Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #151
AlyssinWonderland
Lost in the Looking Glass

It sounds like your husband is great. I really admire someone who would involve himself in a barfight to help out the bouncers. Even if he is a policeman most of the ones I know wouldn't do that. Good for him, and good for you. I'm glad you had a safe night!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #152
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyssinWonderland View Post
It sounds like your husband is great. I really admire someone who would involve himself in a barfight to help out the bouncers. Even if he is a policeman most of the ones I know wouldn't do that. Good for him
He's Old School..... (And I'm very proud of my LT.)
He's picked up some funny habits from 25 years on the job:

*In restaurants, he will never sit with his back to the door.
*I often catch him scanning his surroundings.
*He will not lock the car door when we are driving somewhere, just in case he needs to jump out suddenly.
*If he does need to step out of the car, he always leaves his door wide open (habit so he wouldn't lock his keys in the patrol car.)
*He keeps emergency medical equipment in his truck "just in case."
*He never, never drinks if he is carrying.

You may not realize it, but there are undercover security officers in the parks at all times; most are retired cops. Ed can usually spot them! (Old habits/mannerisms die hard I guess!)

Kathy
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #153
KathyRN137

Arrow The Half-and-Half Report: Part 24

Epilogue:

I have decided that any trip report I write will not include a "Journey Home" Chapter. First, I find it somewhat depressing to watch all the happy, excited guests arriving to start their vacation when I am sitting glumly on a bench with my luggage waiting for transportation to the airport. I know you do, too. So why bring us both down? I like reports that end on a happy note.

Second, although the journey to WDW is always exciting because of the anticipation factor, the journey home is usually rather anticlimactic. This trip was no exception. So unless something really remarkable occurs at the airport or en route, I think I will just skip it. I hope you don’t mind.

Thanks, I didn’t think you would!

Instead, I’d like to review the positives (many) and the negatives (few) of our first-ever WDW Marathon Weekend and talk about our plans for future trips. Because as any good DIS-er knows, life is always better when there is another WDW trip on the horizon! We have our week-long family trip to look forward to in November, and Ed and I are already registered for the 2008 Half Marathon and 5K, respectively.

Let’s talk first about the Marathon Weekend, itself.

As fully expected, Disney did a fantastic job with the races. Packets chock-full of information were mailed to us ahead of time and even more info was provided at check-in, so we always knew the Where, When and Hows of the weekend events. The courses were “flat and fast”(that’s runners’ lingo, thank you) and there were plenty of refreshment and first aid stops. There was a ton of music and entertainment along the race routes, and where else could you stop and take a picture with Cinderella in the middle of a race? It was so encouraging to see so many CMs out there cheering us on and so amusing to see runners dressed in pirate costumes or dressed up like Disney characters. And really, how can you top running through a Disney theme park? You couldn’t ask for better scenery!

Oh, and the port-a-potties. Lots and lots of port-a-potties!

On the down side, the early morning charter bus transportation for runners who were resort guests was not well organized. We almost didn’t make it to the 5K start because of our driver and Ed had the same unnecessary agita prior to the Half-Marathon even though we gave ourselves plenty of travel time. I had reasoned that staying at an Epcot area resort would be a plus because we would be close to the 5K start at the Studios and the half marathon start at Epcot. In retrospect, it would have been less stressful to walk to the races!

This may have been a problem just for the Epcot Area Resorts (Swan/Dolphin/Beach Club/BCV/Boardwalk Inn/BWV); I really couldn’t say how bus transportation for runners and their guests was for the rest of the World. But it seemed downright silly to have buses stacked at the Swan and have each bus then stop at all the other resorts on the way to the race. I mean, I can see the Swan and Dolphin sharing, and maybe the Beach Club and the Boardwalk, but SIX resorts sharing one bus route? Ridiculous! It was my only complaint as far as event organization was concerned. If Disney is going to use complimentary transportation to the race as an incentive to stay on-site, they really need to ensure that it runs smoothly.

Of course, the “normal” theme park bus route for these resorts is similarly organized; something I never could understand! I feel that whatever benefit is gained by close proximity to Epcot and the Studios, and the ability to walk or boat to these parks, is cancelled out by the convoluted bus service to MK, AK, and DD.

Other than the bus transportation, however, we were more than satisfied staying at The Swan. It is a beautiful and well-appointed hotel. The room was clean and spacious, and the “Heavenly Bed” was, indeed, very comfortable! (Although that could become a problem on vacation…..how do you make it to the parks before rope drop if the bed is so comfortable you don’t want to get out of it in the morning?!!)

Nevertheless, despite the lovely bed and the deep discount, we will not be staying here next January. Instead, we’ll be using our value season AP discount at The Polynesian. Yesterday, I tried to make a ressie at the Contemporary, but it’s completely booked except for Club Level! ($$$) Wow, at seven months out! It's okay, though. Finally, Ed will get to stay on his beloved monorail line and I’ll get to experience the South Pacific, Disney style! Aloha, cousins!

(Better sign up for a few extra work jobs, Honey!)

And hopefully next time I won’t catch a cold just before we leave for the weekend. At least I didn’t make Ed sick! He would not have been happy about that, after all his training. As it was, he had a great first experience with a longer race. He set a goal for himself and he achieved it; I’m very proud of him for that.

Notice that the certificate is signed by Donald Duck!!

Some Additional (Random) Thoughts:

Crowds: Even though the resorts were booked to the max, I really didn’t notice any perceptible increase in crowd levels at the Magic Kingdom or at Epcot this weekend. It felt less crowded than I remembered from our family trip last November (Jersey Week). Perhaps a lot of runners go to the theme parks, but more for the atmosphere than for heavy touring.

Going Without the Kids: That said; I’m glad we were able to have some “couple time” at the World. It’s a completely different experience from the ones we have as a family. Ed and I are really homebodies at heart. (That’s a cute way of saying we don’t get out much.) Sometimes we go for months without going out on a date. I know, I know…that’s not good; but it’s the way we are.

I’m so grateful that my sister and niece were able to stay at our house for the weekend; Billy does so much better when he’s in familiar surroundings. And Aunt Rae, although she adores the kids, is really too old at age 76 to handle them for the entire weekend by herself. Hey, when Ed’s away I feel like I’m too old to handle them by myself! She’s also a tiny little thing and Billy can get quite physical. He can sometimes be like Bam-Bam from the Flintstones; he doesn’t realize his own strength! It was good to know that both kids were safe at home.

Sometimes I would forget, though, just for a split second. I would be walking along and suddenly let out a gasp and start to look around wildly for them, thinking they had wandered off! Then I would remember that they weren’t with us. Whew! And even though it was wonderful to be temporarily “free”, I still found myself missing them at every turn. Going home to them was the one an only good thing about leaving WDW.

Dining: “New” restaurants:

Yachtsman Steakhouse (dinner): Food Atmosphere Long wait for 7:55pm ADR.

Fresh (breakfast buffet): Food Atmosphere

Tony's Town Square (dinner): Food Atmosphere Seated early for 5:45 ADR

Garden Grove Cafe (breakfast buffet): Food Atmosphere

Raglan Road (dinner): Food Atmosphere (but noisy) Long wait for 8:30pm ADR

Teppanyaki Dining Room (dinner): Food Atmosphere Our chef was very entertaining. Long wait for 5:00pm ADR.

*** Two of our dinner ADRs were late, so the long wait was understandable, if not desirable. It’s one more argument for eating early. The long wait for the 5:00 ADR at Teppanyaki was not justified IMO, even though it’s a popular dining spot. So perhaps the Marathon crowds did affect the restaurants more than the attraction queues.

Other New Things We Saw or Did:

Cirque du Soleil: I’m definitely glad we finally got the chance to see this, and I’m glad we did it without the kids. Tricia (11yrs) would probably have enjoyed it, but Billy would not have been able to sit still for 90 minutes without a break. Will we see La Nouba again? Probably not, I think once is enough for me. But if we ever get the opportunity to see a different Cirque du Soleil show we will definitely take advantage of it. It was very entertaining.

Spa at Saratoga Springs: Okay, but I’ll stay away from reflexology in the future(!) It felt crowded; I liked the atmosphere at the Grand Floridian better.

Mandara Spa: Gorgeous, exotic lounge area. I only had a pedicure, but would love to try a different spa treatment here in the future.

Jellyrolls: More fun once the crowd picked up. A few rowdy patrons when we were there. Not so good for a “last night” choice; we were rather tired.

I’ll be planning fewer activities for us next time. I seriously underestimated the fatigue factor associated with getting up so early and participating in the races. I would say that I definitely over-planned our weekend. Doing the spa, Cirqu du Soleil, and a dinner out at PI the night of the half marathon was too much, even with a midday nap and sleeping in the next morning. Surprisingly, Ed disagrees.

“I really was fine until we got to Jellyrolls that last night,” he said to me yesterday when we were talking about 2008. “I just ran out of steam. I want to do stuff we can’t do when we have the kids with us.” Well, I wholeheartedly agree. But next year, I’m just going to bring it down a notch and plan a bit more relaxation time.

I think I like the idea of swinging lazily in a hammock and watching Wishes together from the beach at the Poly, don’t you? I thought so.

Thanks for reading and I wish you all the best,

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 06-24-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #154
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Another great coda to a fantastic trip report, Kathy!

I understand how you feel when the kids aren't around. I can't remember the many times I've had a panic attack when I go out alone and see an empty car seat in the rear view mirror! It is strange not having the kiddos near.

Here's to a fantastic trip in November! I hope your vacation goes slowly, so you can savor every moment! And I'll be waiting for the trip report! No rush.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #155
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Great trip report again. I really love your writing style. We will be at the World Jersey week too. Hope you have a great time!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #156
meghan74
Mouseketeer

Loved you report. My Mom and I are going to do the 1/2 marathon in January and I loved reading about your experience.

Oh, and this,

Quote:
*In restaurants, he will never sit with his back to the door.
*I often catch him scanning his surroundings.
*He will not lock the car door when we are driving somewhere, just in case he needs to jump out suddenly.
*If he does need to step out of the car, he always leaves his door wide open (habit so he wouldn't lock his keys in the patrol car.)
*He keeps emergency medical equipment in his truck "just in case."
*He never, never drinks if he is carrying.

You may not realize it, but there are undercover security officers in the parks at all times; most are retired cops. Ed can usually spot them! (Old habits/mannerisms die hard I guess!)
so reminds me of my DH (15 years on the job)! It sounds like our DHs have similar schedules because mine also works nights and every other weekend. They sure do pick up some quirky habits.

Thanks for sharing your story!

2007 Chicago Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon-3:12:59
Donald '08-3:07:57

Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #157
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

Great TR, Kathy. Thanks for sharing it with us. I really enjoyed it and look forward to more in the future! And you have that great family trip to look forward to now. I agree about the departure day - if we had left that off of ours it would have been much happier, so maybe I will do that in the future! I am jealous that you will be at the Poly!

First trip to DW June 1977, Dutch Inn with DH, DS8, DS6, DD4
July 1996, ASMovies; April 2002, ASMusic; June 2005, Coronado Springs;
May 5-12, 2007, Pop Century; May 30-June 6, 2010, Marriott Grande Vista;
First trip to DL Oct. 9-15, 2011 Anaheim Marriott

May 2007 Pre-trip and trip report: NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #158
KathyRN137

Arrow Props...

Pittypat: It's hard to write about something so... painful... Perhaps it's just a form of denial!!

Halloweenqueen: Thanks for all the good karma; I'm lovin' your TR, too.

mrsksomeday: Hey, you're not from Jersey! What are you doin' goin' that week??

Meghan74: Good Luck with the Half! Keep an eye out for my GO ED!!

Kathy
Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 AM   #159
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
mrsksomeday: Hey, you're not from Jersey! What are you doin' goin' that week??

Kathy
Well, it seems I have found one of the greatest men on earth. We went last year to Super Soap Weekend. So he said to me "that was a great time of year to go, why don't we go again"?

I am NOT passing up a Disney trip, especially one that we have decided to stretch to 10 days. This will be our 3rd trip in 21 months. The man wants to move to Florida. He has CP and his breathing is so much better in Florida, he also loves how warm it is there. I can't wait until November 5th!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #160
Goofster57
What if the “Hokey Pokey” really is what it’s all about?

Location: On the other side of that invisible line that I just can’t help crossing some times

Kathy,

Thanks for taking us along on your trip, I really enjoyed the ride.

Congratulations to you and Ed on your accomplishments with the races.

From your mouth to my wifes ears about the spending time with your spouse in the world, I really can't wait to do a trip like that.

Now when do you start the Pre-Trip report?

Were waiting.......
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #161
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post

I think I like the idea of swinging lazily in a hammock and watching Wishes together from the beach at the Poly, don’t you? I thought so.
Yes!!! I do too

Kathy,

Congrats again to both you and Ed with the marathon.

I enjoyed your report and look forward to reading more of your adventures the next time around
Old 06-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #162
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

What a great wrap-up to a wonderful report! I'm so glad you had such a nice time, and thank you for letting us share your fun!

It's so great that you and your DH are going to marathon weekend again next time...and you're going to have a great time at the Poly!!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #163
Montana Disney Fan
GAT-Master Extraordinaire
A little off topic

Teppanyaki is one of our favorites but since they don't serve fried chicken parts or pizza, we can't go with Moan Boy. About every other trip however, Pooh & I will make it there alone when we hire a babysitter for the kids. For me, it's really one of my favorite places. Pooh just goes to make me happy and prefers the Cal Grill.

Jelly Rolls is great but it's a total BAR atmosphere... kind of unlike Disney if you think about it. Bar brawls are always a pleasant treat but if you're tired from marathoning all week, I suppose it could be irritating.

The surrey bike that almost killed you could have been my family!! We're really outta control when we rent those things. We haven't ruined one though in years. I took 400 customers to Jamaica in December and rented a golf cart for the week to get around the resort. Unfortunately one night I might have had 12 too many drinks and accidentally lost the golf cart into the Atlantic Ocean... but that's a story for another time.

Kids or no kids... hmmmm.... tough call. We had a lot of fun without kids over the years but to tell you the truth, I can't even imagine being there with Pooh and not have our two little monkeys with us. That's why I go with my sister instead!

Moan Boy is off all meds. I'll PM you with the details.

Thanks for the report.

In November we'll both be hard at it again... kicking out trip reports. I'd like to go back for Marathon weekend sometime. Last time I was there the weather was fantastic and we really had a great time. I only did the 5k but it was fun to be part of the action. Anyone who runs would have a great time.

You'll love the Poly. It was the first place I ever took my wife on vacation and we've never looked back.

Happy Trails, MDF --->
Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #164
Marion
Go Blue Jays!!
There's nothing I love better than seeing a man with a broom and yelling SWEEP! at him

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us Kathy... thoroughly enjoyed the ride! I'm so excited to be going on our first trip to 'the world' and reports like yours are like a delicious appetizer

Thank you
Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #165
KathyRN137

Arrow Props...

Marion: I hope you do a trip report; you're such a great poster!

MDF: Buzz, I'm kinda sorry we won't be at the World at the same time; our families would really get along!

AGPrincess: Ahh, the Poly! I can't wait, especially after seeing all your great pics!

Blue: Thanks for coming along with me again! Hey, your August trip isn't that far off!!

Goofster: Keith, I won't be starting a pre-trip until August (at least.) I learned my lesson about premature trip reporting last time!! See you then, my friend!

mrsksomeday: Ten whole days! Perhaps you'll both have time for a Dis-Meet with us!

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: