Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #1531
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan595 View Post
I'm being asked by my bff what about Wilderness Lodge Villa's? Her hubby is worse than mine is and if he can't smoke freely he'll be not fun to be around for 7 days !
We stayed in a studio in 2009. I requested a room close to a DSA when I checked in and we got the perfect location! we were located close to the main lodge; exited the doors to the bus stop toward the ramp leading to the main area of the Villas. There is a set of steps at the very beginning of the walkway (to the left); entered that door and our room was the 2nd down the hallway to the right. In fact, we could walk out our patio door directly to the bus stop! The DSA we used the most was the one right outside the exit from the Main Lodge. Toward the end of the trip I discovered the DSA close to the pool was just as close! Down our hallway to the right from our room; in the "common" area of the Villas and out the "back door" toward the pool. That hallway was to the right of the exercise room. I've posted almost ALL of my pictures on the Resort Photos section (at the top) of this thread. We also used the DSA behind the bar area by the main pool...mostly on the way or returning from the boat launch.
Now...if you happen to get a room waaay on the "lower end" of the Villas you'll have quite a "hike" to get to either of these DSA's!

View to the right of our patio. The covered area is the walkway to the bus stop/Main Lodge area:

DSA is behind the pool in the area to the right:
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #1532
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
Looks like another one bit the dust. If you go to the last post here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2666828 and look through the pics, the new fastpass distribution is at the DSA that was next to Tony's. That was my favorite one in MK after they closed the nice one behind Liberty Square. Wanna bet they didn't add another one to replace it anywhere?
I LOVED THAT ONE ...as I loved the one behind Liberty Square! I'm getting a little ticked off!
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #1533
DisneyStoryMania
Mouseketeer

We Have stayed at CBR and POR, the smoking areas in these resorts were all over the place, I do think a smoking policy is in order now a days, but the smokers still need to be accomadated just as the other guest that do not smoke are....

I do however love the morning walks to the DSA and sitting there talking with the other people there is great in 2009 I met the best DF ever and we are still best friends today thanks to FB....but just to point out the two resorts we have stayed at were great for DSA's...Never felt like I had to walk a mile to get to one and was not uncomfortable while we were there.

CBR October 2009POR October 2010AKV (KIDANI)July 2011 AOA November 2012
DisneyStoryMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #1534
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
I LOVED THAT ONE ...as I loved the one behind Liberty Square! I'm getting a little ticked off!
I totally agree. More and more DSA's are disappearing and more non smokers are complaining about the ones that are still left. At least with all of the foreign visitors they can't ban smoking completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStoryMania View Post
We Have stayed at CBR and POR, the smoking areas in these resorts were all over the place, I do think a smoking policy is in order now a days, but the smokers still need to be accomadated just as the other guest that do not smoke are....

I do however love the morning walks to the DSA and sitting there talking with the other people there is great in 2009 I met the best DF ever and we are still best friends today thanks to FB....but just to point out the two resorts we have stayed at were great for DSA's...Never felt like I had to walk a mile to get to one and was not uncomfortable while we were there.
I wasn't at smoker while we were at POR so I can't comment on that one, but thought that POFQ was pretty accommodating.

I see by your ticker that you're staying at AKV next. Jambo only has two DSA's, and I'm not sure about Kidani. But hey, at least you're not staying at BWI - I usually end up walking a loonngg way to get to the DSA's there.

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #1535
AggieTexan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goopysolelady View Post
You're on the right track. I'm not as familiar with BWI/BWV as I am with some of the other resorts (we've only stayed there once and for only 2 nights before moving over to BLT) but I have a little "lay of the land" and either one of those requests sound good to me. The main thing, IMO, would be getting close to an elevator. Our BWV room overlooked the courtyard/Clown pool area and the walk to 2 of the 3 DSA's pictured was not that far...down the hall to the elevator; out the elevator and down a short hall to the outdoors. Once again ... main thing is getting close to an elevator!
The main entrance does not give you "direct" access to the Boardwalk (as in the front desk area). I'm trying to visualize the exact "route" and it's "foggy"! I'm thinking you exit the elevators; take a right down a hallway and you'll find a door exiting to the Boardwalk area. Other Disboarders may be more helpful but the photo below is the DSA I'm talking about:

...there's a door on the left side of the picture that's from the hallway I spoke about.

This area goes to the Boardwalk:

...this is a photo looking to the right as you exit the Main Lobby area:

Hope I haven't confused you!

CONGRATS TO THE LADY AGGIES BASKETBALL TEAM...NCAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!
Thanks so much for the pictures...I think I can visualize the layout pretty well in my head. I put in a request today for third or second floor near Flying Fish. That would put me reasonably close to my morning coffee, and it won't be too terribly difficult to get outside. Now I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
AggieTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #1536
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTexan View Post
Thanks so much for the pictures...I think I can visualize the layout pretty well in my head. I put in a request today for third or second floor near Flying Fish. That would put me reasonably close to my morning coffee, and it won't be too terribly difficult to get outside. Now I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
GOOD LUCK! I'm more than a little jealous!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #1537
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Hi all
I figured that this might be the best place to ask this question and sorry if this is answered else where in the thread
My DH is a smoker and we love to get to dinner reservations early so that we can grab a pre-dinner cocktail (me ) and sit outside for a smoke (DH)
Are the bars at GF, CR, WL and the Poly happy for you to take drinks outside to a DSA?
Do you have to tell them you are doing this/get a plastic cup etc?
Also is there generally a DSA within easy reach of the main bars/restaurants when we could sit
TIA!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #1538
4disneygenerations
Mouseketeer

So I guess this thread is where I can ask about the parks as well as the resorts Has any of my fellow smokers been there recently? Last year I have to say it was difficult to find the correct ares to lite up. my favorite places were gone, like AK near Tusker house, late afternoon with a beer, Epcot near the water by Germany, also with a beer
Do they have new maps yet with the correct areas? Any additional areas or new areas? Thanks a bunch for any assistance
Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #1539
kaffinito
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Hi all
I figured that this might be the best place to ask this question and sorry if this is answered else where in the thread
My DH is a smoker and we love to get to dinner reservations early so that we can grab a pre-dinner cocktail (me ) and sit outside for a smoke (DH)
Are the bars at GF, CR, WL and the Poly happy for you to take drinks outside to a DSA?
Do you have to tell them you are doing this/get a plastic cup etc?
Also is there generally a DSA within easy reach of the main bars/restaurants when we could sit
TIA!
You could ask them for a plastic cup at the main bar, but I don't know if they would have them there or not.

However, you could get your before dinner drinks at the pool bars, since they do have plastic cups and are usually not too far from the DSA's at the resorts you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4disneygenerations View Post
So I guess this thread is where I can ask about the parks as well as the resorts Has any of my fellow smokers been there recently? Last year I have to say it was difficult to find the correct ares to lite up. my favorite places were gone, like AK near Tusker house, late afternoon with a beer, Epcot near the water by Germany, also with a beer
Do they have new maps yet with the correct areas? Any additional areas or new areas? Thanks a bunch for any assistance
I'll find out when I'm there this week.

I'm upset over the disappearing DSA's and the lack of updates on Disney's part too. They took away my DSA's in France and China too. I think the only one left in WS is the big one with the benches.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #1540
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

[QUOTE]
Quote:
You could ask them for a plastic cup at the main bar, but I don't know if they would have them there or not.

However, you could get your before dinner drinks at the pool bars, since they do have plastic cups and are usually not too far from the DSA's at the resorts you mentioned.
Thanks for the info

Do you happen to know if the pool bars are open early in the evening?
Most of our ADRs are at 8pm so we would be getting to the resorts at around 7pm for drinks
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #1541
cassie
I did run free in the 70's
Connecticut Yankee
desperately wants to be like the others

They open around noon and close around 10pm. I can only speak of CBR and POR. You'll have plenty of time for cocktails
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #1542
smidgy
dimples

one year we wanted drinks after dinner at the poly. our plan was to order Lapu lapus and watch wishes and the electrical water pagaent. in the slower season, the pool bars close early, like around 8!
we were able to order drinks from the bar at Ohana's, in a plastic cup. but you need to both be present. dh went back in to get the drinks and came out with only one. and I had to go in myself. (to prevent anyone from giving a drink to a minor).
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #1543
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
I'm upset over the disappearing DSA's and the lack of updates on Disney's part too. They took away my DSA's in France and China too. I think the only one left in WS is the big one with the benches.
That ticks us off as well. My husband enjoys a cigar stop every now and again and the maps are seldom correct.

When we were there in October (and I know how quickly things change so they may not be the same now), there was a DSA in front of the Odyssey Pavilion on WS; a DSA between Norway and China (service entrance for CMs and park equipment with a couple of benches); one near the fountain in Italy behind the shops but before Via Napoli (right side - several benches); between Japan and Morocco; a DSA with benches inside the gate at the EPCOT International Gateway exit; and a DSA just beyond the rose garden entrance to FW on the left side of WS.

Disney merely moved the one from the lovely area in China to a rather sterile service area that has no shade until later in the day. No cover either.

Let us know what you find kaffinito.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #1544
kaffinito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
That ticks us off as well. My husband enjoys a cigar stop every now and again and the maps are seldom correct.

When we were there in October (and I know how quickly things change so they may not be the same now), there was a DSA in front of the Odyssey Pavilion on WS; a DSA between Norway and China (service entrance for CMs and park equipment with a couple of benches); one near the fountain in Italy behind the shops but before Via Napoli (right side - several benches); between Japan and Morocco; a DSA with benches inside the gate at the EPCOT International Gateway exit; and a DSA just beyond the rose garden entrance to FW on the left side of WS.

Disney merely moved the one from the lovely area in China to a rather sterile service area that has no shade until later in the day. No cover either.

Let us know what you find kaffinito.
The only one there now in WS is the one with the benches just past Germany. The one by Norway is gone. I didn't look for one in Italy by Via Napoli, so it might still be there. The one in China is altogether gone, so is the one going towards the friendship boats. The one by Italy that was towards the water is gone too.

The DSA by the entrance to WS by the rose garden is still there.

There are two in EPCOT that I found, one of them (by the bathrooms in front of Spaceship earth) is gone. The one by Mouse Gear and the fountain is still there, and the one by the Land pavilion is still there.

As far as DTD being a smokers paradise, all of the smoking ashtrays are gone from the Marketplace. There aren't any anywhere, and I searched for one. I finally ended up just smoking on a bench. They might have moved the to other out of the way areas, but if so, they aren't on the park map, and they aren't readily visible to the naked eye.

MK has lost the one by Tony's - it's a fast pass area now. So now MK has the one behind the Castle, and the one in Frontierland. I didn't go looking in Tomorrowland though.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #1545
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Not a very "encouraging" report! Don't they realize if they all the DSA's away smokers will smoke wherever they please? I desperately try to "stay away from non-smokers" -don't like confrontations and dirty looks , especially on vacation but geezz this is getting ridiculous.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: