Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Smile Year of the Mouse continues....Dec Trip WE'RE BACK!!

Hello all! I've been lurking for 6 months or so, using all sorts of advice, wisdom, etc gleaned from this board, and just thought to ask my husband "do you mind if your picture is on the internet?" He, surprisingly, said "no", so here I am, starting my first trip report!

We are Annual Passholders, and are making our 5th trip to the World this year September 7 - 10, to take advantage of free dining. The cast:

Suzy (the mouse) -- Me! 29 (how did that happen??), meeting and event planner who needs to be reminded to stop and smell the fresh baked cookies on Main Street every once in a while. Saw Disney with my family when I was younger and was sooo excited to introduce DH to it. Scared of pretty much any ride that has darkness, hills, drops, etc. but have recently been talked into a few -- I am most proud that I rode Thunder Mountain and Test Track -- those were biggies for me! Once upon a time, I was Suzy the Mouse in a fifth grade production of Cinderella, hence the name.
Favorite Ride: Kali River Rapids
Favorite Disney Pasttime: Planning what snack I'm going to eat next.

VERY proud to have "conquered" Big Thunder Mountain!!

Robin Hood (RH) -- My husband. 28, a college professor (he's an overachiever!) who needs to be reminded that there is more to do than just stop and smell the fresh backed cookies on Main Street more often than not. A new Disney lover (story to follow) who prefers strolling around to riding rides, but loves the rides once he can be persuaded to stand in line. I think he should be name Eeyore (they tend to have the same outlook a lot of the time), but I gave him his choice and he chose Robin Hood -- he says it's his favorite Disney movie.
Favorite ride - Everest
Favorite Disney Pasttime: Talking to CMs about the "homeland" (Disneyland).

His very favoritest character meeting yet (Merlin in Disneyland at the Sword in the Stone)

Actual pre-trippie to follow!

Last edited by Suzerella; 12-19-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

The Year of the Mouse

As I said, RH is a new Disney lover. It all started a fateful day in November 2006. He had a conference in LA, and I tagged along because I used to live there, and I wanted to visit too. We were staying at a hotel adjacent to Disneyland, and our first morning, had breakfast in Downtown Disney. In LA, DD is at the entrance to Disneyland, so we people watched all of the families going into the park while RH scoped out his conference schedule for the next few days. As he did so, we realized he would be finished at noon on one of the days - so, we decided spur of the moment that we would go to Disneyland on that afternoon. I'd never been to the "Land" and he'd never been to anything Disney, so I was pretty excited.

Now, it takes a lot to get RH excited. While he is a very happy person, he's also very mellow, and unless you know him well, you'd never know he was happy/excited/thrilled at anything. He was looking forward to the afternoon, but anyone looking at us would have thought I was dragging him into the park.

And then, we walked in the gates. It was like all of the Disney gods smiled down on us at once. The music, the smells, the sights, combined to create a perfect place for RH -- all of the sudden, a whole new world was open to him, and a new Disney lover was born. The pictures of that day are hysterical -- I've never seen such a smile on RH's face for such an extended period of time. We rode (ok, he) all of the rides, loved Space Mountain, met Merlin, made free crowns at the Princess Pavilion, ate popcorn and fresh cookies and hugged through the fireworks. All in all a perfect day.

Meeting THE MAN for the first time

But then, back to the real world.

We live in South Georgia, only about 3.5 hours to the World. We're recent transplants here, from a big city, and let's just say there isn't a lot to do in our new area. So, in March 07, when it came time for our annual vacation, I booked us a trip to Disney World. RH had been thinking about it a lot, and I was SO excited to go back for only my second DW vacation, but we didn't know what we were doing. Pop Century for 5 nights, dining plan, etc. It was FANTASTIC!! RH still thinks the "homeland" has the upper hand on somethings, but we agree DW edges them out in others.

Well, after 5 days, we made the decision to become AP holders, and since March, have made another 3 trips down to the world (once on his birthday, once on mine, and once last month). So, yes, we went from 0 trips ever for him, 1 trip ever for me, to 5 trips in less than 10 months.

We are officially a Disney household, friends and family have started laughing at our ability to relate everything to Disney (we live where all of the fires were, and our only concern with them was that they would be ruining someone's Disney vacation) and we are constantly planning our next long weekend and/or trip to DW.

Which leads us to this upcoming trip...Sept 7 - 10 at All Star Movies for free dining!! We will leave town after an event I am planning the evening of the Sept 7th, and have all day Sat, Sun and Mon at the world. ADRs are made, for O'Hana and Narcoosees, and the calendar of hours has been printed. Now, we just need to count down the next 37 days and get in the car!!

Last edited by Suzerella; 08-07-2007 at 03:20 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

I love packages from Disney!

Our official trip packet came yesterday -- one can never have too many sparkly Disney luggage tags!

On a side note, how does everyone use the Planet Hollywood voucher?? I can never find time to fit it in, and don't necessarily need it, due to the apps that are included in everything...
Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Holidays with the Mouse

Well, it looks like I'm on my own for this trip report, here's hoping that it picks up some steam

Today, AP rates came out, which meant I could finally plan my much anticipated holiday trip to the World. When we bought our APs in March, my main plan was to use them to see WDW all dressed up for Christmas. I have seen it for years in pictures and on Food Network and Travel Channel shows, and have always wanted to see it in person.

Well, I jumped on the phone, and there was NADA available for my dates and budget range. But, with dates freshly picked out this morning with RH, I wasn't going to let the lack of room availability stop me. So, I reserved rooms at an off property (please don't tell Mickey) hotel, and we are set to go, December 6 - 9th. Yippee!!

I'm not that concerned with being off property this time -- our biggest thrill on property is Extra Magic Hours, and in reviewing the hours the park is open while we are there, I don't think we'd take advantage of them. The Magic Kingdom is even open until 1am one of the days we are there.

Time to start putting pennies in the piggy bank to save up for our trip!!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Character Meetings on 5th Avenue

So, we were in NYC this weekend, and RH wanted (of course) to go the World of Disney store. We finally found it on 5th Avenue -- it is huge!!

While we were there, we stumbled on the "Mickey's Friends" room -- character meetings in NYC!! The backgrounds are NYC themed, and
Minnie even had on her Statue of Liberty costume. There were photopass photogs and everything

When our families find out we took pics with Disney characters in NYC, we are going to be subjected to much teasing. Enjoy!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Avivasmom
DIS Veteran

You sound like me planning trips. We just came back 2 weeks ago..going again end of Nov. and beginning of Jan. for my DD 7th birthday.

The NYC store sounds great!
Offsite (3 times), CBR Dec 2004, POR May 2005, AKL Nov 2005, CSR May 2006,POFQ June 2006,POFQ Nov 2006, BWV July/Aug 2007, BCV Nov 2007, POFQ Jan 2008, June 2008 SSR, AKV Aug 2008, SSR Oct 2008, SSR 2009
Aug 2010 BCV/BWV, Dec 2010 BCV/POFQ SEPT 2011 POFQ

Upcoming:
Hoping either BCV or BWV March 2011
Old 08-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
LISAMWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzerella View Post
Our official trip packet came yesterday -- one can never have too many sparkly Disney luggage tags!

On a side note, how does everyone use the Planet Hollywood voucher?? I can never find time to fit it in, and don't necessarily need it, due to the apps that are included in everything...

Great start! I'm in!

I never find the time to fit in Planet Hollywood either! I was wondering too if anyone used those coupons!
**2010 DISNEYLAND
2011-ROSEN SHINGLE CREEK**2014-CORONADO SPRINGS & DISNEYLAND

Last edited by LISAMWDW; 08-16-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
TheLastPrincess
It's OK. I'm obsessed too.

You 2 are so cute!! And congrats on fully converting your guy! I am hoping the same will happen to me for our trip in Sept (14-23)!! Looking forward to more!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Yeah!! I have readers! Princess, I just checked out your engagement story -- that was cool!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Oh how plans change

Bored at work, got online and starting looking for some AP discounts, just in case, for December. Turns out, if I change my dates to December 8 - 11, can get the $59 rate...quick look at my calendar and vacation days balance...bingo, I've got onsite reservations!

$200 total for 3 nights, including tax. Offsite, I was at $117. I think $80 is reasonable to get to stay onsite, extra magic hours, etc. There are lots of evening EMHs while we are there, which will give us a ton of extra time to check out all of the resorts dressed up for the holidays, Downtown Disney, etc. This trip will really be about the experience, less about the rides.

The only value available was AS Music. Not thrilled about it, but we just stayed at Sports in June, will be staying at Movies next month, so this means we will have hit all of the values. I anticipate Pop will remain our favorite.

Good news is, since it's a room only reservation, I can cancel up to 6 days out and not lose any $$, so I still have time to change my mind if work won't let me take off, etc.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Oh how plans change Part II

So, 5 minutes after getting off the phone with CM #1, I received a passholder email that showed a special $20 Disney Dining Card for passholders staying at least 2 nights during certain dates -- and my dates applied!

25 minutes later, I finally got another CM on the phone, explained the situation (so I thought). She pulled up my first reservation -- turns out it was Florida resident room. Oops, that won't work, since we live in Georgia.

It took her A LOT of time, but she finally figured out how to take care of it, so now I have the a new reservation, same cost, but I also have a $20 Disney Dining Card in my pocket.

UPDATE -- After being on hold for 30 (!!!) minutes while she cancelled my first reservation, she came back and said "sorry, you don't get the $20 card because your check in date is the day before the promo starts." Honestly, she's been a painful CM experience, so I'm just going to call back another day and switch my reservation to 1 night for the 8th and a new reservation starting on the 9th to get the card.

Woo Hoo! I figure this brings the "extra" cost of staying on property to just $60. I love fuzzy Disney math!

Last edited by Suzerella; 08-16-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #12
LISAMWDW
DIS Veteran

Good luck w/your next CM! I think you'll be happy at Music! I'm not a fan of the values but I have heard that Music is the best...less crowded and noisey.

Enjoy! Let us know how your call goes!
**2010 DISNEYLAND

Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #13
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Thanks -- just got off another 40 minute call. Got a great CM, he has me set up with two reservations, but the system went down before he could finalize the details of my second one!

He says he's going to call me back -- I've never heard of them doing that before, so we'll see.

All this in the name of $20 in free food

Off to read your trip report now!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
LISAMWDW
DIS Veteran

How frustrating! You'll certainly be enjoying that $20 card!
**2010 DISNEYLAND

Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
Suzerella
Mouseketeer

Ok, FINALLY have everything in order, one reservation for the first night, one reservation for the 2nd and 3rd nights, with the dining card. That was a lot of work (and time) for $20 -- oh, what we'll do to make our trips to Disney FEEL cheaper

On a service note, the computers went down again while I was on the phone with CM Mitchell this time -- he said he'd have to call me back, and he did! I was really impressed with that.

How many days until Disney in September?? That trip will get me even MORE excited for a holiday trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: