Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
TraceyL
Always planning........
I'm a very patient Welsh believer!
Did you know that one of the TF's is part Welsh, Tracey? :)

OrlandoBelle - (almost) Live From Orlando ! Week 3

Just wanted to post a quick update as I've been too busy to post reports this week.

We've been blitzing the Disney Parks this week whilst the crowds have been low.

More excitingly we did Discovery Cove on Tuesday. What can I say but WOW ? The place is amazing, we all had a fantastic day and didn't want to leave. Well worth the expense.

The weather has improved greatly & is set to continue

Shoe count is now up to 15 pairs

We fly home on Saturday & I'm planning to take the girls to Universal by myself tomorrow (they want to ride MiB a few dozen times

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some pics to go on with...

Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter
Christmas 2012 OKW/Bahama Bay - Solo!!

TraceyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
TraceyL
Always planning........

Discovery Cove Apr 24

OK, I'll fill in a few blanks

Discovery Cove - Tues 24 Apr

I had kept this a secret from the girls until a few days earlier when they freaked in the 'Shark' lagoon at Typhoon Lagoon I had visions of us going and them refusing point blank to go anywhre near the water!

We arrived just before 8:30 and didn't have to wait too long to be checked in. I presented our confirmation, ID & credit card and we had our pics taken for our ID passes. We were allocated a swim time of 10:30 at the Starfish Cabana whch was ideal. Off to the next desk to pick up our passes which had maps attached on lanyards.
Next through the reception area and out to have our family picture taken before meeting our guide for a tour and briefing.
We opted to get our wetsuits/etc sorted first - Steve & I decided on vests (water was 76 degrees) and got wetsuits for the girls which they loved

Stowed most of our stuff in a locker and grabbed a couple of loungers between the resort pool & dolphin pool before heading off for breakfast. Pastries, muffins, yoghurt, juice & coffee went down very nicely!
The girls tried out their snorkels in the resort pool and before we knew it - it was time to go for our swim. We watched a brief video in the Cabana before going out to be introduced to our trainer - Skip. Now I have to be honest, I wasn't all that keen on doing the dolphing swim and almost didn't book for myself but decided it woul dbe better if we all did it so one of us could concentrate on Annabelle (she's only 6).
There were 8 of us all together (the 4 of us plus 2 couples) and we were soon heading into the water to meet Jen, our other trainer and Cindy our dolphin. The water was nowhere near as cold as I was expecting & I was fine in the vest. Annabelle couldn't touch the bottom even on the ledge so Steve had to hold her but neither her nor Rachelle had too much problem with the water temp.
The next 45 minutes were magical! The girls were so excited and were not at all apprehensive and were chatting continuously with both the trainers. When it came time for the deep water tow, Rachelle & I went out first. I got to go first so Rachelle could see what was going to happen but we needn't have worried - she was fine. Cindy is an ex 'show' dolphin from Seaworld and then decided to show us a few unscheduled tricks so we switched dolphins to Lester - a huge male. Steve & Annabelle went out next and (surprisingly) she stayed out with Skip whilst Steve did his swim before it was her turn. Well, you should have seen the grin on her face! Ear to ear
The other couples had their turn and we got to meet another dolphin - Hutch as Cindy was still doing her own thing.
Finally one of the other girls was 'chosen' to play with Ciindy to demonstrate how they like to play with toys. She took a buoy off the dolphin to find 'will you marry me?' written on it. Initial confusion before the penny dropped ... aaaawwwwhhhh.
We had a final chat with the trainer before going off to view our pictures (which we bought!).

We went and changed the girls' wetsuits for vests before going for a swim to waarm back up and visited the aviary before the birds had to much to eat.

By now it was lunch time - the choice was varied and the food good. Steve & I had salmon, the girls had chicken strips & mac n cheese. There was also a good selection of desserts, soft drinks & Bud.

We spent the rest of the afternoon wimming in the resort pool & the not-so-lazy river! There were plenty of snacks - I can recommend the strawberries & fruit punch before leaving when the park closed at 5:30.

It was worth every penny - for the whole experienc e- not just teh dolphin swim. It's a wonderful place to relax and get away from the hustle & bustle. Everything is provided, no lines and no stress
Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter

Last edited by TraceyL; 05-03-2007 at 12:10 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
spencem
Mouseketeer

Great DC photos. We went in Feb and I can still clearly see the look on my DS' face as he was towed in, like you say it was worth every penny.

Did you go in the reef pool and the ray lagoon?
Our three weeks of bliss photo trip report

spencem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
TraceyL
Always planning........

DH did but the air temp was quite high by that time and the girls did not want to go in (too cold!) so I stayed with them

Old 05-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Fantastic photos Tracey, DC is fabulous.

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great report and pics!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:21 AM   #7
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Lovely pics , this is something we haven't done yet as I think my 6yr old would probably freak

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
chriswol
Earning My Ears

Smile

great report and fantasic photos as a family we went to dicovery cove two years ago, i was the only one who swam with the dolphins as it was my 40 birthday treat. we are going back next year to disney and i am saving money like mad so we can all swim, my dd9 cant wait. i would say to anyone it is definitely worth it, and it was the best day of our hols, and somthing i will remember for a very long time
october 2011 Bestwestern Lakeside,kissimmee

chriswol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I still have the photo of dd and dh with their dolphin on my computer at work from our trip in 2000.

Great report

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Excellent
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
wils
Has had Capt. Jack Sparrow on her desktop !!??
Can't stop reading 'Lost' spoilers

Glad you had a great day

I was the only one who swam with the dolphin last time although DD was allowed in the water for a photo (she was just 2). Can't wait til the kids are old enough and we can all do it together - probably should start saving now!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

What a wonderful day, Tracey. We loved our dolphin swim - we had Hutch too! It truly is the most magical experience. Some lovely photos too, thanks for sharing.

Laur's
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: