Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #31
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Marion: Why, of course you can!

averril94: Made it!

Goofster: I didn't need the medics until after the run!

Kathy
Old 04-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #32
Marion
Go Blue Jays!!
There's nothing I love better than seeing a man with a broom and yelling SWEEP! at him

Congratulations Kathy!!! YOU are my new hero... good for you, completing that run feeling as poorly as you did!

And did I read correctly, your husband saying "Next year"??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #33
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Great going, Kathy!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #34
KathyRN137

Arrow The Half-and-Half Report: Part 7

Friday, 9:30am:

After delightfully long, hot showers, we dressed and went downstairs. We strolled over the bridge toward the towering pyramid of the Dolphin, stopping for a few moments near the dock to enjoy the view over Crescent Lake. A Friendship boat was just leaving to take guests to the Studios and the driver tooted the horn and waved to us. We waved back. On the opposite side of the bridge, the view was of the resorts’ sand beach and the pool beyond. The sky was rather hazy and it was getting quite warm, so the air conditioning felt good as we entered the “back” door of the Dolphin.

Other than a power bar pre-run and half an orange post-run, I hadn’t had anything to eat today, so there was a rumbly in my tumbly! We arrived right on time, checking in a few minutes before our 10 o’clock ADR.

Fresh Mediterranean Marketplace was not crowded at all. In fact, when the hostess showed us to our table in a quiet side room, there was only one other person there; a man who had finished his meal and was reading the paper! The walls were painted that sort of earthy orange-ochre color, and brightly colored tiles accented the buffet and cooking areas. Plenty of light streamed in through the windows and we settled in and took a look at the menu. Typical breakfast buffet offerings, for sure, but that was just fine with us!

Our waiter took our order: hot tea for me, coffee and tomato juice for Ed. We made our selections: Ed had a Western omelette that was whipped up especially for him at the omelette station, bacon, potatoes, and toast. I came away from the buffet carrying a bowl of fresh cantaloupe ‘n honeydew melon and a plate of Mickey waffles, made fresh while I waited. Yummy! Why is it that waffles always taste so much better when they come in the shape of a Mickey head?!

It felt so good to just sit there and relax; no rushing, no need to hurry up and get done because we’ve got things to do and places to see! We enjoyed our breakfast, but I couldn’t help thinking about the kids at home. Yes, it was nice to be able to have a pleasant, uninterrupted conversation with my husband. Yes, it was nice to be able to sit through an entire meal without getting up and down five times. “Mom, can I have some more macaroni? Are there any more green beans? I want a drink of water, pleeeeeeese!” …..Or having to deal with, “Mom, do I have to eat the little green things (peppers) in the tomato sauce? What are they? Why do I have to eat the sauce? Can I have plain macaroni and just a little sauce on the side? Billy doesn’t have to eat the sauce, why do I?”…..Or having to keep my son from dropping half his food on the floor, and then having to keep the dog from eating it…..or stopping him from wiping his messy little hands on either his shirt, or on my shirt, or my kitchen curtains…… you get the idea! Just a nice, quiet, grown-up meal.

But, I missed them just the same.

We finished eating and then walked, hand-in-hand, back across the bridge to the Swan. Our running completed and our tummies full, we went back upstairs to the 12th floor and settled in for a little nap. The room was very quiet, and the heavy drapes, when drawn, blocked out every bit of daylight. Normally, I have a hard time napping, but not today! I drifted off to sleep, …..very…..easily….indeed.

Kathy
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #35
KathyRN137

Halloweenqueen: Thank you! (Yay me!)

Marion: Yes, you read that right! We're already registered!

Kathy
Old 05-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #36
mackeyapp
DIS Veteran

Congratulations Kathy!!!

Enjoying every minute of your adventure!!

You are a great storyteller

Joan
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #37
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Finally made my way over here.

Wow Kathy!!! Do you mind if I call you crazy?? Cause that's what I think about anyone who enjoys running

Good for you though, especially being sick and all

I know what you mean when you say you missed the kids just the same

Goofster: Married at 10 years old eh?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #38
KathyRN137

Joan: Thanks! More to come, soon.

Blue: Who said I enjoyed running?? Ed's the crazy one, not me!!

(I'll do just about anything for a trip to WDW!!)

Kathy
Old 05-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #39
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Blue: Who said I enjoyed running?? Ed's the crazy one, not me!!

(I'll do just about anything for a trip to WDW!!)

Kathy

That makes more sense!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #40
Montana Disney Fan
GAT-Master Extraordinaire
A little off topic

Wow!! Another trippie! You guys need to let me know when you're going to do these.

You were sick on the exact same day as I was!! We were "sicko" buddies!!

Excellent running pictures. We did the marathon weekend at WDW also back in 2005. I ran with my sister in the 5k and did pretty good. The characters were all lined up at the end and high fived us as we crossed the finish line. My time was 21 minutes and change. I was proud.

That's really awesome you guys ran the 5k together. Pooh-head would run but might take out a couple of her teeth or injur nearby athletes. She's a touch top -heavy.

I don't remeber the hand washing stations and our 5k went thru Epcot. It's all a lot of fun. I'd like to do it with the entire family.

That was the last time I've run. My knees were starting to give out on my ragged body. Since then the only running I've done is when Pooh yells out "Dinner Time"!!

This is great Kathy but next time you start a new report, make sure to PM like blue did. It's the only way I'll find it.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #41
Goofster57
What if the “Hokey Pokey” really is what it’s all about?

Location: On the other side of that invisible line that I just can’t help crossing some times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_river View Post
Goofster: Married at 10 years old eh?
Ok you caught me, actually I was almost 11
Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #42
Goofster57
What if the “Hokey Pokey” really is what it’s all about?

Location: On the other side of that invisible line that I just can’t help crossing some times

Kathy & Ed,

I applauded you both..

Especially to you Kathy for doing it even though you were sick
Old 05-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #43
KathyRN137

Arrow The Half-and-Half Report: Part 8

Friday Afternoon, 1/5/07:

Well, I did warn you that I was writing this from memory and without the benefit of notes, so I must confess that I have made a time-sequence error in the report. Ed reminded me that before we took our nap, we had returned to the Wide World of Sports and has spent an hour or so there before returning to the Swan for our much-needed ZZZZs. And so, rewind!

Here we were, walking hand in hand back to the Swan but instead of going upstairs, we actually went to the convention center and picked up the bus to take us back to WWOS.

It was a quick ride over there since this time the charter bus only made one other stop at our sister resort, the Dolphin. The WWOS seemed just as crowded as it had the night before, perhaps because a lot of marathoners had only just arrived at Disney today. We didn’t have to pick up any packets, though, so we went straight to the Health and Fitness Expo so Ed could peruse the exhibits some more.

We wandered about the floor of the indoor stadium and looked at all the vendor’s wares. Runners were trying on shoes, sifting through racks of tech clothes, and talking nutrition supplementation with the various salespeople. Some were even stretched out on portable massage tables getting their preliminary rubdowns! Ed purchased a couple of pairs of cold weather running gloves (for Jersey!) and seemed to enjoy just seeing all there was to see. Not being a runner myself, though, I soon got a little bored. I mean there are only so many pairs of running shorts one can look at, you know. Especially when one does not even wear shorts! I told Ed to meet me by the Inspiration Station.

The Inspiration Station was a lone banquet table that was set up near the entrance to the bustling Expo area. Sharpie* had provided colored markers and small pieces of posterboard so that spectators could create inspirational signs for the races. This seemed to be the place where most of the non-runner parents were hanging out with their kids (who were probably as bored as I was). There were children bent shoulder to shoulder around the table, all intently working on their creations. There were even more children scattered around on the floor, content with any flat surface on which they could draw. I squeezed through the kiddie-crowd, carefully stepping over little arms and legs and fingers, and scored a couple of markers and a poster. That was the easy part. Now, to find a space in which to channel my muse…

Rather than taking a chance of being tripped over (and mindful that publicly sprawling out on my tummy on the floor was less than flattering at my age), I patiently waited until one of my junior colleagues completed his artwork and then slipped into the open spot at the table. I had my color palate of bright red and royal blue; now I needed to carefully choose my words of inspiration. The poster was not very large, about 10x13, and it already sported a yellow zig-zag border and, naturally, the SHARPIE logo in one corner. This would have to be short, sweet, and to the point. I began drawing balloon letters and filling them in carefully with my markers. A little girl about four years old was sitting next to me as I stood and leaned over the corner of the table. She looked over at my work several times as she labored over her own creation. Her little brows knit together in a slight frown as chubby fingers grasped the marker clumsily and tried her best to form the words that would spell our what was in her heart.

“Is your Daddy running, too?” she asked, shyly.
“No, not my Daddy, my husband”, I replied.
“Oh.” She bent her head over her work once more.

We continued drawing. I could sense that she was beginning to get frustrated with her progress and looked once more over at my sign, which was nearly finished, and then back at her own which, naturally, was looking like any four-year-old’s.

“Why don’t my letters look like hers?” she asked her mother. Before her mother could think of a response, I leaned over and in my best stage whisper told her that I was old and had been making my letters for a very long time. That’s why mine looked different. (But not much, I thought to myself!)

Her misgivings about her creation were soon erased when her daddy came along and told her that he loved it and would be sure to see it the next day. Hurrah for Daddy, he’s a winner already!

I turned back to add the finishing touches to my masterpiece. Then I heard Ed laughing. I looked up and he was shaking his head. “What are you doing?” he asked, wondering (I’m sure) why I was spending time at the kiddie table.

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m making a sign for the race tomorrow.”

“Well, let me see.”

“I only had two colors to work with….”

"Let me see it!"

“And it’s not very big, I wish I had thought of a sign. I would have made a nicer one at home….”

"Just let me see it, already!!"

“That’s sweet”, he said. “I’ll be sure to look for it tomorrow.”
Folks, we have another winner here!!

We stopped by the WDW merchandise area on the way out. Ed was still eyeing the Donald Duck Half Marathon “I did it!” tee-shirt. I could tell he really wanted it, but didn’t want to jinx himself. I came up with a brilliant idea.

“I’ll buy the shirt, that way you won’t be able to jinx yourself”, I said. Ed agreed that that would probably work, so he chose a shirt and I brought it to the cashier. On the way, I found a marathon weekend picture frame and I decided to get that, too. Then I saw the best thing yet… pins!

(If you read my last TR, you already know that my DD and I are real pin-collecting nuts.)

There was a pin for the Half and a pin for the Full. The half marathon pin was large and had the image of Donald Duck and “WDW ½ Marathon, January 6, 2007” on it. Donald is on the medal for the Half, Mickey is on the medal for the Full, and Goofy is on the medal for the Race and a Half Challenge. That’s for those that do the half marathon and then the full marathon the next day. (Appropriate, don’t you think?!) The pins were really nice, so I picked one up and showed it to Ed. “Why don’t you get one for yourself, too?” he said.

“Well, I’m not running the half-marathon, so why would I wear a half-marathon pin?” I replied. “That would be like, wearing a pin under false pretenses, or something!”

Ed rolled his eyes. “Just get it as a reminder of the weekend”, he said. I felt like I was making an illegal purchase, but I’m of the opinion that when a spouse says it’s okay to spend $$, you should just run with it! (No pun intended.)

We finished up at the Expo and then returned to the Swan where we enjoyed that lovely 2-hour nap!

Kathy

Next Up Magic Kingdom Lite

Last edited by KathyRN137; 06-05-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #44
Montana Disney Fan
GAT-Master Extraordinaire
A little off topic

Don't worry about notes. When in doubt, just make fun of your significant other. That's what I do

You know, I didn't get a pin for the 5k... not that I remember anyway. I did get a bottle of Gatorade and shin splints though. I guess that's better than nothing.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #45
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Not being a runner myself, though, I soon got a little bored. I mean there are only so many pairs of running shorts one can look at, you know. Especially when one does not even wear shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
“Is your Daddy running, too?” she asked, shyly.
“No, not my Daddy, my husband”, I replied.
“Oh.” She bent her head over her work once more.
awwww......that's so cute!

Quote:
Her misgivings about her creation were soon erased when her daddy came along and told her that he loved it and would be sure to see it the next day. Hurrah for Daddy, he’s a winner already!
Yay for Dad!!

Quote:
Ed rolled his eyes. “Just get it as a reminder of the weekend”, he said. I felt like I was making an illegal purchase, but I’m of the opinion that when a spouse says it’s okay to spend $$, you should just run with it! (No pun intended.)
I agree with DH - it is a reminder and you participated by supporting him

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: