Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #16
mattmommy
Mouseketeer
My DS loves rice. I call him my "international child".

We cruised back in 99 before we had ds6. We spend all of our time at the adults pool and serenity bay. Tell df that the characters don't hunt you down and tackle you. Quite the opposite. They have pretty standard stations in the Atrium. There's tons to do... or just relax. I love the adult pool because there's a huge amount of space where there's one inch of water to relax in... with my pina colada.
mattmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
Ears
Mickey's not Dumbo's

My wife and I did Disney and the cruise for our honeymoon. We were shocked there wasn't more kids to be seen. I also would have guessed maybe a couple hundred kids, but also heard near the thousand mark too. I wasn't really excited about having so many kids around (or even on a cruise-was my first), but Disney is what sold me on cruising:
  • elegance of the ship
  • impeccable cleanliness
  • the way they managed the kids
  • entertainment
  • how everything is an option, you don't HAVE to do anything, or you can participate
  • they didn't forget about the adults and activities

Disney plans things so completely, that when they created the line (after using the Big Red Boat for several years), they looked at every aspect. They focused on 6 main things:
-entertain the kids away from the main crowd
-maintain the Disney image including service and appearance
-provide quality food
-make sure the adults have fun too-they're the ones paying
-create the ship in a classic liner style, toning down the in-your-face style of the "lands"
-a private island was an absolute must, but would not be a "land", it would be a perfect Caribbean island paradise

I think they did it right.

Ears
Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #18
Belle2002
Mouseketeer

DCL is certainly not just for kids. My boyfriend and I went on a Disney cruise in the fall and I told him that he could pick whatever cruise line he wanted as I had already done 2 Disney cruises with my parents. We spent a lot of time looking at cruise brochures and he picked Disney (I had no complaints!!) He picked it because he thought it had class and would be more suitable for our age and would be a lot more fun than other cruiselines.
I wasn't sure what he would actually think of the cruise, but it turned out he absolutely LOVED it!! He should be a spokesperson for DCL now because all he does is tell everyone how amazing it is and how you definitely don't need kids to go on this cruise. Neither one of us are a fan of children and you can totally avoid them if you want. There are also so many adult only areas and adult only activities as well and when you are in port you do your own thing anyway. Also, if you pick the late dinner rotation you won't see kids at dinner either!
I've never been on any other cruiseline and don't really want to try another one. I love DCL. It's classy, you get amazing service, unbelievable entertainment, fabulous food and you meet lots of great people of all ages. On our cruise we were at a table for 10 at dinner and the entire table was made up of couples except for one woman travelling with her teenage daughter. Basically the age range was 25-50 and nobody had kids with them. We actually saw a ton of couples only on our cruise. It was so much fun!!

---------
Disney Magic Med Repo - Dover - Barcelona 2010
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2007
Disney Magic Eastern Carribean 2006
Port Orleans Riverside 2006
Old Key West 2005
Disney Magic Panama Canal 2005
Disneyland Hotel 2004
Vero Beach Resort 2002
Disney Wonder 2002
Beach Club Villas 2002
Vero Beach Resort 2000
Coronodo Springs 2000
Belle2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #19
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

The GF and I have been on 2 4-day cruises thus far (in fact last year we sailed with her brother and sister as well...) All adults and we have had a fantastic time... We leave on September 29 for our first 7 day cruise and we are looking forward to it!

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

A couple things that really impressed my spouse (former military50+ DINKS)

Disney's attention to Safety - he talked to a Coast Guard inspector who told him the Disney very rarely gets written up for any code violations and if they do, the subject of the write up is fixed before the next inspection - unlike some other cruise lines.

Caliber of the stage shows - and they're "clean"

No gambling. Fun things to do without going to the smokey clubs.

He was a reluctant 1st timer, but couldn't wait for the second and now impatiently waiting for the 3rd and 4th.

Last edited by LindaBabe; 06-13-2007 at 05:51 PM.
LindaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #21
DDT1978
Earning My Ears

My father was 66 years old when he went on 2 Disney cruises in one year. Now, this is a man who's children were all grown and wasn't really confortable around young kids. But, he absolutely ADORED the cruises. He loved being able to sit out on the balcony and just chill with a pop and his hand-held poker machine. Whenever we'd take off from the airport after one of the cruises, he would strike up a conversation with someone and just rave about the Disney cruises. Unfortunately, he died 5 minutes until Christmas in 2003 at the age of 67 (bacterial meningitis). My mother and I (I'm 28 by the way) just came back from the first Med cruise and I know for a fact that had Dad still been with us, he would have been on that cruise and enjoyed every minute of it.
DDT1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: