send someone. The did with a room deodorizer they sprayed on the carpet, this lasted about 10 minutes. I called the front desk again and the next morning they thankfully moved us to a new room. They would have moved us that night but had no preferred rooms available and DD was already asleep anyway. The did inform me that they had changed the drapes and bedspreads in all smoking room. However, I would imagine eventually they will have to change matresses and carpet also to completly get the smell out. It was so bad that I had to wash all our clothes because they smelled like stale cigarette smoke. I am posting this just so you will know if any one in your party suffers from severe alergies or asthma you may want to make a request that you not be placed in a previously smoking room until they have all been redone.
kakiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #98
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaTX View Post
I was at the BC from the end of May until the 4th of June. The only problem I had with the DSA (and I only went to one on my last day) was that I could not find it! I had a map, walked around a few times, finally asked a CM and they took me to it.

It was a bench (covered) and had one of those long "neck" ashtrays. I was very glad to see that it was a covered area.

Unfortunately you could not tell it was a DSA which might add to problems between smokers and non smokers. Hopefully they will add something to the area to make it known that it is a DSA.
Your not the only one. I spoke with a CM attending a conference at BWI last week. She said she never found the DSA either.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #99
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1075 View Post
I have a question - being a heavy smoker - my clothes and other things, I am sure smell of smoke. I have not smoked in a OKW room or balcony for the last three years, but I am sure my things smell. Should the renter after me notice the smell - will Disney then charge me the cleaning fee even though I haven't and won't smoke in the room?? Just a thought - - remember we smokers carry the smell with us!!
i am not a smoker but my mil is and this my concern for our upcoming trip
Alicnwondrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #100
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Just a thought for us smokers if they made the smoking areas more visible and more convenient the need to smoke in undesignated areas would be far less. I have no problem not smoking in the room but do not expect to have to hunt for an area that I can. The mod linked me to a map that had DSA for Pop No way could I see them the map is to small and blurry.I don't smoke in the house at home but do on the front porch and have never heard the smell or smoke drifts into the house and believe me I would hear if it did so I have a hard time believing it would drift in from the walkway unless I was puffing it under the door which I wouldn't do!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #101
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

I have a few questions for anyone whose been to POP since the change and could, hopefully, answer a few ?? Neither my DM, or I smoke, but my DSis does, and I want to be able to tell her where she'll be able to smoke. I've printed the map from the link on the first page and my questions are:

-There are many DSA locations shown on the walk around the lake-is the entire walk a DSA, or only select locations?
-All the buildings have their own DSA except the 70's. Is the correct, or a printing error?
-Is smoking allowed in the parking lots? I won't let DSis smoke in our vehicle, but maybe she can smoke in the parking lot, on the way to our room?

I can see I'm going to really have to study the map to figure out which building, etc. to request to accomodate DSis's DSA; being kinda close to food court; & beingkinda close to parking. I wanted to stay in a different decade, this year. We've done 50' & 70's, so far.

Thanks for allowing discussion on this subject.

TIA
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #102
Trekker
I've gone to find myself,
if I get back before I return,
make me stay here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
The mod linked me to a map that had DSA for Pop No way could I see them the map is to small and blurry.

All the maps provided are in pdf format - when they come up you can zoom in and make them as large and as clear as you need.....

Just use this icon tool on the pdf to zoom in

Trekker is Ron from Dreams Unlimited Travel

Questions? Email me at ron@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #103
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Can someone take a look at the BW map for me? On the villa side it looks to me like the DSA's are located at the bottom of the stairways on the pool side. Right?
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #104
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Just a thought for us smokers if they made the smoking areas more visible and more convenient the need to smoke in undesignated areas would be far less. I have no problem not smoking in the room but do not expect to have to hunt for an area that I can. The mod linked me to a map that had DSA for Pop No way could I see them the map is to small and blurry.I don't smoke in the house at home but do on the front porch and have never heard the smell or smoke drifts into the house and believe me I would hear if it did so I have a hard time believing it would drift in from the walkway unless I was puffing it under the door which I wouldn't do!!
I don't think it is seeping under the doorways so much as being sucked into the airvents for the airconditioning units. That is why when someone smokes just outside the doorway at the AS and Pop it often smells as though they are smoking in the room. Not placing blame or anything I just think that is how it works. When smokers are visiting and smoke on my porch the smell does not come into the house, but if they are smoking in the back yard where the AC unit is some gets sucked into the house.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #105
michygoomy
DIS Veteran

Just got back from Pop, DH smokes, I'll try to answer some questions. My overall impression is that the majority of CMs are not well informed about the policy, and it is policed inconsistantly. If they don't get this under wraps soon, neither smokers or non-smokers are going to be happy.

Quote:
Are they fining people for smoking on their balconies now?
One morning I was walking in front of two CMs and listening to their conversation. It went something like this:

CM1: ....if they smoke in the room, they'll get fined $150.
CM2: On the patios too?
CM1: Oooooh, no, not really.
CM2: But it says they will.
CM1: Yeah, but...

Quote:
Two of the designated smoking areas at the AKL are located in the highest traffic areas of the resort. One is on the way to the bus stops and one is on the way to the pool and you have to walk through the smoke to get to both.
(Bolding mine) The bus stop one has to be the worst designed DSA I've seen ever in a park. Seriously, it's right there on the path, there is hardly any way to get around, and it was mighty crowded when I walked past.

Quote:
Has anyone just recently returned from pop and willing to comment on the smoking areas? My boyfriend and future mother in law will be coming down with me in dec, and I am wondering where would be a good place to get a room near them, i looked on the maps and seems their is one near 90's first floor, or if they will be completely banished! TIA, mena292
After a walk around most of the resort, I think first floor lakeside would be the best place to get a room close to a DSA. There are quite a few areas around the lake, and a couple of them are at least somewhat near guest rooms. For the buildings facing away from the lake, there are fewer DSAs and they are as far from the guest rooms as they can make them (yet on the path everyone uses to walk--see how no one really wins here?).

Quote:
I have a few questions for anyone whose been to POP since the change and could, hopefully, answer a few ?? ....
-There are many DSA locations shown on the walk around the lake-is the entire walk a DSA, or only select locations?
Every few feet around the lake there was a bench with an ashtray. They weren't very far apart.

Quote:
All the buildings have their own DSA except the 70's. Is the correct, or a printing error?
I think that is correct, but the 70s has the DSA on the lake side. That may actually be closer to guest rooms than the ones on the interior courtyards anyway.

Quote:
-Is smoking allowed in the parking lots? I won't let DSis smoke in our vehicle, but maybe she can smoke in the parking lot, on the way to our room?
Depends who you ask, since the CMs will give you different stories. I'm sure she could--I doubt there are CMs walking around the parking lots, but it would be better for her to find a nice, comfy DSA with seating.

OK, now for our experience--once the policy changed, I requested a 1st floor room, close to a DSA and close to the food court. We got 1st floor 50s building (building 1). I asked the CM at checkin where the DSA was near our room, and she said he could smoke "anywhere back here", pointing to the parking lot side of our building on the map. So--he would go out to the little circle behind our room that was used for service vehicles. 90% of the time no one said anything (and there were CMs walking past all the time because it was the path to their parking), and twice someone did. One CM was polite, but when asked if there was a map to show the DSAs, she changed her tune and said to go ahead and finish his cig there. Another CM was pretty belligerant and DH moved to the DSA in the middle of the 50s courtyard (which would expose more people to smoke that the little circle area he had previously been using).

There were a lot of smokers using the DSAs, especially the one outside the hall to checkout in the back, but there were also a lot of people just stepping outside of their rooms. Imagine the frustration of the people truckin' theirselves back to the DSA in the back of the pool bar area, yet passing people smoking around the pool at every other table.

Bus stops: There are two ashtrays in sight of the bus stops: one near the MGM stop and one near the far end. It is unclear if these are actually DSAs, as they are not indicated as such on the map. However, I think it is reasonable to assume that if an ashtray is provided, you are allowed to smoke there. I did have a person get in line behind me at the bus stop smoking. Even cranky DH wouldn't do that.

I can answer more questions if anyone would like.
1991 I-drive, 1995 Dixie Landings, 1997 off-site, 2000 off-site, 2003 All-Star Sports, 2006 POP/Carribean Beach, 2007 POP, 2008 Contemporary TPV, 2009 All-Star Music Family Suites/All-Star Movies, 2010 Gaylord Palms, 2011 AKL Kidani, 2012 POP, 2013 CR/AoA AK 2014 POR

The mouse's sprawling, self contained empire sucked the tourists pockets inside out. They came, they spent until there was nothing left to spend--then they went home HAPPY.
Carl Hiaasen

Last edited by Trekker; 06-18-2007 at 09:33 AM.
michygoomy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: