Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #181
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRosie View Post
My DS(9) was picked to go on stage. He had a Star Wars shirt and sat in the front row, right in the middle. He was not jumping up and down a lot, but the SW shirt and location worked. We did notice that siblings with matching shirts (not even SW or Disney) were both picked. We went in early November so very low crowds, but about 60 kids there and only 20-30 were picked. I read about wearing the shirt and sitting on the blue line in these boards so THANK YOU all for those tips. It worked and made fabulous memories for him.
Congratulations!! That's amazing!!

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Pageants
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #182
starshine514
DIS Veteran

We got picked! I told my sister about JTA and she made my DD6 a little padawan (sp?) outfit. She looked so cute! We also made her a sign out of orange construction paper (Taller than YODA I am) and I instructed her to jump up and down. She was in the first row on the far right side, and at first I thought we had chosen a horrible location, since they started out choosing kids from the middle. But then they chose her! She got to fight Vader and it was the cutest thing ever. She wore her outfit the rest of the day (apparently it was more comfortable than the Snow White costume she was wearing earlier) and got lots of comments from CMs - apparently, a little girl in a jedi outfit is rare.

Thanks so much for all the tips! Seeing her participate was a trip highlight!
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #183
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
We got picked! I told my sister about JTA and she made my DD6 a little padawan (sp?) outfit. She looked so cute! We also made her a sign out of orange construction paper (Taller than YODA I am) and I instructed her to jump up and down. She was in the first row on the far right side, and at first I thought we had chosen a horrible location, since they started out choosing kids from the middle. But then they chose her! She got to fight Vader and it was the cutest thing ever. She wore her outfit the rest of the day (apparently it was more comfortable than the Snow White costume she was wearing earlier) and got lots of comments from CMs - apparently, a little girl in a jedi outfit is rare.

Thanks so much for all the tips! Seeing her participate was a trip highlight!
Awww. Very cute!!

WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #184
mamabean
Earning My Ears

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

This thread saved us totally!!
Our boys both wore Vader shirts, and we made them signs, and BOTH got picked!!!!

Here is a link to their pictures!!

Showing their Jedi FORCE!

****** We went to TWO shows, the first one the boys tried to get picked but it didn't happen! The second show I did the signs and BAM they got picked!!**
mamabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #185
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabean View Post
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

This thread saved us totally!!
Our boys both wore Vader shirts, and we made them signs, and BOTH got picked!!!!

Here is a link to their pictures!!

Showing their Jedi FORCE!

****** We went to TWO shows, the first one the boys tried to get picked but it didn't happen! The second show I did the signs and BAM they got picked!!**
Love the signs!! Congratulations on your boys getting picked!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #186
MiceFan
I like this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiceFan View Post
Thanks for the tips! We're going at the beginning of June and I'd really like to get my two + their cousin up there! Cousin #2 will be too young, but I'm making all 4 of them Jedi shirts right now. I'm thinking up ideas for signs too and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that my crafting is not in vain!!! Anyway, thanks for the tips and for validating that I'm not obsessed, or at least I'm not the only one who is, just because I want to give my kiddos the extra edge to get picked!
They got picked!!! We went to the first show of the day at 10:30, we arrived around 10:15 and it was already getting crowded. The first row was pretty full, we were in the second row but when the girl in front of them got picked, it opened up a hole and all 3 managed to be seen. It was mostly boys, with I'd say, about 120 kids in the crowd hoping to get picked.

Here they are right before with their signs and matching outfits. Our school had the Mickey die cut, but it would be easy to cut out yourself. They were neon colors and said, "The force is strong with this one," "Pick Me (on one ear) Jedi Master (on the other ear) You're my only hope (on the face,)" and the oldest just had "Darth Maul" with a slash line. I think there were 3 or 4 other kids with signs and they all got picked, one family had to cut their sign into 2 pieces, I think security made them do it on the way into the park. I had ours in the backpack and wasn't questioned at all, I was a little worried that the paint sticks wouldn't be allowed, but they were no problem.

We were all the way to the left facing the stage, in the 1st/2nd row. I told them to be sure to bounce and show those signs! They were the very last ones picked, the Jedi Master said, "To avoid any confusion, let's have all 3 in the white tank tops." I'm still in shock that all 3 of them got up there on the first try! My daughters ended up fighting Darth Vader and Darth Maul at the same time, not ideal for a mother trying to get good pics but pretty cool to a Star Wars fan. I ended up videoing both with a wide screen shot and I'm planning to get the close-up Photopass pics for each one. My niece is only 6 months older than my youngest DD and they are about the same size, but she ended up fighting Darth Maul with the big kids.

We handed our signs to a Canadian family that we had been chatting with before the show, I hope the signs brought them luck too.

Thank you so much for the tips, you helped make our trip unforgettable! My family grumbles about all the time and effort I put into planning our Disney trips, but when it all comes together, they see that it's worth it!

Always ready to go back.
8 trips to the World, a few to the Land & 1 Disney Cruise
Mary DH The kiddos!
MiceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #187
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

First off....to Mama Bean..... great update & great pics in your post above.

Thanks for sharing the info & the great memories. Your Padewans looked super pumped to do battle with the Darths.

& to MiceFan......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiceFan View Post
They got picked!!! We went to the first show of the day at 10:30, we arrived around 10:15 and it was already getting crowded. The first row was pretty full, we were in the second row but when the girl in front of them got picked, it opened up a hole and all 3 managed to be seen. It was mostly boys, with I'd say, about 120 kids in the crowd hoping to get picked.

Wow....120 kids. I wonder if Star Tours 2.0 is bringing more kids to this?

Here they are right before with their signs and matching outfits. Our school had the Mickey die cut, but it would be easy to cut out yourself. They were neon colors and said, "The force is strong with this one," "Pick Me (on one ear) Jedi Master (on the other ear) You're my only hope (on the face,)" and the oldest just had "Darth Maul" with a slash line. I think there were 3 or 4 other kids with signs and they all got picked, one family had to cut their sign into 2 pieces, I think security made them do it on the way into the park. I had ours in the backpack and wasn't questioned at all, I was a little worried that the paint sticks wouldn't be allowed, but they were no problem.

We were all the way to the left facing the stage, in the 1st/2nd row. I told them to be sure to bounce and show those signs! They were the very last ones picked, the Jedi Master said, "To avoid any confusion, let's have all 3 in the white tank tops." I'm still in shock that all 3 of them got up there on the first try! My daughters ended up fighting Darth Vader and Darth Maul at the same time, not ideal for a mother trying to get good pics but pretty cool to a Star Wars fan. I ended up videoing both with a wide screen shot and I'm planning to get the close-up Photopass pics for each one. My niece is only 6 months older than my youngest DD and they are about the same size, but she ended up fighting Darth Maul with the big kids.

We handed our signs to a Canadian family that we had been chatting with before the show, I hope the signs brought them luck too.

Thank you so much for the tips, you helped make our trip unforgettable! My family grumbles about all the time and effort I put into planning our Disney trips, but when it all comes together, they see that it's worth it!
Great story, great pictures MiceFan.

Glad to hear the tips were helpful & it sounds like the signs are still an effective tool....especially when crowded.

Thanks for the details & for sharing your experience.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #188
Bunnyfeather
Mouseketeer

My DD (5) got picked on Tuesday at the first show. She had a Leia shirt, but I think the Leia hair did it. Her stepmother made her these donuts out of socks and we threaded her pigtails through and around them. Very effective and flat-out adorable. When she got her turn to fight Vader, he said to the trainer "If you will not join me, perhaps she will." It has been almost a week and DD is still walking on air to have been Jedi trained.
Bunnyfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #189
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Awesome!!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #190
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the tips and tales! Keep 'em coming. I've been showing some posts to my 6yo for him to read and prepare. Guess the two non-matching SW shirts he and his 3yo brother have will not be enough to get them both up there? Maybe signs will overcome the non-matching shirts?

AJ
TigerlilyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #191
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't want to say it's a "guarantee," but waving a sign is...pretty much a guarantee.

We went to shows two days in a row, on August 9 and 10. One day we went in the morning and the next day in the afternoon.

I was there with five kids, and different combinations of the kids tried to do the show on different days (my seven-year-old son did it twice). Every one of them was picked. And in fact, the second day, the four kids with me were the first four kids picked, bam bam bam bam.

Each time, they were the only kids in the crowd with signs. I was shocked - it seems like such a no-brainer. The last time we were at DL was 2007, and Jedi training was still pretty new, and I wasn't surprised we were the only ones with signs. But, by now, I figured word would be out and lots of kids would have signs. Nope.

There were nowhere near 120 kids at our shows, I'll note. Probably half to two thirds of the kids waiting were chosen for each show.

It's still a lot of fun. Last time we tried it, at WDW this spring, my five-year-old bailed out when it was his turn to fight Darth vader. So he was thrilled that he stuck with it and really fought the big guy this time. And my seven year old, on his fourth try at DL, FINALLY got to fight Darth Maul (they don't have that option in Florida when we go). He was so excited!
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #192
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Wow!! Congratulations for those whose kids have been picked!!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #193
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

I haven't read the entirety of this thread but I've watched the JTA probably a dozen times to write a blog entry about it here. This is what I've witnessed:

*I have never seen a child with a sign not get picked. I think this is the single biggest factor.

*I have seen a lot of children wearing Star Wars clothes not get picked. Based on my observation, I don't think this offers much of an advantage. The sign is a much better bet.

*Dress siblings alike, even in white, and I would do that over having them wear non-matching Star Wars shirts. Sibling identifying signs are a big help.

*After a certain age, it is NOT an advantage to wear a Jedi robe or bring your own light saber. It's cute on the little ones but I have seen older kids (maybe 8 and up) in full regalia get passed up. They want kids who will be compliant with the fighting routine and instructions, and older kids in regalia will sometimes grandstand and put in their own moves, which they don't want for the safety of both the child and the cast members. It really depends who is doing the picking, but some CMs will deliberately overlook older children with their own light sabers. So that's not going to be a guarantee and may be a liability.

*Enthusiastic PARENTS can make a big difference too. They want a lot of crowd interaction and if parents are going nutso during selection they know there will be a lot of cheering during the battle scenes. That's why for kids who don't get spots in the front can still get chosen if Daddy is holding them up and jumping up and down and you're raising a ruckus with them.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #194
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

WDWJonasGirl, thank you for all of your recent (enthusiastic) posts. They should make you an honorary Jedi.

LoveTink.....excellent post. (I agree with all of your observations). Congratulations on getting all of your padewans chosen.

MyYearwiththeMouse.....fantastic blog & pics!! Thanks for posting. I also agree with your take on being picked. Good point regarding OLDER kids with their OWN sabres possibly not being picked. Also, good point about having siblings wear the SAME (bright) shirt to ensure both get picked.

Loved your blog.....may i post a link to it on my first page (in my first post)? & i agree with your "getting picked" in order of importance strategy:

Quote:
Here’s Shelby’s Guide to the Jedi Training Academy:

1.Bring a sign
2.Act enthusiastic, especially when it seems to die down a little. Jumping up and down really helps.
3.Enthusiastic parents seem to help. Hold your kid up if you’re in the back.
4.Wear a Star Wars shirt (no guarantee) or another brightly-colored, easily-identifiable shirt or hat
5.Dress your children the same if you have more than one (more than two I’d split into different groups)
6.Leave your own light saber at home

Thanks for all the posts guys.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #195
Hoku
Mouseketeer

I don't know if they always have the same routine, but my daughter and I watched this on YouTube to see if she wanted to do it. We found a video that showed the training part and we memorized it so she could practice at home. She turns 5 in December so she's still young. That's why we've been practicing this routine:

Left shoulder
Right shoulder
Left leg
DUCK
stand
Left leg
Right leg
Head

The routine is simple, but it goes fast and I've noticed from the videos that some of the younger kids struggle a little. This way, when DD gets picked, she'll be at her own advantage.
Hoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: