Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #1681
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,830

I have maps.. somewhere in this house! but I do know when we did smoke (just quit this last Jan.) every trip more and more of the dsas were disappearing, and more and more benches in the dsas left were gone, too.

but we agree on one thing. giving smokers less places to smoke is back firing.

I don't like walking right past them now either (makes me want one!), but eliminating dsas is a bad idea.

sometimes Disney does learn. example: the dsa near the dancing fountain in epcot. it was so far back far away from the fountains or the walkway, no where near a door to mouse gears. anyone would have to make a pointto walk back into that area to get near it. so, disney took it away!
well, so many of us smokers just kept using it as a dsa anyway. we knew it should be one. not ususally a rule breaker, but we all knew we weren't bothering anyone by smoking way back there. so Disney brought it back!!!
smidgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #1682
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,830

just llike the one in the landscape alcove by the Land. or that alcove WAY over to the right of Living seas, kinda near coral reef, but not near the door at all, or where anyone would walk past. again, someone would have to make a point of walking over to the smokers to be bothered by it. so naturally, its gone!
not that it matters to us anymore, but there is not ONE DSA on that whole side of future world!! there is enough waling at epcot. I picture smokers searching and walking, checking the map, looking where the dsas used to be searching again, getting tired and frustrated trying to follow the rules, and just give up and light up.
smidgy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #1683
UncleFester
Earning My Ears
 
UncleFester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19

OK, so I've looked at a number of pages here and done a few searches, but nothing that really answers my particular "smoking" question. So, at risk of negative responses, here I go.

I am a cigar smoker. I enjoy 4-5 a week, usually at night, and on weekends, if I can squeeze in a morning stogie with my coffee, I'm a happy camper. I don't drink... ONLY this one precious vice. We will be staying at the Poly in July 2012. I don't want to bother anyone, I just want to be left alone to enjoy my cigar. Is there a cigar bar anywhere in the entire area... a back in the woods spot out of the way so I don't have to worry about the wrath of some unknown victim of my pleasure????

I'm a simple man. I have simple tastes. This trip means EVERYTHING to my wife and daughter.... I just want ONE area where I can smoke in total peace.

Thank you.
__________________
"Things always work out in the end. If things aren't working out, it must not be the end yet."

UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #1684
DebbyLof428
DIS Veteran
 
DebbyLof428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
OK, so I've looked at a number of pages here and done a few searches, but nothing that really answers my particular "smoking" question. So, at risk of negative responses, here I go.

I am a cigar smoker. I enjoy 4-5 a week, usually at night, and on weekends, if I can squeeze in a morning stogie with my coffee, I'm a happy camper. I don't drink... ONLY this one precious vice. We will be staying at the Poly in July 2012. I don't want to bother anyone, I just want to be left alone to enjoy my cigar. Is there a cigar bar anywhere in the entire area... a back in the woods spot out of the way so I don't have to worry about the wrath of some unknown victim of my pleasure????

I'm a simple man. I have simple tastes. This trip means EVERYTHING to my wife and daughter.... I just want ONE area where I can smoke in total peace.

Thank you.
The Poly has many DSA's and they don't say "No cigar smoking" - a few that come to mind are: in front of Hawaii near the quiet pool(my favorite); in front of Tangaroa Terrace; out the rear sliding doors of the Great Ceremonial House; the far end of Tahiti near the pathway to TTC; the pathway to the boat dock; and a few more that I can't remember right now. These were accurate as of Nov.2010. If anything has changed I will post when I return.
__________________
DebbyLof428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #1685
UncleFester
Earning My Ears
 
UncleFester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyLof428 View Post
The Poly has many DSA's and they don't say "No cigar smoking" - a few that come to mind are: in front of Hawaii near the quiet pool(my favorite); in front of Tangaroa Terrace; out the rear sliding doors of the Great Ceremonial House; the far end of Tahiti near the pathway to TTC; the pathway to the boat dock; and a few more that I can't remember right now. These were accurate as of Nov.2010. If anything has changed I will post when I return.
Thank you for your reply! I will do my very best to stay out of sight, smell, and mind.
__________________
"Things always work out in the end. If things aren't working out, it must not be the end yet."

UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #1686
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran
 
goopysolelady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellville, TX
Posts: 21,966

Here's one outside Tokelau...loved it there but it does have "traffic". There's another (facing the DSA) to the left, down the path to the side of the longhouse...there's another path to the right with a DSA. That one is a little more private but does still have some traffic. When guest walked by I'd just say "Good Morning" and smile . Never had any "dirty looks".

__________________
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #1687
MoeMan
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2

Lightbulb Smoking

We always stay at Wilderness Lodge, I do smoke,but I cannot understand why the smoking area is by the door of the heath club.
MoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #1688
UncleFester
Earning My Ears
 
UncleFester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
Here's one outside Tokelau...loved it there but it does have "traffic". There's another (facing the DSA) to the left, down the path to the side of the longhouse...there's another path to the right with a DSA. That one is a little more private but does still have some traffic. When guest walked by I'd just say "Good Morning" and smile . Never had any "dirty looks".


The only reason I worry is that cigars seem to have the reputation of being a little more "fragrant" than the average smoke of choice. The place mentioned above by the "quiet pool" is next to a lounge. Hopefully, earlier in the morning, no one will be around.
__________________
"Things always work out in the end. If things aren't working out, it must not be the end yet."

UncleFester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #1689
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard
 
2Tiggies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Too many stripes away from Tigger
Posts: 19,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I have maps.. somewhere in this house! but I do know when we did smoke (just quit this last Jan.) every trip more and more of the dsas were disappearing, and more and more benches in the dsas left were gone, too.

but we agree on one thing. giving smokers less places to smoke is back firing.

I don't like walking right past them now either (makes me want one!), but eliminating dsas is a bad idea.

sometimes Disney does learn. example: the dsa near the dancing fountain in epcot. it was so far back far away from the fountains or the walkway, no where near a door to mouse gears. anyone would have to make a pointto walk back into that area to get near it. so, disney took it away!
well, so many of us smokers just kept using it as a dsa anyway. we knew it should be one. not ususally a rule breaker, but we all knew we weren't bothering anyone by smoking way back there. so Disney brought it back!!!
I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said. As we go every year, we don't bother with park maps when we enter the parks. However courtesy of Disney's moving and changing of DSA's on a regular basis, I have learnt to at least check the DSA's for each park. Yet they seem to change with no notice even then. This year I was delighted to happen upon a new DSA at the side of the rear end of the castle (near Disney Couture). Well I stopped and smoke there late one afternoon and again that evening. Next morning we were there for morning EMH and I stopped just before 9 am for a smoke break .... and was surprised when the Fairy Godmother came and stationed herself almost right next to me. I looked around and the ashtrays and signs were gone Wow, did I put that out fast. Luckily there was nobody around Same thing at Epcot last year. Smoked in the DSA that is STILL there this year but there was one day when they took it away Yep, there was a CM there telling people it was not a smoking area. Next day, it was back! If they would just be consistent and put DSAs somewhere and leave them there, we would upset far fewer folk. I can fully respect someone trying to avoid smoke being upset if people are smoking around them. So please Disney, give us our DSA's and leave them where they are so we at least know where we can go, without lighting up where we think we can but can't because 'we've changed it just for today'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMan View Post
We always stay at Wilderness Lodge, I do smoke,but I cannot understand why the smoking area is by the door of the heath club.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post


The only reason I worry is that cigars seem to have the reputation of being a little more "fragrant" than the average smoke of choice. The place mentioned above by the "quiet pool" is next to a lounge. Hopefully, earlier in the morning, no one will be around.
Quite honestly, the only people really bothered by smoke are people who don't smoke - so no matter what the smoke is coming from , they are going to complain if they don't like it. I don't think the fact that you smoke a cigar is going to make anyone complain less or more than if you smoked a cigarette. But you are very considerate
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #1690
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,307

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
Here's one outside Tokelau...loved it there but it does have "traffic". There's another (facing the DSA) to the left, down the path to the side of the longhouse...there's another path to the right with a DSA. That one is a little more private but does still have some traffic. When guest walked by I'd just say "Good Morning" and smile . Never had any "dirty looks".

This is the one we were close to, we requested Tokelau first floor near a smoking area and we were right near the door of the Tokelau that lead out to this area.
__________________


maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #1691
CoffeeCup
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMan View Post
We always stay at Wilderness Lodge, I do smoke,but I cannot understand why the smoking area is by the door of the heath club.
We always stay at AKL-Jambo House, and one of the two smoking areas for the resort also is by the door of the health club there. It also is on the trail going to the children's playground. There are rooms with balconies overlooking the smoking area, but the people in those rooms can't smoke from their balconies. I rarely see anyone on those balconies...probably because of the smoke from the DSA.
CoffeeCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #1692
summerlady
DIS Veteran
 
summerlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sparta, New Jersey
Posts: 2,606

Just back last Friday night from our latest stay at POFQ. Still smoker/and non-smoker friendly. Easily accessible and quite a few very pleasant areas for smokers. The only one I'm hesitant to use is the one at the end of the food court because it's right by the door with kids walking past all the time. We were in building 7 this time and our smoking area was a few steps away from our room at the spitting frogs pond.
__________________


~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~POFQ September 2015~
summerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #1693
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran
 
goopysolelady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellville, TX
Posts: 21,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMan View Post
We always stay at Wilderness Lodge, I do smoke,but I cannot understand why the smoking area is by the door of the heath club.
I thought that was kind of funny myself! My friend and I would sit there and laugh as we had our morning coffee and smoke at the same time the "healthier" guests were entering the health club!
__________________
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #1694
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran
 
goopysolelady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellville, TX
Posts: 21,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
This is the one we were close to, we requested Tokelau first floor near a smoking area and we were right near the door of the Tokelau that lead out to this area.
We were the 2nd door down from the entrance on the left, facing the quiet pool. Best room location we have ever had at the Poly!
__________________
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 AM   #1695
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,521

Does anyone have a current list of DSAs in Epcot, FW & WS sides? We will be there at the end of next week and haven't been there since April, so I'm sure it's changed! I would like to have an idea of how irritating and difficult it's going to be!

Oh and new question - we are staying @ the Swan for the first time - does anyone know what the DSA situation is there? Are there many and where they are?
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: