Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #496
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

The more DSAs and the more comfortable they are the less likely smokers will break the rules so it would behove the non smoker to speak up too and ask for more and better DSAs. Let, s face it if it's pouring with rain and the DSA closest to your room is not covered but the balcony/walkway is what do you think is going to happen. I don't drink alcohol but I ahve never suggested that Disney stops selling alcohol or only allowing it in certain area s (bars). I thank all the non complaining non smokers out there for your support!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #497
Keara'sMom
Mouseketeer

Help for my dh at AKL!

Hi all,
First, I am a non-smoker but my dh smokes, and I'm trying to make this upcoming Jan. vacation to WDW as pleasant as I can for this stressed-out, overworked guy. That said, dh is used to being slightly inconvenienced when smoking. He does not smoke in our house or around our dd10, and we always stay in non-smoking hotel rooms when we travel.

We were able to get a great rate for our Jan. trip at AKV, with two days of Savanna view and two days in a value studio. From what I understand through reading some of this thread, AKL is one of the most difficult places for smokers due to the need to protect the animals. I've noted on our reservation that I'd love a room that is fairly close to the DSA--will that limit the animal sighting opportunities from our balcony? What have your experiences been with this hotel and the DSA's?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Keara'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #498
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to give a report about the DSA's I saw and used at CBR.
We were in room 4116 in Jamaica. The DSA was pretty much right out in front of the room. Very easy to get to and use. It was just a bench with an ashtray. I also saw an area in Jamaica that had tables with umbrellas as the DSA. That one looked like it would provide cover in a light rain, but any steady rain would be bad. There were also quite a few tables with umbrellas by the bar at the main pool. Also off to the side as you enter OPR from the front was a bench that was covered well, but a bit of a distance from any rooms.
I saw many people using the walkways in front of the rooms. But really only late at night. The parks on the other hand .
Hope this helps someone!
Krissy

Last edited by krissy2803; 12-06-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
krissy2803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #499
mickyzzzzz05
DIS Veteran

My experience at All Star Sports

We were at the All Star Sports from 11/25 to Dec 1st and thought I would share some of my smoking experiences. I met the nicest people from all over the world!

My only suggestion would be for an umbrella or some type of cover available for the sun and the rain. Not to cover the entire area but an umbrella like those around the pool would provide some shelter during the rain!
mickyzzzzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #500
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

CM's at Pop Century at check-in were advising people that smoking was allowed not only in the specific DSA's where there are ash trays, but also anywhere along the lake and/or the "bridge to nowhere" - whether there were ash trays available or not.. They also advised bringing towels from your room to dry off the benches every morning (or after it rained) and then tossing them in the towel drops by the pool on the way back to your room..

I only saw 2 people smoking in areas where they shouldn't have - and both times it was raining.. If the allowed areas had some sort of cover, I'm sure they would have gone there instead..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #501
MikeŠ
Squirrelketeer & RADP refugee

Well just finished 7 days at BWV and I'm still at CBR. Aall you smokers listen up. GET GROUND FLOOR ROOMS !!!!!! Unless you really like stairs. We were on the 4th floor at BWV and it was a royal pain having to climb the 8 flights of stairs each time or walk the 1/8 mile back to the elevators.
At CBR. Best plan is to get a first floor room off the inside courtyards as the center courts of each building is the main DSA for each building.

At the parks it would seem that there are just as many people not useing the DSAs dispite there being more than enough of them.

On a personal note as a smoker. Disney's assertion that they could not fill the 10% of smoking rooms at each resort was just plain wrong. And from the grumbling at the DSAs, Disney is about to find that out the hard way in loss of on-site guests. There would seem to be FAR more of us smokers than AAA lead Disney to believe.

Well, we'll be home in 2 days. Will answer any questions when we get back.
MikeŠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #502
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeŠ View Post
Well just finished 7 days at BWV and I'm still at CBR. Aall you smokers listen up. GET GROUND FLOOR ROOMS !!!!!! Unless you really like stairs. We were on the 4th floor at BWV and it was a royal pain having to climb the 8 flights of stairs each time or walk the 1/8 mile back to the elevators.
At CBR. Best plan is to get a first floor room off the inside courtyards as the center courts of each building is the main DSA for each building.

At the parks it would seem that there are just as many people not useing the DSAs dispite there being more than enough of them.

On a personal note as a smoker. Disney's assertion that they could not fill the 10% of smoking rooms at each resort was just plain wrong. And from the grumbling at the DSAs, Disney is about to find that out the hard way in loss of on-site guests. There would seem to be FAR more of us smokers than AAA lead Disney to believe.

Well, we'll be home in 2 days. Will answer any questions when we get back.
Thanks for the tip!
[/B][/URL]
[
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #503
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

All-Star Movies has a great designated smoking area. As you leave the food court facing the pool, go left toward Toy Story and there is a large covered area with seats and tables, and ceiling fans. It's called the "Reel Spot" (I think)
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #504
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeŠ View Post
GET GROUND FLOOR ROOMS !!!!!!
That is now my 1 and only request!!! During my recent 3 resort, 4 night stay, two of the resorts honored the request, 1 did not (Pop Century).
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #505
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
That is now my 1 and only request!!! During my recent 3 resort, 4 night stay, two of the resorts honored the request, 1 did not (Pop Century).
Bummer That's where I'm staying POP I will ask my TA to put in the request and I will call and ask the week before!!Could it be that all smokers are making this request and yet according to the Non smokers we are such a small group!! Maybe Disney will get the messageand can allow balcony smoking on top floors as I have suggested!
[/B][/URL]
[

Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #506
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe Disney will get the messageand can allow balcony smoking on top floors as I have suggested!
One can always hope.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #507
misscues
only new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofness View Post
I take it since there has been no reply to my last post that no one knows of any "sheltered" DSA's at the CBR?... How about the CSR then?...

Love WDW... Hate this new rule...
Hello Foofness,

We stayed at the CBR in October and here is what little I do know.

The DSA's at CB, Jamaica building 44, were okay (I guess). What I don't understand is the DSA for our unit is in a courtyard with 20+ rooms opening up right to it, so if there were non smokers in those, they were getting the overflow. We did have two picnic tables and two benches...all with umbrella's. FYI...The rooms around the courtyard would be ideal for smokers though...request ground floor, from 4407 to 4416 to be just a few steps out your door. I have a pix on my phone and will try to get them up.

DSA's by the main building were on the patio by the bar, tables with umbrella's, and close to the pool but you still would have trouble keeping an eye on the kids if you wanted a smoke there. This also makes everyone walk through the smoke on the way in or out of the food court. (Sorry to those non smokers who must walk through, I was only following the rules).

There are NO DSA's at ANY pool ...so you can't take the kids swimming and step back to watch and smoke. You will have to leave sight of them and that is not an option in my book. Once in the parking lot, I would smoke on the way to the bus stops. I would make sure to walk away from the "normal" path to the stops and I did ask if this was okay and was told yes, that is was not a place where people "stood" and it was also not around the rooms. I did not smoke at bus stops but many other did.

I did meet a lot of people at the smoking areas and we had our nightly and morning smokes together;talked about what we did today and our plans for tomorrow. We shared info on things to do and places to go. It was nice to meet folks from all over the world.

I love Disney too but have to say that because of this policy and the change in the dining plan, we have decided to purchase a timeshare off property that does WELCOME EVERYONE. We have found a number of places off site that welcome everyone, have smoking areas in the public areas and still offer smoking in the rooms. What is even better is that they cost less and offer more room. We (a family of four) felt very cramped this last time at CBR and are looking forward to our two bedroom suite at the same (actually, a little less) cost and the amenities are 5 star.

I hope this helps some. Good luck, have a great trip, and enjoy!

It's Disney...you can't help but have a good time!
* 9/1985 Ho Jo's maingate * 2/2001 Westgate Lakes wonderful! DD 5th * 10/2003 PORiverside * 12/2004 CBeach * 10/2005 PORiverside Magnolia side * 10/2006 Sea World, Universal @ Double Tree * party 02/2007 Contemporary * DSA 10/2007 CBeach *
* 10/2008 Sheraton Vistana *
misscues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #508
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love Disney too but have to say that because of this policy and the change in the dining plan, we have decided to purchase a timeshare off property that does WELCOME EVERYONE. We have found a number of places off site that welcome everyone, have smoking areas in the public areas and still offer smoking in the rooms. What is even better is that they cost less and offer more room.
Care to share which timeshares you're looking at?
TIA

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #509
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCconvert View Post
Care to share which timeshares you're looking at?
TIA
I am also interested. Thanks.
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #510
misscues
only new here

We are looking at the Sheraton Vistana Villiages or Sheraton Vistana Lakes resort. They both state "we do not offer no smoking rooms". I called and confirmed that you can smoke in the rooms and it is a YES!

In my search, I found several hotels and resorts that still offer smoking rooms such as Double Tree in Downtown Disney, EXTENDED STAY DELUXE ORLANDO - LAKE BUENA VISTA ...plus a few others that at least let you smoke on the patio or balcony. I will try to compile a list and post them here. A good place to search that list smoking policies is 123hoteldirectory.com I know they don't all list it but if you look in the descriptions, many include some info. I have found it best to just call the resort and ask about thier smoking policies.

Hope this helps.
* 9/1985 Ho Jo's maingate * 2/2001 Westgate Lakes wonderful! DD 5th * 10/2003 PORiverside * 12/2004 CBeach * 10/2005 PORiverside Magnolia side * 10/2006 Sea World, Universal @ Double Tree * party 02/2007 Contemporary * DSA 10/2007 CBeach *
* 10/2008 Sheraton Vistana *
misscues is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: