Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Inspired by which view at Grand Californian hotel thread.

I'm staying at the Grand Californian hotel at the end of July. I booked a standard room. I know I can pay for an upgrade, but don't want to bother. However, when my family and I check in I'm going to ask if we can be upgraded to a theme park or DTD view for free. My question is, what do you think the chances are of them saying yes? I know people have been upgraded at no additional charge, I'm just not sure how often they allow it.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
GailT
I'm ba-ack!!!!
I'm so bad I'm good
Loves pea soup

I always pay for the view I want because I never have luck in DW or DL but in September I am getting a standard room, hopping they will have so many rooms open because of school in session that they migh do it for me, if not oh well but what a thrill it would be to get upgraded
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
DangerMouse
Dangerously Addicted to Disneyland
I guess they saw me coming at full throttle and decided I meant business
I'm in a bit of an evil mood today

My thought is that it may be more difficult to get an upgrade when you are going b/c it's peak summer season and many of the resort hotels will be sold out. You can still ask, but don't count on it.

DLR trips: 3/98 (Stovalls); 12/99 (Islander); 12/02 (DI); 12/03 (DI); 12/04 (Portofino); 4/05 (HoJo); 6/05 (GCH); 9/05 (HoJo); 12/05 (HoJo); 2/06 (DLH); 1/07 (HoJo); 11/07 (HoJo); 2/08 (HoJo); 4/08 (HoJo); 6/08 (Ramada Ltd.); 10/08 (PPH); 3/09 (HoJo & Club 33 Baybee!); 2/10 (HoJo); 12/11 (HoJo/DLH)
WDW Trips: 4/11 (SSR Villas) 1/13 (POR)
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Disnee
Earning My Ears

When we checked in last November, we lucked out and didn't even have to ask - the guy checking us in just said "..and I have some good news for you!". We were upgraded to an incredible theme park view, and it really spoiled us - so much so that when we go back THIS November, we're likely going to book the theme park view just to be certain we get it.

My advice is - book it if you REALLY want it, as that's the only way to guarantee anything. But, if you want to take your chances, it never hurts to ask (and maybe you'll just be surprised like we were!).
Disnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
JenDisneylandlver
DIS Veteran

We were upgraded for free last July at the DLH to a pool view. I was pretty surprised, I figured it wouldn't happen in busy July. It's always possible, but I sure wouldn't count on it!
JenDisneylandlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
pittypat
Mouseketeer

Having just returned from there, I'd be a little wary of asking for a Downtown Disney view. The rooms are very quiet, but DD is very noisy and I don't know if the rooms would be noisy or not. We had a partial view of DCA and enjoyed that, but-honestly-I would not have cared what our view was. The landscaping is beautiful throughout the hotel, so no matter what "view" you get, I think you'll be pleased.
Disney Trips: 1977 WDW (offsite), 1982 WDW (offsite), 1988 DL (DLR), 1991 WDW (CBR), 1997 DL (DLR), 1998 WDW (POR), 2000 DL (DLR), 2004 DL (DLR), 2007 DL (GCA), 2010 DL (DLR), 2010 DL (GCA), 2011 WDW (CR-BLT), 2012 DL (GCA), 2013 DL (GCA), 2013 WDW (WL)
pittypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
PrincessIM
Mouseketeer

We had booked a standard view room at Paradise Pier and upon check in they surprised us with a park view without having to ask. As soon as we were all awake, I'd whip open those curtains for the amazing view. Definately made our day! If you don't care, I'd take the chance. It doesn't hurt to ask.
PrincessIM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: