Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

Party at the Poly-Our first trip report-LAST ENTRY-5-21-07-page 4

Alright – I’ve never done anything like write a trip report before. I barely wrote book reports in school. But, I’ve gotten so much from reading on the Disboards that really benefited us on our trip and the trip itself was so incredible, that I thought I’d give a report a try, both for posting here as well as just to have something to always remember how great the trip actually was. So here goes…

Who (the names have been changed to protect the innocent and not so innocent):

Me – 40 years old – went to WDW several times as a kid with family, and then skipped several decades till we started taking the kiddos. Severe case of OCD, which works great for planning WDW trips. In addition, I have been told that I have limitless energy, which works great in implementing WDW trips!

DH – Ray – 46 years old – pretty much same WDW history as me. He always stayed at the Poly as a kid, so that’s where we always stay now. No OCD, not nearly as much non-stop energy/craziness as me, but that’s what makes us do well together. We’ve been married 14 years.

DD – Danielle – 10 years old – High energy, fun girl, proud of being a “tween”. Loves to bring her favorite dolls and stuffed animals to WDW with the hope that Mousekeeping will arrange them in fun ways while we’re gone. (It happened most days this trip, though we didn’t get any towel animals.)

DD – Jodi – 8 years old – Very cool, laid-back kid with lots of deep thoughts. She takes after Ray in that she enjoys relaxing more than her sister and me. A great collector of anything collectible – stickers, Star Wars stuff, rocks, you name it she’s got it.

My brother – Earl – 34 years old – Great guy – we are exceptionally close. This is our first trip to do together with our kids, but we knew it would work out great. We are lucky to live near each other in the town where we grew up, so we spend a lot of weekend time together with all the kids.

SIL – Leigh – 35 years old – Very fun. She and Earl had their 7-year anniversary on the last day of our trip. Leigh and I have a lot in common – lots of energy, lots of planning, lots of excitement. She and I started working together on this trip last August. She and Earl had been together to WDW a couple of years ago on business, but this is their first time to take any kids, which takes us to…

My nephew – Evan – 4 ½ years old. Adorable boy on his first trip to the World. He is BIG into Power Rangers, so that was definitely going to be a big thrust of their trip. He is very much adored by his cousins. We were all so excited about getting to see WDW from the eyes of a little kid again, and he didn’t let us down!

(And, last but definitely not least, little Elise – 1 year old. A sweetheart of a girl, but alas, she didn’t get to go. Everyone has differing opinions about this issue, but Earl and Leigh decided that she would have to wait until she was a little older for her first trip, a decision I fully endorsed. She stayed home with two sets of adoring grandparents.)

When – May 2-6, 2007

Where – The two families split up – we stayed at the Poly, GV concierge, and they stayed at the WL. While I’ll obviously have a lot more to say about the Poly than the WL, feel free to fire me questions about either resort – I’ll get any needed intel from Leigh about WL. (For the record, they loved it and would definitely stay there again!)

Day One – Wednesday, May 2 – We’re all on the same early morning flight. Somehow, the planets must have aligned perfectly, because the travel went off without a hitch. It was Evan’s first plane ride (at least that he could remember – I think he went on one before), so he was quite the ball of excitement. We were all sitting near each other, so my girls had lots of fun checking out Evan’s reactions to everything. We landed at MCO right on time and took the tram to the main building. Then, down the escalator, where we happily found our driver waiting on us. We used ****** and it was perfect. Our driver was a very nice guy who helped us get a porter and then went to get the van. I just love it when someone’s waiting for you when you arrive. I know we could have done it cheaper (free!) if we had used Magical Express, but getting our own transportation has always worked out great for us, so why stop now? Plus, with two families, it was very reasonable. I’d definitely use ****** again.

Jodi in the van

After a quick stop at the Publix (thanks, Leigh, for not killing my husband by shopping for the full 30 minutes! ), we were off to the resorts. First a stop at the WL to drop off Earl, Leigh and Evan (who we heard as he first walked into the WL saying, “Where are the toys?”), then on to the Poly. We just absolutely love it there. We were greeted by the bell staff with all the right “Aloha’s”, then whisked off to Hawaii via the fun golf cart thing, where our room was ready, and it wasn’t even 11:00 a.m.! I did try to upgrade to LV, having changed my mind about the view in the last couple of weeks, but they had 2 nights when it wasn’t available and I wasn’t inclined to change rooms mid-trip.

The room (1533) was perfect! (Well, almost perfect – it had a few issues (wobbly shower head, leak in sink that they quickly fixed – problems that weren’t big problems.) We’ve stayed there before, but not since the renovation, so we were delighted. It didn’t occur to me that I didn’t take any pictures of the room till right now as I’m writing this, but the good news is that the room looked exactly like all the pictures of Poly rooms I’ve seen all over the internet, so you can figure out what it looks like. It was our first time to be on the first floor and we really loved having the patio. No more second floor for us!

I really felt compelled to go ahead and unpack as I can’t stand to have suitcases laying (lying? I never could figure out which one it is) around, but I tried to restrain myself so we could start having big fun. Plus, Ray was hungry and everyone else was rapidly getting that way too. So, off we go on a monorail ride to the MK! The girls have their pin lanyards ready to go and these hats we got this year. Danielle’s is just plain white, but Jodi’s is this odd thing I got at the Target that, unfortunately, covers too much of her face. I regret not figuring this out for all our Photopass pictures till the last day or so. Here are my girls and me as we arrive, thankfully with no hats!

Note the Baggalini – I guess now is as good a time as any to fill you in about that. Thanks to several recommendations here, I got one from Amazon, about $30, and really loved it! It was just the right size. In past trips, I have carried more to the parks than I did this time, mainly due to having a smaller bag this time, but that really was a good thing! After 9 months planning (including Disboards, TGMike, the EZ Fun Guide, etc.), do I really need to lug my big ol’ Unofficial Guide with me every day? Apparently not, and not having it was quite liberating. Plus, my index cards with all my important info fit perfectly, plus my phone, Blackberry (not used for work this trip, but rather to communicate with Earl and Leigh), wallet, camera, and everything else I couldn’t live without. I will note, though, that while I loved the Baggalini, it didn’t work out so well for Leigh. It didn’t fit her right (maybe because she’s shorter than me?) and didn’t hold all their stuff – they had a change of clothes for Evan that apparently took up too much room. Other than Leigh’s discontent, the only negative I would say about the bag is that the metal buckle right above the cell phone holder part hit right on my collar bone. It was fine the whole way through until our last day, when it really started hurting. Up until then, though, it was perfect for me, and I’ll definitely be using it again!

After an almost walk-on ride on Splash Mountain (really – there was hardly any wait and it was noon! I love early May!),

we did lunch. I had heard good things about Pecos Bill’s and it didn’t disappoint. Very good “fixins” bar, by the way. Jodi was happy with her lunch

while Danielle was more concerned about planning our next move.

Then, off to BTMRR with our FPs. We probably could have just skipped doing the FP as the line wasn’t long, but it worked out fine. Then, we hit the Haunted Mansion, which we all love. Again, no line at all. Then we headed to the biggie, at least for Danielle – Space Mountain! On the way I tried to get them on IASM, but my girls have decided they won’t fall for that again. Even though Danielle loves dolls, they’re both so down on having that song sung to them time after time, I don’t think I’ll ever get them back in there! We also thought about riding Peter Pan, but the line was too long.

Anyway, we get to Space Mountain and … drum roll, please … WALK ON! Again, I loooooooove early May! It was Jodi’s first time to ride it. Her first two trips she was not up for the daredevil stuff, but now that she’s practically an adult at age 8 , she was up for the challenge. I wouldn’t say she loved it, but she didn’t hate it either. Then, it was time for some ice cream (had to start using up those snack credits! ) and then on to Buzz. Again, little to no line. Ray won the family point contest by a mile, as he always does.

After so much good luck on our first day, we didn’t want to jinx our good luck any more so we headed back to the Poly for one of our favorite vacation activities: POOL TIME! But before I get to the pool time, I’ll tell you that I forced the family to ride the boat back to the Poly. I’m mean that way. They love the monorail and I do too, but last trip we never took the boat and I love the water, so I forced the issue this time. I promised them it would be the one and only time we’d ride the boat, and I meant it. But, fate actually had another plan. : (Stay tuned for more on that one!) Anyway, we got back and suited up. Gotta love the volcano pool! It was busy, but not packed, and we were lucky to get to a shady table at just the moment someone else was leaving it. So we played for quite a while, feeling very proud of having so much fun time on a travel day. Then, the girls and I cleaned up and headed to the GCH for one of their other favorite vacation activities: gift shop time. . Interestingly, this is Ray’s least favorite vacation activity, so therein lies the rub. How to juggle two girls that, maybe just because they are girls, have a serious need to shop and spend some of the money they’ve been saving for most of a year, and at the same time keep DH happy? I tried to find the answer this whole trip, but didn’t, so if you know make sure to tell me! Anyway, we hit both Poly gift shops for a while and then checked in for our dinner at ‘Ohana. Since Ray had now arrived and it was going to be a while for our table (we were a little early for our ADR, but people were already waiting), Ray and I hopped up to the bar for a quick drink before dinner.

When it was our turn, we were seated at a great window table. Our waiter (Ron?) was great and very sweet to the girls. He even got Danielle excited about participating in the coconut races, and she’s usually not into that stuff anymore.

The food was very good and I’m very glad we ate there, but it probably won’t become a must-do restaurant for us every trip. Of our four big dinners, ‘Ohana ranks fourth, but only because we ate at some incredible places! Anyway, very happy with our dinner, we headed back for a night swim.

After that, we had dessert in the concierge lounge (love Chef Dick’s desserts!), had one more glass of wine, and then hit the hay, dreaming about a magical day on the horizon.

Up next: Now which park were we going to today??
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!

Last edited by lklasing; 05-21-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Great start to your trip report! I love the Polynesian and can't wait to stay there again. How awesome you had walk-ons to some of the big attractions. And of course, I love the pictures (best part of any trip report!).
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Great pictures.
Quote:
Note the Baggalini – I guess now is as good a time as any to fill you in about that.
I have the same bag. I put my cell phone in the little zipper area, where I see a piece of paper sticking out of yours. My dh slung it over his shoulder, when I didn't want to carry it, especially when he loaded it down with his diet dew.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Great start to your trip report! I love the Polynesian and can't wait to stay there again. How awesome you had walk-ons to some of the big attractions. And of course, I love the pictures (best part of any trip report!).
It really was great getting on to the rides so easily. The further we got into the trip the longer the lines were, but I was just amazed that in the afternoon we had such good luck on our first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Great pictures.
I have the same bag. I put my cell phone in the little zipper area, where I see a piece of paper sticking out of yours. My dh slung it over his shoulder, when I didn't want to carry it, especially when he loaded it down with his diet dew.
I actually kept my phone there too - the zipper pull looks like paper sticking out. It was great having it there - it was the only way I had a chance to hear it when it rang!
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Hollywoodhaha
After all this time? Always
Mad Hatter It's a love story, Baby just say yes

Love your TR

Update Soon!

WDW College Program Alumni: Spring Advantage 2012 merchandise & Fall 2013 Space Mountain

Old 05-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

great start!
Looks like your trip started on the right foot.
cant wait to hear more
Old 05-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Dicecatt
DIS Veteran

Great report! I am picturing the Poly...heaven!

So...do you regret not upgrading to LV? I am debating, but I'm just not feeling good with dropping $1000 more for the view...we had GVC last year and just watched the fireworks from the beach. Geez, I think I am answering myself on weather to upgrade or now
Old 05-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
swillis
"Make your next dog a Blue Dog!"

Great report...looking forward to more!

KOTS
Old 05-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Caitsmama
Closet Hannah Montana Fan!
am planning on getting at least one more

Great TR so far, thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Mom2CJ&Kitty
Mouseketeer

I'm in... can't wait to hear more!

Our 1st Trip - June 11-15 '07 POFQ
Aug 2011: 4 days POFQ & 4 days on the Dream

Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
lklasing

Thanks to everyone for posting! I'm glad you are enjoying the report - it was such a great trip I just had to give this a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicecatt View Post
So...do you regret not upgrading to LV?
Honestly, I did really wish I had booked LV, especially when we first got there. However, we enjoyed the fireworks from both the beach and the lounge, and both spots are great (the lounge even pipes in the music and dims the lights - very fun!). While we were there, I told DH that next time I'm just going to book LV from the beginning. Now that we're back, though, and I have over $400 I wouldn't have had otherwise, I'm not sad. There are people, though, that totally swear by LV, and I've never had it so it might be that I just don't know what I'm missing.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
lklasing

Day Two – Thursday, May 3 – This was our designated Epcot day. We all love Epcot, especially the usuals – Soarin’, TT, M:S (okay, I’m kind of a wuss on that one but was up to trying it again) – so we were ready to roll bright and early. Jodi enjoyed answering the wakeup call, and after breakfast in the concierge lounge (plus bacon and sausage from Captain Cook’s), we walked to the TTC to grab the monorail. It was about 8:20 and an early entry day for the MK, so there were several groups that were obviously staying off-site sitting around waiting to be let into the monorail/ferry area. Happily, we didn’t have to wait with them and entered the transportation area heading toward the monorails, when we were approached by a CM who I immediately recognized as being on the Dream Team! He asked us to follow him, which we of course did. My mind was racing – we were clearly getting something, but I had no idea what! (I will admit that the thought of spending the night in the castle crossed my mind, but I quickly banished the thought.) Ray and the girls were excited too, although they really weren’t tuned into the YOAMD thing like me, as I hadn’t wanted to get anyone’s hopes up. Anyway, he finally tells us that we were going to be the day’s “First Family” and were getting a private boat ride to the MK! It was very cool! We were presented a certificate with our name on it and they took our picture in front of the boat before we took off. (I know I still have that poloroid somewhere, but can’t find it. )

Anyway, we were all very excited, but of course my mind was going crazy with, “…but we’re going to Epcot…” thoughts! But, I just stayed quiet and off we went to the MK in a very cool boat all to ourselves! (Remember how I promised my family the day before that we wouldn’t have to ride the boat again? They of course reminded me several times, but they were thrilled with the ride. )

When we were almost there, our driver Cole turned the boat around backward and stopped it, and took our picture with the MK behind us.

It was really incredible. So then, there we were, at the MK totally unexpectedly, and already having had a great day at 8:30!

I have to say here that my mind was really going bananas with thoughts about how we were at the early entry park and we didn’t even get there at opening, how we were supposed to be at Epcot, how we were planning on doing our big MK day on Saturday when we had ADRs for CRT breakfast, etc…. But, I am proud that I squelched all those thoughts and was able to just ask everyone what they wanted to do (as opposed to what I had planned to do) – stay at the MK or go back to the original plan and head on to Epcot. Of course, they all opted to at least play at MK for a little while. So, in we go, feeling very special. We eventually decided that we would do Space Mountain and Buzz again and then maybe head on over to Epcot. So, we head to Space Mountain where there was virtually no line and ride for our second time this trip. Once again, Jodi did fine, but afterward she declared she had had enough of that ride for this trip.

Next, we got in line for Buzz, and again were happy to not have any significant line. But, the line was moving slower than usual and there was a commotion toward the front. As we got closer, I could tell what the commotion was – they were giving away Dream Fast Passes!!! I was so nervous about whether we were going to get one I almost didn’t make it, but when we got there, she still had a pile and we all got one! Yay! I couldn’t believe our luck! We were supposed to be doing Epcot and here we were, in the MK after a private boat ride there, getting Dream Fast Passes! Here’s us with our new FPs (Ray says I got the “crazy eyes” in this picture.)

Well, that obviously cinched it – there would be no Epcot for us today! We decided to ride every FP ride we wanted and if there was anything left, we would give it away. So that’s exactly what we did. We did Stitch (but didn’t even use the FP as there was no line and we wanted to save it), then after a drink break,

started back with the rides. I had talked to Leigh and Earl by then and found out they had 10:05 FPs for Peter Pan, so we hooked up with them and all went together. My girls were delighted to have Evan sit between them on his first time on Peter Pan. Afterward, it was clear we were going in different directions. But, I was able to break off the tabs for Pooh and Buzz from our FPs and gave them to Earl to see if they would be able to use them. I figured it would either work or not work, but there was no loss if it didn’t as we wouldn’t be going back that way. Happily, they were able to use both and they said it really helped their day.

We then hit Splash Mountain and BTMRR and had a great lunch at Columbia Harbour House. The upstairs seating was great. We were all getting tired and hot by then, and even though we still had several FPs left, we decided to head on back and have more pool time. But, we weren’t going anywhere till we put the remaining FPs to good use. So, as we walked down Main Street, we kept our eyes open for the right party of 4 to give them to – we wanted it to be someone without kids too small, since the biggie FP of all – Space Mountain – was still on the necklaces. We found them – a family of four with two girls about our girls’ ages – and they seemed quite delighted to receive them! They would now be able to go on Space Mountain, Stitch, Jungle Cruise and one more (I can’t remember!) without waiting in line. Very cute family and it was very fun to get to share! Giving them the necklaces really was one of the highlights of our trip.

Next was pool time again – always a big hit with my family. Until I started going to WDW with my girls, I would have never thought that swimming could be so rejuvenating, but it really is! We all felt rested and relaxed, and ready for our next adventure: California Grill!

We all had reservations at the exact same time for California Grill, although it was two different reservations. Honestly, Leigh and I didn’t plan it that way (I know Ray and Earl don’t believe that we didn’t plan it, but it’s true!), but it worked out that we were all heading there for 6:10 ADRs that night under two different names. Right before the trip I figured this out and tried to get the two ADRs combined into one, but they said they didn’t have any flexibility as they were fully booked. They did say, though, that they would try to seat us near each other.

When we got there (after riding the elevator for a while trying to figure out how to get up there ), we were blown away by the ambience. It is an absolutely stunning restaurant with incredible views. That is really the kind of place Ray and I love eating in, and the girls were even pretty impressed. We were even more excited, though, when we saw where we were sitting – in the table right next to Earl, Leigh and Evan! They obviously noted my request on the reservation when I called, because there is just no way that happened coincidentally when the entire restaurant was full. Regardless, there we were with them, and we were all very happy with the tables.

The food – where do I start? It was incredible! Once I was told it was made from whole wheat, I had to order the mushroom flatbread as my appetizer. Oh. My. Gosh. I’ve never had something so good. Everything that everyone had was great, but everyone agreed that the flatbread won the best dish hands down. The wine was great, the entrees and desserts were great, but I’d kill for another piece of the flatbread! After the meal, we all went out on the observation deck and enjoyed the view, and although we were way too early for fireworks, we had a great time.

After dinner, we all thought about going back to the MK to catch SpectroMagic, but Jodi was tiring, so she and I headed back to the Poly for some fun on the beach.

Jodi really loved the Electric Water Parade. Ray and Danielle did go to the MK, but wound up coming back when some big lightening bolts struck just as they were about to get in line for Splash Mountain.

Afterward, we again had dessert and drinks in the lounge and caught Wishes and then, fully exhausted, satiated, and pleased with our day, we went to bed, looking forward to our day on Friday at Animal Kingdom!

Next up - We couldn’t possibly do three parks in one day, could we?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #13
Caitsmama
Closet Hannah Montana Fan!
am planning on getting at least one more

Wow! How awesome for you guys!!! A boat ride and fast passes! But, the best part i like, is when you said that giving the remaining passes away was one of your highlights --- now we get to feel how the CM's do! LOL Isn't it just as fun to share a good treat! Good for you!!!

I am loving your TR... Living thru your family til november! LOL
Old 05-13-2007, 06:02 AM   #14
Poppinsme
I LOVE SMILEYS

I'm really enjoying your trip report. Thank you! We are staying on our trip LVC and we cant wait.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #15
Kim321
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying your trip report immensely! Keep it coming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: