Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #31
disneynutt1225
I'm a fruit loop girl
Can't afford to have a broad bra collection!
I think I'd break my butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogal View Post
I have heard so much about this Jersey Shore! You guys are really making me curious about it!
One has not lived fully without a trip to the Jersey Shore. And please, do not call our beloved shore the BEACH! That's blasphemy! It is, and forever will be, the Jersey Shore.

(Now from Long Island, but once a Jersey girl, ALWAYS a Jersey girl)
Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #32
nittanyliongirl02
DIS Veteran

It's so refreshing to find other "self Proclaimed Disney Addicts" like myself. Although I am from NJ, and while all the other kids were going down the shore...my parents would take us every 2 years to WDW, and I think that's what's given me the bug. Recently, my DF and I went in December, then I got the itch, and DM and I went back in March. I got the same comments as everyone else..."You're going there AGAIN, don't you want to go somewhere else?!". And the answer is NO!!! I don't think I could ever get sick of Disney. In fact, I've gotten my DF to agree to another trip in January as a graduation celebration from graduate school, and I'm working on getting mom and dad to come down too.

So it's good to know that there are others just like me who love the mouse!
2007 (POP)* 2007 (CSR and MVMCP)*2008 (Disneymoon at CSR and MNSSHP)
*2009 (AKL and MVMCP)
*2013 (POFQ and MNSSHP)*2014 (POR)
nittanyliongirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #33
Torontogal
Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member

Oh...one more -
I would love to hear tips for those travelling with seniors. My father in law travels to Disney with us and has Parkinson's. While he walks with a cane - most of he time we get him a wheelchair to make his trip more comfortable. Since there is an increasing older population now and many of us are in the "sandwich generation" - this would be helpful. Are there any not to obvious tips for us?
Also, I think when people request a wheelchair - they should provide proof that it is for medical needs. I was told by a CM that many people get wheelchairs for "weight" reasons and tired kids who don't want to walk. My FIL had a hard time finding a wheelchair at AK on last trip.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #34
disneynutt1225
I'm a fruit loop girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogal View Post
Also, I think when people request a wheelchair - they should provide proof that it is for medical needs. I was told by a CM that many people get wheelchairs for "weight" reasons and tired kids who don't want to walk. My FIL had a hard time finding a wheelchair at AK on last trip.
That's another hot button issue you will find on the boards. It's said that because of HIPAA laws in the US, Disney should not require some kind of medical proof that you need to rent a wheelchair.

I think there are way too many people abusing the system - on our last trip down, we saw so many kids being pushed in wheelchairs (2 kids at a time). My guess was they'd rent them so they'd get the "perks" of being a wheelchair party because there are no benefits to renting a stroller. And I know there are those that will read what I wrote and say "but there are plenty of people who don't have visible disabilities" and of course I'm aware of that. But to think that there aren't people who abuse the system means you're walking around wearing rose colored glasses.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #35
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutt1225 View Post
That's another hot button issue you will find on the boards. It's said that because of HIPAA laws in the US, Disney should not require some kind of medical proof that you need to rent a wheelchair.

I think there are way too many people abusing the system - on our last trip down, we saw so many kids being pushed in wheelchairs (2 kids at a time). My guess was they'd rent them so they'd get the "perks" of being a wheelchair party because there are no benefits to renting a stroller. And I know there are those that will read what I wrote and say "but there are plenty of people who don't have visible disabilities" and of course I'm aware of that. But to think that there aren't people who abuse the system means you're walking around wearing rose colored glasses.
umm well i agree alot use them for no reson and stuff but. I last year hurt my leg bd (still messes with me when i walk to much at time) and some ppl though i didnt need the whell chair last time i went to disney world. I just hated seeing ppl look at me like that. Im sorry but if they ever started saying we have to have to look disabeled id be mad, becouse (becouse of a b who pushed me in a tight kictchen at a job i tryed..well now my legs messed up probley for life) it would just suck if i neded it i wouldnt be abel to get it. (im going doctor on friday tell him my legs getting worse)
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #36
Princess Stitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's kinda silly.... don't they require you to get a doctor's note to get a handicap permit to park in the special spots? Then you have to display it in the car for everyone to see. How is that any different then asking for a note saying you need a wheelchair. It doesn't have to state what's wrong wtih you. Just that you need one for medical reasons.
Princess Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #37
disneynutt1225
I'm a fruit loop girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeDarkstar View Post
umm well i agree alot use them for no reson and stuff but. I last year hurt my leg bd (still messes with me when i walk to much at time) and some ppl though i didnt need the whell chair last time i went to disney world. I just hated seeing ppl look at me like that. Im sorry but if they ever started saying we have to have to look disabeled id be mad, becouse (becouse of a b who pushed me in a tight kictchen at a job i tryed..well now my legs messed up probley for life) it would just suck if i neded it i wouldnt be abel to get it. (im going doctor on friday tell him my legs getting worse)
I had a whole long reply typed up and my internet decided to shut off, so I'm going to try to remember what I wrote.

I'm sorry you took my post personally - I was obviously not talking about people who have valid reasons for using a wheelchair. I have had to use one myself (as a teenager with a non-visible medical condition) and both my father in law and mother use wheelchairs (FIL full time because he's a paraplegic and my mother uses one for long distances). I would have happily furnished a doctor's note if it was required (in fact, we brought one along with us just in case).

My point is, the people who abuse the system (and they know who they are) shouldn't be able to reap the "benefits" of the ones who really need to be in a wheelchair. A person who genuinely needs a chair (i.e. someone with a medical condition - whatever that may be) should be able to get one. It's the same with handicapped parking spaces requiring a placard, IMO.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #38
JadeDarkstar

Smile

i understand and am sorry to didnt mean take it personaly just i saw alot of ppl whispering about me..i think its dispecbuel when ppl think u cant hear them yet you know there talking about you..(i was picked on as kid guess im always like this) any way im sorry you family has to use them my dad should of but kept fighting saying he didnt need it (though once he did hed never walk agine any ways ttut have good nigth
Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #39
Olaf
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamfinder2 View Post
My job moved us several times while the kids were growing up, and DS said, "Y'know, Disney has been kind of the constant. No matter where we've lived, coming to Disney was like coming home."
OMGosh! I love that. It's perfect. Being a military family and DVC members, it fits us to a tee as well.
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #40
Olaf
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
One has not lived fully without a trip to the Jersey Shore. And please, do not call our beloved shore the BEACH! That's blasphemy! It is, and forever will be, the Jersey Shore.
It's a pretty beach, I'll give YOU that, but dang, THE WATER IS COLD!!! This from a girl who spent five years on the beautiful white sand and warm waters of Fort Walton Beach.

Last edited by Olaf; 06-05-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #41
DisneyBarlans
DIS Veteran

I can totally relate with y'all! We're go every year, sometimes more than once a year, and most people don't understand why. We also go other places, but nothing beats Disney. We have two or three friends that have caught the "Disney bug" and they get why we keep going back over and over again, so we go with them a lot. If my mother-in-law tells me one more time that our kids are spoiled and they're going to get sick of Disneyworld....
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #42
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

I have all the guide books for every year we've gone. What I've also done (which takes things to the extreme, I know, but...) is printed out everything pertaining to each park, trimmed off the detritus, and glued the pages into a spiral notebook. One for each park. It contains all the information you need for: say World SHowcase. It has the "not to be missed" fun stuffs that are easily overlooked. I also have a notebook pertaining to all the hidden mickeys that have been posted to date. I also have one or two relating to the Overlooked Attractions.
DizzDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #43
JadeDarkstar

Smile

see im 23 and was told my whole life i was spoiled. my son is 4 and i have been having his real dad tell me stop spoling him..im sorry but life is borring and life is nothing with out family and fun and disney is all of that rolled up together. and I dont care if my son is spoiled he is also polite and says please and thank you and yes he dosent always stop repeating things when i ask him to but he's 4 lol
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #44
DisneyBarlans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzDoll View Post
I have all the guide books for every year we've gone. What I've also done (which takes things to the extreme, I know, but...) is printed out everything pertaining to each park, trimmed off the detritus, and glued the pages into a spiral notebook. One for each park. It contains all the information you need for: say World SHowcase. It has the "not to be missed" fun stuffs that are easily overlooked. I also have a notebook pertaining to all the hidden mickeys that have been posted to date. I also have one or two relating to the Overlooked Attractions.
Me too!! I have a 2 inch thick "Disney binder" that has everything-maps, menus, parade and show info, you name it. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #45
JadeDarkstar

Smile

omg i dont have all that any more. i was gona make it up in our album and tape the tickets to wdw in there..but never did..tho my fionce found two the tickets and looked at me "you still want these" i snatched them and said yes and put them away agine..i relly should get the pics printed the others sent to old family and the disney memroal stuff togetehr i keep forgetting (of course its high and out the way so i forget)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: