Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Sydney2
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up May 12th 2007 Trans Atlantic Cruise

Hi everyone,

First off I would like to thank everyone I met on board the Disney Magic from this board. I did not know it existed before this trip. So thanks for the invite. Especially to owensmommy (I hope I remember that correctly) for all the advice and info you shared with us our first days on board. It was great to meet you and your family.

Well here goes..... This was not our first trip to Europe nor our first med cruise, but it was our first experience on board the Disney Cruise Line. We started our cruise out on a positive note as our family was chosen as the first family to board the Disney Magic for this voyage. My husband and twin girls were thrilled and that was a magical experience for us.

We stayed on deck 8 as category 4 passengers. The room suited our needs fine and even though we were disappointed not to be able to pay for an upgrate to a cat 3 everything worked out fine. As first time cruisers with Disney we were unaware that to get cat 2 or 3 waaayyyyy in advanced booking is required. The only problem we had with our stateroom was that for 5 days in a row started at approximately 6:30 am we were awoken by a loud banging noise. It sounded like someone hammering pipes. After a couple of days with no let up I finally complained as it was waking up very tired children really early. They were very apologetic but it took about two days more before the problem was resolved. Other than that the stateroom and up keep were fine.

The food was okay I did not have any specific complaints about the dining rooms. I cannot eat fish or seafood due to an allergy therefore my choices were limited. My husband did enjoy the seafood items. We sat at table 70 and were in the LAP rotation. Our head server and assistant server were great. Very friendly, helpful and always made sure that myself and the kids were happy and fed. The only complaint I had was about late night eating, I found those choices very limited and the room service was okay. I ordered the pizza from room service one night and I am not completely sure but I think it was from the Pizza service station by Goofy's pool. Oh well no one went hungry.

The shows. We loved The Golden Mickeys, Twice Charmed: An Original Twist on the Cinderella Story, Boyz2Men, Disney Magic Crew Talent Show, and Disney Dreams an Enchanted Classic. All of these were really well done and enjoyed by myself, husband and the girls. Well done!

The weather for the 6 days at sea was very variable. We had a few really cool, windy and rocky days where we stayed mostly in the stateroom and wandered the ship. No one got sea sick but they were rough days. I did manage to grab a tan while on board so it was all good. Once we entered the first port the weather improved and all the ups and downs of the ship were forgotten for us anyway. The pools were very nice and the kids thoroughly enjoyed both equally. The last day at sea which was a great weather day, both Mickey's pool and Goofy's pool had to be closed due to pool foulings. The kids were disappointed but headed to the club for a few hours of play while the cleaning of the pools took place. Not even Disney Magic can control everything LOL.

The ports we enjoyed. We did a couple of scheduled Disney tours without the children which were good. In Cadiz and Barcelona we did the double decker bus hop on hop off tours. These were great for the kids because we could keep moving around and still see alot of each port. Gibralter was our girls favourite spot, they loved the monkeys on the Rock, as did we. Seeing Africa was incredible, something we will not soon forget. No complaints about any of the ports of call, we enjoyed something different in each one. Getting on and off the ship also came without any difficulties.

Overall I would say we had a good experience with Disney for first timers and would return. I know I have not covered everything, this is the first trip report I have ever written so if anyone has any questions please do not hesistate to ask me. I would be glad to answer any you have.
Sydney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Babs417
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a good time. Good job on your report thanks!
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
AuntyBrat
I am old and I am mean...Which part of this did you not understand?

Nice report, and yeah, those cat 3 and aboves are hard to get. Glad you enjoyed your first Disney Cruise.

Friend of Ivanova, Cruisemate of Jeannine, Miranda's Mean Old Mom, Costume Mom for RHS

I can't believe I am going to Europe with Disney!!!

And, yes I am Bringing the Magic back to California!!!

AuntyBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
ejw
Mouseketeer

could you please tell us which disney excursions you did and if you would recommend them?
ejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Sydney2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw View Post
could you please tell us which disney excursions you did and if you would recommend them?

Sure. In Tenerife we did the Tenerife Wine Experience. To our surprise we really enjoyed this, especially the second winery. It was a beautiful winery with GREAT tapas.

In Cadiz we did the double decker bus tour all around the city (on our own) with the kids. In the afternoon we did the Disney tour of Flamenco in Puerto de Santa Maria. Here we again had tapas and tasted their Sherry. I did not care for the Sherry at all but we did see a really good Flamenco dance performance. This was interesting but I wouldn't do it again. We should have stuck with doing the city on our own. If you like to do scheduled tours it was nice.

In Barcelona we booked Barcelona and Tapas however we did not attend the tour. We chose to do Barcelona on our own and again enjoyed the double decker hop on hop off bus ride with another family we met on board. On our own we were able to see many of the sites being offered on all of the Disney tours. Plus it was fun to go at our own pace especially with the kids.

In Gibralter we also ventured out on our own, which was much more economical and very easy to do as it is such a small port. This was a great port and the kids also enjoyed it very much.

I hope this is helpful, really you can do any of these ports on your own if you choose. We really should have not booked the Barcelona tour as we did loose our money - no refunds. I booked a little too soon before doing more research on how to get around the city, it was easy to navigate.
Sydney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #7
ejw
Mouseketeer

thanks for the info on the excursions. it does help.
ejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Dreamer04

Little Stinker
I love Trading Spaces

Thanks for the trip report, I enjoyed it very much.

Welcome to the DIS!!! Be careful...this is addicting.

But most of all....

A dream is a wish your heart makes
Dreamer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #9
LiseG
DIS Veteran

Thank you. Nice report. We're looking at the TA WB May 2011.

How old were your girls at the time of the trip? Did they like the Oceaneers Club/Lab? Was the Navigator full of things to do during the days at sea? Have you done this long a cruise before? We keep finding 7 days is too short.

Thanks

Lise

Magic 4-Day Cozumel only - Sept 2004 (Booked as 7-Day Eastern - Thanks Hurricane Francis)
Magic 7-Day Semi-Western - Sept 2005 (Booked Eastern again - went West due to Hurricane Rita)
Magic 7-Day Eastern - Halloween 2006 (Finally made it to Eastern!)
Magic 7-Day Western - Sept 2009 (Ms. Mary's Wedding)
Wonder 7-Day Pacific Coast PIXAR - Sept 2012
LiseG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: