Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #91
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I love that pink sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura&fam View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I did know they provided them I just know that my DS will want to buy one if he doesn't have his with him . . . and probably even if he does. He already has 3 yet he still asks if we can buy another. How many lightsabers does one kid need?
My kid would say..."more".

It's totally OK to bring in your own lightsabers to the park. If you have the $8 ones from Target made by Hasbro, those are the ones sold for $10 in the park. They also sell the spring-action ones that you can find at Target...for probably half again as much. etc.

The only thing disney sells, lightsaber-wise, that's really unique (b/c you can get build-your-own kits away from the parks) is this super-cool MICKEY-themed (but not shaped) blue, light up, makes sounds, lightsaber. It's about $12. It's a chrome colored handle with mickey head accents, and the button is Mickey head shaped. Even though Ds has something like 4 of the cheapie sabers (half from Star Traders, half for maybe $5 each from Target on clearance), we got one of those ones. The sound and light are like the build-your-own, BUT they are smaller, the blade retracts *completely* like the cheapies (and UNLike the build-your-owns), and they have the all important BELT CLIP (UNlike the build-your-owns, which is how we LOST DS's brand new build-your-own, b/c it was huge and heavy and didn't have a clip).

So you might toss an extra $15 into your budget, just in case he loves those as much as my son (and husband and I/me) liked it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #92
JoyG
DIS Veteran
When I saw Titanic for the first time in the theater I was crying so hard I was making noises...a snorting/hiccuping sound.

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I did know they provided them I just know that my DS will want to buy one if he doesn't have his with him . . . and probably even if he does. He already has 3 yet he still asks if we can buy another. How many lightsabers does one kid need?
Yup. We brought our own lightsabers. We were allowed to bring them into the park, but they didn't use them for the JTA.
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #93
laura&fam
we must never, never doubt what no one is sure about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

The only thing disney sells, lightsaber-wise, that's really unique (b/c you can get build-your-own kits away from the parks) is this super-cool MICKEY-themed (but not shaped) blue, light up, makes sounds, lightsaber. It's about $12. It's a chrome colored handle with mickey head accents, and the button is Mickey head shaped. Even though Ds has something like 4 of the cheapie sabers (half from Star Traders, half for maybe $5 each from Target on clearance), we got one of those ones. The sound and light are like the build-your-own, BUT they are smaller, the blade retracts *completely* like the cheapies (and UNLike the build-your-owns), and they have the all important BELT CLIP (UNlike the build-your-owns, which is how we LOST DS's brand new build-your-own, b/c it was huge and heavy and didn't have a clip).

So you might toss an extra $15 into your budget, just in case he loves those as much as my son (and husband and I/me) liked it.
Those do sound cool . . .Star Wars and Mickey together! And $12 isn't too bad especially if it has the belt clip.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #94
2wildchildzmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much to everyone one this thread!!

Here is our story:

We arrived about 20 mins before the show (on a Saturday) and there were a few kids there but not many. We got on the front row and the kids got there signs out.

I was surprised that no one else had signs. When the Jedi Master came out he picked the boys together, yeah our plan worked! They were so excited and Ian took it so seriously.

It worked out perfectly too because Ian wanted to fight Darth Maul and Isaac really wanted to battle Darth Vader and that is just what happened!

After JTA we headed over to the Star Tours gift shop. The boys really wanted to do the build your own lightsaber, but I had read on the boards that the quality was not good. I steered them over to the lightsabers that had the mickey button and they each got one of those. They love them and have played with them constantly since we have gotten back.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #95
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Excellent story & pictures, 2wildchildzmom.

Both got picked (even your 12 y/o).

Those Darths are really taking a beating from the DisKids.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #96
2wildchildzmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks! My 12 y/o is small for his age. He is bummed that it will be the only time that he will get to do JTA. I asked him today what his favorite thing of the trip was and he said JTA of Course!

I also wanted to mention that the photopass people were there and gave us a slip of paper to view the pic later in the day at the Main St. Photo Center. We went and they were able to load the pic onto our photopass card. Very cool!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #97
laura&fam

2wildchildsmom - where did you get the graphic of mickey with the lightsaber? I have seen that before, but now that I want it I can't find it anywhere. Any Mickey/star wars graphic would be great.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #98
2wildchildzmom
Mouseketeer

I can't find where I got it from! but I did find these:
http://www.4shared.com/account/home.jsp
from the disigner WendyPooh

and from Tebi73
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...0Wars/?start=0

Just go to their posts in the Disigns thread and they will be able to personalize their disigns for you. The disigners on this board are AMAZING!

The Yoda sign is from Dominic13 and so are the name shirts.

Have Fun!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #99
laura&fam

Thank you!

I hadn't ever been on the DISigner forum, what a bunch of talented people! I found a couple of great already made Disigns that will work wonderfully and I can even print them off twice so I can have a copy for my scrapbook (that is ok isn't it?).
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 AM   #100
clb79
Mouseketeer

My son who was celebrating his 5th B-Day (wearing his button) and got picked. He was so sad when the girl next to him was chosen, then the boy on the other side and behind him got picked, he thought they had chosen him and he started to run out. The lead Instructor said "ok little one in the orange shirt since your so enthusiastic, we can use that kind of attitude".

I started to get worried when he was moved from his waiting spot where I had a good camera shot. We lost sight of him and then noticed that he was walking out center stage next to the Instructor. He ended up being the one that all of the jokes and/or comments were about. Examples:

"Little one," pats him on the head "you just keep doing your own thing, its working for you!" (About half way through learning the combination, he was really trying his hardest and was one of the younger kids picked for that show).

"You might one to aim a little higher, odds are your opponent will be bigger than you, we won't be fighting any ewoks"

Maybe these are all canned comments, but he felt like he was on top of the world.

He also got to be the first one to fight Darth Vader!

It was definitely the highlight of the trip!

(Maybe once I figure out how to post pics or videos I can add some, my profile pic is from that day...)
clb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #101
tink929
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb79 View Post
My son who was celebrating his 5th B-Day (wearing his button) and got picked. He was so sad when the girl next to him was chosen, then the boy on the other side and behind him got picked, he thought they had chosen him and he started to run out. The lead Instructor said "ok little one in the orange shirt since your so enthusiastic, we can use that kind of attitude".

I started to get worried when he was moved from his waiting spot where I had a good camera shot. We lost sight of him and then noticed that he was walking out center stage next to the Instructor. He ended up being the one that all of the jokes and/or comments were about. Examples:

"Little one," pats him on the head "you just keep doing your own thing, its working for you!" (About half way through learning the combination, he was really trying his hardest and was one of the younger kids picked for that show).

"You might one to aim a little higher, odds are your opponent will be bigger than you, we won't be fighting any ewoks"

Maybe these are all canned comments, but he felt like he was on top of the world.

He also got to be the first one to fight Darth Vader!

It was definitely the highlight of the trip!

(Maybe once I figure out how to post pics or videos I can add some, my profile pic is from that day...)
My daughter is five, and she got that spot up by the Master too. I have a couple of his jokes on video, and they're a bit canned, but still made her feel VERY special.

WDW - 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 (honeymoon!)
DLR - 12/07, 10/08, 09/09, 05/10, 08/10 (daytrip), 09/10
tink929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #102
laura&fam

My DS just turned 5 and I am worried about him being a bit shy or scared (especially when Darth Vader and Darth Maul show up). How were your 5 year olds? Did you talk to them about it ahead of time or just let them be surprised?

He is so into Star Wars that I know he would love this if he'd let himself.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #103
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
My DS just turned 5 and I am worried about him being a bit shy or scared (especially when Darth Vader and Darth Maul show up). How were your 5 year olds? Did you talk to them about it ahead of time or just let them be surprised?

We haven't gone yet, but when I told my boys about it my 9 yo was excited and my 6 yo was hesitant about it. Like you said, I know he would love it if he would let himself. I showed them some videos of JTA on youtube. There was a really good one that showed it from start to finish. After my shy 6 yo saw that he was more excited and is talking like he wants to do it. For him, I think we will need to watch the show once or twice first, and then he will want to participate.
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #104
clb79
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Our son did fine. I was a little worried he would be timid, but he was super excited and that helped him get chosen to participate and they seemed to like that particular age group a lot.

When storm troopers first show up the Jedi Master/Instructors call the kids and kind of shew them off stage while Darth Vader and Darth Maul make their introductions. He acted a little nervous and scared as everyone was scurrying around him to get over to the corner where it was "safe", but it was kind of organized chaos and it didn't seem to scare anyone too bad. The Jedi Masters did a good job of making sure the kids felt safe and protected!

We didn't tell him anything about what to expect, we just let him be surprised and take everything in as it happened. We just told him that it was the Jedi Training Academy show and left the rest to his imagination. I would love to know what he was thinking or expecting, obviously whatever it was was enough that he wanted to be picked. My little brother who is a Star Wars nerd (a member of the 501st Legion that dress up as Storm Troopers etc for parades and events) was with us and was a good Uncle that was willing to sit with him in the viewing area. Who knows what he might have said to get him excited while they were waiting (he hadn't seen the show before though, so the actual content and fighting Darth Vader and Darth Maul was a complete surprise to both of them).

I would say go for it with your son, he is almost exactly the same age as ours was and he sounds like he is in to Star Wars even more than ours was (he is obsessed now though!). Worst case scenario is he is too timid to be chosen and gets a front row seat. If he is picked the CMs working the show and the kids around him will probably be enough to get any jitters out!
clb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #105
Dinder1
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for the tips.... I would have never thought a sign would work so well!

Do they ever choose large groups of kids? We're going with some other families and might have up to 7 kids with us who want to participate. Maybe we'll just all get our signs and spread out!

May 2008 -DLR- First Trip for Kiddos
Oct 2007 -WDW- (Magic Kingdom) Mom and Dad's little getaway
April 2004 -DLR- Celebrating Expecting 3rd child
Aug 1999 -DLR- Honeymoon
Dinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: