Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Confessions of a Disney Snob...May 2007

WELCOME! To the snobbish trip report of AGPrincess (otherwise known as Emma...that's me! ). This trip report is now complete and ready for your enjoyment. In this post you will find the table of contents (directly below) and some introductions (below the table of contents). Enjoy!

Table of Contents...

Part I (pre-trip)
--Cast & Crew...(right here) p.1
--My "affects"...(scroll down) p.1
--Packing Party Post...(post 24) p.2

Part II (Polynesian)
--Driving (me insane)...(post 31) p.3
--Day 1 at Disney...(post 49) p.4
--Day 3
>MK Morning...(post 67) p.5
>Troubles in Toontown...(post 79) p. 6
>Shimmering, Glimmering, Carouseling...(post 92) p.7
--Day 4
>An Early Day at the MK...(post 105) p.8
>New Rides to be Ridden (Rode?) at Epcot...(post 118) p.8

Part III(Coronado)
--DAY 5
>Behind the Scenes at: the College Program...(post 129) p.9
>Long Treks and Lazy Hammocks at Coronado...(post 139) p.10
--DAY 6
>A Morning Just for Dart...(post 153) p.11
>MGM Madness...(post 154) p.11
>Doin' Downtown Disney Right...(post 155) p.11
--DAY 7
>Adventures at the Kingdom of the Animals...(post 170 and 171) p.12
>Nicki Goes Around the World...(post 182) p.13

Part IV(AKL)
--DAY 8...JAMBO!...(post 201) p.14
--DAY 9, PART I...Soaking Up a Last Bit of the Lodge...(post 220) p.15
--AKL Secret...(post 231) p.16

PART V(Saratoga)
--DAY 9, PART II...Forget this, I'm going to Epcot!...(post 221) p.15
--DAY 10
>My iPod's Dangerous Adventure & a Hollerin' Good Breakfast...(post 237) p.16
>Hairwraps and Horses...(post 252) p.17
>Swishy Skirt in a Sparkling Sunset (post 273) p.19
--DAY 11, 12...Homeward Bound + a surprise!! (post 299) p.20

--Final Thoughts (post 322) p.22

BONUS (not really updates but still interesting):
--Poly Room pics...(post 64) p.5
--AG Doll Tips for WDW...(post 190) p.13
--Aramis' Take on the College Progam (post 290) p.20

Cast & Crew

The Disney Snob. That’s what my friends call me. When they have time to call me anything, that is. I haven’t seen a lot of my friends lately. I’m a senior in high school, and failing a bunch of AP exams doesn‘t leave you a lot of time to do anything other than lose your mind.

**For those of you that DON’T know what AP exams are, they’re like the SAT…only subject-specific…they’re supposed to get you out of certain college classes…provided you can pass them (that’s the catch)

The appellation “Disney Snob“ came about several weeks ago, when I wasn‘t studying for all these stupid tests…grumble grumble… OK. Pity party over. SO. Disney Snob. The name came about thusly:

Me: “Guess what I‘m doing after AP exams?”
Friend: “Other than checking into an insane asylum?”
Me: dirty look
Friend: “OKay, fine. What?”
Me: “Going to Disney!!”
Friend: “What? You just went there a few months ago!”
Me: “What are you talking about?!”
Friend: “Remember…in February…”
Me: “OH, you mean when we went to California That was Disneyland. Now, I’m going to Disney World. They’re totally different. Disney World is way superior.”
Friend: skeptical look
Me: “What? Disney World is so much more awesome”
Friend: “You are such a Disney snob.”

Now before all you Disneyland aficionados start protesting…STOP! The Disney Snob has something to say.

PERHAPS, if I hadn’t been to Disney World upwards of a dozen times and didn’t even need a map in the parks and didn’t love it with every cell in my body, I would feel differently. As it is, I’ve only been to Disneyland three times: once I was too young to remember, another time I went with the marching band and had a really bad time and the third time (in February)….well, actually I had a really great time in February. But that’s another story.

But let’s get back to the matter at hand. Which is…Disney World is better than Disneyland. In my not-so-humble opinion (or IMNSHO for you acronym-savvy people). Look. I’m sorry. But it’s kinda like this.

When I think Disneyland I think…Disneyland!…CALIFORNIA!!

Whereas, when I think Disney World I think…DISNEY WORLD!!…Florida!

It’s just my thing. And I’m a snob, so I have to be judgmental…right?

NOW. As the more perceptive DISers may have picked up…I’m going BACK to the real happiest place on earth in a very short time. So I'm going to WDW in less than a week and I’ve still got more AP exams coming up. Hopefully you can imagine how incredibly HARD it is to focus right now.

My solution? Don’t try.

NOO…okay that’s not my solution. My solution is to try to focus on DISNEY for a little while in writing my very first pre-trip report...or pre-trippie...or pre-TR....or pre-tripe...or pre-whatever-you-prefer.

It should be awesome. My family’s quite a cast of characters…

So. Are you ready for this? You’re going to have to be…

THE CAST (aka the Snob’s family):

Emma: That’s me. THE SNOB. If I referred to myself as the snob, though, you’d think I was a weirdo so we’ll just use Emma. Let's see...I love Disney princesses…did you know I can do Cinderella, Belle, Aurora, Ariel, and Snow White’s autographs? Oh yeah. I’m that awesome. And I love Disney World, of course. You already knew that.

Betsy: That’s my Mom. The best mother in the world. Well, she’d have to be…she’s mine, right? Lol, no. My mom is master planner and Disney aficionado. I get my gorgeous brown hair and gorgeous brown eyes from her. (what?? Snob’s aren’t MODEST!) And my creativity and funness from her too. My mom is the QUEEN of fun. I actually look forward to boring school concerts and doctor’s waiting rooms, b/c you NEVER know what scheme my Mom’s going to think up.

Joe: That’s my Dad. The best father in the world…you know the rest… My dad’s a lot more sedate than my Mom. You know that saying “opposites attract?” That would describe my parents perfectly. My dad is fun in his own way too. He won’t admit he likes Disney World, but my Mom knows he does. I get my intelligence from my Dad and my hard work ethic…which may not show right now, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Aramis: Aramis is my brother. My oldest brother. He is the ‘technical’ reason we’re going on this trip (there’s always a technical reason…right? . Aramis is taking some time off of college (he's 20) so he can do the Disney college program. Don’t even get me STARTED on how jealous I am. Aramis and I don’t always see eye to eye…our brains are wired differently…...but he’s still a good brother...

Porthos: Brother no. 2. He’s 15. I come between Aramis and him...in case you didn't realize 18 comes between 20 & 15... We sometimes call Porthos “Joe Cool” because he’s taken to high school like a duck takes to water. He likes disney more than Aramis and is consequently higher in my estimation.

Athos: Athos is ten and at a PRIME Disney-lovin’ age. He’s obsessed with Stitch like Ahab was with Moby Dick…only Athos isn’t lookin’ to kill Stitch…he just wants to own every item of Stitch paraphernalia possible…kinda like me with princesses…only his age excuses his obsession & mine makes mine worse…Oh well. Athos is also an animal/dinosaur/bug freak so you may imagine that the AK is his favorite park.

Dartagnion: At this point you’re probably saying “How many brothers can one girl HAVE?” For me, the number’s four. I have heard of instances where the number was higher, but the snob’s only got four and Dart’s the last one.

Poor Dartagnion! I’m neglecting him! Dart is too cute -- just turning four years old on this trip. He loves meeting characters, ironically, he’s sometimes afraid of the face characters, but he’ll run up and hug a guy in a mouse suit no problem. I’ll admit it…when Dartagnion rolled around, I was hoping for a sister…to even things out, you know? However, life happens and sometimes the only sisters you’ll ever have will be in-laws.

UP NEXT: my "affects," please: shoes, purses, and earrings

…This can mean only one thing…The Snob’s going SHOPPING!

Last edited by AGPrincess; 06-21-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

You have a true talent for writing and drew me in. I am looking forward to your next installments.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Aaaww...Thank you, disneyaddicted. It's always nice to have someone else on board! I'm going to read your pre-TR as soon as I'm done studying!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

I'm diggin' your pre-trippie so far, snobby girl!
At first I saw your brother "Aramis" and wondered, "Was he named after The
Three Musketeers
character? It dawned on me that you used nicknames
on purpose when I got to brother #2.

But really, you're lucky that you're the only daughter in the house full o'
testosterone: You get all the girly attention! (Trust me. I'm the baby of
three kids, with an older brother and sister. I had her hand-me-downs.)
Old 05-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

My "Affects"

Well. I just failed my Physics AP test. It was a nightmare. I knew before I went in it would be bad b/c I didn’t study a lot, but I didn’t think it would be this bad. It was like trying to catch a mouse in the dark and kicking yourself b/c YOU’re the one who forgot to turn the lights on.

I just can’t wait for this week to be over. Disney World is the antidote to these AP tests. The odd thing is, I think these yicky tests will actually help me enjoy Disney World more (YES, you just heard me admit there’s an upside to 4-hour-long-ridiculously-hard-tests!). But really. Think about it.

You stress and stress and stress and then when you get to Disney World it’s just like “YEESS!!!” But if you went to WDW straight from an un-stressfulizing situation, there wouldn’t be that anticipation. That big humongo sigh of relief and sheer and utter delight when you arrive.

BUT you didn’t come here for a dissertation on why stress makes Disney World more enjoyable. NoOOo sirree. You came here to read about the good things in life. To read about stores and credit cards and clothes and accessories and malls and cute shopping bags…OH yeash.

(Cue music…You know…cause we are living in a material world…and I am a material girl…)

YES. I am a material girl as well as a snob.

And about three months before we go to Disney World, I kick it into high gear. Whatever I see (or my mom sees for that matter…) makes me think “That would be perfect for Disney World!!” or “I would look so cute in that in a hammock at the Polynesian” or “I SO have to get that and get my pic w/ Chip and Dale in it” or “Those colors would exactly match Coronado Springs.” Or any number of other thoughts along those lines.

So. Yesterday we went shopping at Target. My Mom had her 10 percent off certificate AND we’re going to Disney World in LESS than a week, so you knew this was going to be a big one.

First I hit the accessories and purses department…It’s always easiest to find stuff there…In fact, you almost always find TOO much stuff there…

So first I found a super duper cute green purse. It has this cute little white ribbon to tie it up with and one side is solid kelly green and the other side is striped kelly green, white, and light green. Hmmm…That would make a cute hair wrap…but we’ll get into my hair wrap obsession later.

This is the purse:

Adorable, I know. But don’t rush off to Target to buy one just yet. B/c I found other stuff too. I’m a very skirt-oriented person. I can’t stand wearing jeans in the summer. So skirts are a must for WDW. I found a cute tan skirt and then I found this really cute pink sleeveless shirt.

STOP! Uh oh. It’s sleeveless. That’s bad. My mom doesn’t like sleeveless shirts. A lot. And I’m not so crazy about them either. But sometimes you just get tired of wearing the standard short-sleeved t-shirt and you need something to mix it up a little.

PLUS, this was a really cute shirt. It was tropical, which made it perfect for the Polynesian, and it was several different shades of pink, my favorite color. And it matched the tan skirt perfectly.

So I showed it to my mom, expecting her not to go for it…But she did! She said I could wear a white t-shirt under it if worst came to worst…

So WOO HOO! I’ve got the perfect outfit for the Polynesian. Here is the pretty shirt…

I’m hoping to wear it to the MK. And I’m going to make someone stand in that ridiculously long line to see the princesses at Toontown with me so that I can get a picture of me in my pink shirt and Aurora in her pink dress. Aurora is occasionally my favorite princess…it pretty much varies…but I think she will be on this day…

So that was it for Target. I also found some assorted t-shirts at other assorted stores, however.

I found a pink shirt that will be perfect for an EMH (in the morning obviously) from Kohl’s

BUT there’s a problem. And I could use you people’s help on this one. I also found a Chip & Dale shirt at Sears that I had planned on wearing to the MK. And the morning we’re going early to the MK is also the day we’re doing a character lunch w/ Chip & Dale…SOO…

Here’s the Chip and Dale shirt:

Alack, alas, and forsooth. Choices, choices…I was thinking I COULD just change before lunch…but would that be too silly? Hmmm…

I’ve got some other fun stuff too, like my earrings….

And my hair ribbons…

And my crocs...

And that’s about it. For NOW. Ha…there’ll be more..

To follow: Packing...or How to Get a Snob Ready to Go to WDW!

Last edited by AGPrincess; 06-11-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

I say change the shirt before lunch, that wouldn't be ridiculous at all, it's your vacation and you write your own rules!!! plus ChipnDale will get a kck out of seeing themselves on your shirt.

Cute crocs, I never tried on the flip flop kind, are they as comfrotable as the regular croc shoe?

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]

Last edited by disneyaddicted; 05-14-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
crgfsu1
DIS Veteran

You're quite the story teller...I look forward to more.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
aspcamhreditor2
Mouseketeer

Some DISers Are Just Smarter than Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
At first I saw your brother "Aramis" and wondered, "Was he named after The
Three Musketeers
character? It dawned on me that you used nicknames
on purpose when I got to brother #2.
Briar Rose,
That officially makes you smarter than me ... I got past the 2nd brother wondering if AG Princess's parents had enough sons to use all the Musketeers. Then, I realized ... probably nicknames.

AG Princess
Great Job .... good way to kick things off. If we don't see you before you go, have a great trip! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back!

Amy

1984, Disneyland
1988, WDW - Off Property
2002, Polynesian
2003, Polynesian
2004, Off Property
2005, POFQ
2008, Off Property - All Girls Trip
Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #9
BriarRosie
Clap your hands loudly
Tags shall be granted

Wow, I'm impressed that you even took the AP Physics test, let alone failed it! Every once in a while we all need a great failure in our lives.

The Poly shirt is cute!

I say skip the morning tshirt and wear the 'Munks shirt all day. There's no need for you to change clothes, and I know the giant rodents will be even more bonkers when they see your shirt. Just tell one of them "You're my favorite" and watch the other get jealous.

And I've seen those flip flop Crocs, but I hadn't gotten any. I have hot pink monstrously huge Crocs. My feet look like I should be looking for a tiny VW for me and 20 of my closest clown friends.

And woohoo! I'm finally smarter than someone else in Northern IL!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

disneyaddicted...Flip Flop Crocs are IMNSHO super duper comfy. I'm not exactly qualified to say (since I've never worn regular crocs for an extended amount of time), BUT I think flip flop crocs are just as comfortable...and funner to say...

crgfsu1...Welcome aboard!!

aspcamhreditor2...yeah...maybe I should've been more clear about the nicknames. Even Betsy is SO much of a literary dork she'd name one of her sons D'artagnion. Isn't it too bad I didn't have four other sisters, though? Then I could've done Jane, Lizzie, Mary, Kitty, and Lydia for nicknames...sigh...

BriarRose...Are you suggesting I turn the chipmunks against each other?!?!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
TAEMom
Mouseketeer

You give me hope for my daughter AGPrincess! She is 11 and tends to look at me like I've lost my mind every morning when I excitedly tell her how many days are left until our trip. She rolls her eyes when I show her my purchases and tell her how perfect they'll be for Disney. And she sighs when I ask what she is most excited to do while we're there. But maybe, maybe she is just being 11 and will eventually come around to my way of thinking, right?? Did you always love Disney or did you used to find your mom to be a total embarrassment too??

Love your report and your writing style. Look forward to reading more.

October 1999 - All Stars Music - My very first trip to WDW
June 2003 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
July 2005 - Offsite at Disneyland
June 2007 - Beach Club
February 2009 - Pop Century
Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
BriarRosie
Clap your hands loudly
Tags shall be granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post
BriarRose...Are you suggesting I turn the chipmunks against each other?!?!
Absolutely! The are hyperactive during "slow" times. Imagine what they'd be
like if you added your own drama.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #13
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

TAEmom...Glad you're enjoying the pre-TR!

I would say that I wasn't AS excited about Disney when I was 11 as I am now. Getting older has made me appreciate Disney World more. And I used to be embarassed by my Mom a lot more...especially when she'd make us stop and wait so she could take a picture. Now I'm like..."Mom! This would be the perfect shot for my scrapbook! Quick! Take my picture!" lol...

And okay BriarRosie...add 2 parts Disney chipmunks, one part t-shirt w/ said chipmunks, one part character meal, and plenty of drama...what do you get? We'll have to wait and see...lol
Old 05-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
kenyadh
Mouseketeer

A girl after my own heart

Gotta love ya Emma! Going shopping for accessories and shoes and handbags and clothing and coordinating them for when and where to wear them. You are right up my alley. Though I stay a little light on the accessories wearing the basic pieces that I don't have to change everyday.

Kenya
Old 05-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
lazidazi07
Mouseketeer

Love your trip report, sassy girl! I, too, up to three months before the trip go into "Disney shopping" mode. Anything and Everything I spot in Target is evaluated to see if I "need" it for my Disney trip. Good for you for even taking the AP exams, I took AP classes my freshmen year and that lasted...a year. Cant wait to hear the trip report when you get back!

june 2012 - planning!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: