Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

I love Main Street, but ...

I was glad Main Street won for best themed land. That was my vote too. As a Disney veteran, though, I do miss the way Main Street used to be when the focus was more on theme and atmosphere and not so focused on squeezing every last cent out of the guests at every turn.

Main Street used to have many unique experiences: the Walt Disney story, the Cinema, the Magic Shop, the Penny Arcade, etc. All of those locations gradually got replaced by stores all selling the same stuff as every other store. Plus they eliminated one side alley to make the Emporium even bigger.

Does anyone else miss the way Main Street used to be? I still love it. I still love just hanging out there, especially at times when it isn't overly crowded. But I do miss the "old" Main Street.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Tonopah
Earning My Ears

I miss the general store and I do not like Starbucks at all.
Tonopah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I remember the cinema and the penny arcade. They were great and I do miss them.

Main Street is still nice but like you, I miss the variety they used to have.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

I dislike the stores selling mountains of merchandise but I think the Starbucks is an improvement. At least it breaks up the endless tchotchkes shops.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I dislike the stores selling mountains of merchandise but I think the Starbucks is an improvement. At least it breaks up the endless tchotchkes shops.
The Main Street Bakery broke up the shops just fine.

On the plus side, I love that they put an operating glass shop into Main Street. I love watching the glassblower work and I think the items they make there are wonderful and unique souvenirs. We have one of the Mickey vases at home.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I miss the old Main Street. I miss the Flower Lane and the Cinema.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle8995 View Post
I miss the Flower Lane and the Cinema.
For those who don't remember the cinema, it was a great place to escape the heat and crowds. There were 6 screens around the room showing classic Mickey cartoons like Steamboat Willie and others. There were no seats. You just sat on the floor. There was an elevated platform in the center of the room so there were a couple of levels of seating.

I realize that it just wouldn't work today though. The park is way too crowded for something like that to be feasible unfortunately.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
For those who don't remember the cinema, it was a great place to escape the heat and crowds. There were 6 screens around the room showing classic Mickey cartoons like Steamboat Willie and others. There were no seats. You just sat on the floor. There was an elevated platform in the center of the room so there were a couple of levels of seating.

I realize that it just wouldn't work today though. The park is way too crowded for something like that to be feasible unfortunately.
Still miss it though. It was a cool respite on a hot day.

Flower Lane was cool we used to take pictures there when I was young. I also would love some Main Street Merchandise.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle8995 View Post
Flower Lane was cool we used to take pictures there when I was young. I also would love some Main Street Merchandise.
Wasn't that also where the silhouette person worked who is now back in Liberty Square?

Speaking of Liberty Square, I've got nostalgia there too for the silver shop and the antique shop.

It seems like years ago, the theming wasn't just about the facades of the buildings but also about what was inside, what types of shops one would find in those areas. Today, that isn't nearly as true anymore.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I still love Main Street just the same but it's for the actual street and not the content of the stores. I never really went into the cinema or did more than a cursory glance through the other specialty stores. It has always been my favorite for the clean, utopia feeling of an early 1900s Main Street for the architectural details and theming (and streetmosphere). I still love it for that reason and still only browse quickly through the stores and buy little to nothing
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post

Disneyland's cinema sounds like it's the exact same setup and it's still in use, rarely busy either.

Even with WDW's larger crowds I think the cinema could still work there, I have a feeling removing it was purely about adding store space and had nothing to do with crowds.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post
I have a feeling removing it was purely about adding store space and had nothing to do with crowds.
I agree. I can just see it not working with a large crowd, unsupervised children, etc.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
DisneyKingpin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post
Disneyland's cinema sounds like it's the exact same setup and it's still in use, rarely busy either.
I think the key phrase here is "rarely busy." If anything is rarely busy, it's probably because it's not popular enough. So if you can find something more appealing to replace it, I'm not opposed. Classic example of supply and demand concept.
DisneyKingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
limabeanmom2003
DIS Veteran

I miss the old Main Street too. When I was a kid, we spent more time on Main Street than we do today. It was less crowded then and there was no rush to get to your first attraction. Maybe now with FP+ I can stop and enjoy it again.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
BigBlueWho
Mouseketeer

Sigh...I have these same thoughts every time I go...Main St could be super awesome instead of great if all those places weren't packed with shops. When I become king of the world, it's on my to do list.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: