Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #301
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Just returned from Polynesian. . .

I made a concerted effort to scope this information out for you folks on this thread. I posted the information in the Official Polynesian FAQ. Hope you find it helpful.

I know there were a number of folks worried about the DSA/nonsmoking room issue. It really appears to be a nonissue for most smokers. I saw people smoking everywhere and two people actually had resort ashtrays on their patios in Samoa and Rapa Nui.

Not one thing was mentioned at check-in about smoking and, perhaps would only be discussed if someone asked for a smoking room. Many people were smoking on balconies--not that I encourage this, but it appears the resort is doing nothing to discourage it either.

For those who are interested, the DSAs I took note of are:

1. The entire patio area surrounding the pool bar at the volcano pool (which is not listed on the maps);
2. The upper deck area across from Samoa at the volcano pool;
3. The west end of the patio in front of Captain Cook's;
4. The second floor staircase/deck area of Samoa and Figi (covered areas); 5. The entrance door area to Tangaroa Terrace;
6. The garden area between Tokelau/Tahiti/Rapa Nui (on the pathway);
7. The crossing deck between Rarotonga and Nuie (next to GCH);
8. Pathway next to Tahiti (near the walkway to TTC)

I'm sure there are others that I did not see, but there were also folks smoking around the quiet pool and that is not a designated area. They weren't trying to be sneaky, there were plenty of CMs (lifeguards) about that could have said something, but no one did. As I said, I think a good many people simply haven't been given the heads up on the new rules OR they don't care.

If you have any questions, I'll try and help you out based upon what I witnessed while there.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #302
stitchrulz
I am not spoiled -- A bit past the expiration date, maybe.

Thanks, Tess!!! That's very good information concerning the Poly DSA'S. I'm kind of surprised they are being so relaxed with the rules, though. I guess the CM's figure they aren't getting paid enough to argue with someone suffering from nicotine withdrawal . . .
1995 - CBR (Honeymoon!) 1996 - Dixie Landings 1997 - CBR 2000 - CBR 2001 - SOG 2002 - Contemporary 2003 - Contemporary 2004 - SOG 2005 - Polynesian (10th Anniversary!) 2006 - WL 2007 SOG 2008 - SOG 2009 - Polynesian
2012 - Polynesian

In memory of Stubs, our beloved "Pud" 04/10/2007
stitchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #303
asta
DIS Veteran

Just back from the GF and they are taking a firm stance with smoking on balconies. When you check in you are given a sheet of paper that states that there is no smoking in any room or on any balcony or patio. It mentions a fine of $250-$500. We had smokers below us who lit up both cigar and cigarrettes on their balcony. They were also dumping their ashtray over the edge of the balcony into the landscaping below. We put up with it one night but the smell on our balcony was so bad that by the second night we called the front desk to ask if something could be done. They were very grateful that we called and assured us that the smoking would be stopped and a fine assessed. Even though it was fairly late when we called, the duty manager was in the building within 15 minutes to take care of the problem. I don't know if they were fined for both nights but I do know that they either stopped smoking or left the hotel.
asta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #304
Mary2e
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
I
I'm sure there are others that I did not see, but there were also folks smoking around the quiet pool and that is not a designated area. They weren't trying to be sneaky, there were plenty of CMs (lifeguards) about that could have said something, but no one did. As I said, I think a good many people simply haven't been given the heads up on the new rules OR they don't care.

If you have any questions, I'll try and help you out based upon what I witnessed while there.
There is a designated area at the quiet pool. It's to the side of the poolhouse and has a bench, 2 ashtrays, and a garbage pail. It's also covered.

This was my main DSA.
Mary2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #305
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

As a former smoker - now tottering between a non-smoker and a smoker (I just ENJOY it too much to stop!!!!) Im amused after looking at the link to all the designated areas.

Just like when the parks went non, except for DSA's - they've given the smokers all the out of way nooks. Im suprised there's not more people complaing about this - simply cuz I remember the boards when it was the parks being discussed. People were so ANGRY that the smokers got all the cutsey little out-of-the-way-area's.... although they'd been complaining for years that the parks should be non.

And - made me giggle....POP's DSA's include allllll along the walking trail. So, those of you who want to lolly-gag along for a walk, will encounter clouds of smoke, every 500 feet or so.

Personally.... I feel they should have kept a certain amount of rooms, smoking. Perhaps they could have made that amount less. But as a smoker, and even as a non - I wouldnt have a problem staying in those rooms.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #306
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997

Oops. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
There is a designated area at the quiet pool. It's to the side of the poolhouse and has a bench, 2 ashtrays, and a garbage pail. It's also covered.

This was my main DSA.
I did see that one outside the men's room, just forgot about it. When I said around the quiet pool, I meant around the quiet pool--on the pool deck/table area and in the tikihuts. I guess I should have been more clear.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #307
Mary2e
DIS Veteran

Well, I can tell you I smoked in a tikihut. It was the one all by itself with no one else around.

The entire situation is riduculous and Disney lost our business because of it. We won't be going back and staying on property.
Mary2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #308
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997

It was sort of my point in posting. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Well, I can tell you I smoked in a tikihut. It was the one all by itself with no one else around.

The entire situation is riduculous and Disney lost our business because of it. We won't be going back and staying on property.
Personally, I do not think the decision to go smoke free was wise either, but I'm in the minority. My husband used to be a cigar smoker and loved having a smoke around the pools and on our balcony or patio. Because he knew or thought he might smoke on the balcony or patio we always requested a smoking room. They never smelled like stale smoke, at least in Disney, and he thought it was the right thing to do. He has given up his cigar smoking--at least for the past year--so it is not an issue for us. I do, however, believe that smokers should be free to smoke outside around the resort as they see fit. I am not a nicotine nanny of any sort. I was trying to reassure folks that they would not be uncomfortable and that it could be manageable.

If I had young children and was staying at the Polynesian, I would be requesting 2nd floor Samoa or Niue; 3rd floor Tuvalu, or 2nd floor Figi--this would at least give you some proximity to the floor/room where your family was located AND a nearby DSA. Two of those are covered areas (2nd floor Samoa and Figi) as well.

As to the tikihuts--can't say that I blame you a bit and, obviously, neither does the resort since not one word was mentioned to anyone while I was there. Those huts were my husband's favorite spot at night. They lack a little now since the music wasn't functional, but still very peaceful places.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #309
stitchrulz

Question SOG & smoking on patio/balcony

I think I read this somewhere on this thread, but I can't find it using the search feature . . .

Did someone post that at SOG you can smoke on your balcony/patio as long as you keep the sliding doors closed? I emailed SOG to ask and didn't receive a reply.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
1995 - CBR (Honeymoon!) 1996 - Dixie Landings 1997 - CBR 2000 - CBR 2001 - SOG 2002 - Contemporary 2003 - Contemporary 2004 - SOG 2005 - Polynesian (10th Anniversary!) 2006 - WL 2007 SOG 2008 - SOG 2009 - Polynesian
2012 - Polynesian

Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #310
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchrulz View Post
I think I read this somewhere on this thread, but I can't find it using the search feature . . .

Did someone post that at SOG you can smoke on your balcony/patio as long as you keep the sliding doors closed? I emailed SOG to ask and didn't receive a reply.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
The post you're looking for is on page 17, post #247.

I thought it was just me, but recently I haven't been able to get the search feature to work either.
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM   #311
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

You need to have your DIS scheme set to California Gold. You can find this at the bottom of the page of posts.

If you have any problems with search I suggest asking on the technical board.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #312
krbq
DIS Veteran

Has anyone seen or used the DSA at the GF between Boca Chica and Big Pine Key? We're trying to decide which of the DSA's at the GF we should request to be close to since the resort is entirely booked for our dates and there probably won't be much flexibility at check-in. TIA
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #313
stitchrulz

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbq View Post
The post you're looking for is on page 17, post #247.
Thanks so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
You need to have your DIS scheme set to California Gold. .
Will do!
2012 - Polynesian

Old 07-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #314
suzzzze
Earning My Ears

Question Boardwalk Villa DSA's?

Anyone been to BWV lately? We're going in Jan. (standard view) and trying for figure where we should request to be near a DSA. The two grandma's bring the kids back for naps and really don't like to have to go separately to DSA. Am I living in a fantasy world that one would be almost right outside a room? Yeah, I probably am...............
suzzzze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #315
DrmWvr1299
the world IS a carousel of color

Going out on a limb here but does anyone have any pics of the DSAs at the resorts??

Disbrother, Charlie 7-15-09
DrmWvr1299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: