Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #151
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

My DD11 has been chosen 3 times so far to do the training. I think there was one time (maybe 2) when she wasn't chosen. She hasn't had a sign or been wearing any Jedi clothing. What she has done is keep jumping up and down the entire time they are picking kids, waving her hands around. Twice she was the last one chosen and I think it was because she was still jumping up and down til the very end. One of the PP we have befriended told us they want the high energy kids.

Last time she did it she was with her friend who hadn't done it before. She got chosen right away but my DD11 was the last one picked. I was so glad they got to do it together.

My tips are:
Go on a day that isn't going to be too busy and do the first show. (this worked for us the first time)
Have your child jump up and down and show lots of energy. That's what they are looking for.

So, if you don't have a sign, don't despair. Your DD or DS may still get chosen.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #152
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 626Mom View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the help! We were at Disneyland 12/26-12/30 among the crush of humanity. We followed the tips; showed up early, staked out a prime location (yes that concrete floor is COLD and HARD!)and had our signs made. My two boys were the first ones chosen and it was the highlight of our trip. Thank you everyone for the advice!
Quote:
from Colton's Mom: Colton got picked on our first attempt the first day. He would have loved to do it again but with the crowds i though it unfair for him to get picked twice when there were so many others who wanted to do it. After all thanks to DIS we were in the know! We did share signs with families that were obviously not on their first attempt. What a feel good moment when those children got picked too

626 Mom, Good to hear that the tips are still helpful.

Colton's Mom, Very Cool that you were able to share the signs with kiddos who where there for their second Jedi show. It's nice to spread the excitement of being picked by the Master Jedi to others. Well done.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #153
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

We just got back from going over Christmas and we did the 2nd or 3rd show of the day. We arrived about 20 minutes before show time and it was semi packed. My son was sporting his Oregon Duck sweatshirt and was picked 1st on our side and the second picked was wearing an Oregon Ducks shirt.

I will say we heard a lot of Go Ducks from CM's and guest alike. Heck we even had a parade member come over and say it.

So if your team is doing well or is well known it may be a benefit to sport your colors.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #154
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

My ds6 just did this last week. We did the first show on a slow day. He was wearing a Mickey shirt and was picked citing that. He was also very energetic.

I saw it mentioned in this thread earlier in passing, but if your child does Jedi Training if you go to the photo store on main street and tell them the date, time, and whether your child fought Vader or Maul, they will load the photos of your child onto a photopass card so you can include them on your CD. Or you can buy very expensive prints there if you don't want to buy the cd.
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #155
Amariel
Earning My Ears

We just did Jedi Training yesterday, and signs worked to get my two sons picked. I was a little nervous at first, as he was picking a bunch of kids without signs (there was another fairly large group of 5 or so kids with signs). But I told mine to keep jumping and waving their signs, and in the last pass he chose the other group of kids, and my two, so all the kids with signs were picked. I guess motivation to have them keep jumping and waving those signs! (And they loved the Jedi training!)
Amariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #156
brookies_mommy
I'm good on the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amariel View Post
We just did Jedi Training yesterday, and signs worked to get my two sons picked. I was a little nervous at first, as he was picking a bunch of kids without signs (there was another fairly large group of 5 or so kids with signs). But I told mine to keep jumping and waving their signs, and in the last pass he chose the other group of kids, and my two, so all the kids with signs were picked. I guess motivation to have them keep jumping and waving those signs! (And they loved the Jedi training!)
I guess I need to get busy making a sign.. any new suggestions?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #157
karelle
Earning My Ears

Just updating on our trip this past week. My son was picked on our first try (thank goodness!). He was wearing a bright yellow Star Wars shirt, and of course we brought a sign.

(Side note about the sign: when we went through the security check, the lady took the sign out and called over to another worker asking if that size was okay. It was fine, but apparently they had somone earlier that week bring in a bigger sign that they didn't allow...so keep that in mind when creating a sign! Ours was just printed on regular 8.5x11 paper and taped to foam board cut to that size.)

We were sitting on the left side (as you're facing the stage), and was the only one on our side with a sign. There was a family on the other side with two signs, one for each of their kids. My son wasn't the first picked, but was picked fairly quickly in the process. We then gave the sign to another little boy who was trying to get picked, but it was too late, and he didn't get chosen.

My son was the first to fight Darth Vader though (somehow he must have weaseled his way up to the front when they had them all gather off stage on the right side). He was kind of disappointed after the fact because he didn't get to "fight" Vader, he only got to "train" with him. I'm pretty sure he was expecting an epic battle of some sort!

Some pictures of my little padawan:

Here is is, trying to shake things up a bit. The look on the Jedi Master was priceless!

Oh, and our sign. I know I was looking for some inspiration and couldn't really find anyone's signs...so hope this helps someone. I think most are handwritten. I made ours in Photoshop, and it wasn't until we got to Disneyland I started worrying about the potential copyright infringement at using a Disney/Lucas owned image...but apparently it was okay.
karelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #158
disneyfan4ever54
DIS Veteran

Great pics! Your DS is so cute and it looks like he had a lot of fun! I'm glad it all worked out for you!
disneyfan4ever54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #159
Go Mickey
Earning My Ears

So loving this thread, going in October and I really want my 7yo to do this. He's always battling with this "light sabers" at home. I really think he would get a kick out of this =) Thanks for all the info.
Go Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #160
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Thanks for sharing your experience Karelle.

Great pics....I especially like the second pic. You could do a caption over your DS who's pointing at Vader & appears to be saying:

"Dude....you're going down!! "

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

Old 03-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #161
goldies 5
DIS Veteran

We found Hound 109's tips helpful. This past December we had both our 6 and 8 year old in Star Wars costumes, got both picked the very first time. It awesome.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #162
JacknHanksmom
Earning My Ears

I've pretty much memorized this very helpful thread (thank you all)!

I feel like I know how to help my 6 year old Jedi get picked, but I'm wondering how hard it is to get into the show in the first place.

A friend was there over Spring Break and said they waited an hour to see it, but then, that was Spring Break.

We'll be there May 4, 5, & 6, which should be slow.

May 4th we'll be arriving mid-morning/early afternoon. I'm wondering if we should head right there to give it a try, or if we're better off waiting till the next day. I'm also wondering where to fit a show in the general plan of the day....after mm but before DCA? Or just before leaving the park for lunch? or early evening? If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Totally possible I'm over thinking the whole thing, but this is our #1 dl priority.
JacknHanksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #163
Hound 109

He'll get picked.....especially if he follows the many tips.

Other comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknHanksmom View Post
I've pretty much memorized this very helpful thread (thank you all)!

I feel like I know how to help my 6 year old Jedi get picked, but I'm wondering how hard it is to get into the show in the first place.

Just get there 10-15 min. prior to a session. Have kiddo snag a seat up front (you should stand behind the kids) & don't let late arrivals scooch him out of his position.

A friend was there over Spring Break and said they waited an hour to see it, but then, that was Spring Break.

It'll likely be slow when you go....no worries.

We'll be there May 4, 5, & 6, which should be slow.

May 4th we'll be arriving mid-morning/early afternoon. I'm wondering if we should head right there to give it a try, or if we're better off waiting till the next day.

I would (after picking up FPs at Indy or SM). But if not....do it the next day.

I'm also wondering where to fit a show in the general plan of the day....after mm but before DCA? Or just before leaving the park for lunch?

If DL opens later (in the morning), i wouldn't do it first thing, (imo, the first 2 hours at DL should be spent riding slow loading rides like in FL & picking up 2-3 FPs for later)....I'd probably do it just before leaving the park for lunch or in the afternoon. But if DL opens at 8am, then i'd do the first show.

or early evening? If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Totally possible I'm over thinking the whole thing, but this is our #1 dl priority.
I'd do it afternoon or late morning (given DL will have short hours). Good luck to your little padewan.

Also.....I wanted to post a link to a recent thread with some great pictures:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2709752

Check out DisneyDaz's post (in this linked thread) with a dozen or more fantastic pictures of JTA.

Last edited by Hound 109; 04-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #164
marlyjuice
Malvine

Hi!

I am STARWARS Fan an d I have a Question. Ist it possible for me to play in this attraction? Or am I too old?
marlyjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #165
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlyjuice View Post
Hi!

I am STARWARS Fan an d I have a Question. Ist it possible for me to play in this attraction? Or am I too old?
The Jedi Training Academy is really for children up tp 12 years in age. After that one is too old.
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: