Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #226
krbq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink415 View Post
We pool-hopped to Poly and CSR (we're DVC). The DS locations at both of these pools were great and we were able to relax. I was able to easily find a DS location at all the places we visted for dinner (POLY, AKL, GF, OKW, BW, DD) without a map.
Great report!

How were the DSA's at GF?

You list BW as a resort you visited for dinner, yet earlier in your post you talk about your stay at BWI/BWV -- did you maybe mean another resort? Possibly BC? If so, how were the DSA's there? (BCV is our home resort and we're curious about the DSA's there.)

Thanks for posting about your trip!
krbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #227
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydave2003 View Post
where exactly are the spots at poly spefically near pool areas and pool bar?
There is one near the marina up the stairs toward the back entrance to captain cooks but this is a busy area & alot of people walk by.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #228
Shorty82
DIS Veteran

Maps of the resorts showing the DSAs are here.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Shorty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #229
Tigger714
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to mention how impressed and pleased I am that everyone is really trying to figure out where the DSA's are before they get there. All of you really seem to want to make things better for our children. I have a child with asthma and smoke really sets him off (last hotel stay we ended up in the ER) so Thank You, for being soo considerate!

Ariel

Take this quiz!

Tigger714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #230
cc1075
cc

Smoking - Guest Services

I too am impressed with the attitude of all of the smokers - - especially since I am one. I wrote Guest Services with some of my concerns regarding residual smoke in the room. Today they called and were very, very nice. The policy is being revised daily - but as far as they knew - no fines have been levied. Actually they have to find evidence of smoking in the room - i.e. butts, ashes, etc. or they have to see you smoking on the balcony. I also mentioned the lack of covered DSA and the need to keep the smoking areas clean. I know last year at OKW they rarely cleaned the smoking "pots". They will make a note of those areas and try to improve those things. So all in all I think this is a policy that can work for everyone if we just keep fixing the little problems.
cc1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #231
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Hi, to answer questions; yes, we stayed at BWV and I meant BW DSA's for the restaurants; I noticed 2 along the actual Boardwalk, 1 near benches against the building by the arcade and bakery, 1 along the water away from the building and the 1 mentioned by another poster under the covered area near the stairs - you can feel some cold air when the door to BWI is opened here. We didn't visit BC this trip sorry to say! At the Poly I noticed 3 DSA's near the pool and pool bar; 1 at the end of the patio for Captain Cooks near the Marina, 1 along the walkway from Captain Cooks to the pool, and near the bar and hairwrap station there was a trash can with a few of the black Poly ashtrays..I can't remember if the trash can had a DSA sign, but there were 5 tables with smokers & ashtrays by that area so we picked up an ashtray and got a table for our lunch and swim. I know the Poly map only shows 1 DSA near the pool, but I saw these 3 areas during my visit. At GF I used the DSA outside 1900 Park Fare towards the bus stop. As with everything at WDW, this is what I found on this particular visit and is subject to change!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #232
tracipierce
DIS Veteran

subscribing
Old 07-03-2007, 06:24 AM   #233
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyolic View Post
We have just returned from POR and was given a former smoking room. Let me start by saying that I am a nonsmoker who really cannot stand the smell of smoke. So, when the CM told me I was in the "coveted" building 18 my first reaction was, "Oh no, wasn't that a smoking room?" The CM very nicely stated that all rooms were nonsmoking as of June 1st, which I replied that I already knew that but I asked him if all the mattresses were changed and the rooms thoroughly cleaned. He assured me they were and we went to the room.

I detected absolutely no smell of smoke in the room. Upon laying down, I smelled no smoke in the mattresses nor pillows. I even did the "deep smell" test to make sure and it was totally fine in my opinion.

I only saw 3 DSAs at the resort, but there are more. They all had nice benches to sit. One especially was nice in front of a bridge to Ole Man Island.

The only one that bothered me was the one that was right next to the pool bar because it was totally unavoidable and there were a lot of smokers there at the time. Otherwise, no big deal for nonsmokers!
Thank you for the report. I have been waiting for you to come back. Were any of the DSA's covered that you noticed?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 AM   #234
alldiz
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the report Tink....
Kerri
1978-offsite 1st visit, 1982, 1992 offsite, May 2006- 1st family trip Wilderness Lodge, Nov 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Jan 07- POFQ and POP, May 2007- SSR 1st DVC trip Aug 2007- YC, BCV...and POFQ free diningApril 2008-BWV,and OKW Oct 2008-BWV and WLV 1st trip "home", Nov/Dec 2009- WLV and DCL April 2011- BCV, Carnival Cruise,AKV(Kidani), BLT.... Aug/Sept 2011-OKW, and BWVMarch/April 2013-SSR May 2013-BWV and BCV June/July 2013-Carnival Cruise and WLV Dec/Jan 2013/14 -AKV Jambo, Carnival Cruise, WLV
alldiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #235
AggieTexan
Mouseketeer

We got exactly what we requested at the Yacht Club -- first floor near a DSA and didn't have a problem during our stay. We were about a 30 second walk from the DSA, which is no further than we walk at home to go outside and smoke.

There was no mention of the smoking policy during check-in, and the map we were provided didn't have the locations marked on it (but I had printed out one to take with me! ). Very few of the DSAs that I saw at the YC/BC are covered. The DSA closest to our room was by the tennis court and the quiet pool area. We never saw anyone else there, but I know others used it because the butt can got quite full before it was emptied.
AggieTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #236
Disneyolic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp0421 View Post
Thank you for the report. I have been waiting for you to come back. Were any of the DSA's covered that you noticed?
The only one that was covered would be by the pool bar. I'm not even sure that was truly a DSA where a bunch of people were sitting because I thought the DSA was just outside of the bar area. Nonetheless, no one was stopping them from smoking there and I didn't stay in that area anyway because of the kiddos so it was no big deal. The DSA by one of the bridges in the bayou section going over to Ole Man Island had tree cover only but was a very very lovely area to sit. The DSA by the main building right out front was in full sunlight with no shade whatsoever. Those were the only ones that I observed....
Disneyolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #237
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have a report on Pop's DSA's. I have no problem with no smoking in rooms but think some balconies should be DSA's Does anyone have a # to call to voice my opinions ?
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #238
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Does anyone have a report on Pop's DSA's. I have no problem with no smoking in rooms but think some balconies should be DSA's Does anyone have a # to call to voice my opinions ?
pop is a value and doesn't have a balcony.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #239
Mary2e
DIS Veteran

Just back from the Poly.....

I requested a room on the 1st floor with a quiet pool view. This was for a couple of reasons. The first was easy access out and the second was to get away from the noise at the volcano pool until all hours .

There was no mention of DSAs at check in and I was provided with a map which included their locations.

The DSAs are plentiful at the Poly. Each building has one, with a bench and a couple of ashtrays as well as a garbage pail. Some were covered, some not.

The easiest for me to access was next to the quite poolhouse (where the rest rooms are located) and was covered. It wasn't too long a walk, though there was another on the other side of the building which would have been closer. I felt it was a little isolated and would not be comfortable there alone at night.

The most "comfortable" DSA was right next to Capt Cook's with tables and chairs.

Other DSA locations were on 2nd and 3rd floors of some buildings, though I think it was the buildings without much land around them.

All that said, I doubt I will be staying at another Disney hotel because of this policy and I heard the same from others. Some people were quite upset and some were just annoyed. I may consider staying at the Ft. Wild. cabins because smoking is allowed on the decks.

I also saw plenty of people smoking on their balcony and patio. I was one of them after seeing it for a few days. We all did it early in the morning or late at night. I also smoked in the covered table areas around the quiet pool because people were not around me. People smoked where no one was around - like on the beach at night or in the morning. I was also lucky in that my room was behind landscaping so I was pretty much hidden.

While the Poly did a very good job providing DSAs (IMHO), the simple act of having to get dressed in the morning to go out to a DSA and/or having to go to one before bed when I was dead tired from running around all day is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. I longed to be able to sit comfortably on a chair, have a cigarette and relax.

I think Disney underestimated the numbers of smokers they had. I always asked for a non-smoking room if I knew I would have a balcony. That is not to annoy non-smokers, but because I was told it was allowed. I suspect there are lots of people who did the same.

I recently stayed at the Dolphin for a convention, and they also may be getting my business in the future. At least I can get a balcony and smoke on it if I don't ask for a smoking room.

As for looks from people walking by the DSAs - particularly the one near the quiet pool that half the people had to walk by - well, a few didn't even look. Some said hi, most simply ignored me.

It's a darned shame that Disney has chosen this path. We are very frequent visitors. For the first time in ages, we booked the premium package and spent a bundle. We usually stay in deluxes. They just lost our 2-3x per year money. I'm sure it's not a big loss to them - heck, I'm sure they could care less. Still, we have been going there since the early 90s and feel a bit of sorrow that I won't be going back unless they rethink this policy. I know that had we purchased in the DVC I would be hopping mad about now

If you have any specific questions, just ask away
Mary2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #240
tracipierce
DIS Veteran

I'm a little dissappointed about the new smoking rules too, we stayed at the Grosvenor last year which was non smoking in the rooms, and it really was a hassle having to go to the pool area. When I decided to book the Pop the smoking ban wasn't in force, which really did appeal to me, if i was to smoke it would be outside of the door like I do at home.
I appreciate that people don't want their kids breathing in smoke, I for one don't wish for my kids to breathe it in which is why I smoke at my back door or in the garden at home.

English Rose, I know what you mean about the balconies, although someone has said there are no balconies at POP, us English do tend to class the landings outside the room doors as balconies, so I think that is what you mean,,, anyway I cannot understand why we cannot smoke on the 'balconies', this upcoming trip I will be on my own with my two girls, I can't leave them in the room by themselves why I trek off to a DSA, so it means having to take them with me everytime I want to smoke, which kind of defeats the object of keeping them away from the smoke
plus having to go out of my way each day to find a DSA will cut into my park time which is NOT good!

So I guess I'm in agreement with you English Rose, I wouldn't mind too much not being able to smoke in the room just so long as I could smoke just outside it!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: