Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Question Give Kids the World Village trip Fall 2007

Dear Friends,

We will be going to GKTW for our DDs wish trip in the fall. Is anyone else going in late September or October (we have not gotten dates yet)? It would be great to meet a family with similar age kids. DD will be 5 1/2 and DS will be 13.

We are so looking forward to this great blessing!
Bill_Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
MomTo2inNE
Earning My Ears

Not going then, but we stayed there for my dd's wish trip last May. It was SOOOO great and lots of fun! You'll love it!!!

Jill
wife to Joe (8 years)
mom to dd Alyssa (leukemia fighter) and ds Jacob (energy-boy)
MomTo2inNE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
nbodyhome
DIS Veteran

I volunteer there - it is a wonderful place, you will have such a great time!!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

We are staying at Give Kids the world village too. We don't have our date yet either. We think we are going the end of September too. Our wish child is going to be 7, and we have a 9, 11, 14yr olds, and 18 year old who has aspergers and mcs. Oh we are all so excited.
Who'syourMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Smile Trip to GKTW

I am excited to hear from someone else who is going about the same time. We will have to compare notes. I have done a lot of research about GKTW and WDW. I was happy to hear that Magic Kingdom has a Wish Lounge on Main Street just for Wish Kids and their families. It has a big screen television, comfortable furniture and air conditioning, as well as some snacks. Assistance is available there for information and making meal reservations.

I am sure you must have seen the GKTW.org website to learn all about Give Kids the World Village and all of its great attractions. The villas are impressive as well as the activities. You will be treated like royalty there.

As near as I can discern, front of the line access IS available at Disney Parks, Universal Parks and Sea World, although GKTW only mentions it at Sea World. That will be a big help.

I am enjoying learning about all of the rides and attractions.

Bill
Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Lin View Post
I was happy to hear that Magic Kingdom has a Wish Lounge on Main Street just for Wish Kids and their families. It has a big screen television, comfortable furniture and air conditioning, as well as some snacks. Assistance is available there for information and making meal reservations.

I am sure you must have seen the GKTW.org website to learn all about Give Kids the World Village and all of its great attractions. The villas are impressive as well as the activities. You will be treated like royalty there.

As near as I can discern, front of the line access IS available at Disney Parks, Universal Parks and Sea World, although GKTW only mentions it at Sea World. That will be a big help.

I am enjoying learning about all of the rides and attractions.

Bill
NO WAY? They have an air conditioned lounge at the MK? I was sooo worried about how dd was going to handle the heat in Sept. Wow.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

oops made that last post unregistered. Sounds like you know WAY more than I do. I just figured out the rental car logistics.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #8
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

nobodyhome-what kinds of things happen to make the siblings feel special too? My dd's sib that is 9, for instance....they usually like the same things and I don't want her to feel left out. Is that ever an issue for other parents?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Makua
Mouseketeer

I also volunteer at GKTW. They will make all of your children and you feel VERY special. You will not need to worry about anything while you are there. They will take care of all the logistics. I know it's hard not to try to plan everything ahead of time but don't worry, just prepare to enjoy! You will probably find that the kids will want to skip the parks and stay at the Village as there is so much to do. I'll try to answer any general questions you have, everyones situation is different so I can't be very specific but I'll try. And again, they will make ALL your children feel special! I was the sibling so I understand how important that can be. And I won't tell you everything because parents need suprises too!
Makua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
nbodyhome
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who'syourMickey View Post
nobodyhome-what kinds of things happen to make the siblings feel special too? My dd's sib that is 9, for instance....they usually like the same things and I don't want her to feel left out. Is that ever an issue for other parents?
Hi!

Give Kids the World treats ALL the kids well. Like - every morning there is Gift Giving, that is one of my favorite places to volunteer. There are small gifts delivered to the villas, along with the next days agenda. Each child gets a gift. On Thursday, there is Christmas. Each child gets a Christmas gift (if you go to the event). Every child gets treated special. They can get free ice cream, go to mini-golf, I don't know of anything that is wish-child specific. Often, I don't know which child is the wish child in a family (of course, some are apparent, and sometimes the children wear buttons). Your dd's sibling will have a LOT of fun and will certainly feel included.

Your kids might not want to go to the parks, and they certainly won't want to go home.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

This is so awesome! It is going to be amazing. How nice of them to think of the siblings. Mine are worn out and just plain tired from dealing with everything and I know the experience is going to be healing for everyone. What a cool place.

One of the biggest things on my mind is my dd's food allergies. There is a short list of foods that she isn't allergic to.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
nbodyhome
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who'syourMickey View Post
This is so awesome! It is going to be amazing. How nice of them to think of the siblings. Mine are worn out and just plain tired from dealing with everything and I know the experience is going to be healing for everyone. What a cool place.
I know it will be!!! It is a really amazing place. They are very kind to the volunteers as well. I have photos from our yearly party at:

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?...d=19&Itemid=69
Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
Who'syourMickey
Mouseketeer

I can feel the love radiating from those party pics. The crazy costumes are a riot. I take it the guy with the carrot in his suit is in charge of the mayor clayton (or is the character). The gal with the princess tiara must work in make believe. The gal with the cowboy hat...volunteers with horses and so on. The elf must work in Christmas and the candy guy must be in charge of candy. Cool pics. Food looked really yummy. Henri Landwirth is so inspirational. Having gone through what he went through and take that and put his energy into making this place. I feel honored to get to go to GKTW.

When she first said WDW was her dream my thought was that it would be too exausting. It seems though, that it is going to be the funnest week any of us have ever had in our lives.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
nbodyhome
DIS Veteran

The guy in the suit is actually a local TV anchor, I believe he volunteers at the village too.

Henri Landwirth is amazing, well worth looking up for anyone who has never heard of him. If you get to meet him, it's really a blessing!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Talking Our Dates are Set

Our Wish Trip dates to Give Kids the World Village are set for September 17-23. As we live in the northwest we will travel the first and last days, leaving 5 days for theme parks and the village . If you are going to be there when we will be there, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bill and Lin