Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #586
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixcats View Post
I really have to wonder about the person who decided a smoking area near the playground at AKL was a good idea. The one outside the entrance to the health club at the VWL was another dumb choice.
It really is ridiculous. They should have kept it near the pool bar. As another poster said it's way to quiet & remote to walk back there at night.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #587
Piglet's Momma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Actually there are only 2 now. At the front entrance on the way to the bus stop and ALL the way in the back at the playground of all places
And that's why I'll never stay at AKL, or the other hotels with so few DSAs.

1978-1985: Three times as a kid in Florida
7/2003: First time with my kids! Caribbean Beach Resort
6/2005: Coronado Springs
5/2006: Port Orleans Riverside
11/2006: 15th Anniversary stay at CBR!
11/26-12/1, 2007: our 16th Anniversary stay at the Poly!
****Hoping to go back in October!! Cross your fingers!!****
Piglet's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #588
smidgy
dimples

actually, there is a DSA outside Bomas.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #589
cc1075
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
actually, there is a DSA outside Bomas.
We just returned from WDW. If there was a DSA outside of Bomas it is no longer there - we were directed to the DSA by the playground.
cc1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 AM   #590
Mainyard
Earning My Ears

We were in WDW a few weeks ago at POR. I have pictures of some of the DSA's at our resort. I'll post them here once I have enough posts (earning my ears).
Mainyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #591
DoOverDreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1075 View Post
We just returned from WDW. If there was a DSA outside of Bomas it is no longer there - we were directed to the DSA by the playground.
Wow, I wonder if it would do us any good to write and complain about this? I mean come one, 2 DSAs for the whole resort? And one of them outside a playground? Silly.

We're going down in August to stay at AKV for the first time and were really looking forward to it. However, this DSA situation is going to make it very difficult...
DoOverDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #592
ChelleinNC
Say "Hi" to Art the Greeter for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1075 View Post
It was right outside Boma's & Mara. There were also DSA's at the pool, are those gone now too? Both were there in December

Next Trip-???? December 2012 Planning is half the fun! That's why I do it for a living
SSR June 2010, Sweet 16 @ HHI Nov 09,July 09-BCV & DCL,Nov/Dec 08-OKW,Oct O8-HHI June 08-SSR, Dec 07- BWV, June, 07- SSR, Aug, 06- Beach Club, April 04-HHI, Oct 03- Swan/Wilderness Lodge, Dec, 02- Beach Club/Poly, June, 02- Beach Club, Dec, 01- Beach Club,-- Time Warp (Day trips only) --, Oct, 1991- Disney Cruise (Big Red Boat)/Polynesian [Honeymoon!], Summer 1990- MKCP!, 1987- Off Site, 1983- Off Site
ChelleinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #593
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleinNC View Post
It was right outside Boma's & Mara. There were also DSA's at the pool, are those gone now too? Both were there in December
Both of those locations are definitely gone.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
Disneyland 2003
Old 05-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #594
AlexTina
I'm glued to the computer
My immediate reaction was, okay here we go

A good friend of mine just returned from WL and she said that they saw quite a few people sitting out on their balconies smoking just like they always have, she also saw this at the Poly when they wen't for dinner. Which leads me to believe that if nobody is complaining maybe they aren't really enforcing, who knows. But what I do know is that the vast majority of people that I've seen sitting out on balconies at various resorts are generally smoking and the majority of balconies are empty. I don't think that most people really use them much. I've always been an early riser and really enjoy sitting out on my balcony with my coffee in the morning while everyone else is still sleeping, same goes for the evening with my beer or glass of wine once everyone has gone to bed and it's very rare that anyone around me is utilizing their balcony at the same time. I have to be honest I am going to WDW on vacation and I'm going to enjoy my vacation. When I get up at 5:30 in the morning and there is nobody around for me to bother with my smoke then I am going to go out on my balcony and have my coffee and my cigarette and if they want to charge me $250 to remove the smoke smell from the balcony railings then so be it. I know some are going to flame me for being a rule breaker but as long as I'm not bothering anyone I don't see the problem. I have already requested a room on the top floor so hopefully there won't be anyone above me and if there are people next to me who are not doing the same thing as me then I will refrain but if there's nobody there for me to bother then I will choose to enjoy my vacation and not run off to a DSA at 5:30 a.m. in my jammies to enjoy my coffee and cigarette.

ME (39) DH (38) DD (11) DS (8) DD (6)
AlexTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #595
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTina View Post
A good friend of mine just returned from WL and she said that they saw quite a few people sitting out on their balconies smoking just like they always have, she also saw this at the Poly when they wen't for dinner. Which leads me to believe that if nobody is complaining maybe they aren't really enforcing, who knows. But what I do know is that the vast majority of people that I've seen sitting out on balconies at various resorts are generally smoking and the majority of balconies are empty. I don't think that most people really use them much. I've always been an early riser and really enjoy sitting out on my balcony with my coffee in the morning while everyone else is still sleeping, same goes for the evening with my beer or glass of wine once everyone has gone to bed and it's very rare that anyone around me is utilizing their balcony at the same time. I have to be honest I am going to WDW on vacation and I'm going to enjoy my vacation. When I get up at 5:30 in the morning and there is nobody around for me to bother with my smoke then I am going to go out on my balcony and have my coffee and my cigarette and if they want to charge me $250 to remove the smoke smell from the balcony railings then so be it. I know some are going to flame me for being a rule breaker but as long as I'm not bothering anyone I don't see the problem. I have already requested a room on the top floor so hopefully there won't be anyone above me and if there are people next to me who are not doing the same thing as me then I will refrain but if there's nobody there for me to bother then I will choose to enjoy my vacation and not run off to a DSA at 5:30 a.m. in my jammies to enjoy my coffee and cigarette.
Unbelieveable. It is people like you who give smokers a bad name.

Thank you from all the parents whose children have asthma. It is our vacation too, and if you are breaking the rules you are bothering us!

I feel sorry for the smokers who follow the rules because people like the above poster will make it so there won't be any smoking at Disney - no DSAs at all.

Thank you to all of the smokers who follow the rules and smoke at the DSAs. You will never hear me complaining about having the DSA's - but I definitely do feel that smokers who have the "I don't care" attitude hurt all of us.

If you feel so strongly about the need to smoke on your balcony perhaps you should investigate a non-Disney resort that allows smoking. BTW you can be sure that I will report you if I see you because the smoke that drifts over affect my family's vacation time - AND WE ARE FOLLOWING THE RULES!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #596
jjohnson

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I agree with Robyn. If you don't follow the rules, I believe too Disney will make all the resorts smoke-free. Many times DH wanted to go out on the balcony late at night but I wouldn't let him. I personally did not observe a single person smoking on any of the balconies at AKV or BCV.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
Disneyland 2003
Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #597
ransom
DIS Veteran

Please, follow the rules.

They're not onerous, given today's social norms.

Especially at the Wilderness Lodge. That resort has some of the best-placed DSAs. There's one very near the bus stop, one out by the lake, and one by the Villas. No matter where your room is, there's a DSA nearby.

Please, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Follow the rules.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #598
AlexTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Unbelieveable. It is people like you who give smokers a bad name.

Thank you from all the parents whose children have asthma. It is our vacation too, and if you are breaking the rules you are bothering us!

I feel sorry for the smokers who follow the rules because people like the above poster will make it so there won't be any smoking at Disney - no DSAs at all.

Thank you to all of the smokers who follow the rules and smoke at the DSAs. You will never hear me complaining about having the DSA's - but I definitely do feel that smokers who have the "I don't care" attitude hurt all of us.

If you feel so strongly about the need to smoke on your balcony perhaps you should investigate a non-Disney resort that allows smoking. BTW you can be sure that I will report you if I see you because the smoke that drifts over affect my family's vacation time - AND WE ARE FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Well I do have my flame suit on so I'm ready.

First of all if your children are out on the balcony at 5:30 in the morning I can guarantee you that I will not be smoking out there so no worries.

Secondly do you really beleive that if I am on the top floor of the resort and your family is on the bottom floor walking around my smoking will affect you? Smoke rises, so again no worries.

BTW, there are several chains across the country who have gone 100% non-smoking only to return to offering smoking optional rooms. Partially because of complaints, partly because of people who don't follow the rules, and partly because of lost revenue. I as a smoker am entitled to just as many luxuries as you are. I should not have to stay off site just so that I can enjoy my vacation and having to leave my room and walk across the resort does not sound like a pleasant vacation. I am all for DSA's I follow the rules unless they are ridiculous. I never smoke inside anayway, I generally don't smoke at the parks and when I do I find a DSA, however, I feel that making all the resorts non-smoking is ridiculous Disney should make one building at each resort smoking optional, they don't even have to allow smoking indoors but they could make one building or section at each resort smoking optional on the top floor. This way the smoke would rise and wouldn't bother anyone. It seems to me that more people will be affected by other guests smoking if they are smoking in the DSA's right along paths where others are walking or as in the case of AKL right by the playground. Now in some cases you are forced to walk through a cloud of smoke.

Do you travel by plane at all? How on earth do you handle it when your children walk out the door of the airport near the baggage claim or the ticket counters, there is always a huge cloud of smoke in these areas and I can't figure out how all of the people who claim that they will literally die if they smell smoke handle these situations. BTW, this is a legitimate question, I'm truley curious.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #599
AlexTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom View Post
Please, follow the rules.

They're not onerous, given today's social norms.

Especially at the Wilderness Lodge. That resort has some of the best-placed DSAs. There's one very near the bus stop, one out by the lake, and one by the Villas. No matter where your room is, there's a DSA nearby.

Please, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Follow the rules.

It's really not my intention to ruin it for everyone. I just get so frustrated when people tell me how they are entitled to this or that, but I as a smoker am not entitled to any conviniences.

Has anyone been made aware of these new rules, like when you arrive at the resort? I'm thinking that we are well aware of them because we spend time reading these boards, however, it seems as though people who simply go online and book a vacation or call to make a reservation may have no idea. When you call to make dining reservations they make it very clear that the restaurants are smoke free but when you call to make a hotel reservation they don't mention anything.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #600
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson View Post
I agree with Robyn. If you don't follow the rules, I believe too Disney will make all the resorts smoke-free. Many times DH wanted to go out on the balcony late at night but I wouldn't let him. I personally did not observe a single person smoking on any of the balconies at AKV or BCV.
Thank you. I want to re-state, I have absolutely no problem with smokers who follow the rules. To my dismay, my grown daughter and her husband are smokers, but they are considerate. They know when we go in July for our Grand Gathering what the rules are about smoking. It wouldn't bother me if Disney were to make one building at each resort a smoking building. As long as my dd isn't in a room in that building I would definitely feel it's not my concern.

It bothers me sooo much when the majority of smokers take the time to find the DSAs and use them and one person with a "it's all about me" mentality give people a bad impression about all smokers.

To the smokers that follow the DSA rules - thank youl

To the smokers who don't care about rules - does it bother you when you sign the paper at check in stating the no smoking on balconies rule?

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: