Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #316
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrmWvr1299 View Post
Going out on a limb here but does anyone have any pics of the DSAs at the resorts??
I posted that same question a while ago. I think it would be nice to see the different DSA's too.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 AM   #317
wdwcrazy07
Earning My Ears

Just got back from Pop and the smoking rules there are very lax. We saw many ppl smoking on the balconies as well as the walkways. During the afternoon showers, many sat at the outside tables at the foodcourt and smoked. CM's walked by and seemed to notice nothing. We also found a DSA not noted on the map.... its down by the bus stop for Downtown Disney.
wdwcrazy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #318
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzzze View Post
Anyone been to BWV lately? We're going in Jan. (standard view) and trying for figure where we should request to be near a DSA. The two grandma's bring the kids back for naps and really don't like to have to go separately to DSA. Am I living in a fantasy world that one would be almost right outside a room? Yeah, I probably am...............
I was there is June. I would request ground floor. 2 of them are outside the side entrances toward the pools.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #319
rosebudd
Earning My Ears

This is very good news, I hope that this is the same when we go in October, DM and her BF are pretty heavy smokers. Thanks for the update.
rosebudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #320
BamaFan121s
DIS Veteran

We just got back from Pop yesterday. The frist morning I took a shower, our bathroom reaked of smoke and I couldn't figure out why. I assumed I got an old smoking room. Then we walked out and our 'neighbors' were smoking on the balcony/walkway. I assume they'd been smoking in the bathroom earlier.
There were several DSA's throughout the resort, but I don't think it mattered. People smoked whereever they felt like it. Balconies, walkways, by the pool...everywhere. And the ground was littered with cig butts. (I was making an actual effort to look for them to see the situation since the resort wide no-smoking change.)
Sadly, it didn't seem to be limited to the resort...people smoked throughout the parks, when and where they pleased.
*Jul 84-Cont*Jun 85-Cont*May 96-Off Site*Nov 98-CBR*Nov 99-ASMovies/ASSports*Nov 01-CBR*May 02-CBR*Nov 02-POR*May 03-CBR*Nov 03-CBR*May 04-CBR*May 05-POR*Nov 05-POP*May 06-POP* Nov 06-CBR*Aug 07-POP* Nov 07-CBR*May 08-POR*Jun 09-POR* May 10-POR*Nov 11-POFQ

Follow my blog: http://mjstafford.blogspot.com/
Follow me on Twitter: @mjstafford2011
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #321
Aquagirl
Move like a jellyfish, rhythm is nothing, you go with the flow you don't stop.

Jellyrolls?

I'm sorry if this has already been answered in the previous 22 pages, (unfortunately I do not have time to read them all), but is smoking still allowed in Jellyrolls?
Aquagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #322
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

Former Smoking Rooms at OKW

I am not a regular poster on the Resorts board but I wanted to post that you need to stress when you check in about the room needing to be a former non smoking room when you check in, if that matters to you.

We stayed at OKW this past weekend for a long weekend. The first room we were in had not yet been cleaned. The beds were not made, the towels were on the floor, and there were dirty diapers in the trash. I called to the front desk to ask what to do. I was asked repeatedly, if the room had been cleaned, just not to my satisfaction. I answered repeatedly - the beds have not been made, the towels are on the floor and the trash has not been emptied. Finally, someone believed me and I was told to come to the front desk for a new room. We went and got the new room and went to that one, it was the closest room you could get to the turtle pond pool. Very nice location! However, it was a former smoking room. It smelled really bad. I was not about to ask for another room at this point!!! So, we just stayed in it. When we got home on Sunday night, I had to rewash all of the clothes we had not worn because they stunk.

I only say this because someone who has allergies may have huge problems in a room like this. Thankfully, my husband and I were fine, it just smelled. I kept spraying body spray (all I had to use) and it would help for a little bit, but when you would come back into the room from being gone - it would stink all over again.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #323
jd99
DIS Veteran

The only downside to going all non smoking in my opinion

Is THIS situation. We have to have a NS room due to a medical condition and our reservation has always been marked that way and never been a problem. Now that the whole resort is non smoking, should I have my reservation flagged as "must be formerly nonsmoking room" due to medical condition or just deal with it upon checkin?
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #324
stacy6552
Keep to the code!

hmmmm. interesting.

We just got back from WDW and the WLV and I asked at check in about this very thing. When we arrived at our room, I was not pleased to see non-smoking signs that didnt look like the ones we'd always seen everywhere else. But my freakishly sensative nose seemed alright with the place. I was thinking that they had done an excellent job cleaning up a former smoking room...but maybe not. Maybe that resort has different signs then elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #325
DabsandTroy
Princess of DVC

Semi - off topic --
When you check in and your room smells like smoke, call the front desk. They have a machine that they will bring to the room that sucks out all of the air. It is called an ozone machine, and it takes about an hour to work. I had to use it in a room that I had earlier in the year.

It literally takes all the air out of the room. When you re-enter the room, the outside "fresh" air comes in with you.

NEVER stay in the room while the machine is on. There have been cases where people have come back to the room while the machine is running, lied down to take a nap, and never woken up. They basically suffocated due to lack of air.

With all that said ... that little machine works wonders!
DabsandTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #326
jd99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsandTroy View Post
Semi - off topic --
When you check in and your room smells like smoke, call the front desk. They have a machine that they will bring to the room that sucks out all of the air. It is called an ozone machine, and it takes about an hour to work. I had to use it in a room that I had earlier in the year.

It literally takes all the air out of the room. When you re-enter the room, the outside "fresh" air comes in with you.

NEVER stay in the room while the machine is on. There have been cases where people have come back to the room while the machine is running, lied down to take a nap, and never woken up. They basically suffocated due to lack of air.

I was once in a Westin (Before they went non smoking) and they brought one of these "little machines" in - It didn't work. The room still reeked when I returned.
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #327
mrmagicmph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsandTroy View Post
Semi - off topic --

A note to all asthmatics:

As a fellow sufferer, I just read this note about the ozone machine and it immediately set off CRITICAL bells ringing for me. I once had one of these gizmos and, not only did it cause MAJOR reactions for me when it was running, but, the residual ozone in the air STILL caused me no end of breathing difficulties & grief. If you are reactive to ozone, make sure that you tell the front desk not only about the smoke, but that the ozone generating machine may cause you to have EVEN MORE problems and that they HAVE to find you a room that doesn't have the smell of smoke in it.

People may debate the position Disney has on a variety of topics, but one thing that Disney definitely does NOT want to have to deal with is causing injury of one of their guests when it is DOCUMENTED as being avoidable!

Enjoy the Magic, but be careful so you CAN enjoy the magic!

"And I wish to remind you that the smile is the shortest distance between people, and the more we smile, the less we fight. Because to my knowledge, no one ever fought smilingly...and won. So not goodbye, then. Never goodbye. Just...so long." (Victor Borge)
mrmagicmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #328
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Does anyone know what the former smoking buildings at the POP were? I have severe asthma and I know there is no way a smoking room can be turned into a nonsmoking room in such a short time unless you tear the walls out, get rid of carpet/drapes/mattress/possibly furniture, etc. In other words, gut the room. For asthmatics, it's not the just the smell that triggers an attack.

I'd rather avoid former smoking rooms altogether and I'm checking in during a busy time, so changing rooms may not be an option. I would like to get it right the first time. Of course, I've mentioned the medical necessity of an "always nonsmoking room" on my reservation, but I'd just as soon have those building numbers stored away in my head for reference at check-in.

Thanks.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #329
wdwcrazy07
Earning My Ears

There was not a smoking building at Pop, but rather smoking floors. The 4th floor in the first building was smoking and the 3rd and 4th floors in the ninth building were smoking.
wdwcrazy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #330
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwcrazy07 View Post
There was not a smoking building at Pop, but rather smoking floors. The 4th floor in the first building was smoking and the 3rd and 4th floors in the ninth building were smoking.
That is very helpful and I'm sorry to pester, but what do those building numbers correlate to? My POP map only lists them by decade and gives room numbers, such as the "Lady" building being a '50s building with rooms 1101-1472. If you could help me identify them, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: