Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #106
tink929
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura&fam View Post
My DS just turned 5 and I am worried about him being a bit shy or scared (especially when Darth Vader and Darth Maul show up). How were your 5 year olds? Did you talk to them about it ahead of time or just let them be surprised?

He is so into Star Wars that I know he would love this if he'd let himself.
My daughter wasn't nervous really ahead of time, but you could tell she got a bit timid when she got picked. She sure had a hard time getting that light saber to work, and I thought she'd be embarrassed, but she just laughed and let the masters help her.
This master/assistant/whichever actually sought my daughter out at the end and gave her a big hug for trying so hard

Here are some of my girl:
Waiting to get picked:

Getting moved up front:

After the battle (I don't know that boy, apparently he just wanted to wave):

WDW - 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 (honeymoon!)
DLR - 12/07, 10/08, 09/09, 05/10, 08/10 (daytrip), 09/10
tink929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #107
miraclemax
Earning My Ears

Age limit for Jedi Training

Hi,
My sister is a huge Star Wars fan she would be thrilled to particpate in the show. However, even though she's young at heart she's 23 in reality...If I make a super cool sign do you think we have a chance?
miraclemax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #108
disneyfan4ever54
DIS Veteran

It is for kids only. The info. from DLR'S website says ages 4-12. They won't select anyone who appears over that age.
disneyfan4ever54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #109
Scrappingjen
Mouseketeer

Are kids still bringing signs? Doing this would make my DS whole trip.

Any tips on what to make for our signs? He is a Star Wars Freak
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #110
MG3G
Mouseketeer

Our 2 boys were picked together this month. We used all the "tips". Got there early and sat right at the line in the middle of our section. They wore matching bright green Disney t-shirts (and ear hats), both had small signs. Signs were are harder stock paper but the same size as a regular computer sheet. Just hand written signs. They were picked together, the first on our side. They dropped the signs and ran for it so I picked the signs up and handed them to the 2 boys who were directly behind them. (We didn't know them - I just said "Here hold these quick!" once I got over my own excitment and saw the signs on the ground still.) The 2 boys were brothers also but not wearing matching gear etc. A little bit younger and they weren't getting noticed because they were not doing the jumping yelling thing. It was nearly the end of selections but within SECONDS of them holding the signs they were both picked together too Our kids missed out on this two years ago so it was awsome to see all four get to go and the other family was so thankful for us letting them use the signs.
MG3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #111
disneyfan4ever54
DIS Veteran

Yes, the signs work for sure! They are so easy to spot from where the Jedi Master is, and it gives an easy reference point as to who he is referring to. There might be 6 kids with "red" shirts on in the area that he is pointing to, but if he says "the person with the sign"....that's really clear.
disneyfan4ever54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #112
alleycatmom
Earning My Ears

We went on March 17 and Jedi Training was the most important thing on our to-do list. (Our son is 5 and a HUGE Star Wars fan. This was his second Disney trip.)

We read all the tips on here beforehand. We showed up to the first Jedi Training about 40 minutes early and sat near the middle right, facing the stage. We had an 8 1/2 x 11" sign with Yoda saying "Pick Me You Should" and our son was wearing a Yoda shirt (green because of St. Patrick's Day) had his light saber and when the Master came out we jumped around like crazy people! Even then he was one of the last picked.

It was so awesome! He had the time of his life and his dad and I got all choked up. We took a bunch of pictures but the pro was better so we got the PhotoPass. (There were 6 taken by the pro but we only bought one.)

We were only at Disneyland for one day (thanks to the Give-A-Day promo), so I didn't want to spend the whole day going back to Jedi Training.
alleycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #113
tanyaewa
Just can't get enough!

This whole thread reminded me of the *Gravedigger* sign we took to Monster Jam 2009 - the driver flipped his truck and then ran right into the stands to give my ds6 a hug and stuffed truck. Too cool!!
You've got to give it a try right??!!
I am definitely helping to make signs for this!!
tanyaewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #114
tomato
Mouseketeer

When my son was 10 we went twice to the show because he wasn't picked the first time. (He was in the second row the first time.)

For the second show we made sure we were there early enough to get him into the front row. Also, we bought the Jedi Training hoody (it was raining and he was cold and needed it anyway ... to be honest we wouldn't have bought it otherwise, but I think it helped). DH told him to pull his hood up and when the Jedi Master began choosing, he should reach out towards him with a serious look on his face. (Insert my giggle here, LOL!)

Sure enough, the first words out of the Jedi Master's mouth were, "The force is strong with this one ... the young boy in blue in the front row ..." He was thrilled!

It is easily one of the top highlights of our trip. I have a great shot of him fight Darth Maul where DS is literally in the air. We all loved it!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #115
trish.
Mouseketeer

We first encountered the Jedi Training Academy when DS was 6 in WDW - it would have been the perfect age for him. My DH and DS went to two shows and he wasn't picked either time.

This last trip to DL in February - we knew we had to get him picked! We were there on a slow day right before Presidents Day - we went to the JTA on our first day there at the first show. He had on a Star Wars t-shirt and was in the front row.

The first kid to get picked had on a Jedi costume robe. Next a couple kids with signs. Then very random picks - but almost all were very excited and jumping up and down. Then the Jedi Master looked towards DS, I was getting excited and he picked...his little sister. Ugh! Of course my DD5 was happy, but she doesn't even really like Star Wars where her brother LOVES it. haha. She was wearing her "little miss matched" socks and stood out a bunch - but it was her pink sparkly converse that the Jedi Master noticed, "And the young Padewan in the pink sparkly force shoes" or something like that.

Interesting thing I noted - not all sign holders were picked. There were quite a few signs at that show. I know because I counted all the signs - knowing that only 25 kids get picked and felt our chances were hugely diminished. But kids that were "hiding" behind signs were not picked.

The story does end well - DS and DH stayed in the area - I think we went on Nemo. Then they just sat in JTA area while DD and I went to see Tink and friends. By the time we got through the line and returned to JTA - I was able to catch the end of DS's performance. Yay!

It was great to get that "out of the way" at the beginning of the trip. The kids really enjoyed it.

DS was picked for the second show because he jumped up and down the entire time - DH told him that was his only option so he went for it.
trish. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #116
hulamom
Mouseketeer

Aloha!

Just wanted to report that DS7 was chosen to train on Saturday 5/8! Our last visit about a 1 1/2 years ago, he just wanted to watch but not participate. This time, he really wanted to "take down Vader." I read up on this thread :-) because this was on the top of his list and I'd hate for him to not be chosen.

DD12 made a very colorful sign for him (taped 2 pieces of 8x10 plain white computer paper together and folded it up inside my bag so it passed security) that said, "PICK ME!! I *AM THE FORCE". He was also wearing a Star Wars T shirt.

We went for the 2:25 show on Saturday and arrived around 2:15. It was already pretty crowded in the front area. We found a spot for DS toward the center of the side closer to Space Mtn.

When the Jedi Master came in, DS held his sign above his head and jumped up and down. The master 1st chose from the other side (side near Nemo). When he came to our side, he chose DS first!! "The young man with the very colorful homemade sign"!!!

DS was really into it and got his chance to challenge Vader:

DS slept with his certificate and wore a new "Jedi training academy" t-shirt to school today. He has not stopped talking about it.

Mahalo!

-- Hulamom
hulamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #117
mommyof2boys1girl
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine...and he shall be my squishy.....C'mere, squishy!

How young are kids picked? My dd has no interest in "training", but she wants to watch her older brothers and have a sign too. Will we run the risk of offending the "master" if she gets picked and we decline? She's very very tiny for her age (she's 3 1/2, but she looks about 2), so will they probably pass her over anyway? Or should I try to convince her she shouldn't have a sign?

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request!

Dh Me Ds Logan (11) Ds Adam (9) DD Allie (7)

Pre-Trip Report 2008 - Springtime in Dl for the Wilsons! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1753272
Pre-Trip Report 2010 - It took 2 long years....http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2423621
mommyof2boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #118
tink929
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2boys1girl View Post
How young are kids picked? My dd has no interest in "training", but she wants to watch her older brothers and have a sign too. Will we run the risk of offending the "master" if she gets picked and we decline? She's very very tiny for her age (she's 3 1/2, but she looks about 2), so will they probably pass her over anyway? Or should I try to convince her she shouldn't have a sign?
Maybe make her a sign saying something about picking her brothers? "A little too small to take on Darth Vader - let my brothers protect me!" or something like that, and have them on either side with coordinating signs?

WDW - 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 (honeymoon!)
DLR - 12/07, 10/08, 09/09, 05/10, 08/10 (daytrip), 09/10
tink929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #119
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink929 View Post
Maybe make her a sign saying something about picking her brothers? "A little too small to take on Darth Vader - let my brothers protect me!" or something like that, and have them on either side with coordinating signs?
Great idea. When my then DS12 got picked we did not have a sign. It was before the science Hound has outlined here! He did wear a red shirt, I lifted him up in my arms and jumped up and down, and his three older brothers jumped around us and pointed at him.

To have a second sign by the cute little sister... ooooh that is clever!

Maybe her sign could alternatively say "The force is strong with this one!" and have an arrow on the sign to point to a big brother?
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #120
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

This was in WDW and DS gave it his all to get Darth. We wear matching SW shirt that I make and then he does jump up and down to get noticed. We make sure we arrive early and get up front.

He also got picked at DL to fight darth maul. It was wonderful!
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: