Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #1666
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Same E-Cig info

I'm still waiting on a response to the email I sent, but I did talk to a few CMs and people who have worked at Disney and they said the same thing -- they would recommend smoking only in designated areas do to potential confusion. I think it's so silly -- it's not hard to determine the difference and I think it discourages the use of the e-cigs which is a shame because they are so much better for both the smoker and those around.

As a non-smoker, I can't stand people who smoke on balconies and it's such a mistake because the smoke will still get into the room -- it hangs on smokers and the odor can't be 'blown' off by the breeze. To me, if the habit makes it too hard to find a DSA, maybe it's time to kick the habit... (Cue e-cigs!)
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-6) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #1667
housemouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
The part of the rule that really doesn't make sense to me is why e-cigs can't be used within the privacy of your hotel room. E-cigs don't produce an odor, except possibly a brief sweet smell, they aren't fire hazards, and there are no ashes.
They can be used in your room without issue. Prohibiting use in your room is unenforceable. We also had no issue using them around the parks. Most people are pretty self absorbed, and even more so on vacation. Non-flamboyant use of them around the parks and the resorts won't even get you noticed much less confronted. I had one person in a line comment to her friend that she smelled maple syrup. I had been vaping French toast. That is the only comment we ever heard while vaping all over the place for 8 days in the world. And she didn't even know know where it was coming from or that I was the source of it even though I was standing right in front of her using it. She just smelled syrup. So anyone using e-cigs don't sweat using them at Disney. Just don't be all "big I am" about it and you probably won't even be noticed.
housemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #1668
hotmailop963
Mouseketeer

[img]http://*******************/adminfs/images/1.gif[/img]Good THREAD
hotmailop963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #1669
Staciajc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
They can be used in your room without issue. Prohibiting use in your room is unenforceable. We also had no issue using them around the parks. Most people are pretty self absorbed, and even more so on vacation. Non-flamboyant use of them around the parks and the resorts won't even get you noticed much less confronted. I had one person in a line comment to her friend that she smelled maple syrup. I had been vaping French toast. That is the only comment we ever heard while vaping all over the place for 8 days in the world. And she didn't even know know where it was coming from or that I was the source of it even though I was standing right in front of her using it. She just smelled syrup. So anyone using e-cigs don't sweat using them at Disney. Just don't be all "big I am" about it and you probably won't even be noticed.
Well said! I, too have used my E-cig around WDW - in the parks, at the resorts and even laid on the chair @ the pool @ OKW and took a couple of puffs in front of the life guard and he grinned @ me.

For you Non-smokers: E-cigs are OBVIOUSLY not "regular" cigs...mine does glow red when I puff it, but it instantly goes black when I stop and there is no smoke coming from the cig shaft at all. Only the water vapor that I exhale. And that just dissipates super quick!

So smokers, my advice is invest in an E-cig. It is the same 'rush' as a cig (I can even get my Marlboro flavored drops, so i taste my brand!) It's well worth it even if it is for WDW vay-cays!

ME!
DS5

I LOVE BEING IN THE DVC!!
Staciajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #1670
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staciajc View Post

So smokers, my advice is invest in an E-cig. It is the same 'rush' as a cig (I can even get my Marlboro flavored drops, so i taste my brand!) It's well worth it even if it is for WDW vay-cays!
My daughter (shes 10) said something about these and I'd never heard of them. Seriously, thank you - your info might be changing my life.
Phatoomch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #1671
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
They cannot tell if you have used them in the room any way because it leaves no bad smell .
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #1672
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatoomch View Post
My daughter (shes 10) said something about these and I'd never heard of them. Seriously, thank you - your info might be changing my life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OTWK...eature=related

Interesting video from the Drs tvshow. I had never heard of these before. I don't smoke and absolutely hate ciggarettes. I think the e-cig would be great for people to use as a method to quit smoking completely. I know if I have to walk by someone getting their nic fix I'd much rather smell a faint sweet smell from the water vapor. That's really interesting.

And aparently completely illegal and banned in Canada. So probably thats why I've never heard of it.
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #1673
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I follow the rules and don't smoke anywhere I am not supposed to. Allowing people to use e-cigs on their balcony or in their room would take care of much of the problem of people smoking on their balcony and annoying others. There is nothing from an e-cig that would bother anyone except for the few people who panic when they see someone with anything that vaguely resembles a cigarette. If it were permitted, I think more people would try e-cigs instead of regular cigs so that they could comply with the rules and still enjoy their cigs. I'm sure that wouldn't be true for everyone, but it would cut down on the amount of "smoking" in undesignated areas.
Thank you for following the rules! I just returned from a 15 night stay at WDW where I had 3 asthma attacks in under 2 hrs from smokers smoking wherever they pleased. I'm sure they are not DisBoard members.

I would probably be one of the people panicing if I saw someone smoking an E-cig. My asthma is so bad that I can be 15 feet or more away from a real cigarette and have an attack. From that distance, unless it has a blue tip I would think it's a real one.

My sister has used an e-cig near me and I have had no problems. I wish they offered a really good deal on them to try and get people to switch. They seem like a great invention.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #1674
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
We are thinking of staying at the BC our next vacation to Disney. My daughter is a chain smoker and gets irritated if she cannot smoke, so a DSA close by is a must . Is there any standard rooms on the first floor near the main pool that is also close to a DSA ? She needs a close smoking area and DGD wants by the pool. So any help with this would be appreciated
I know of 3 DSA at the BC, there are probably more. I tried hard to avoid them. There is one right outside the backside of the resort on your right as you go outside. Dumb spot if you ask me, I had to use that side as that's where the ramp is for the stroller/wheelchair.

There is one out by the quiet pool on the right hand side before you get to the pool area. I went out that way a few times-never even saw an ashtray let alone anyone smoking there.

There is another one on the pathway on your way to Epcot. I could avoid this by going through the hallways in the resort and coming out by the quiet pool.

To be honest, there was very few smokers at BC. Not even close to how many there are at Pop.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #1675
CoffeeCup
Mouseketeer

E-cigs are a great invention, and they cost less than cigarettes. Most companies have a "starter kit" that is very reasonably priced. If places like WDW would make rules that people can use e-cigarettes in the parks, in their rooms and on their balconies, probably more people would try them. I have been a smoker for over 40 years, and, in my experience, most smokers really don't want to annoy other people. We have so few designated areas now, and they often are in such inconvenient and uncomfortable places, that some smokers decide to ignore rules and smoke wherever they wish. Giving approval to using e-cigs would eliminate many problems created by smokers since I think more smokers would try them if it meant they could enjoy them without having people complain that they were breaking rules, fanning away non-existent smoke, or giving fake coughs. Man people with asthma probably could breath more easily if e-cigs were more widely accepted.
CoffeeCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #1676
bonzarella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
E-cigs are a great invention, and they cost less than cigarettes. Most companies have a "starter kit" that is very reasonably priced. If places like WDW would make rules that people can use e-cigarettes in the parks, in their rooms and on their balconies, probably more people would try them. I have been a smoker for over 40 years, and, in my experience, most smokers really don't want to annoy other people. We have so few designated areas now, and they often are in such inconvenient and uncomfortable places, that some smokers decide to ignore rules and smoke wherever they wish. Giving approval to using e-cigs would eliminate many problems created by smokers since I think more smokers would try them if it meant they could enjoy them without having people complain that they were breaking rules, fanning away non-existent smoke, or giving fake coughs. Man people with asthma probably could breath more easily if e-cigs were more widely accepted.
4/08 Star Island [12/07 Xmas @ Ft. W cabins 11/07 at Bonnet Creek 10/07 at Silver Lakes F&W&W&W&W 9/07 Bouncedback w/FDP @Pop at Bonnet Creek 6/07 Bonnet Creek OKW-offsite 3/07 Proud Parents of AKV 2/07 OKW-Pirate & Princess Party 11/06-OKW-MVMCP with KB! 9/06-Pop Century/FDP/Bonnet Creek 3/06-OKW-Spring Break10/05-OKW/MNSSHP 7/05-OKW/Vero Beach/OKW 3/05-Regal Palm 10/04-DVC MEMBERS
7/04-Fort Wilderness Cabins-1st Family trip

[
bonzarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #1677
TwinPrincessMama
Mouseketeer

So I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm starting to plan next year trip now and I want to stay at CBR. It's just gonna be me and the kidlets. I want CBR because they have the smoking courtyards.

Does any other resort have rooms that are really close/in view of the smoking area?

Also depending on how work goes, I might have to stay at a value. Does anyone know where I can find a map of the smoking areas at the all-stars?
TwinPrincessMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #1678
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have found that there are lots of DSA in the parks. Uncomfortable places? Quite a few I have seen have seating areas. Quite often they are not very far away from the main path-which is my complaint. They really need to do something about the one by Aloha Isle in MK and Asia in AK. I didn't even venture into Asia as I refuse to go past the smoking area.

I finally remembered to go and see the wishing well by Cinderella's castle one evening after the park closed. I have never been in all the trips as I always forget to go late in the evening after the park closes as there is a smoking area by the castle.

Also note to anyone else-if the crane is by the castle they change the DSA to the opposite side of the castle. That was a close call! Came up the hill and found it to be a smoking area
Old 10-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #1679
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I have found that there are lots of DSA in the parks. Uncomfortable places? Quite a few I have seen have seating areas. Quite often they are not very far away from the main path-which is my complaint. They really need to do something about the one by Aloha Isle in MK and Asia in AK. I didn't even venture into Asia as I refuse to go past the smoking area.

I finally remembered to go and see the wishing well by Cinderella's castle one evening after the park closed. I have never been in all the trips as I always forget to go late in the evening after the park closes as there is a smoking area by the castle.

Also note to anyone else-if the crane is by the castle they change the DSA to the opposite side of the castle. That was a close call! Came up the hill and found it to be a smoking area
I'm sorry, but this is not true. they have been cutting back on DSA's every year. I no longer smoke, but I beleive in smoker's rights. AK has only 4 dsas! hardly enough. the one by EE is near a very wide path.
there used to be another one in Asia, near africa, where you had to walk down into a little hidden area.. out of the way totally, so naturally they removed it.
there was by thwe dawa bar. over to the side. then the moved it way in the back, then they removed it.
I do agree (always have) about the one near aloha isle. but some they removed make no sense. they took away the one hidden behind the Christmas shop at MK. it was way out of the way. replace it with a meet and greet.

there needs to be plentyDSAS, make it harder and harder for smokers, and more and more (not us dissers) will just give up and try to find an out of the way place on their own,.

Last edited by smidgy; 10-17-2011 at 03:50 PM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #1680
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I unfortunately don't have a map of AK from this year. It rainned and my map was wet so I threw it out.

I do have my maps from MK and DHS. DHS has lots of smoking areas (maybe that's why it's my least favorite park). 10 DSA in DHS, and only 6 in MK.

Can't seem to find one from Epcot either. Last year's map had 15. Last year AK had 6. MK had 10 (Toontown only had 1).

It appears to me they are trying to discourage smokers with less places to smoke. I think it is back-firing and people are just smoking wherever they please.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: