Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

This Pre-trip is Not Yet Rated:It's the End of the Pre-Trip as We Know it!

As much as I really and truly hate to admit it my vacation will go sponsor and in turn is sponsored by, Paris Hilton.

Hey, where ya going?…..Come back…no don’t read that other trip report or go off to do battle on the CB! I didn’t mean to scare you off with by mentioning the notorious Hilton. Perhaps further explanation in required. We’re gonna roll a little bit differently than the typical DIS Trip author. See, we aren’t staying in a Disney resort.

Wait! Come on, it can’t be that bad can it? Gimme another chance here. Thanks!

We are using our Hilton Honors points to stay at the Doubletree Guests Suites which is part of the Hilton Family of Hotels and inturn supports the mess and total wastoid, Paris Hilton. Apologies for the mention but it is some kind of unwritten media law that she be mentioned in all types of media, including the DIS boards.

But back to the Pre-trip.That’s right! No Magical Express, no Dining Plan, no Mousekeeping towel animals (which give me the willies whenever I see pictures) and minimal magic for us, right??

Well, we’ll see about that, missy (or mister….whichever applies to you, gentle reader)

Okay, some of you may be asking yourselves “Who is this person? And how dare she take her family to Disney and stay off-site?? The outrage! Well, I never in all my born day! And why is she incapable of writing a paragraph longer than three sentences?!!?”

The easiest answer is to the last question. I have to break up my writing at odd intervals in order to avoid the “Wall of Words” style which will visually assault you with my lack of paragrapical indentation. Yeah, totally made up “paragraphical”! 10 points to me!

In all seriousness, we elected to stay at the Doubletree because we had free points from overzealous use of AMEX. I read about DISers and their free dining, well we got free sleepin’ and showerin’! Plus, the Doubletree is a great hotel and I always enjoyed staying in them as a kid.

But I also must mention that in the four previous trips I have taken to the House of Mouse, I have never stayed in a Disney hotel. After discovering the DIS, I am most anxious to stay, though. Unfortunately, the DIS was not discovered until 7 months after I booked my reservation. But onward!

Here’s everyone you (if you are nosy like me) will be reading about:

Dramatis Personae

Me-29-SAHM but not for long! Just received certification for subbing in school systems and currently awaiting law school admission decision. Four Disney vacations: three as a kid (ages 1, 8 and 14) and one as a single gal at age 23. This is my first DV as a wife and mom. Also, I have pretty much scheduled everything for all families on this trip.

DH-37-former Marine and presently works keeping the skies safe as an aircraft inspector. One prior DV with his parents when he was 15. He is praying that gas will be under $3.00 a gallon since we are driving ourselves.

DD-2-First time! She is thrilled and has worn our Disney vacation DVD. Most interested in meeting Snow White, Mary Poppins and riding Dumbo with Daddy and the “teapots” with Mommy.

My DF- 61- All around great dad and Elvis fan. Has four Disney trips under his Mountaineers belt buckle and is rarin’ to go! Sharing a room with us. We are treating them on our points at Disney since they have treated us on their points at Destin.

My DM- 57- Selfless and loving, they don’t make many like her these days! She also has four Disney trips and is looking forward to going in Granny-mode.

But wait….there’s more!

DU-51-“Unk” as we call him but they also call him “Possum” (which I never understood). The uncle who is so funny you will wet yourself laughing. A real character! He is also my Dad’s baby brother.

DA-42- graphic designer and good friend. This is only her (as well as Unk’s)second trip to Disney and both their first time as parents.

DC-9- Little E (for Evil) as my husband calls her. Funny little kid who is wild about my DD. They are looking forward to riding the magic carpet together. It is Little E’s first trip to Disney.

See, we are a very close family. And not just because we are from West Virginia, so spare me the incest jokes! We just enjoy being around each other and there is always minimal (if any at all) drama, so our vacations are always a blast. We usually go with another aunt/uncle/cousin combo with a side of DGF thrown in to boot but not on this vacation.

Well, s’pose that’s enough for now. I will continue onward and upward. I’m too lazy for a ticker so here’s how much time my Widgets countdown says is left for vacation:
34 days, 22 hours, 1minute 20 seconds, 19 seconds, 18 seconds, 17 seconds……

Best, lmc

Last edited by lorimc; 05-16-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

Nevermind...fixed a comment above!

Last edited by lorimc; 04-16-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: editing
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
chip91
Mouseketeer

Great start on your pre-trippie/trippie

Have a fun time on your not so magical because your not staying on site Disney trip JUST KIDDING, I'm just jealous because your countdown is ALOT shorter than mine!!

Enjoy!

Chip
Old 04-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip91 View Post
Great start on your pre-trippie/trippie

Have a fun time on your not so magical because your not staying on site Disney trip JUST KIDDING, I'm just jealous because your countdown is ALOT shorter than mine!!

Enjoy!

Chip
Wow *noticing your upcoming Oct trip size* lotsa folks going!!

Thanks for reading! And even though we aren't in a Disney resort, we are still on offical Disney property, so maybe we will get some magic by osmosis.

Last edited by lorimc; 04-13-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

Food, Glorious Food!

Here are the ADRs I have scheduled for our trip. I kinda want to play it fast and loose and not be too restricted to what the parks are offering. I chalk that up to a potential benefit to staying quasi-off-site. We shall see. Also, while I made hotel reservations waaaay, waay on back, I discovered the DIS before I made ADRs, so thanks!

We plan to strap on the feedbag at the following places:

Saturday-Arrival Day-Somewhere in DTD. Unk was campaigning for Bergamo’s. While I like bein’ fancy and getting all duded-up, I’d like to keep it a little more casual. On this trip I want to eat where I can wear my Figment hat from 1985 and not be frowned upon. Plus the sheer awesomeness from that hat would totally be a distraction to all the opera sangin’ happening.

Sunday-MK-Dinner at Tony’s Town Square. I sold Unk on the idea that Tony’s is the Bergamo’s of Disney. That’s Amore!

Monday-Epcot-Breakfast-Storybook Princess in Beautiful Norway! After scouring the boards, I booked the breakfast based on the mention of what characters seemed to be present the most at certain meals. Since this trip is about Snow White for my daughter, based on what I have read here, it seems that she makes more breakfast appearances than lunch or dinner. I know that no character is ever guaranteed, so it will be interesting to see if this is a worthy gamble.

Tuesday-This will prolly be a Typhoon Lagoon day. I anticipate eating fast food during the day and perhaps giving the hotel restaurant a try in the evening. Or risk it for a biscuit and finish up the afternoon at AK (which I am dreading…..but more on that later) and see what TS or CS we can scrounge up there.

Wednesday-MGM-Lunch-Play N’Dine at Hollywood and Vine- We’re going on a trip in our favorite rocket ship to hey, hey Jo Jo’s Circus! This meal is just for me, DH,DD and the Grandparents. Again, not about food, about character.

Thursday-Dinner-Chef Mickey’s My dad chose this restaurant. I think it will be fun and I am glad we will get to see Mickey and the gang without having to stand in a line at ToonTown. My DD is 2, she doesn’t care about autographs. However, Dcuz is 9 and plans on hitting the autographing pretty hard. So, I am counting on Chef Mickey’s to give us that character interaction time so we can cruise on the ridin’ the rides and not have the precious vacation seconds gobbled up on “line rides” as one DISer put it in a trip report I recently read.

Friday-So sad…we leave. We plan on checking out of Hotel that morning and staying in a yet to be determined park until we are ready to drive the 3 hours north to our hotel. Dgrandad is lobbying for Casey’s Hotdogs pretty hard, so we will try to eat there for him. Otherwise, it’s a mystery!

Also, want to mention a possible cameo in this trip to be made by my DB (25). He can’t stay the whole time we are, so someone will have to have an Airport Adventure while we are down there. Dad is all worried but I say, “Let the boy yellow cab it to the hotel!! Don’t waste the precious gold-like minutes any more than you have to!!”

Best, lmc
Old 04-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

There'll Be Some Changes Made....

Just a quick update before I scoot out of town for the weekend.

I have added another ADR for out trip. Since Friday is our "free day" (the morning we check out of Doubletree and head over to the parks for long last looks, licks and laughs), I was concerned about getting the caravan together before we head on home to Almost Heaven West Virginia. I didn't want the group to feel pressured to stay together so we could make a timely departure. In order to achieve all-around happiness in folks ages 61-2, I booked a late lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern.

This frees everyone up in the morning and part of the afternoon yet permits them to keep in the back of their minds that they have a certain place to be at a certain time. I won't have to worry while waiting in line for EE one last time where or what everyone else is doing. If they miss the ADR, THEN and only THEN will I let the worrying warthog free.

Also, I thought it would be fitting to have one last meal together as a vacationing family and we could discuss what a great time we had! There was just something appealing about doing this at the LTT. The pictures I saw (thanks DISers!! ) evoked homey, Americana type sentiments that I hope wiil compliment the best vacation ever!!

DB is going to make it for a few days. He is a fan of the villians so I am going to make sure that he gets to do Fantasmic before he heads home.

Thanks to those who take time out to read and comment!

best, lmc

PS-Just wanted to say that I completed my first day (it was pretty rough!!)as a HS sub and I think a mandatory Disney Vacation should be given to EVERY teacher. I loved it but they were WILD today. Maybe because it was Friday and the weather was nice. Anyways, this is a whole 'nother thread!! Teachers = and YOU ROCK!!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

Thumbs up Rockin’ Around in Crocs! Quarters for Dumbo?

Like a leaky faucet my trip report news comes trickling in…..

I just wanna say that I am very choosy about my footwear. I spend most of my year (the non-warm ones) wearing Doc Martens and the rest in a pair of Nike ACG sandals that are about 6 years old. After much laud here on the boards, I purchased a pair of Crocs. I bought the Mary Jane style in hot pink and they are awesome!!!! I have only taken them off to sleep in, teach in and church in! And trust me, Crocs will make an appearance in the latter two places very soon! But all the fans know how great they are and scoff at my earlier skepticism . I also bought the Disneyfied crocs for DD. DH says he wouldn’t be caught dead in them. However, I think I have persuaded my DU, DA and Little E to to make the crossover to Croctopia.

I also have to share what my DD2 asked me last week. She asked, “Mommy, do we need quarters to ride Dumbo at Disney World?” I about fell out of my chair laughing.

“No,” said I “We don’t need them for Dumbo, babe.”

She- “How about the Teapots (what she calls The Mad Tea Party”) ?”

Me- “No quarters for Teapots.”

She-“How about the small boats (her version of IASW)?”

Me-“No, no quarters for the boats”

She-“How about………(big pause as she thinks of a ride) for Cinderelly’s Horsies?”

Me-“No, etc…….”

Can you see a trend here, folks?

Anyways I ended up telling her that the rides were all free a point which was hotly contested by DH. But it was true, for her at least, cuz she’s two and free baby, free!!!!

So I told her that Daddy bought tickets and the tickets paid for all the rides. That seemed to satisfy until she asked “Where’s my ticket??”

ACK! No ticket since she is free!! I am thinking about making a “ticket” for her to carry around. My idea is to take an old gift card and put Disney stickers on it.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery about mock tickets for tots under two??

Thanks for reading!

Best, lmc
Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #8
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

Fantasmic at my Fingertips?

Here it is, according to my widget countdown thingy: 16 days, 5 hours, 34 minutes and I am still making reservations!

The more I read over my trusty guidebooks, the more antsy I get about staking out a seat at Fantasmic. I really don't want to hang in the bleachers and wind up with a severe case of numb-butt but I also don't want to get up in the nosebleed section with the mountain goats. Or even worse, standing room with a two-year old.

SO I bit the bullet and called Disney Dining at 7:30 am Monday morning to see what I could get. And NOTHING was available. No Brown Derby, No Mama Melrose, No Hollywood and Vine, No turkey hash or gallons or turkey soup!

Hmm...so I told Maria the CM, I wold try later in the week. Well, four hours later, (cuz I just can't stand it!!!! )I call again and Vanessa was able to scoop up a 4:30 Fantasmic Package at H-N-V. Which it still waaaaay earlier than I want, but at least it's an ADR. My plan is too keep calling everyday to check on cancellations.

And while I stated above that my motive was to avoid a major camp-out for seating, I really want my brother to see this show since he will not be able to stay the whole week with us. He loves the villains (Maleficent is his gal!) and he has always been a bit of a pyromaniac (appropriate childhood story about matches to be revealed later!), so I think it is important for him to see this show.

That's all for now. Not to beat the dead horse (where's THAT smiley?? ) since I mentioned this on another board but I have been slightly bummed about not getting into law school this year and I feel this Disney trip is going to be very timely.

Best,

lmc
Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Punky's Mama
Mouseketeer

I'm reading! I'm so excited for you, your trip is almost here! We are going in September and staying for free at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club! I'm excited to here how your trip went staying off site as that will be us in a short while!

Have fun! Can't wait to read all about it when you get back!

DisneyWorld...September 15th 2007!!!
Disneyland.....May & October of 2006
Disneyland.....June of 1996
Disneyland.....Summer of 1984
Old 05-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
Kim321
Mouseketeer

I'm reading too, and enjoying your excitement!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

Unhappy Writer's Block/Vacation Block suffering from both!

Oh my....I have begun to fear my vacation ticker!

Each second counted down only sends me into a panic mode where I realize how little time I have left to get EVERYTHING done.

I need a poncho, I just ordered my swimsuit today, DD needs more shorts, I need all kinds of clothing, need to get my planner together and I am still calling twice a day to WDW-DINE to try and get a later ADR for our Fantasmic Dining Package. ACK! ACK! ACK!

I'm hoping to finish up the clothing shopping this weekend and to get cracking on the fine details like cleaning our stroller, getting sunscreen, rounding up some glow necklaces, finding a portable DVD harness and baking pepperoni rolls and chocolate chip cookies for the ride down.

I've mentioned in previous posts that my DB might make a cameo and I was informed today that he has purchased his plane tickets! Glad Uncle Meanie (what my DD calls him!!) can join us even though he is refusing to wear our group Mickey Mouse tye-dye shirt! To quote him, "Those shirts should just be for those DRIVING down", which is his polite way of saying "Heck no, y'all!!"

Actually DH is leery of wearing one too, so I am hoping they'll at least put it on for ONE picture. If I get one photo of us all together, then they don't have to wear them when we go to DTD Saturday night.

I read somewhere on the DIS that the official colors of WDW are green, yellow and purple. I think these are the colors my DA is going to use when she makes our shirts. It works out good because each family unit can have one color: ME, DH and DD can be green; DMom, DDad and DB can be purple; DA, DU and Little E can be yellow. Fun Times!

Well, that's all I can think of for now!

Happy Reading!

Best,

lmc
Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
Kim321
Mouseketeer

I think I know what you mean about fearing your vacation ticker! We've still quite a bit of time to go, but I'm starting to feel out of control that I haven't started any packing lists, to-do lists, and lists of the lists I need to make! I'll feel better when I get some disposable rain ponchos, and where do you find glow necklaces? I've seen glow sticks, but not necklaces.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim321 View Post
I think I know what you mean about fearing your vacation ticker! We've still quite a bit of time to go, but I'm starting to feel out of control that I haven't started any packing lists, to-do lists, and lists of the lists I need to make! I'll feel better when I get some disposable rain ponchos, and where do you find glow necklaces? I've seen glow sticks, but not necklaces.
The dollar store and Big Lots sell them where I live. I read on the DIS where people buy a bunch of them (because they are sooo inexpensive) and hand them out to other families. I am also taking a light-up spinny Elmo toy for DD that is similar to the ones sold in the parks. I am trying not to go souvenir-crazy!

But then that is why the grandparents are going!! Granny needs that shirt that says "Granny is my name, Spoiling is my game!"

I let you know about my glow necklace purchases before I go!

Thanks for stopping by Kim321
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
lorimc
Push the Button, Frank
Happy Birdoiy!

.............And I Feel Fine

This will be my last post on my PT until we return.

I'm am ready to get the heck out of Dodge! It's pouring the rain today leaving me no choice but to PACK!

I still have to get a swimsuit since the one I ordered from disneyshopping.com was at least 3 sizes to big! I'm kinda stuck with shopping for another one or making due with my suit from 2 years ago that doesn't quit fit like it used to. I have to get cracking on that chore today.

Also, we have to work in another Kindermusik class before we go since our group finishes up while we are gone.

I've got cameras charged and memory cards erased. I've been to the library. The inside our our vehicle in clean. Still have to hold mail, pay a few bills, make some pepperoni rolls and do the last bit of Wal-Marting for extra supplies before we go.

This time next week, we wil be checking out Muppet-Vision and looking forward to our lunch buffet with Jojo and the Little Einsteins!

I looking forward to writing a post-trip report, too.

Thanks to all of you who've hung in right along with me!

best,

lmc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: