Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #541
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleWisconsin View Post
I think that all of Disney is smoke free, with the exception of the DSA's. So, no, they couldn't smoke on the balcony.

That's not the case from what I've seen. 3 resorts - it's not being enforced.
So long as in room smoking isn't occuring, or other guests aren't complaining -my observation is that nothing has changed following the policy announcement.
In fact, I witnessed contractors rehabing/painting a building at OKW and smoking while doing so (inside and out on the unit's balconies).
Also, smoking while freely roaming the parks seems more common than ever before.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #542
MegRN
Earning My Ears

I would like to thank all the smokers out there who are kind enough to smoke in the designated areas. I found this to be frustrating when I was out in the park and people would be smoking and hiding their cigarette out on the street. I am a typical ex-smoker so I hope people can understand how aggitating it can be. We stayed at the AKL and I know that the only smoking area is the bench between the lobby entrance and the bus stop. I always avoided the area by cutting through the gift shop.
Jan 24th 2008 Disney Cruise Wonder The Roy Suite! :
: Feb 2003 DL Disneyland Hotel :
Dec 2000 WDW off property
:Dec 1996 WDW off property :
: Feb 1992 First WDW trip! Off property :
DH: Mick Me DS: Jace (10) DD:Kourtney (8)
MegRN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #543
gail789
Earning My Ears

So you still see balcony smoking at the resort? May I ask which resort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCconvert View Post
That's not the case from what I've seen. 3 resorts - it's not being enforced.
So long as in room smoking isn't occuring, or other guests aren't complaining -my observation is that nothing has changed following the policy announcement.
In fact, I witnessed contractors rehabing/painting a building at OKW and smoking while doing so (inside and out on the unit's balconies).
Also, smoking while freely roaming the parks seems more common than ever before.
gail789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #544
Suzibrat
\m/ Slipknot Maggot

I am really thankful for this thread. My husband and I had debated NOT going to WDW because of all the non-smoking mis-information we were getting from friends. After finding this thread and realizing that we can still smoke, even if it has to be in a DSA, we booked a trip. Thank you to everyone who has posted here with questions and info. It made a big difference for us!
Suzibrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #545
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegRN View Post
I would like to thank all the smokers out there who are kind enough to smoke in the designated areas. I found this to be frustrating when I was out in the park and people would be smoking and hiding their cigarette out on the street. I am a typical ex-smoker so I hope people can understand how aggitating it can be. We stayed at the AKL and I know that the only smoking area is the bench between the lobby entrance and the bus stop. I always avoided the area by cutting through the gift shop.
There are 3 DSA's at AKL, the one mentioned above, plus one outside on the walkway to Mara by the entrance to Jiko and Boma, and one near the pool bar (see the map posted in the sticky WDW Resorts Smoke Free / w Maps on the Resorts Forum).
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #546
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There are 3 DSA's at AKL
considering the number of room involved...I'd say that's unacceptably low.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #547
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I found the biggest problem at the parks was the poor signage for the DSAs. If Disney signed them better I think there would be much less smoking in non DSAs Several smokers confirmed this theory that they couldn't find one so we sneaked off to a secluded area. This time I found that the cms were less vigilant about smokin in non DSA areas,but as I said if I could find one I used it, The resorts were easier as you were there everyday so knew where the areas were. One thing that did annoy me was all the buts I saw at the resorts in particular. I took pride that I left not one of my buts on the ground. Shame on you smokers who littered!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #548
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCconvert View Post
considering the number of room involved...I'd say that's unacceptably low.
AKL is a special situation. They've always had smoking areas as smoking is not allowed around the animals. They actually added the area by the Mara walkway. Guests wishing to stay at the hotel with the animals have to give up a few things (balloons, straws, and appartently more convenient smoking areas)
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #549
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Can anyone tell me how close the nearest DSA is to the Toy Story building at ASMovies? I've looked at the map, but I'd love someone who's actually been there to let me know how far away it is. There are 3 smokers in our group of 12, so I'd like to be able to let everyone know where the DSA is.

Thanks so much!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
lisalonglash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #550
momsoftwins
wishing i lived in the castle!!

hi i was wondering if someone could post any page numbers with any info about DSA for pop century. i tried to do a thread search and am havin no luck with that. and personally i didnt want to read all 37 pages. so again if anyone knows of any pages for the pop that would be great
thanks

POP CENTURY FEB 2009
ALLSTAR MOVIES APRIL 2007
OFF SITE DEC 2006
(ME) (6) (6)

WE ARE GOING TO SEE THE MOUSE
FEB 14-21
ALLSTAR MUSIC HERE WE COME .... MOM AND DAUGHTERS TRIP!!!
momsoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #551
gail789
Earning My Ears

Pop Century DSA

I was able to look at a resort map and that helped a little. I am going there Friday, but what I was wondering is does anyone know, who has been there, exactly how strict they are being on balcony smoking, and how does one get around this if they are traveling alone with a child, and there is no way to go down to a DSA. Probably the only answer is to stay off sight, but I wish they can just designate a small area on the top floor that balcony smoking is allowed, but I guess that would be a wish upon a star.
gail789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #552
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybaxter View Post
AKL is a special situation. They've always had smoking areas as smoking is not allowed around the animals. They actually added the area by the Mara walkway. Guests wishing to stay at the hotel with the animals have to give up a few things (balloons, straws, and appartently more convenient smoking areas)

This info is not entirely correct. I stayed at AKL many times before the resort became smoke free. There were smoking and smoking optional rooms available. And there were more than two ash trays outdoors on the property.

3 DSA's is a small number, but having stayed at AKL this past Dec. with the DSA's it was tolerable for this smoker. IMHO the DSA's are poorly located and could be a bit more out of the main walkways.

Oh, and AKL now has cardboard-like straws, I missed the wooden paddles for frozen bar drinks
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #553
zorro77
DVC Member Since 93

Smokin areas

Arriving at OKW arpil 4th -14th. Am a cigar smoker and its been a long winter in Minnesota. Cannot wait to get back home. Have smoked cigars at Disney for years and even with the new laws and etc. never had an issue. Lots of people do not like cigar smoke and will always be accomodating to the needs. If at the pool area i go to where i need to be to enjoy sun and have a good time. My wife does not like me to smoke but understands my needs. Love to go to the new Sosa bar for a late night. Even if i am always the oldest one their it does not matter. So if anyone is looking for a night of good smokes in Disney DT, let me know i would be able to join you. Since i travel with 7 females i sometimes feel out of place and at DTD i can fit in ok.
zorro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #554
DoOverDreams
DIS Veteran

Funny story about DSA at SSR

I just had to share this. DH and I went on a quick trip for Presidents day weekend. We really lucked out and were able to get a one bedroom villa at the last minute. It was wonderful!

DH and I are both smokers. So we were very happy with our room. 7141 in the Carousel area. Just walk out the door and around the corner and boom, nice smokers area with a bench. Anyhow, we took advantage of it Saturday and Sunday. It was great getting up in the morning, getting coffee and walking out to the bench and having that first morning cigarette.

Now, to the funny story. Monday morning DH went out first and came back in laughing and shaking his head. Seems there was a guy sitting right beside the ashtray on the bench working on his laptop. Hmm, had to go check it out. So, both of us with our nice cups of coffee in hand (and smokes) went back out to the bench. Sure enough, this man feverishly typing away on his laptop. Didn't look up to say hello, just kept typing away. And not smoking. Even though he was sitting right beside the ashtray. So, I sat down. Still no acknowledgment from the guy. DH and I chatted, smoked, drank coffee. Strange man still typing away. We went back to our rooms, showered, dressed, packed, etc. Went back out. The guy was STILL there. All in all, I would say he was there a good 2 hours. Never looked up, never stopped typing.

Oh well, I thought it was pretty strange, but hey. I'm sure he was working on something important.

Now, to all non-smokers out there. There are lots and lots of places for you to go on site. Heck, you can even sit on your patio/balcony if you want. There just aren't that many places for us smokers to go and actually smoke legally and in some comfort. Can you maybe hang out in the non-smoking area next time?

Thanks
DoOverDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #555
DrmWvr1299
the world IS a carousel of color

Hmmm...that is kind of weird . I am hoping I can get a good spot at the YC where it is close to the DSA.

Disbrother, Charlie 7-15-09
DrmWvr1299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: