Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #76
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

I checked in on May 28th and out on June 9th, not once was I ever told of the new policy, I am not a smoker, but DH is. We were given a smoking room too! Funny thing was, the room did have a faint smell of smoke, but no ashtray's. My DH never smokes in the room anyway because I do not like the smoke going up my nose He did smoke outside by the stairwell with his little cup for an ash tray. We were on the 3rd floor and our room was close to it. Not many people walked near there. On May 30th the No Smoking signs were put on the doors and my DD didn't realize it when she put her key card in the slot and somehow sliced her finger on the corner of the sign That was how we knew they were put up. Still nothing was ever said about the no smoking. My DH only staying for 5 days and was never in violation of smoking where he wasn't suppose to, it was still legal to smoke by that stairwell, all the 3rd floor was smoking at that point.. but had he been, they never did officially inform us (other than the sign going up on the door). We did know about it from these boards and hearing it on the news. There were no signs anywhere telling you where the DSA's were. I saw a guy smoking in the bushes behind the small shack area near the pool (we were at the Sports) In a way I felt bad for him, he didn't know where to go, but on the same token, FL is in dry season still and he could have started a fire. I fell Disney did not prepare correctly for this change. They set the date and that was it, did not set the area or inform the guest where they could smoke. There was one guy that had his chair out in the front of his room smoking, he was on the first floor and people were walking past him. I hope they have more signs in place now as the resorts get more crowded with summer starting in full swing I would hate to see a brush fire from a smoker that is trying not to get caught.....
Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #77
stormi65
I love the Magic Kingdom the best!
WL VET

Smoking at the Wilderness Lodge

I was looking at the map of the designated smoking areas at the WL. There don't seem to many at all. Are any of these under cover, or near the pool area?
stormi65 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #78
TeresaMc
Mouseketeer

The smoking areas at the WL are several umbrella tables behind the pool bar towards the beach.....a very relaxing spot but a little bit of a walk.

There are also 3 benches along the end of the building off of the sidewalk towards the bus stop, just past the arcade......fairly close to the elevators and covered.

The third spot is in the villa area and we never ventured that far so I can't comment on that one.

We did find out that although there is an ash tray next to the front door that is not a DSA...as DH was politely told he could not smoke there and that was just for arriving guests to extinguish their smokes......the cast member that told of this was very nice and said he completely understood our thinking that it was a DSA since there was an ashtray. He said hopefully signs will be posted soon.

Overall DH didn't have a problem using the DSA's as the spots were clean and comfy.
July 2008 LBV Best Western(impromptu trip)
September 2007 Wilderness Lodge- concierge
June 2007 Wilderness Lodge
March 2007 Wilderness Lodge
September 2006 Wilderness Lodge
December 2005 All Star Music
November 2004 Pop Century
April 1992 Carribean Beach Club
August 1986 off site
a few times as a child, once at Ft Wilderness at Christmas
TeresaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #79
ransom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaMc View Post
The smoking areas at the WL are several umbrella tables behind the pool bar towards the beach.....a very relaxing spot but a little bit of a walk.

There are also 3 benches along the end of the building off of the sidewalk towards the bus stop, just past the arcade......fairly close to the elevators and covered.

The third spot is in the villa area and we never ventured that far so I can't comment on that one.

[...]

Overall DH didn't have a problem using the DSA's as the spots were clean and comfy.
Thank you for the report on WL!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #80
krbq
DIS Veteran

It will be interesting to see if Disney stays with this policy. When we stayed at the Cocoa Beach Hilton in February we were given a smoking room but upon entering the room found all sorts of "no smoking" signs. When I called guest services I was told that the hotel had gone non-smoking a few months before only to learn that under Florida law they had to keep a certain percentage of rooms available for smokers (I believe he said 15%). They just hadn't finished removing all the "no smoking" signs in the rooms that were being re-designated as smoking rooms.

Maybe this law doesn't affect Disney for some reason.
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #81
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbq View Post
It will be interesting to see if Disney stays with this policy. When we stayed at the Cocoa Beach Hilton in February we were given a smoking room but upon entering the room found all sorts of "no smoking" signs. When I called guest services I was told that the hotel had gone non-smoking a few months before only to learn that under Florida law they had to keep a certain percentage of rooms available for smokers (I believe he said 15%). They just hadn't finished removing all the "no smoking" signs in the rooms that were being re-designated as smoking rooms.

Interesting.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #82
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Any new insights?
DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #83
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson View Post
Interesting.
Ditto!If it's the law how is disney allowed to do this!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #84
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbq View Post

It's possible that that was a local ordinance in the Cocoa Beach area, or in that county.

I'm sure that Disney's legal staff is very well versed in FL law, and that they researched this thoroughly before they made the change to all non-smoking. They wouldn't have gone to the trouble to have the smoking rooms super-cleaned, or set up DSAs, if there were a chance that they'd have to reverse it.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #85
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

If you read the wording of the actual Florida constitutional amendment that was voted on in 2003, it says smoking MAY be allowed in designated smoking rooms at hotels, but it also says that hotel owners are permitted to make their own policy more restrictive. Here is the "exceptions" section:

"b) Exceptions. As further explained in the definitions below,
tobacco smoking may be permitted in private residences whenever they
are not being used commercially to provide child care, adult care, or
health care, or any combination thereof; and further may be permitted in
retail tobacco shops, designated smoking guest rooms at hotels and other
public lodging establishments; and stand-alone bars. However, nothing
in this section or in its implementing legislation or regulations shall
prohibit the owner, lessee, or other person in control of the use of an
enclosed indoor workplace from further prohibiting or limiting smoking
therein
."

I read through the entire amendment, and could not find anything stating that 15% of the rooms should be or had to be smoking. That could have been part of whatever legislation was in effect prior to 2003.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #86
Trekker
I've gone to find myself,
if I get back before I return,
make me stay here!

Just ANOTHER reminder

We are not here to debate Florida law or Disney's new policy, it is what it is, this thread is to DIScuss the DSAs at the Disney resorts. Straying OT will not be permitted.....

Trekker is Ron from Dreams Unlimited Travel

Questions? Email me at ron@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #87
sabrinadv1
Mouseketeer

Sorry I have not read all of the posts, but does anyone have any insight about how the DSA's are at the CR?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #88
AggieTexan
Mouseketeer

? About Location Request

When Disney changed their smoking policy, I revised our room request to "First Floor near a DSA." It is noted on our paperwork from WDW. Do you think I should call the resort directly and make sure they have the request? We'll be checking into the Yacht Club Wednesday evening.
AggieTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #89
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

How about POR

I only read one post on DSA at POR. Hopefully there is at least one that is covered and has some sort of seating. I wake up early every morning, so I have to leave the room until hubby and kids wake up. Last year we stayed at ASMO and I would go right outside of the food court to the tables and have coffee and smoke. It was out of the way no one even walked by (although it was between 5-7am). Hopefully there is something there. It would be nice to see some pics on DSA's.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #90
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Has anything been done to neutralize cig smoke smell in old smoking rooms?

Does anyone know?
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: