Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
AmberI
Mouseketeer

Well I'll be ther the 3rd and 4th week of sept so maybe i'll get lucky and not see to many
AmberI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #17
MandM-Mom
DIS Veteran

What part of september do they usually arrive? I have a 3 year old who is terrified of bugs, this could be an interesting vacation. I am sure we will have some stories to tell about her reactions to them.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM-Mom View Post
What part of september do they usually arrive? I have a 3 year old who is terrified of bugs, this could be an interesting vacation. I am sure we will have some stories to tell about her reactions to them.
Iwould like to know what weeks of sept also. I went the first week of Oct 2 yrs ago and I don't think I saw any. We are going the last week of sept this year and I hope they are almost over.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #19
happy2go2wdwmom
I love that great song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
The Love Bugs are particularly bad this year....and they are here late.

Love bugs usually arrive in May and September. They are usually gone by now.

They are bad enough that the Florida Highway patrol is issuing safety warnings for drivers on 95, the FL Turnpike and 75......ESPECIALLY if you are on a motorcycle.

There is some sort of folklore that if you have a lot of love bugs, you wont have hurricanes...or you will have hurricanes....or you'll kill two birds in a bush with one rock. I wasn't really paying attention in folklore class.

They should be gone soon....just in time for hurricane season.....which will be lighter or heavier this year.

Kevin
I heard that Disney has been partnering with a university to find ways to train their World Showcase Seagulls to eat all of those lovebugs!
70's Fav ride 20,000 Leagues UTS; '03 June AKL-DF,DFH,DFS(4),DFS(5),MeDH, DS(4);'04 June HOJO'S Enchantedland-DH, DS(5), DSis (Eyeore) to WDW, Universal, SeaWorld; May '05 ASMo DDP--"OUR PERFECT DREAM COME TRUE VACATION" DH, DS(6); May '07 DDP-POP! w/ DH and DS(8)-SeaWorld;May '08 Free upgrade to CBR and PPP; April '09 Disney Wonder then Universal for SPRING BREAK-DH, DS(10),DF,DFH,DFS(9),DF(11); July '09 PC w/ DH and DS (10);May '10 CSR w/ $500 WDW gc w/DH & DS; Nov '10 PC w/ our middle schooler DS 11!! F&W, Festival of the Masters and "Christmas" at WDW and SW. July 20-26, '11 DS 12, DH (-63 lbs and counting) Y.E.S. Program, PC 5 day premium DQ, TL June 20-27, '12 First TEEN trip!!! DS and DH (-96 lbs and counting!) YES program and BG Tampa~Grabbing those quaility moments while we can! Feb. 22-25, '13 Sistah Tripping! DSis (54) and me (51), Pop Century - had res at CSR but extended stay at PC instead July 2013 - St. Pete Beach/Clearwater BG-Tampa Trip w/ DH and DS14 years old
June 2014-Universal trip w UAP and w DH and DS15--Portofino, Cabana Bay Resort, Hard Rock-club level!!!

Last edited by happy2go2wdwmom; 06-07-2007 at 09:02 AM.
happy2go2wdwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #20
SueEllen
Proud Iced Tea Snob
Laughs when thinking
Olga Tickaboomskya

Last year the 3rd week of September was AWFUL for love bugs. I was down 3 weeks ago and they were getting bad (my car still has the bugs on the grill and front!) Those boogers are really tough to get off of the car once they bake on in the FL Sun and heat. We couldn't take it through a car wash because someone decided to use a crow bar to take out one of my windows to break into my car on the way down to FL, so by the time we could get that fixed and wash the car they were stuck pretty bad.
By the way, the windshield is pretty tough to clean as well once they are hit at 70mph and become a part of your window!

They are annoying, but certainly not enough to cancel a trip over. I had to knock them off of my suitcase while waiting for DME last September what seemed like a million times. Ended up with one still there when I got to the airport.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #21
M&M's
Matt and Mel

Here's a small sample of how bad they were last September, 2006. This was taken on the 20th at MGM studios.

Annoying at times, but didn't affect our vacation at all.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #22
deej696
They say the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime, but I tried to make it at home....There's more to it than that!

While I can do without the love bugs, is it something to be concerned about when planning a vacation, no. Especailly not a vacation to WDW. They fly around, they get squashed into the front of your car, but they are no more annoying than the other flies that will bother you at lunch in the MK, etc. They dont bite, they dont sting, and its quite fun to pull the two ends of them apart Enjoy your trips, and nevermind the bugs. Remember, you are going to DISNEY WORLD!

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.
deej696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #23
jeanwdw
Earning My Ears

Smile Love bugs

Hi - friends of ours just got back from Florida ( Orlando Area ) and there were radio broadcasts warning about dense clouds of them , the dangers of not having your window wash reservoir topped up etc- apparently it was quite bad.
Maybe it will be over by September?

AKL Oct 2001
AKL Jul 2003
AKL/BW/Portofino 2005
jeanwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #24
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanwdw View Post
Hi - friends of ours just got back from Florida ( Orlando Area ) and there were radio broadcasts warning about dense clouds of them , the dangers of not having your window wash reservoir topped up etc- apparently it was quite bad.
Maybe it will be over by September?
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many come in May, there will still be more in September. I was at Disney from 9/12 to 9/22 last year, and the lovebugs were really heavy the last half of the trip. I didn't notice any the first half of the trip. But they don't arrive on a specific date. One year they may start at the end of August, the next they may not start until the end of September. May and September are the most likely months to see them.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #25
tink4ever
DVC Member Since 2001

Last January we were standing in England in Epcot watching the street performers and the love bugs were so bad we couldn't stay we had to keep walking. My DH was sad because he loves that show.

ME DH DD DS DS DDog DDog
tink4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #26
happy2go2wdwmom
I love that great song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM-Mom View Post

My 8 year old son still feels the way your 3 y.o. feels about bugs! Before our May trip I began desensitizing him to them, saying, "Oh I wonder if we'll see those cute harmless little Fla. Love Bugs again this year? They remind me of baby lightning bugs...it's so special that they live in FLA...". It worked (we expereinced the LB's here and there during our trip)!!
70's Fav ride 20,000 Leagues UTS; '03 June AKL-DF,DFH,DFS(4),DFS(5),MeDH, DS(4);'04 June HOJO'S Enchantedland-DH, DS(5), DSis (Eyeore) to WDW, Universal, SeaWorld; May '05 ASMo DDP--"OUR PERFECT DREAM COME TRUE VACATION" DH, DS(6); May '07 DDP-POP! w/ DH and DS(8)-SeaWorld;May '08 Free upgrade to CBR and PPP; April '09 Disney Wonder then Universal for SPRING BREAK-DH, DS(10),DF,DFH,DFS(9),DF(11); July '09 PC w/ DH and DS (10);May '10 CSR w/ $500 WDW gc w/DH & DS; Nov '10 PC w/ our middle schooler DS 11!! F&W, Festival of the Masters and "Christmas" at WDW and SW. July 20-26, '11 DS 12, DH (-63 lbs and counting) Y.E.S. Program, PC 5 day premium DQ, TL June 20-27, '12 First TEEN trip!!! DS and DH (-96 lbs and counting!) YES program and BG Tampa~Grabbing those quaility moments while we can! Feb. 22-25, '13 Sistah Tripping! DSis (54) and me (51), Pop Century - had res at CSR but extended stay at PC instead July 2013 - St. Pete Beach/Clearwater BG-Tampa Trip w/ DH and DS14 years old
June 2014-Universal trip w UAP and w DH and DS15--Portofino, Cabana Bay Resort, Hard Rock-club level!!!
happy2go2wdwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #27
WDW1st-timers
In Love with MetallicA
Would you like that in Canadian or American funds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1995 View Post
They were so thick in September of 2005, one even managed to find it's way home in our luggage ! They totally don't bother me one bit. Just don't show me spiders .
We went during the same time as you; how come I don't recall seeing even one of these bugs?

WDW1st-timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #28
disprincessatheart
I was a Disney Bride 4.29.08

We were there the last week of sept 06 and had never experienced them before. They were really bad at our hotel ASMu, but we didn't notice them too much in the parks. We went to GF for a wedding planning session, and noticed that we saw almost none over there. I guess it's really hit or miss, even in bad weeks.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #29
AlyssinWonderland
Lost in the Looking Glass

Wow...I live in Alaska and we don't have Love Bugs.. . never even heard of them before... Are they only out during May and September? We are going in August, Are there lovebugs in August. I'm not really concerned just curious. We have Mosquitos here the size of small birds (LoL, joking...well kinda) so I'm not scared of bugs, but curious none the less.... Do they look like flies?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #30
M&M's
Matt and Mel

Found this picture on the internet. This is basically what you'll see. They are connected at the "butt", even while flying.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: