Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #31
mena292
Mouseketeer

pop century smoking

Has anyone just recently returned from pop and willing to comment on the smoking areas? My boyfriend and future mother in law will be coming down with me in dec, and I am wondering where would be a good place to get a room near them, i looked on the maps and seems their is one near 90's first floor, or if they will be completely banished! TIA, mena292
mena292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #32
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Thank you mods for giving this a try. There are a lot of people out there looking for the kind of info here - what rooms are near DSAs, what are they like, etc. I just hope everyone can respect the ground rules.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #33
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mena292 View Post
Has anyone just recently returned from pop and willing to comment on the smoking areas? My boyfriend and future mother in law will be coming down with me in dec, and I am wondering where would be a good place to get a room near them, i looked on the maps and seems their is one near 90's first floor, or if they will be completely banished! TIA, mena292
I was at Pop in May I smoked on the balconies then . The whole pool area seemed to be smoking, tables outside the food court also. Definately around Petals Bar. Am planning on going in Feb too so am interested to see what has changed. I was thinking of getting a smoking room, but looks like that's out!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #34
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Just wondering if anyone had any first hand information on guests checking in and paying the $ 250 upfront as they intend(ed) to smoke on their balconies/porches?

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #35
MsAmerica
DIS Veteran

I find it hard to believe that Disney doesn't have a separate smoking policy statement signed by guests at check in like all Marriott hotels do.

It sounds like the only thing being signed at check in is what has always been signed at check in. Marriott makes you initial a page and specifically tells you that their hotels are smoke free and that you will be charged if smoking occurs in your room. Disney needs to do the same.

JMO

MsA
MsAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #36
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAmerica View Post
I find it hard to believe that Disney doesn't have a separate smoking policy statement signed by guests at check in like all Marriott hotels do.

It sounds like the only thing being signed at check in is what has always been signed at check in. Marriott makes you initial a page and specifically tells you that their hotels are smoke free and that you will be charged if smoking occurs in your room. Disney needs to do the same.

JMO

MsA
MsAmerica!!!....it's GREAT to see YOU posting here!!!

From a legal standpoint, I doubt it makes any difference that a notice of fee for a policy violation is on a seperate piece of paper. The 'thing' you sign when checking in is the master document - in which you agree to the terms of your use of their property.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #37
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldmom2000 View Post
I didn't know if anyone knew the answer to this one yet or not. I assume Disney is doing an overhaul gradually of all the previously dubbed "smoking" rooms but I can't imagine it being done completely by the time we go in mid-August. My daughters are both asthmatic and have awful flare-ups around stale cigarette smoke/smell.... we HAD a guaranteed non-smoking room for our trip prior to the new policy being even mentioned. My concern is that we might be put up in a room that was previously a smoking room and has not yet undergone the thorough cleaning. Does anyone know what Disney is doing about this? I'd just hate to check in and then be told that there are no other vacancies left if we were placed in a prior-smoking room. Of course this is the first time we went through AAA as well so I can't call CRO directly to have it noted on my reservations Thanks in advance for your help!
There weren't many smoking rooms to begin with, so it shouldn't take very long to thoroughly clean all of them. Besides, mid-August to mid-September is a traditionally slow season at WDW so you may find the resorts have a lot of vacancies and, therefore, little competition for the old smoke-free rooms. Relax and enjoy your trip planning!
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #38
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Are they fining people for smoking on their balconies now? I understood that guests would be fined if they smoke in their rooms, but wasn't aware that smoking on the balcony would incur a fine as well.

I'd also like to add that it's SO wonderful to see everyone discussing this very controversial topic in a polite and friendly manner, with lots of useful information being exchanged. Yay, DISers!
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #39
Sherlee
Mouseketeer

AKL Smoking Areas

We just returned tonight from another fabulous WDW vacation! Two of the designated smoking areas at the AKL are located in the highest traffic areas of the resort. One is on the way to the bus stops and one is on the way to the pool and you have to walk through the smoke to get to both. You can avoid the first by going to and from the busses through the gift shop.
6/05 - Coronado Springs & 10/05 - Polynesian
10/06 - Grand Californian Hotel & 6/07 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
10/07 - Wilderness Lodge & 10/08 - Grand Californian Hotel
10/09 - Caribbean Beach Resort & 10/10 - Grand Floridian
12/11 - Beach Club Resort
3/12 - Disneyland Hotel Paris
5/13 - Anaheim Hilton
1/14 - Pop Century
Sherlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #40
Arielsfanmom
Mouseketeer

I was just wondering what the DSA ware like at OKW? From the maps they are only next to the pools and could be a long walk from your room. I am traveling with my DD5 and hate the thought if dragging her halfway around the resort so I can smoke. My mom is undecided if she is going on this trip with me so we can take turns going to smoke.

Bambi

Take this quiz!
Arielsfanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #41
deide71
DIS Veteran

From reading the map of OKW it appears you can smoke at the entrance to your building as well.

deide71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #42
vacationwoman
DIS Veteran

We were at POR from 5/27 to 6/6 in lodge 18. That used to be where some smoking rooms were.

When we checked in no info. was given about the upcoming change.
On 6/1 all the large outdoor ashtrays that were placed around the lodges and various resorts areas "disappeared".
No messages were imparted to current guests (letter put under door, phone message, etc.)
I inquired at guest relations as the to location of DSA and no one knew where they were located. Since I hadn't been officially informed I continued to smoke just outside my room and anywhere on the outside grounds of the resort. (so did everyone else)

Now there were no ashtrays so everyone was putting butts out on the ground. If I hadn't read on this board about the ban I wouldn't have known anything about it.

Looking at the new maps of DSA, it doesn't work for me. There is one DSA area per lodge outside the laundry room and some lodges have no DSA. If you are on the other side of the lodge from where the DSA is it's not convenient at all. None are in a covered area.

If we go back, which is highly doubtful at this point, we will not stay on property again.

Must work remotely during all vacations Happy just to be out of the office
Every year at POR or Contemporary since "Forever"

vacationwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #43
Irishhockey
Teach me the rules and I'll show you how to break them...

On a side note...
I was in the tub last night, thinking of our disney vacation of course, and how the new DSA would work out. I had a question or two and was going to PM trek this morning about the possibility of creating a FAQ thread regarding this topic or how we can go about asking smoking-related questions. Didn't get the PM out, cause when I signed on to the resorts board to pull up his CP, I saw this thread... lol... so thanks Trek

I guess my one question is this:
How flexible is Disney being with room requests close to DSA? I've noticed that at resorts like CBR, there really isn't an issue... but at some (especially deluxes and a few DVCs) the smoking sections are strictly by the main building and pools. If you mark "close to DSA" on your reservation is Disney willing to meet this request?
I guess it would seem pretty "unfair" to me to get placed in a room a good distance from a DSA and have disney expect me to use that or pay $250. I almost feel that disney "should" be obligated to place those who have requested "close to DSA" in those rooms.

I'm not too worried about my stay at ASmu as we are in a preferred section and the smoking area isn't to far from the main pool. We'll most likely ask for a ground floor room in building 10 at check-in... but will take whatever we can get really.
IF... (told you I was a dreamer) we get that email with an upgrade pin, we'd like to stay at SSR (we're interested in buying DVC anyways, we'd eventually stay there) and when I noticed the DSA layout, I became a little concerned.

Ok... I think that was my only question!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:01 AM   #44
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

I am not a smoker
We are staying at the GF in July and my MIL is
I was surprised at the smoking spots
we are staying sugar loaf concierge and she will have to leave the building and walk somewhere to smoke
I am sure this will pain, for me as she wont want to go alone and I am not going with her
Looking at the map I did feel kinda bad
who wants to get up and take a hike to smoke
MIL says maybe this will help her cut back
I hope so
Alicnwondrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #45
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCconvert View Post
Just wondering if anyone had any first hand information on guests checking in and paying the $ 250 upfront as they intend(ed) to smoke on their balconies/porches?
I was also wondering about this
my MIL is a smoker and she wont smoking in the room or on the balcony we are all non smokers
but she smells of smoke badly
she smokes in her home so all of her stuff smells
I am worried they will think she smoked in the room from it
I am not overeacting
she lives in FL and we are in MA when she sends the kis cards
they reek of smoke
Alicnwondrln is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: