Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #481
cc1075
cc

Very well put Darlak. I am a smoker, but certainly understand how non-smokers feel about smoke, I just don't understand their behavior. We, smokers, are not doing anything illegal - cigarettes are not an illegal substance.
However, non-smokers treat us with such disdain. I think Disney needs some changes to the DSA and we could al live more peaceably. Smokers do need a safe, clean, dry place and preferably not so far from the rooms as some people have reported. We are going in March for six weeks - it should be interesting.
cc1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #482
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCconvert View Post
Perhaps it's just the "internet", but to me it seems as if you say that with a tone as if you were speaking of sexual offenders hovering about school yard play ground.

Yes it would seem that some forget that smoking is not illegal Therefore smokers should not be treated as criminals. Through this thread I want to learn the best room locations for me asmoker. This says I intend to abide by the rules even if I don't agree with them. Disney will hopefully realise that it has gone overboard this year with smokers and with the DDP! Even so I love Disney and can't wait to get back!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #483
cc1075
cc

Hi English Rose -

Where will you be staying. The great part for me - - we are always at OKW. Even though we have always stayed in a smoking room - I always smoked outside. And - - - - the DSA is right where I always smoked - so looks like no problem for me!! Good luck with your reservations - wow are they hard to get now - I wanted a studio for two night - April 21 and 22 and they are booked already!! Bummer!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #484
darlak
By the way, if my children ever see this, I'll deny writing it
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1075 View Post
Very well put Darlak. I am a smoker, but certainly understand how non-smokers feel about smoke, I just don't understand their behavior. We, smokers, are not doing anything illegal - cigarettes are not an illegal substance.
However, non-smokers treat us with such disdain. I think Disney needs some changes to the DSA and we could al live more peaceably. Smokers do need a safe, clean, dry place and preferably not so far from the rooms as some people have reported. We are going in March for six weeks - it should be interesting.
6 WEEKS!! You are at the point I want to be at. Right now we go 2x per year for 8-14 days per trip. My goal is to stay for 6 weeks though. Sadly, at the rate I'm going, I'll be too old to enjoy it before I reach my goal.
darlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #485
cc1075
cc

You are never to old - - - - I get my monthly government check beginning next month - - - - - - ... I can't see much advantage to being 65 except that I made it and the monthly check comes ever so soon - - - - so I plan on taking all my 'old' friends and young ones also to the bowling alley - - - I'm going to make all those cholesterol freaks eat hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza and listen to nothing but music from the 50's - might even find me a poodle skirt!! See - you are never to old - it's all in how you feel - right now - I'm moving down from about 28!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #486
darlak
I think that may just be one of those things southern girls are born knowing how to cook

Quote:
You are never to old - - - - I get my monthly government check beginning next month - - - - - - ... I can't see much advantage to being 65 except that I made it and the monthly check comes ever so soon - - - - so I plan on taking all my 'old' friends and young ones also to the bowling alley - - - I'm going to make all those cholesterol freaks eat hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza and listen to nothing but music from the 50's - might even find me a poodle skirt!! See - you are never to old - it's all in how you feel - right now - I'm moving down from about 28!!
Well at 49, 65 doesn't sound very old to me these days. I was worrying more that I might be...oh, let's say 85 or so before I make it to the 6 week vacation marker.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #487
cc1075
cc

I made it to six weeks at 60 - so not long for you. I am wondering whether my friends will have more trouble with the bowling or the menu!! Oh well, I will get a lot of laughs trying to be 15 again. I don't think I have had a bowling ball in my hands in over 45 years!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #488
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi English Rose -

Where will you be staying. The great part for me - - we are always at OKW. Even though we have always stayed in a smoking room - I always smoked outside. And - - - - the DSA is right where I always smoked - so looks like no problem for me!! Good luck with your reservations - wow are they hard to get now - I wanted a studio for two night - April 21 and 22 and they are booked already!! Bummer!
I,m staying at Pop!
[/B][/URL]
[
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

Old 11-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #489
cc1075
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I,m staying at Pop!

Hope you have a great - magical time!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #490
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hope you have a great - magical time!!
Thank You!!
[/B][/URL]
[

Old 11-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #491
Foofness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlak View Post
I am aware that the written word alone can often come across sounding very different than it might if we could see the person speaking and hear the inflection in their voice. With that in mind, I didn't comment at the time of the post on the post you quoted, but yes...it came across as having the same 'tone' to me as well.

Obedient little rule follower that I am, I smoked only in the DSA’s during my last trip. However, I certainly saw smoking outside the DSA’s everywhere. The same thing has been reported time and time again by others as well. I know someone who admits she smoked in their room at Pop in September. She said she sprayed Febreeze every morning and never had anyone question her. She reasoned that the only person who could actually 'rat her out' was the maid, so she tipped very well every day. She was never fined or even questioned, so I see little point in being in denial about the reality under the current smoking regulations.

For those of us who are addicted to WDW though, we have to find a way to live with the new rules, or at least until Disney hopefully realizes that this isn’t a better system after all. Personally, I want to find a way to co-exist with non-smokers at the happiest place on earth. I don't know how to get to that point, but I do know it must start with mutual respect for each other's rights.

This is a beautifully put post darlak!!!... I just had to let you know...

I'm still concerned about going to WDW during hurricane season and having no place to smoke on a stormy day... I may have to take your friends approach if we do get unlucky enough to be there during bad weather... and take my chances with paying a fine... I mean it's my vacation, and I'm not there to stand around in a storm and try to keep my cigarette lit!... sheesh!... I'm not there to blow smoke in anyone elses face either though, so again I hope they decide to reverse this rule and open up some smoking rooms again...

I take it since there has been no reply to my last post that no one knows of any "sheltered" DSA's at the CBR?... How about the CSR then?...

Love WDW... Hate this new rule...

Sept. '08 - 10th Anniversary trip - 7 days @ CBR

Sept. '06 - Disney Family Vacation - 7 days @ CBR

Sept. '98 - Disney Honeymoon - 7 days @ POFQ

Foofness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #492
darlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofness View Post
This is a beautifully put post darlak!!!... I just had to let you know...

I'm still concerned about going to WDW during hurricane season and having no place to smoke on a stormy day... I may have to take your friends approach if we do get unlucky enough to be there during bad weather... and take my chances with paying a fine... I mean it's my vacation, and I'm not there to stand around in a storm and try to keep my cigarette lit!... sheesh!... I'm not there to blow smoke in anyone elses face either though, so again I hope they decide to reverse this rule and open up some smoking rooms again...

I take it since there has been no reply to my last post that no one knows of any "sheltered" DSA's at the CBR?... How about the CSR then?...

Love WDW... Hate this new rule...
Thanks Foofness. Wish I could help you in regard to the DSA's at CSR or CBR, but I haven't stayed at either since the new smoking rules went into effect this past June. I was at Pop in Sept. and will be at POR in March.

I will 'fess-up' to one infraction of the new smoking rules while I was at Pop in Sept. I woke up one night at about 3am and really wanted a cigarette, so I headed outside. We were in the 60's building and my plan was to go smoke by the lake at the DSA there. It started raining again (it had been raining earlier in the evening as well). I've heard here on the Dis that people are bothered by smoke that comes in under their doors. So since it was raining and was also windy, I went halfway down in the stairwell so that I would be between floors and smoked there. There are no doors located at the ends of the building and I was between floors. I saw no one while I was sitting there and I took my filter back and threw it away in my room. It was the only time I smoked outside of a DSA during my trip.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #493
Foofness
Mouseketeer

I would imagine that there are a lot of these "little infractions" going on... In fact, in reading some of the other threads it seems there are people smoking in rooms that would never have been smoked in before... People posting that they got to the room assigned and it "reaked" of smoke... and this coming from people assigned to rooms that weren't smoking rooms before the rule... Seems to me that Disney has just managed to spread the smokers out and now who knows if the room you get has been smoked in or not... It seems some "die hard" smokers are smoking in whatever room they get put in... I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that they will see the problems with this new rule and change it back to the way things were before we get down there... If they don't, I'll have a "reserve" account to pay a possible fine!.. It will all depend on the weather I guess, because like you, I'm one to TRY to follow the rules whenever possible...

Does anyone have any pictures of the DSA's yet?... From ANY resort?...

Sept. '08 - 10th Anniversary trip - 7 days @ CBR

Sept. '06 - Disney Family Vacation - 7 days @ CBR

Sept. '98 - Disney Honeymoon - 7 days @ POFQ

Foofness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #494
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofness View Post

Does anyone have any pictures of the DSA's yet?... From ANY resort?...
I had posted to some photos of DSA's on pages 30-31 of this thread, but I see that they're gone now. I don't know what happened to them . . .
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #495
Piglet's Momma
Mouseketeer

Here's some Poly information: we just got back from our stay there, in Aotearoa. The DSA there is at the end of the second floor, on the landing just outside the elevator. I spent most of my smoking time there. I meant to take pictures, but oh, well. It's covered, and there's a table, three chairs, and a standing ashtray (that seemed to only be emptied once a day). I saw that the DSA for Fiji was in the same place (I could see it from where I sat). It was nice to have a covered place to sit, but there was a lot of foot traffic past us up and down the stairs. Anyone who has a problem with that would be better off taking the elevator. No one said anything to me or gave me a dirty look, though.

There's also a DSA at the end of the outside eating area at Captain Cook's; about three tables with umbrellas and one ashtray. Most of the time we had no problem getting a table there; most others preferred to eat at the opposite end of the area, so we had plenty of room for our smoke.

I also saw that there's an area with tables and chairs off the pool, surrounded by bushes, that's a DSA, but there's no cover; another down the path to the pool from Captain Cook's (just an ashtray), one behind the GCH and at the head of the stream that runs from it to the pool; and apparently, the entire front area left of the valet stand outside is a smoking area (we were told this by a cast member when we asked where we could smoke, although there are a couple of benches and ashtray tucked into the furthest corner).

I passed the pool bar one night and saw people smoking right there, although I never found an ashtray, and it doesn't seem to be marked on the map.

I rarely saw anyone disregarding the rules- the occasional person walking back to their room smoking, and one guy down by the marina, sitting by himself smoking, but that was it. All of us who shared the DSA at Aotearoa agreed that it was getting more and more ridiculous. I worry that the DSAs on the landings are going to be taken away, what with everyone having to pass through the smoke on their way up and down the stairs (because I have a feeling someone's going to complain...).

That's mostly what I remember. If anyone has any questions, I'll rack my brain and try to answer.

1978-1985: Three times as a kid in Florida
7/2003: First time with my kids! Caribbean Beach Resort
6/2005: Coronado Springs
5/2006: Port Orleans Riverside
11/2006: 15th Anniversary stay at CBR!
11/26-12/1, 2007: our 16th Anniversary stay at the Poly!
****Hoping to go back in October!! Cross your fingers!!****
Piglet's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: