Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #556
sp103
Earning My Ears

I found this thread while researching a Disney vacation and possible locations to stay as the last two times I've stayed off-property (worldquest resort). If I come off angry, I apologize as I mean no disrespect to the board or members.

I respect Disney's decision, but I truly hate it. I personally feel as a smoker my choices at most Disney resorts have been limited to the closest to the ground, closest to the DSA without my option or choice. I was looking to maybe get a nice, expensive tower MK view room at the CR but now, I'm not even going to considerate it. Even though at Disney you barely spend time in your room anyhow, I'd feel more comfortable at the Carribean seeing I can (thanks to the maps!) walk outside, maybe down one flight of stairs and 10-20 feet to a DSA.

I could easily live with no-smoking in the rooms. The past times I have stayed in florida every hotel has had a balcony and I've gone outside there to smoke. I would brave the lightning storms! I dispute the fact that you pay for a room, and a balcony (or patio) which is OUTSIDE, not inside where it could linger and the smell would be offensive. The fact of the matter is "outside", no matter where it is, or whos property it is, still the fact it is "outside". And if smoking in DSA's is allowed outside, why isn't the privacy of my paid-for balcony/patio the same? Obviously, my smoking my upset someone when they walk past the DSA when I'm smoking (I was told to "put it out" at a DSA at AK by another guest walking by a DSA), so I fail to see the logic of not letting me smoke in that private area. Getting back to that Animal Kingdom story for a moment, I had just walked half-way around the place to get to a DSA, so my quip reaction was "This is where we're allowed to smoke". I admit, this DSA was in a TERRIBLE location, the one near the bridge that joins where Everest is and The Finding Nemo show. No matter what, when you walk by, you're getting a wiff of a cigarette.

Finally, it's called planning. If 20 people request a smoking balcony or patio, Disney should do their best and lump them together. Adversly, if someone is allergic to second-hand smoke and states in their reservation, the proper care should be administered to them as well. I would truly feel terrible smoking on my $450 balcony room at the CR then have an asthmatic sitting next-door trying to enjoy the same view we both paid for.

Finally, I see the Four Seasons is to open within a few years. I wonder if the Four Seasons will permit smoking rooms. Anytime I have stayed at an FS, I have been given a smoking room without question, even on a non-smoking floor! I even had stay paid for by the hotel because a guest banged on my door yelling "stop smoking in there" so I called security!

Thanks for reading!
sp103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #557
suzzzze
Earning My Ears

I agree with you in hating the smoking policy at Disney. We stayed at the BWV in Jan. and we will be giving serious thought to staying off property the next time we go. We requested a first floor room and were put on the top floor. Quite the trek to a DSA and if I was alone with the grandkids would have to take them with me. Couldn't even enjoy watching the football playoffs in my room!!

Anyway, I said this before but I'll say it again. I don't think it will change the policy but I wish all the smokers here would write to Disney and tell them their feelings on the non-smoking policy. After all, they changed to non-smoking because of complaints from non-smokers, maybe they can offer balcony smoking in a few rooms or an entire floor of each resort. I wrote and hope everyone else will too.

Sue
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #558
misscues
only new here

Thanks for the info and your input. I feel very lucky to have found, what I hope will be, a wonderful resort off property to accommodate our 15 person party this year; The Sheraton Vistana Resorts. There are two locations within minutes of the parks. One is directly across highway 4 from Downtown Disney. The other is just a little bit north on International Drive from the first...they both look wonderful and do not offer nonsmoking rooms. It is only $1400 for seven nights/eight days in a 2 bedroom unit with living room, kitchen, and 2 baths, and great onsite amenities. I paid that plus for our single hotel room at CB our last trip. What a deal and OH, the room to relax will be wonderful.

I understand exactly what you mean about the patio/balcony issue. Last year, we did pay the "extra" for the tower, MK view at the Contemporary. I requested a smoking room and this was before the no smoking policy. When we arrived, I was told that the rooms there were now no smoking but I could smoke on the balcony...so I did. Quick note on CR, NOT Worth it!!! Love the view but the accommodations are not worth the extra and the atmosphere there is very stale and uninviting (almost rude) we were very disappointed and will never stay there again.

When I made our reservations for CB, the policy was still not in place and we requested the smoking room there. The policy was published shortly after. So I did a bit of research and tried to get close to a DSA. While it was a short walk around the building, I still felt as I spent most of my vacation alone. Families spend time together when they get back to the rooms talking about the day and what tomorrow will bring. Smokers are limited all day in the parks and it is nice to come back, sit and relax, have a smoke, a cup of coffee, talk and just spend time with the family. You can't even smoke at or close to the pool; I feel really sorry for those, with very little ones, that smoke (not the little ones smoking) because you have to ask the kids to get out of the pool to go with you to sit and watch you smoke. This is not good.

This year, we are taking 15 or more guest on vacation and will be going to Vistana Resort, Universal (both parks), Discovery Cove, and Sea World. All of which seem a bit more smoker friendly (more DSA's, better placed, etc.) Discovery Cove even offers restaurant seating with smoking (all seating is outside, smoking is on one side of the restaurant building, non is on the other side) so you can enjoy a smoke after your meal without having to go search for a DSA.

Last, I know there are a number of smokers that don't try to be considerate of others that don't smoke. However, I do. Even so, I have noticed that people are getting a bit more rude to smokers because of policies such as Disney's as they feel like they have the world on their side so it is okay to be disrespectful and rude. It is hard to... try to work with the system, go where we are asked to go to smoke, but still get the disrespectful looks and remarks and not get upset with it all. So instead of dealing with it, I just take my $8000+ elsewhere. Not that we will never go back to Disney, but I can say with all honesty, it won't be yearly as it was in the past and we will stay off-site.

Thanks again for the heads up on the Four Season's; I will have to keep a look out for this one.
* 9/1985 Ho Jo's maingate * 2/2001 Westgate Lakes wonderful! DD 5th * 10/2003 PORiverside * 12/2004 CBeach * 10/2005 PORiverside Magnolia side * 10/2006 Sea World, Universal @ Double Tree * party 02/2007 Contemporary * DSA 10/2007 CBeach *
* 10/2008 Sheraton Vistana *
misscues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #559
GailT
I'm ba-ack!!!!
I'm so bad I'm good
Loves pea soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzzze View Post
I agree with you in hating the smoking policy at Disney. We stayed at the BWV in Jan. and we will be giving serious thought to staying off property the next time we go. We requested a first floor room and were put on the top floor. Quite the trek to a DSA and if I was alone with the grandkids would have to take them with me. Couldn't even enjoy watching the football playoffs in my room!!

Anyway, I said this before but I'll say it again. I don't think it will change the policy but I wish all the smokers here would write to Disney and tell them their feelings on the non-smoking policy. After all, they changed to non-smoking because of complaints from non-smokers, maybe they can offer balcony smoking in a few rooms or an entire floor of each resort. I wrote and hope everyone else will too.

Sue

I'm a non smoker and I don't like it BUT I don't think smokers should have to be sheilded from othere. Smoking people and not all smoke in rooms where they are ot suppose to and that just isn't right for people that have ashtma and things in that nature. Maybe the more people that voice there opinion for approving smoking in a certain building or part of a building Disney will listen but dont hold your breath because I dont think that is gonna happen, just hope and keep the faith
Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #560
sp103
Earning My Ears

Smile

First to Miscues, thanks for your input about the CR Magic Kingdom view rooms. When I think about it, it may not be worth it. I know you recommended the Sheraton, I have stayed at the Worldquest Resort the past two times (Non smoking rooms, but all have balconies/patios which you may smoke on). Highly Recommended.

I have seen some hotels go from Completely non-smoking back to smoking. Several Boston Hotels examples include the XV Beacon and Intercontinental. The real discussion is truly about the outside and patio/balcony. Now if i'm reading this correctly, they (Disney) doesn't want you smoking in the parking lot of a Hotel (Or theme park?) but ONLY in DSA locations? Are you serious? I understand waiting in a huge line or around others, but come on. The fact that smoking takes place outdoors, much like other allergic-causing substances such as pollen etc is just a fact of life. The only difference here is someone can communicate, politely, between the two parties. If someone said "Could you please not smoke when we are out here" on a balcony next to my balcony at the CR, of course I would stop and not do such a thing.

Again, Not smoking in the room: No problem. If I didn't have a balcony room, its Florida! At the Caribean or any All Star resorts, its easy to step outside and smoke. But If I pay for luxury, like a room with a patio/balcony, thats an OUTSIDE, private area which I have paid for. I think the notion of restricting people of what they do inside their paid-for rooms is bordering on ridiculous.

Again, The Four Seasons is coming to Disney, and they take smokers openly. In fact its never a problem (I've been to FS in Boston, Las Vegas, Palm Beach so far for me).
sp103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #561
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I recently stayed at Pop and had no problems . They had DSA along the path near the lake which was great and I could see my room. Also in the pool area but not right close but fine to watch the kids was a DSA . So I reccommend Pop for the smoking Moms and Dad's as you cah sit and smoke and watch the kids!!I too agree about the smokin on the balconies or outside corridors I even suggested making the top floor balconies smoking . I hope Disney rethinks there policy! I had no negqative comments at Pop ata all.
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #562
smjj
DIS Veteran - Been there done that going back but now as a DVC member!

When we checked into the WLV on Feb. 24 during the signin process they showed and had us sign a document that had in it highlighted in green the statement that all rooms and balconies were non-smoking and a $250 fee could be accessed if we violated this policy. Being a non-smoker, I was glad to sigh. I mention this because others have noted that when they checked in they were not told or had to sign anything about this. Have others had this happen to them or is this new??..smjj

Been too many times and stayed too many places to mention here. Now a proud DVC member at OKW
smjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #563
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjj View Post
When we checked into the WLV on Feb. 24 during the signin process they showed and had us sign a document that had in it highlighted in green the statement that all rooms and balconies were non-smoking and a $250 fee could be accessed if we violated this policy. Being a non-smoker, I was glad to sigh. I mention this because others have noted that when they checked in they were not told or had to sign anything about this. Have others had this happen to them or is this new??..smjj
Nothing was said or signed at Pop!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #564
JennaTX
Always a Texan!
I cry at anything, even commercials. But not over Tim McGraw, he just makes me smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjj View Post
I have been twice since the new rules.

Last June right after the new rules went into effect. I had a reservation at BC for a smoking room. I was told to smoke on my balcony and a a maid brought me an ashtray.

In November I stayed at the Pop. Nothing said on checkin and nothing signed. I was at the pool one night and asked a lifeguard where the smoking area was and he said anywhere outside.

I will say that since my last two trips, I personally will not be staying on Disney property again. I never smoked in the room since I have children but DH and I enjoyed a glass of wine and a cigarette on the balcony before bed.

I also have been with just the kids and I, so staying on Disney property is definately out of the question. I would never leave the kids in a room or drag them to a DSA with me.

IMHO, this is the problem. People want to smoke and obey the rules, but they don't know what they are and Disney is not enforcing them. If Disney would decide what the rules are and enforce them, I think both smokers and nonsmokers would be happier.

Last edited by JennaTX; 03-06-2008 at 01:46 AM.
JennaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #565
diavolobella
Diavolobella

All Star Music Smoking areas?

I don't smoke, but my boyfriend who I am taking on a Disney vacation in May, does. We are staying at the All Star Music resort, and I've looked at the map and am somewhat dismayed to see only two DSA on the entire map. It looks like, depending on where our room is, he may have quite a walk if he wants to smoke. Is smoking permitted in some areas (pool side bar, maybe) that are not specifically indicated on the map?

Also, what about smoking outside the gates of the parks before entering and exiting, or while walking to and from the bus lines?

Thanks!

7/73 Contemporary Resort
5/07 Pop Century
5/08 All Star Music
5/09 Pop Century

diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #566
Moonmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzzze View Post

Sue
We, too, were at the BWV and used the smoking areas in the morning; usually either the one by the "croquette court" or the or the one that's kinda off in a little courtyard by an entrance to the resort nearest to the entrance by the health club.. only once in ten days did I meet one other person either place smoking; and it was during a busy time. Neither place has protection from the rain..only the little courtyard has one bench.
To escape the rain late one night I went over to the porch of Community Hall.. ahh..rocker; roof.. 'course it still makes me feel like I'm being banished; but I'm there I am "being a rule follower." But comfortable? No.. why? Well, along comes two guys on the walking path..right in front of me..who are having a rather heated argument..not physical..but verbal.. and they stop..and I'm rather apprehensive..it's late..no one is around but these two that it's obvious they'd been drinking and as their argument esculatated I was very aprehensive.
I s'pose along with rain; lightening, walks to DSA, having to "schedule" smoke breaks; we also have to also take into consideration who else might be out there.
We never thought we'd want to stay offsite again..but the Disney resorts just aren't feeling very welcoming anymore to us.
Moonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #567
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

ASMovies DSA info please

Can anyone tell me how close the nearest DSA is to the Toy Story building at ASMovies? I've looked at the map, but I'd love someone who's actually been there to let me know how far away it is. There are 3 smokers in our group of 12, so I'd like to be able to let everyone know where the DSA is.

Thanks so much!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
lisalonglash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #568
LovinDisneyWorld
Earning My Ears

Smoking at CSR

All, what a great thread. We are staying at the CSR in April and I am so excited Last year we stayed at the CBR in May 2007. Both DH and myself are smokers but this was before the new DW smoking policy. We have two children ages 5 & 4 and we want to be able to stay in a location that is close to a DSA. We like to relax with a soda or coffee at the end of the day when the kids are sleeping and be able to have a smoke or two. last yr, we went on our balacony at CBR and it was great. Both DH and I are very considerate smokers. What I am looking for is a room location that is close to a DSA where we can have a smoke but not be far from the room. We both smoke when we wake up. Any suggestions? I checked out the CSR maps and saw where the DSA's are but depending on where you are located in the building it could be quite a walk. Also, has anyone smoked outside on the balcony at CSR? Do they enforce the policy very strictly on CSR?

Any guidance would be helpful. I would like to request a room location in the Cabanas but not sure which one would work best for having small children, parents as smokers and being close to the bus stop
LovinDisneyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #569
nicci@venus
Earning My Ears

recent smoking info for april 08???
nicci@venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #570
misscues
only new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp103 View Post

Again, Not smoking in the room: No problem. If I didn't have a balcony room, its Florida! At the Caribean or any All Star resorts, its easy to step outside and smoke.
Just thought I would let you know that you can't just walk outside your room and smoke at ANY DW resort. We stayed at CB our last trip and I had to walk to the courtyard each time I wanted a smoke. Now...if you request a courtyard room that has a smoking area (and they actually care and give it to you) you can just step outside, go a few feet and you're in the clear. However, if they book non-smokers in the courtyard area and they have to walk through the cloud each time the enter or exit their rooms, you sometimes get a look or two.

Thanks so much for the info on 4seasons. Please let us know if you hear anything more.

misscues
* 9/1985 Ho Jo's maingate * 2/2001 Westgate Lakes wonderful! DD 5th * 10/2003 PORiverside * 12/2004 CBeach * 10/2005 PORiverside Magnolia side * 10/2006 Sea World, Universal @ Double Tree * party 02/2007 Contemporary * DSA 10/2007 CBeach *
* 10/2008 Sheraton Vistana *
misscues is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: