Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #136
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1111 View Post
The cool kids are all coming to my report - now I'm nervous!
Hey I've just realised, are you saying I'm not cool because I've been here ages
Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #137
Disneyolic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
That's the way I interpreted it!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #138
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Day 3, Epcot morning

The next day we again woke bright and early - alarm at 7:00. (Trust me, I don't like 7:00 a.m., either - there are many reasons that Dr. Belle & I lived together well, but that's one of them. )

The boys again ate breakfast on the balcony, with this guy "joining" us for the meal.

We were all dressed and ready to go by 8:20, and the bus arrived at 8:28. (I was starting to note all this stuff! I wore a watch for the first time in a year, probably.)

The bus arrived at Epcot at 8:40, and we were allowed to go on in, up to the fountain between the Innoventions buildings. D. positioned himself to the right, with all our tickets, to get FPs for Soarin'. The boys and I went to the left, and we were all planning to meet at Test Track once D. had the FPs. We watched the little opening number and skedaddled over past Mouse Gears.

The boys played in the little pop fountain "cool" area out in front of TT while we waited for D. He arrived pretty quickly, with FPs for 10:00, and we were in a 10 min. standby line for TT! We hopped right on and we all LOVED it.

We then walked over to Mission:Space. This is another 44" height requirement. Woody had gotten on Space Mountain with no one questioning him. We told him that it was possible he wasn't big enough, but didn't really have a plan if it came down to it. I don't know if it was because it was early or if the CM's are just more careful at M:S, but they checked him out. He had been wearing his Mickey ears, but the CM had him take them off, of course. He barely fit under the measuring stick, but they were able to pass a ride card (one of those things they give you to specify the Green or Orange side) above his head, so they denied him.

He is shorter, but generally more adventursome than Buzz. This devastated him. He started crying. Buzz was asking why just he and I couldn't go, and Woody was protesting that "It's not fair!"

D. pulled Woody aside and assured him that we'd try again later, or that he would do something cool with him if Buzz and I had to go alone. But, since he was in such a state, we ended up leaving the area rather than any of us doing the ride at that point.

The four of us walked back across the middle of the park, toward the Land.

I am SO not familiar with Epcot. Dr. Belle may correct me, but the one time I was there was with her in 2000, and we did spend a day at Epcot, but in my memory it was almost all in the WS rather than FW. I loved the WS then, but had next to no memory of FW.

Anyway, we entered The Land, which I don't remember having been in before. We still had about a half hour before our FP for Soarin', so we jumped onto Living with the Land with no wait at all. It was pretty interesting to me - my dad is a grain farmer in IL, and both my parents are very into gardening, so it was kind of neat to see. The boys liked seeing the big fruits and veggies, and the hanging plants and so forth.

When we were done with that, it was time for Soarin'. There was little line in the FP return, and we were on very quickly. We ended up in the second "glider" but the feet in front of me didn't bug me at all! What a great ride! Everyone liked it. The boys were particularly interested in seeing Disneyland, go figure.

We decided against seeing Circle of Life, and headed instead over to The Seas with Nemo. We walked onto the ride. I was not exactly impressed. We didn't see a lot of marine life, which I am sure is just luck of the draw, and it was kind of cute to see the Nemo characters, but it wasn't that great to D. or I.

When we got off the ride, we headed upstairs to the observation level and watched some dolphins and such. D. & I probably would have stayed there longer, but the boys were ready to move on. We went back downstairs and got in the wait for Turtle Talk. I think we must have just missed a show, as we had a 15 minute wait. But, the kids, knowing that we were seeing something neat, were amused enough with the aquarium displays in the waiting area there. Woody was starting to break down a little, but sucked it up.

We REALLY enjoyed Turtle Talk! The kids sat up front, but didn't get any questions. Crush called on a kid in front of Buzz, wearing a similar shirt, I guess, and we heard Buzz give his name, but another kid actually had the mike... Oh well. The gentleman sitting next to me must have been some kind of marine biologist as he was answering all the questions, quite loudly, and making comments... It was a little odd behavior for an adult, but hey. He was enjoying himself!

It was getting close to lunch time at this point, so we decided to go on over to the World Showcase, which should have just opened. I had made 5:30 ADRs for dinner, so an early lunch seemed like a good idea. We walked out of The Seas, and the line was all the way out to the sidewalk that leads back to the Innoventions buildings and across the park! Once again, having followed the UOG plan seems to have saved us!

I don't think I mentioned that this was an evening EMH day for Epcot. The park really did seem crowded, which was odd. I know that the UOG website, for example, usually picks Epcot for holidays and such, as if it IS crowded, it's big enough to handle it. But, if I learned something from this day, it was to avoid evening EMH parks at all costs if you're not going to stay up late. Sunday night had been crowded for us at MK, and now this line! We avoided it, but it's hard to recommend it...

Sorry there aren't more pictures, but since we WERE more or less walking on to rides and such, I guess we didn't or couldn't stop long enough to take them!

Next up, lunch and our afternoon!

Last edited by cmp1111; 06-11-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Calling Innoventions by the wrong name!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #139
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Of course not! I consider you the leader, since you were here first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyolic View Post
Hey, DM, are you TRYING to get me in trouble???
Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #140
Disneyolic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Of course not! I consider you the leader, since you were here first!

Hey, DM, are you TRYING to get me in trouble???
Jo may be the leader but I'm in the Cool Kid Club!

Now, when have I been known to start trouble?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #141
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Quote:
We were all dressed and ready to go by 8:20, and the bus arrived at 8:28.
I love how exact you are and that you can remember

Quote:
but they were able to pass a ride card (one of those things they give you to specify the Green or Orange side) above his head, so they denied him.
Oh no poor little thing

Quote:
We decided against seeing Circle of Life,
We've never done it either

Quote:
The gentleman sitting next to me must have been some kind of marine biologist as he was answering all the questions, quite loudly, and making comments... It was a little odd behavior for an adult, but hey. He was enjoying himself!

Quote:
avoid evening EMH parks at all costs if you're not going to stay up late.
That is the biggest thing we learnt as soon as we avoided them the parks were so much quieter

Quote:
Once again, having followed the UOG plan seems to have saved us!
Oh good

Quote:
Of course not! I consider you the leader, since you were here first!:

Quote:
Now, when have I been known to start trouble?
Never
Old 06-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #142
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

Quote:

Quote:
Me, too!

Quote:
Jo may be the leader but I'm in the Cool Kid Club!
Yeah, I much prefer to be a cool kid than a leader! LY,MI Jo!

Great installment, CE. You guys really stayed ahead of the pack! Too bad Woody didn't get to ride M:S. Hopefully you tried back later!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #143
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is the biggest thing we learnt as soon as we avoided them the parks were so much quieter
I had kind of noted them before we showed up, but didn't realize the difference it would make - and with the little kids, it didn't help us at all. Live and learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_Mama View Post
Great installment, CE. You guys really stayed ahead of the pack! Too bad Woody didn't get to ride M:S. Hopefully you tried back later!
Thanks. I kept hemming and hawing about using your "good friend" TGM and I'm sure his plans are just as good, but we were so pleased with how things went when we followed "the plan". The second try for M:S comes up later!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #144
Disneyolic
DIS Veteran

Okay...now you have me worried about EMH late nights. I have some parks planned for late EMH but probably will not be staying that late. We don't have park hoppers so we are just going to have to grin and bare it! Guess you'll all find out on my TR later how it went...

BTW, we have never done the Lion King show in the Land pavillion either. Probably won't...
Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #145
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

great report and pics.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #146
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay...now you have me worried about EMH late nights. I have some parks planned for late EMH but probably will not be staying that late. We don't have park hoppers so we are just going to have to grin and bare it! Guess you'll all find out on my TR later how it went...

BTW, we have never done the Lion King show in the Land pavillion either. Probably won't...
It wasn't that horrible, it was just noticeably more crowded at Epcot on Tuesday than it was at MK on Memorial Day. If you have some sort of touring plan, you'll be fine. We did get to go on a couple of extra rides at Epcot because of the EMH, we just didn't stay until close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
great report and pics.
Thanks, and thanks for reading!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #147
csuzannet
Mouseketeer

Hmmm. What was in FW in 2000?

I'm sure C.E.'s right that on her last tour through Epcot that we cruised through FW pretty quickly. As her fearless guide, I was trying to squeeze four parks into 2 3/4 days. Also, I seem to remember that it rained so we missed the Tapestry of Dreams parade-thingie and so we probably also missed Test Track.

But I'm trying to identify what's changed in FW since then. Obviously Soarin' and Turtle Talk are new. Was Mission Space there yet? And which version of the Figment ride would have been at the Kodak pavilion?

Not trying to hijack your report, but maybe somebody's memory is better than mine, and we can prompt you on what you've forgotten since 2000.

You know, while you were busy getting married and moving and raising twins!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #148
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

Day 3, Still at Epcot!

One of the things I wish I'd done more of was to get and take with me the QS restaurant menus. We did fine at the TS restaurants with the DDP and the kids' meals, but some of the quick serves have very little choices for kids, and of course, using the DDP you have to get kids' meals for kids.

I had cut out of the UOG a little chart of Epcot's QS restaurants, but that chart didn't always say what the kid choices were. My kids are good eaters and usually fairly adventurous, but I didn't want a big to-do. We figured that, since their favorite restaurant here is a Mexican place, we'd try the Cantina in Mexico for lunch.

There wasn't too much of a line, but the kid's choice was a chicken quesadilla. Buzz likes tacos, Woody is not always so thrilled with chicken in his quesadillas, though it's his staple for Mexican. Buzz got very stubborn, and so I ended up ordering him the Tacos al Carbon from the regular menu, and I ate a kids' quesadilla. The tacos were actually big enough that I got some of them, too. D. ordered the taco salad type thing, and then with the DDP we also all got a churro.

Luckily, of course, there was beer, so D. & I also ordered ourselves a cold one. We were able to get a table around the back of the restaurant by the lagoon, in the shade, which was great. Whilst sitting, I couldn't help but overhear the family behind us. The dad was pointing out the American section, across the lagoon, and pointed out the big hall. He said, "That's where there's a statue of every president!" My back was turned to them, but D., also overhearing, looked at me confusedly. I gave a tiny little shake of my head, and felt slightly superior for having better knowledge. Sad, I know.

We still had thoughts of trying Mission:Space again, but since we were there, decided to go ahead and do the new ride in Mexico. We walked right on - there were maybe 3 people ahead of us. It was cute and harmless. The boys liked Donald Duck.

Someone needed a potty stop - may have even been me, post-beer , so we wandered over to Norway and used their restrooms. We were there, so decided to do Maelstrom as well. The line was actually a little bit long, and that queue is just slightly boring, loud, and hot, even indoors. But, again, the ride was fine, and that was that. They weren't showing the movie that day, so off we went.

We decided to try to get some FPs in order to do Test Track again, so we headed back to Future World. Sadly, it was about 2:15, and they were out of FP for the day! The stand by line was about an hour, so we wandered back across FW to try "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience".

My kids haven't seen any of those movies - it's been since it was in the theatre that I saw even the first one myself - and so they didn't know what to expect. The line to get into the preshow wasn't long at all. We watched the preshow, D. & I making fun of the schmaltz the whole time, and then filed on into the theatre. Using my good DIS tips, I let a bunch of people go first so that we were right in the middle of a row.

We got these pictures while waiting for the show to start, and once again, I have to comment that I need to learn to sit up straight! Sigh.

We're so cool in our glasses...

The show started, and Buzz completely freaked out when the mice/cat thing went on, started crying, and wouldn't put his glasses back on the whole show. Whooops.

That was therefore a bust - Woody was OK but said he didn't like it that much - and so we sat outside at the jumping fountains for a bit to try to settle down. Buzz tends to get very quiet when he gets sad, upset, tired... He'll close his eyes, won't talk, or will say, "I need a rest." We were all kind of hot and ready to move on, so it took some fancy talking to get him going again.

The thing he most wanted to do next was Spaceship Earth, so we did. No wait, of course. D. actually fell asleep. The boys weren't too impressed, but they needed something nice an easy, and inside again. It had gotten pretty hot.

We went back to go ahead and try to get FPs for Mission:Space for at least some of us to do later. We were successful with about an hour until the return time, so we went to Ellen's Universe of Energy. We had to wait outside for about 5-10 minutes, then were in the preshow.

D. & I really liked this! I'm sure most of the joking and "plot" went beyond the kids, but they thought it was cool when the actual film/ride got going, and it's a nice long air conditioned deal, so we were all happy. D. & I thought it was really clever and well done. Two thumbs up from us.

It was now time to return to Mission:Space. We got past the "Orange or Green" CM with no questions. We chose Green, which isn't too surprising. The FP line was actually possibly nearly as long as the Green stand by, but oh well. We were right there, when the guys loading us on said to Woody, "Hey, can I check your height, buddy?"

Da, da, dum...

He was wearing his Power Rangers baseball cap rather than the Mickey ears, and...

He passed! The guys hesitated a minute, but decided to be generous, I think. The whole stand by line applauded for him.

Hooray!

We got to our mission. The boys were SO funny. They listened to the assignments, standing up super-straight, nearly saluting. They felt very important, you could tell.

They could barely reach the buttons inside our rocket, but they did fine. The Green side doesn't seem any worse to me than Star Tours, say, so I'm not sure about the reason for the height requirement anyway, at least for that side. Anyone?

At any rate, after waiting so long during the day for it, they did really well and really enjoyed it, and were sure that they were actually in control, which was fun. Disney magic, baby!

It was about 4:40 or so when that was all said and done, so we decided to take a Friendship Boat over to the WS and wander a bit before our ADR. For whatever reason, I totally spaced the fact that there are 4 ports, rather than just 2, so we got on by Mexico and were dropped off in Italy, rather than Morocco - which was where we needed to be. No problem, though, we just caught a boat and had plenty of time.

My favorite thing about Epcot in 2000 was the shopping and just general "poking around" in the countries in WS. Five year old boys, however, have no interest in this, at least the ones I know. We really ended up walking right over to Morocco (I'm having that feeling that you get when you type a word over and over and it starts to look funny and you think you're spelling it wrong... You know the one. I checked, and I'm spelling it right!)

So, we ended up being about 15 minutes early for our ADR for Restaurant Marrakesh, but we were seated immediately, right next to the dance floor.

I had picked Marrakesh because it's not something we have a lot of around here, D. & I like exotic foods (so to speak) and the boys love couscous.

D. got a Casa beer, and I ordered a Tangier Breeze. It was a fruity, yummy concoction! Couldn't tell you what was in it, but it was GOOD and went down fast.

D. & I decided on the "Royal Feast" which included soup, three kinds of entrees, and a dessert sampler, which was fine on the DDP. We thought that it was one of those meals that would come more "family style" and they would put as much on the platter as the number of people ordering it. The soup came and was super delicious, and we shared the beef brewat rolls with the boys, who like them a lot. The entrees came, however, it came out as individual plates. Oh well. It was still a good way to try several things - roast lamb, veggie couscous, and a lemon chicken. It was all VERY tasty, though not terribly exotic in the long run.

Woody had stayed pretty "boring" and had the chicken tenders. Buzz got the veggie couscous and was particularly fond of the chick peas that were in it.

I had breezed through my first drink and did order another of the same. We were eating our entrees when the band and belly dancer appeared. The boys were totally entranced, quit eating, and just watched and clapped along. It starts early, I guess.

The boys both picked ice cream for dessert (not sure they had a choice, but for Buzz the non-chocolate eater, it was perfect that it was just vanilla), and the adult Feasts had come with a sampler. The sampler plate was the little pastries, and, as expected, were pretty full of nuts. I am not allergic, but am not a big fan of nuts, so D. ended up eating most of both plates.

We were out of the restaurant a bit before 7:00. D. got this picture of the boys and I, just to show Morocco.

There was a closer picture, but it didn't have DLMama/Utahmama's helpful hint of strategically placing the children, so I'm showing this one. Tracy, this is what the Bagallini does for the chestal region...

I have to go shower, so I'm going to break here for now. Up next, EMH bands, a few more rides, and getting lost!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #149
WDWHeather
I'd much rather have IASW in my head
Well, I think we should all be proud of ourselves
I aspire to be a DISperate Housewife

Whoa! Sounds like you guys did tons that day at Epcot!

I've always been scared to try the restaurant in Morocco, but now hearing it was tasty, I'd be willing to give it a try. It sounds great!

I'm glad you liked Ellen's Energy Adventure. We like it too... if we need a nap.

Isn't it amazing how fast those Test Track FPs disappear?! I can never believe that when I see it!
August 1993: Treehouses May 2002: Fort Wilderness Cabins May 2003: All Star Music November 2003: Port Orleans Riverside July 2004: Pop Century May 2005: Pop Century June 2006: Swan & Dolphin and Caribbean Beach Resort May 2007: Pop Century May 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa May 2009: Old Key West May 2010: Caribbean Beach Resort March 2013: Yacht Club Resort
Team Focker Watch
"PB" - PROUD MEMBER OF THE GUTTER CHICS.........
Old 06-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #150
Disneyolic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One of the things I wish I'd done more of was to get and take with me the QS restaurant menus. We did fine at the TS restaurants with the DDP and the kids' meals, but some of the quick serves have very little choices for kids, and of course, using the DDP you have to get kids' meals for kids.
That's why I made sure to print out menus from All Ears so we can have an idea beforehand.

Quote:
We were there, so decided to do Maelstrom as well. The line was actually a little bit long, and that queue is just slightly boring, loud, and hot, even indoors. But, again, the ride was fine, and that was that. They weren't showing the movie that day, so off we went.
I love this ride. It's too short but I think it's great. We always skip the movie at the end anyhow - just walk on through! Once we went on it 3x in a row and that was so much fun.

Sounds like a good day...looking forward to more!

Quote:
Using my good DIS tips, I let a bunch of people go first so that we were right in the middle of a row.
Glad to know you are not one of those people that just plop themselves down in the middle no matter what. I try to really step on their feet. Someone cursed at me for doing that once but I just laughed at him.

Quote:
He passed! The guys hesitated a minute, but decided to be generous, I think. The whole stand by line applauded for him.
Congrats! I loved it when Alec was finally big enough.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: