Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #1696
luvswdw
Earning My Ears

Csr dsa ?

Thinking on CSR for our next resort stay. Are there any dsa at any of the outside bar areas where you could snack and have a drink and chill ? What's the best building to request to be close to a nice dsa area kinda out of the way of other non smokers? What about pool areas any dsa areas at any of them?
Thank you in advance for any info.
luvswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #1697
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post

Oh and new question - we are staying @ the Swan for the first time - does anyone know what the DSA situation is there? Are there many and where they are?
We were at the Swan last December. There was a nice courtyard that was a DSA. Through the lobby right past the coffee shop. It's real close to the elevators we had to use to get to our room. I am not sure if they were the only elevators, but if so then the DSA was very easy to get to. There were also some ash trays at the ends of the walkway between the Swan and Dolphin.
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #1698
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy2803 View Post
We were at the Swan last December. There was a nice courtyard that was a DSA. Through the lobby right past the coffee shop. It's real close to the elevators we had to use to get to our room. I am not sure if they were the only elevators, but if so then the DSA was very easy to get to. There were also some ash trays at the ends of the walkway between the Swan and Dolphin.
Thanks Krissy!
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #1699
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
We were the 2nd door down from the entrance on the left, facing the quiet pool. Best room location we have ever had at the Poly!
Yes that was about where we were, you could walk out the patio to the quiet pool lol and our room was 2 doors down as you walked in the side door that faced the smoking area. Poly granted my room request perfectly

maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #1700
janabananas
DIS Veteran

POP dsa

Not sure if anyone has reported back recently from POP. The DSA just after leaving the lobby going to the hippy dippy pool has been removed. The benches were pulled out and there is now a sign that points to the pool bar area DSA.

It was there when I was at POP in early Sept, and when I was there this week it was gone.

HTH
Old 11-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #1701
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
Yes that was about where we were, you could walk out the patio to the quiet pool lol and our room was 2 doors down as you walked in the side door that faced the smoking area. Poly granted my room request perfectly
We had the same room! ..... and, it was PERFECT! That was in 2008, the year Hurricane Ike hit the Houston/Galveston area...on the day we were scheduled to leave! We managed to get a very early morning flight out into Tampa instead of Orlando and rented a car. DH had to stay behind...he's a member of the CERT team as well as a County Official and needed to be here if Ike moved across our area. Sad to see him stay behind (he managed to get out of Houston the following Monday on one of the first flights out after the airport reopened) BUT I actually had that fabulous room to myself for almost 3 full days! DD and her family were on the 3rd floor so I didn't even have DGD's knocking on my door! Ended up being one of the best vacations ever! Anyone on this thread looking forward to a stay at the Poly request TOKELAU, Room #1940!
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #1702
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by janabananas View Post
Not sure if anyone has reported back recently from POP. The DSA just after leaving the lobby going to the hippy dippy pool has been removed. The benches were pulled out and there is now a sign that points to the pool bar area DSA.

It was there when I was at POP in early Sept, and when I was there this week it was gone.

HTH
Humm, wonder if I'm to blame for that one!

I did send an e-mail of my experience at Pop. Disney CM's did not get what I was saying. They told me that they are decreasing the smoking areas, which is what I thought was happening.

The point I was trying to make is that it's not working. It is encouraging people to smoke anywhere.

I guess I will have to call the CM and tell him again.

I have a call into my TA and will be looking for a new vacation spot. I'm sad that I will not be going to WDW again next year.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #1703
ransom
DIS Veteran

On our trip from Nov 5-19, I didn't notice many changes to the DSAs versus last December. The one by the Tomorrowland Speedway is of course gone. The one by Tower of Terror was also gone, but they just moved it back to near the CS restaurants so that's actually an improvement IMO as it is a larger area and there is plenty of "seating" on the planter walls.

All the DSAs in Animal Kingdom and Epcot were unchanged, as were those at Wilderness Lodge. They really, really need to find room for a DSA in Africa at AK. It's such a long walk to the one by Everest or the one in Camp Minnie-Mickey.

We stopped over at the Polynesian and ventured outside of the Great Ceremonial House for the first time ever, and I was surprised at how many DSAs that resort has.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #1704
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom View Post
On our trip from Nov 5-19, I didn't notice many changes to the DSAs versus last December. The one by the Tomorrowland Speedway is of course gone. The one by Tower of Terror was also gone, but they just moved it back to near the CS restaurants so that's actually an improvement IMO as it is a larger area and there is plenty of "seating" on the planter walls.

All the DSAs in Animal Kingdom and Epcot were unchanged, as were those at Wilderness Lodge. They really, really need to find room for a DSA in Africa at AK. It's such a long walk to the one by Everest or the one in Camp Minnie-Mickey.

We stopped over at the Polynesian and ventured outside of the Great Ceremonial House for the first time ever, and I was surprised at how many DSAs that resort has.
There is one in Africa. Around behind Tusker House. Follow the line of strollers along the wall past the bar and you will find it.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #1705
smidgy
dimples

nope, sorry squirrel, but you're mistaken. we had read where they took that one away also. (at first it was nearer the bar, then they hid it away behind the rest. then it went POOF! ) we tried to smoke there since it is a perfect out of the way spot, but a CM shooed us away.
it is ridiculous. how can they expect people to follow the rules when there is no dsa between the one near everest and the one in camp miniie mickey? (you can't count the one you have to take a train to get o near Rafikis).
there used to be one by the intersection to go to Kali.. you had to go down a few steps that also went POOF!
I don't think it's fair or right, and I don't even have a horse in this race anymore as we both quit. I would rather not smell the smoke either, (it makes me think about it) but most smokers try really hard to obey the rules.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #1706
ransom
DIS Veteran

I believe the former DSA behind Tusker House is now the staging area for the Wild Africa Trek. If so, then it makes sense that the DSA is gone, I guess.

But they could have revived any of the other ones that were out of the way, in compensation, instead of expecting smokers to trek all the way across the park to get to a DSA after eating at Tusker House.

There was a really nice, out of the way one on the trail (now a character greeting trail) that parallels the main road from Africa to Asia.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #1707
THERESA522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvswdw View Post
Thinking on CSR for our next resort stay. Are there any dsa at any of the outside bar areas where you could snack and have a drink and chill ? What's the best building to request to be close to a nice dsa area kinda out of the way of other non smokers? What about pool areas any dsa areas at any of them?
Thank you in advance for any info.
Yes, I would love to know this answer, too. I smoke and am bringing my kids solo. A good room location would make things easier for me. Anyone have a map with the dsa's on it for CSR?

Just found this!

http://www.wdwinfo dot com/maps/CoronadoMap.pdf

POR 2012, AKL 2010, Pop 2009, Pop 2008, POFQ 2008, AsMo 2007, Dolphin 1998, off-site 1993, off-site 1987, off-site 1st trip 1979!
THERESA522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #1708
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom View Post
There was a really nice, out of the way one on the trail (now a character greeting trail) that parallels the main road from Africa to Asia.
That one was perfect!
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #1709
smidgy
dimples

it WAS perfect, out of the way, you would have to purposely go to it to smoke.

jsut like the old DSA behind the Christmas shop in Lberty square, it was out of the way, no real reason for any non-smokers to walk by it. so.. they elimintatd it and made it a meet a greet for Princess Tianana.

but! they relocated it. to the "bridge", wooden walkway that everyone uses as a shortcut to BTMR.. many nonsmokers walk by it. go figure. now non smokers are bothered, smokers get dirty looks.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #1710
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
nope, sorry squirrel, but you're mistaken. we had read where they took that one away also. (at first it was nearer the bar, then they hid it away behind the rest. then it went POOF! ) we tried to smoke there since it is a perfect out of the way spot, but a CM shooed us away.
it is ridiculous. how can they expect people to follow the rules when there is no dsa between the one near everest and the one in camp miniie mickey? (you can't count the one you have to take a train to get o near Rafikis).
there used to be one by the intersection to go to Kali.. you had to go down a few steps that also went POOF!
I don't think it's fair or right, and I don't even have a horse in this race anymore as we both quit. I would rather not smell the smoke either, (it makes me think about it) but most smokers try really hard to obey the rules.
Wow, they are cutting the DSA a lot. That one was open behind Tusker House when I was there. I had to leave and wait over by the bar as it was too smokey for me.

I need to call back the CM from the e-mail. I still haven't done it! I'm mad that I have to find a new vacation spot.

For two years I have been telling them that they aren't doing something or that they are doing something different because I never had so much trouble with asthma attacks at Pop or the parks. They kept insisting that nothing had changed until I got the e-mail that confirmed they are getting rid of the DSA.

I don't mind DSA, as long as I can avoid walking right near them. Now that I know what Disney is doing, I'd like them to add more DSA. I'd like to feel safe going to the parks and at the resort. The last thing anyone wants is to be taken by ambulance to the hospital while on vacation.

I called but the CM who sent the e-mail is not in his office. I left him a message with my phone # and when I would be at home so he will hopefully be able to call when I'm home.

Last edited by squirrel; 12-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: