Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #76
Renee1061
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to Ed on his first half-marathon. And congrats to you, Kathy, on finishing the 5K, even though you were sick!!

April 2006 - All Star Movies/ April 2007 - Wilderness Lodge/ Nov 2007 - CBR/ June 2008 - CBR/May 2009 - School Band Trip (Off Site)/ June 2009 - Poly/June 2010 - Off-site (Bonnet Creek)/August 2011 - All Star Movies/October 2013 - CBR/ My Trip Report: Wilderness Lodge, Here We Come!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #77
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Wow, I'm out of breath just reading your report, Karen!

Way to go, Ed!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #78
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Props...

Marion: as always!

Halloweenqueen: Wow! Only 3 wks left for you!

Renee: Thanks and thanks again! I just finished drooling over your Boma pics!

Goofster: Ed remembered a whole lot that I didn't. Not only do I have the effects of time to contend with; I've also got that blonde thing going on, you know!

TeamWeasel: Thanks! What on earth does your name mean??

MDF: Glad to have you back! Are you aware that other Dis-ers are GATing all over the place? I hope you've applied for a copyright!!

Solferino: It's great that your DH is taking up running.... better they run than run around, I say!

Kathy
Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #79
solferino
Doing the best I can
It's either an exercise of self restraint or pure insanity
In my world painters pants are cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post

Solferino: It's great that your DH is taking up running.... better they run than run around, I say!

Kathy
Hey, my DH is a ::cop: too He's been running a long time, but is a roadie at heart. (pretend this is human powered ) And you're so right! I'm glad our guys have healthy ways to deal with work stress.

Last edited by solferino; 05-16-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #80
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofster57 View Post
Great Update, Thanks

It appears like you and Ed are telling the same story

I wonder why Buzz and Linnie have such a problem doing that.
I'm in agreement with Goofster on all three accounts

I enjoyed the new style of reporting

Congrats to ED
Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #81
team weasel
Buddy of Buzz

My husband and I are cartoon fans and we loved this Cartoon Network cartoon called Cow and Chicken.

There was a substory in Cow and Chicken that was Weasel vs. Baboon.

When the Weasel would win, he would put his finger in the air and say "Team Weasel".

Some friends thought it was cute and dubbed us Team Weasel and it's stuck.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #82
Montana Disney Fan
GAT-Master Extraordinaire
A little off topic

Quote:
MDF: Glad to have you back! Are you aware that other Dis-ers are GATing all over the place? I hope you've applied for a copyright!!

It's good to GAT.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #83
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

Yea, Kathy. I can't believe you ran that with a cold!! Yea, Ed, a half marathon!! I am enjoying your style a lot.

First trip to DW June 1977, Dutch Inn with DH, DS8, DS6, DD4
July 1996, ASMovies; April 2002, ASMusic; June 2005, Coronado Springs;
May 5-12, 2007, Pop Century; May 30-June 6, 2010, Marriott Grande Vista;
First trip to DL Oct. 9-15, 2011 Anaheim Marriott

May 2007 Pre-trip and trip report: NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #84
KathyRN137

Arrow The Half-and-Half Report: Part 15

Still Saturday, 1/6/07

The first thing Ed did when we got back up to our room was to grab some zip-lock bags and fill them up with ice from the ice machine. The first thing I did was to flip on the A/C. Whew! He came back and sat down on the floor with his back up against the couch and iced his legs while I brought him some Aleve and a glass of water. He remained there for about 20 minutes or so, icing and watching TV. Eventually our growling tummies (and my gentle prodding) reminded him that we had plans for breakfast and he needed to tear himself away from the Law & Order episode that he had seen no fewer than three or four times already.

He groaned as he reluctantly pulled himself up off the floor and walked stiffly to the bathroom. “I’m old”, he said. “I’m hungry” I replied. “Hurry up!” He went in for a much-needed and well-deserved hot shower. I dumped the melting ice cubes into the sink and used a couple of the empty bags to seal up his running clothes so that our hotel room wouldn't wind up smelling like a men’s locker room. (Sorry, guys, but your stuff can get STINKY!!) Too bad I hadn’t thought of mailing myself a bottle of Febreeze ahead of time… definitely would have come in handy!

Afterwards, we took the elevator down to the main level and walked around past the lounge area to the Garden Grove. I originally planned to make an ADR, but had been informed by DD (Disney Dining) that the breakfast was usually a walk-up. We were seated immediately and were soon greeted by a very pleasant server whose name escapes me. I do recall, however, that she gushed appropriately when Ed informed her that he planned to “eat like a pig” because he had just finished running the half! Oh well, I shouldn’t tease him; after all, he earned those bragging rights!

It wasn’t surprising that the Garden Grove Café setting resembled a garden, or more specifically, a round sunny greenhouse several stories high that was full of plants and tall palm trees. Here we enjoyed yet another all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. Although we were both yawning uncontrollably by meal’s end, we happily left with full tummies and a couple of pieces of fruit “for the road.”

We backtracked our way up to our room, drew the room-darkening curtains and prepared for a little catnap. It was only 11:00am, but Ed had been up since 3:30 and we had a lot more planned for later today. I had decided that since we were here without the kids that we should do some of the things that we couldn’t when we were here as a family. One of those things was a couple’s visit to a spa, a rare treat that we had enjoyed here at WDW for the first time last year. It had been our very first weekend away together since we had the children. Ten years.…’nuff said. We deserved it!

Flashback to Last Year:

“A Spa?? Are you kidding??” had been my husband’s first reaction back then. “Men don’t go to spas!” Sigh. The whole Queer-Eye-For-the-Straight-Guy-metro-sexual phenomenon was completely alien to him. As far as he was concerned, shaving and a quick shower with soap and water, followed by some Right Guard under each armpit was all a guy needed in the way of skin and body treatments. How was I going to get my Mr. Macho into a fluffy white spa robe and slippers? I opted to play up the romantic aspect. After eleven years of marriage, a man will do practically anything if he thinks his wife considers it foreplay.

“First we’ll have a romantic Couples Massage at the Grand Floridian Spa, then a quiet dinner for two at Citrico’s” I sighed. “Then maybe a little walk on the beach before bed…..” He considered the possibilities for a moment; then he relented.

“Well, alright,” he said. “But they’re not going to use stuff that’ll make me smell like fruit for the rest of the night, are they?” He made a face. Then, he was struck with a horrifying thought. “I’m not gonna have a guy doing the massage, am I?”

“I don’t know,” I answered truthfully. “I suppose they will have both male and female massage therapists. If you get a guy, can’t’ you just pretend that you’re Sylvester Stallone in Rocky and Burgess Meredith is giving you a rub-down?” The look on his face told me that the imagery had not gone over well.

“Okay, when we check in, just tell them that you’d feel more comfortable with a female therapist. I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time they got that request.” I patted his arm reassuringly. “Besides, it’s a couples’ massage; I’ll be right there to protect you.”

When the time finally came, we checked in at the luxurious GF Spa and Ed was very happy to find that our assigned massage therapists were both female. Whew, that was a relief! We were each shown to our locker rooms/changing areas. There were also separate men’s and women’s steam rooms and whirlpool baths, so we each spent a little time apart relaxing before our treatment.

Eventually we were reunited in the couple’s treatment room, which was actually two treatment rooms with a divider pulled back. There were candles burning and New Age music playing softly in the background. We had a brief moment alone before the therapists came in. I did my best to keep a straight face when he confided that underneath his robe he was still wearing his swim trunks. He wasn’t taking any chances.

“How do you like it so far?” I asked, wondering if he was still feeling uncomfortable in the “girly-spa”.

“It’s really kinda nice,” he replied. “The facilities are great! I’m gonna try the steam room after this. There’s a bunch of regular guys ( ) that were in the locker room, talking about golf. And there was another dude who looked like a biker; he was all covered in tattoos. He’s the last kind of guy you’d expect to meet at a spa! We talked for a little while; he’s staying here with his family.”

Well, well. “So it wasn’t like the ancient Roman Baths after all, huh?”

The therapists came in and asked us a few preliminary questions; then it was time to make our selections from the menu of aromatherapy oils. Ed rolled his eyes. “Nothing too fruity, okay?” he mumbled.

“Most couples choose this one,” said one of the therapists, holding up a bottle of oil. “It's thought to have aphrodisiac qualities.”

“Hhyuuuhh?” (Think Tim Allen in Home Improvement.) “We’ll take it,” he said.

(End of Flashback)

Having been thoroughly convinced of the wonders of spa relaxation, Ed was in complete agreement a few months ago when I scheduled treatments for us at the Spa at Saratoga Springs for later that day. “Sport Massage to work out the toxins in the muscles” was planned for Ed and I was looking forward to a foot reflexology treatment. Mmmm. Getting my feet massaged for a whole 50 minutes. My feet could use it.

MY FEET! Oh my gosh! My feet! My feet were in terrible shape! I had planned to get a pedicure before we left for the weekend, but with my cold and all, I just hadn’t been able to do it. I looked down. Half the polish was worn off my toenails and my heels were as rough as sandpaper. Uggh. I couldn’t let someone work on these icky feet for almost an hour… it would be too cruel.

I called the spa to see if I could get a pedi prior to my massage, but they were all booked up. Hmmm. Wasn’t there a spa over at the Dolphin? Oh yes! The Mandara Spa. Luckily, they were able to give me an appointment for 1pm. We needed to be at SSR by 3:00. I could do that!

I couldn’t believe it. Me. Planning to indulge myself at two spas in one afternoon. It could only happen at Disney!

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 05-20-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #85
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:
He groaned as he reluctantly pulled himself up off the floor and walked stiffly to the bathroom. “I’m old”, he said.
awwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy
“I’m hungry” I replied. “Hurry up!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy=
(Sorry, guys, but your stuff can get [I
STINKY!![/I])

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Oh well, I shouldn’t tease him; after all, he earned those bragging rights!

Quote:
I did my best to keep a straight face when he confided that underneath his robe he was still wearing his swim trunks. He wasn’t taking any chances.

Quote:
I couldn’t believe it. Me. Planning to indulge myself at two spas in one afternoon. It could only happen at Disney!

Sounds like a perfect way to spend an afternoon!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #86
KathyRN137

Arrow Props

PittypatBR: Thanks for your kind words! Ed's making me plan a non-commando trip this November...eeek!

MDF: I miss your report, Buzz! Why don't you start a pre-trippie for October? Until then, I'll have to pull up your old one and start on that....

team weasel: I'm glad friends didn't start calling you two Weasel and Baboon; that could get awkward!

blue: Come on, girl! Doing anything at WDW is a perfect way to spend an afternoon!

Thanks, everyone, for reading!

Kathy
Old 05-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #87
Jake & Crew
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Still Saturday, 1/6/07

We backtracked our way up to our room, drew the room-darkening curtains and prepared for a little catnap. It was only 11:00am, but Ed had been up since 3:30 and we had a lot more planned for later today. I had decided that since we were here without the kids that we should do some of the things that we couldn’t when we were here as a family. One of those things was a couple’s visit to a spa, a rare treat that we had enjoyed here at WDW for the first time last year. and water, followed by some Right Guard under each armpit was all a guy needed in the way of skin and body treatments. I opted to play up the romantic aspect. After eleven years of marriage, a man will do practically anything if he thinks his wife considers it foreplay.

“First we’ll have a romantic Couples Massage at the Grand Floridian Spa, then a quiet dinner for two at Citrico’s” I sighed. “Then maybe a little walk on the beach before bed…..” He considered the possibilities for a moment; then he relented.

I called the spa to see if I could get a pedi prior to my massage, but they were all booked up. Hmmm. Wasn’t there a spa over at the Dolphin? Oh yes! The Mandara Spa. Luckily, they were able to give me an appointment for 1pm. We needed to be at SSR by 3:00. I could do that!

Kathy
Think I am going to start training for the 5k, seems like a small price to pay My other half has seen enough Law and Order for a life time, in fact he is watching an episode as I type this.....Disney Spa for Two is going to become a priority on our next trip!
4/08 BWV & OKW ~ 8/10 BWV & AKLV ~ 8/12 BCV & AKLV

Next Up: BWV + BCV + BLT with Grandparents ~ August 2014!!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #88
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:
blue: Come on, girl! Doing anything at WDW is a perfect way to spend an afternoon!
I can't argue with that Kathy
Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #89
LITTLEKID58
Platinum Castaway

Tfs
Old 05-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #90
Marion
Go Blue Jays!!
There's nothing I love better than seeing a man with a broom and yelling SWEEP! at him

Quote:
Hehehe.... you would also clean the house top to bottom first before letting a cleaning service in, yes?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: