Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
ChasRN
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll talk it over with their parents and see what they think. However, I was mulling over the idea that if we made a sign that said "we are brothers and we want to fight the dark side together", maybe there would be a better chance of getting them both chosen.

Chas
ChasRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #32
december
DIS Veteran

I love that idea!
december is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #33
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

I came across this hilarious & detailed experience of the Jedi Training Academy in recent trip report.

Lots of good information & a very funny read from diser jjames:

Quote:
And finally, FINALLY, it was time for the event we'd all been waiting for: the Jedi Training Academy. The signs were made, #s 3 & 4 had been coached in the proper jumping and yelling technique, and we were ready to kick some Sith behinds. We were also 30 minutes early. Tomorrowland Terrace was a ghost town. Not to be deterred, the kids parked themselves front and center behind the line, signs at the ready. I headed off to pick up some BTMRR fastpasses, having neglected to read that BTMRR wasn't offering fastpasses on that day. It turns out that the Times guide really does have some valuable information printed in it.

I returned to JTA to see that the crowds had begun to gather. More waiting...waiting...and then the music began playing, the announcer's voice came on, and the Jedi Master took the stage. He immediately began choosing children to participate – beginning with ours!! Unfortunately, we were all a little slow on the uptake, and by the time we realized they'd been called, the Jedi Master had moved on to the other side of the stage. We didn't know what to do. Should we still send them? What if we were wrong? What if it was too late? Oh, the pressure! Luckily, the Jedi Master took pity on the two pathetic creatures still jumping up and down with their signs and called them up again. Whew! (Editors note: The Jedi Master is HILARIOUS! He also speaks very quickly and with a lower tone, so he can be a little bit hard to understand at first. Pay close attention when he begins speaking, so that you won't feel like the village idiot when he has to call your children up to the stage twice.)

With light sabers in hand, it was time for the young padawans to begin their training. The Jedi Master first instructed them in the proper activation technique: push the button and swoosh. Twenty nine lightsabers swooshed out. #4's light saber was stuck. #4 scratched his head, shook his handle up and down, and...nothing. The Jedi assistant came over to help. She activated the lightsaber. #4 then couldn't figure out how to deactivate it. She gave him a new lightsaber.

Meanwhile, the rest of the young padawans had moved on to the fighting routine. #4 took the new saber, gave it a shake, and...nothing. The Jedi assistant came back and once again helped him with the activation. He swung it around a few times, deactivated it, and...once again couldn't get it to reactivate. Meanwhile, jokes were flying through the air at light speed as the Jedi master continued to coach his young trainees. Between the Jedi Master and our own little padawan flunkee, we were laughing hysterically the whole time. #4 finally managed to successfully deploy his weapon – one time.

And now it was time for Darth Vader to take the stage. He rose from the stage in a display of very dramatic mist and music, and tried to persuade the padawans to join him. Nice try, Vader, they'll never join you! But alas, Vader had brought back-ups. A very scary, very skillful Darth Maul joined him. (Editors note: Darth Maul fans should sit on the left hand side of the stage, as this is were he does all of his stalking and glaring.) The padawans were ready to fight!! #4 was put in Vader's line, while #3 was selected to take on Darth Maul, which she did in a very business-like and slightly terrified manner. It was #4's turn to take on Darth Vader. He bravely walked up to the Dark Lord, held out his lightsaber, and....nothing! He still couldn't activate it. He shook it, tried again, and...still nothing. The Jedi Master stepped in. “Dude, he's standing right there – we don't have time for this! Take mine!”

Take mine!”

With the Jedi Master's lightsaber in hand, #4 became a blur of motion as he ducked, posed, whirled, and completely disregarded all of the training he had received. He was a little Jedi fighting machine!

He also got the biggest cheers from the crowd (Mommy blushes with pride). Thank you, Jedi Master, for rescuing my poor clueless padawan and letting him have his moment of glory.

The fighting was over, the Sith lords retreated, and the padawans were presented with their diplomas. For all of us, the Jedi Training Academy was the highlight of our trip. We would definitely go to see it again, even if we didn't have any kids!
& fyi...her entire report is a feel good, funny & well written recap of a nice family who are visiting our little park for the first time.

It can be read here (& has lots of great pics, too):

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1817885

hound <---- loves reading reports about families (with kids) experiencing Walt's park for the first time.

Last edited by Hound 109; 06-01-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #34
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

DS did this during our trip. I must admit that I had no idea what to expect, but it was great! Even if you don't have kids who want to participate, it would be a fun way to take a food break and watch the action. The Jedi Master was just fantastic.
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #35
TheAXIOM
Too much garbage in your face? There's plenty of space out in space!

The Jedi Training Academy was SUCH a fun event to see.
Seeing all the little ones battle Darth Vader and use the force to stop the Storm Troopers...

Very entertaining.
Wish I was young enough to fight :/
TheAXIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #36
Grim_Grinning_Girl
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up Yes, signs help!

I went to Disneyland about 2 weeks ago, and we had 3 younger kids in our party ages: 3, 5, and 8. All 3 of them were chosen to participate in the Jedi Training academy in the same performance. Of course I planned ahead and made signs for them to hold up, the signs where of: an image of Darth Vader, image of a Stormtrooper, and an image of the Rebel Alliance symbol. I figured a simple & direct visual would work the best, rather than reading material for the Jedi since the selection process needs to be done quickly. And fortunately it worked . The Jedi called the kids based on the images on the signs, and in succession too, 1-2-3 .

Our group went nuts . We were hoping at least one of them would get picked, so we lost it when all 3 were selected, and in a row !
Grim_Grinning_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
carj
DIS Veteran

Great info

We went to WDW last summer and this was absolutely the highlight of the trip for my then 7 year old son.
We are going to DLR this summer and I will definitely make a sign! Thanks!
carj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #38
toni1227
Mouseketeer

Thanks HOUND!!! We went last week and my DS got picked! He had a bright blue shirt with a big number 73 on it and he jumped up and down and was at the rope. The guy called out #73!!!
We did make him a sign but he did not hold it up!!! I asked him why and he said that no one else was (but I told him well that was the point to get picked if he saw you waving a sign he would see you and pick you). But luckily he still was picked. That was his favorite thing at Disneyland. Glad I read your thread or I would not have not had a clue on how to get him picked.
toni1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #39
mrwinky
Mouseketeer

My youngest got picked when we were there in OCT.. What I had done was made an iron transfer of the picture of Mikey as Luke from the original Starwars (1977) movie poster... I then put text on it that said "I wanna be a Jedi in Training"... We put the shirt in our backpack and happened to be getting off nemo 15min before it started, so we sat down, front row, and my 5 y/o son was picked about 4 or 5th. I didnt notice anyone with signs. I think the key is to be at the front of the line in the ground they have .... I got some amazing shots of Darth maul point me out when he was walking down the aisle ( I was there taking photos there) he pointed at me and snarled... Quite an Amazing picture... And it was my sons Highlight of the whole trip... Infact that night he had to call grandma and Grandpa to tell them all about it

Winky
mrwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #40
caldisneyfan
Earning My Ears

Our DS has been picked everytime so far. Twice in 2007 and last year we only did it once. Last year he dressed as Anakin Skywalker and was picked in the first couple of Padawan learner's.
caldisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #41
MommyWithDreams
What has the Dis done to me? I'm addicted to CROCS?
we've hit single digits baby!

My son was picked twice on our trip the first week of this month. The first time was with a sign the second time was without. There are pictures of the first time he was chosen in my signature. I haven't gotten to the second time yet in my TR.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #42
magicallyDisney001
DIS Veteran

Just wondering, what is the difference between this Jedi Training Academy and the one at WDW?

Tumblr
"Nerdiness is not a state of being. It's a way of life."
The LORD is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear? Psalm 27:1

magicallyDisney001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #43
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Excellent thread & information on where to buy Jedi Light Sabers....& "Build you Own" Light Sabers.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190567

For the little padewan who must have it all.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #44
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

Go to Target and buy a red and white Star Wars Clone Trooper baseball cap (looks like a clone trooper helmet) in the boy's department.
DS 5 just got chosen by waving that hat around and another boy wearing the same hat got picked for that show! $7.99 and worth every penny!
Keeping track just for me: 7/7/14-15 APs days at DL: 4
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #45
mac_daddy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceindisneyland View Post
Go to Target and buy a red and white Star Wars Clone Trooper baseball cap (looks like a clone trooper helmet) in the boy's department.
DS 5 just got chosen by waving that hat around and another boy wearing the same hat got picked for that show! $7.99 and worth every penny!
Looks like this?

rebelscum.com
/2009/DSCN3714.jpg
mac_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: