Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #136
Goofster57
What if the “Hokey Pokey” really is what it’s all about?

Location: On the other side of that invisible line that I just can’t help crossing some times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Goofster: The perfect day leads to the perfect night!
You are talking about your night at Epcot? Right?

Quote:
On the second floor, at the top of a very long, very steep wooden staircase, was the entrance to the Teppanyaki Dining Room.
We have not tried this restaurant yet, we don’t really do Sea Food and Shivahn definitely doesn’t do vegetables so not sure if it would be worth the trip.

Quote:
“You’ve got to be kidding!” Ed exclaimed as he surveyed the steep ascent. (His leg muscles were still tired from yesterday.)

BLING! BLING!

Our eyes were drawn to the sound of elevator doors opening nearby. A family with a wheelchair guest exited the elevator and I sheepishly looked over at Ed.

“Do you mean to tell me that I could have taken an ELEVATOR??” he demanded. Ooops. I had to admit that I forgot about the existence of the elevator inside the department store. “Heh-heh, sorry honey!” I answered guiltily.

Sorry Ed, but this is hilarious,
When I first started reading this part I thought to myself good thing there’s an elevator, those stairs would be killers after running the marathon.

Quote:
but I just couldn’t, I felt too guilty
That’s too bad, you should have been able to enjoy the last of your meal.

Quote:
Ed began, but the ringing of his cell phone answered the question for me. It was a problem at work
Don’t you just hate that, I was on the deck of the USS Midway in San Diego on vacation and my phone rang and it was my work, finally 45 minutes later I got to get back to my vacation.

Quote:
Suddenly, Matsuriza, the Japanese drum group, appeared at the pagoda
I love to stop and listen to this group, there was one group that tried to make a go of it at Downtown Disney here in Anaheim, but people just didn’t seem to be interested in it.

Kathy,
Sounds like a perfect evening, well except for the steep stairs.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #137
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:

BLING! BLING!

Our eyes were drawn to the sound of elevator doors opening nearby. A family with a wheelchair guest exited the elevator and I sheepishly looked over at Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Ed was having iced tea. Plain old Nestea iced tea. I tried to suggest that he live dangerously and at least try an iced green tea, but he wouldn’t have any of that.
I just discovered iced green tea this summer and I love it!!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening.

I'm hoping you chose Pleasure Island over the jellyrolls
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #138
AlyssinWonderland
Lost in the Looking Glass

Wow you and your DH are seriously inspiring. I could never run while I was sick... (not that I run when I'm not sick ) Very awesome! Congradulations to you both. I love the picture of your DH and Donald with his medal! Sound like you had a great time. Thanks for writting!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #139
serendipity
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a wonderful evening. There really is no place like the world showcase in the evening, it's so romantic. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed your meal.
January 2008- Paris (with day trip to Disneyland Paris), Germany, Austria, Florence and Rome!!!/May 2007- Honeymoon at Disneyland and the great out west!/February 2007-Long weekend at POR/November 2007-Early Christmas at ASSp/WL/AKL/April 2006-Birthday celebration/1st trip with my husband at ASMo/AKL/1996-2000- Summers in Orlando every year to visit my Grandmother

Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #140
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Arrow Props:

Serendipity: You're the newlywed! If anyone knows about romance...

AlyssinWonderland: Welcome! Come on in!

blue river: Sorry to disappoint you, blue!

Goofster: I think Ed could get you a good deal on some body armor, gently used!

mrsksomeday: Hello again!

AGPrincess: Well, I'm no Jane Austen, but thanks!!

Kathy
Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #141
KathyRN137

Arrow The Half-and-Half Report: Part 22

Still Sunday:

Epcot World Showcase: 8:00pm.
Decision time: what to do next?

One of our options was a post race celebration being held that night at Pleasure Island between 7pm and 2am. All Marathon and Half-Marathon participants would be given free admission if they presented their race number at the ticket window and since I was Ed’s “guest”, my ticket would be half-price. A pretty good deal, yes?

And…. a pretty good chance that PI would be PACKED, yes? Hmmmm. Let’s think about this for a minute.

We had originally planned to attend the party. I was fully prepared to tackle the crowds if Ed wanted to go; my cold was practically gone and I’m a big Adventurer's Club fan. (Although I’m pretty sure that would need a separate ticket.) But Ed was beginning to express lukewarm feelings about the whole idea. Not because he doesn’t like to kick back with a beer now and then. It’s just…well… that he doesn’t like the thought of being caught in the middle of a crowd of rowdy, inebriated people (such as the two gals we had just encountered.) It puts him on alert and flips him into ::cop: “cop mode”, which is not where he wants to be on his vacation.

So, when he seemed hesitant about heading over to PI, I wasn’t entirely surprised!

We opted, instead, to continue our leisurely stroll around the lagoon and exit the park through the International Gateway. While waiting for the boat, we were able to make a call home to talk with the kids (“Kissy-Kissy!!”) and reassure ourselves that all was well on the home front. A short boat ride later, we found ourselves disembarking at the Boardwalk.

Funny, but the three or four times we’ve been here in the evenings, we’ve never seen any of the entertainers out entertaining! What did they used to call them? The Boardwalk Buskers, I believe. You see them in every WDW planning DVD!! You know what I’m talking about: the musician, the juggler, the magician, the man making balloon animals! Is it just me? Drat! I’ve never seen any of these performers on the Boardwalk! Well, we did see an artist doing caricatures for a fee, but for some reason I always expect more. Perhaps they don’t perform on Sunday nights….

Hmmm. Not too many people around. Oh, wait. There’s a whole lotta folks over at the ESPN Club. Ah,yes. Sunday night in January! It’s got to be football; and some sort of playoff game, to boot!

OT: I consider myself fortunate that I am not football widow; Ed watches baseball, hockey, and soccer…at least those sports I can understand! The only way I could ever halfway figure out what the heck was going on during a football game is when John Madden would draw those little circles and arrows on the screen! (Football for Dummies!) Anyway, after purposely avoiding the swarms at PI we weren’t about to try to squeeze our way into the ESPN Club. We headed in the opposite direction toward Jellyrolls.

Jellyrolls - a dueling pianos experience.
“Classic sing-along and good times await guests at the hottest dueling piano bar on the waterfront, featuring non-stop live entertainment in a rowdy, warehouse atmosphere.”

I had read some really great things on The DIS about Jellyrolls and was looking forward to checking it out. It sounded like fun! We could hear a piano rocking as we approached the club and once inside the first set of doors we were asked by a rather large and burly bouncer-type CM to provide a cover charge. (No one ever asks me to provide ID anymore…I wonder why??)

After stamping our hands, (Gosh, when’s the last time my hand was stamped? I am really getting to be an old fuddy-duddy!), he wished us a good time and opened the next set of doors that opened into the club.

If it wasn’t for the music pouring out of that piano, I’d swear you could hear the crickets chirping! There were only about ten people in the whole bar. And that included the waitress and the bartender!

“Well, honey, you did want to avoid the crowds,” I laughed as we surveyed the sea of empty tables from which to stake our claim.

The tables were set up on two levels; most were positioned on the sunken level that fronted the raised stage that was just large enough to contain the two baby grands. The back row consisted of taller tables with bar stools around them. Another group of tables stood above these on an upper tier that was about the same level as the stage. Even more bar stools were set up against ledges that encircled the room, and at several bars around the perimeter. It was the perfect set-up for a sing-along crowd.

“…rowdy warehouse atmosphere…” Uh-huh! Well, perhaps if a few dozen people showed up to round out the audience! We took a table about three rows back and off to one side of the stage, which stood in front of a mirrored wall. The two pianos faced each other and each one was topped with two glass bowls; one containing beverage napkins with requests scribbled on them and one containing the few tips that had been bestowed on the players thus far.

As soon as the one piano player finished his number, the other piano player launched into a rendition of American Pie by Don McLean. Things were looking up! That’s one of Ed’s favorite songs.

OT: Anything from the seventies is probably one of Ed’s favorite songs! (Well, except maybe if it’s by the Bay City Rollers or Bobby Sherman…but that goes back to that teenage girl issue….!)

I just went over to his CD collection and grabbed a handful of CDs. This is what I got:

-‘70’s Party Classics
- Pop Hits of the 1970’s
-‘70’s Radio Hits
- Casey Kasem Presents America’s Top 10: the 1970’s

Get the idea? (I mean, can you dig it, baby!) Even in the 70’s I didn’t listen to this much 70’s pop music! I love to bust his chops about it…

Here are a few actual selections from his ipod, see if any of you boomers remember these classics:

-Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) [Edison Lighthouse]
-Billy, Don’t Be a Hero [Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods]
-The Night Chicago Died [Paper Lace]
-Brandy You’re A Fine Girl [Looking Glass]
-Escape (The Pina Colada Song) [Rupert Holmes]

Alright, I’ll stop teasing him.

(But really, honey, Midnight at the Oasis?? Afternoon Delight???)

Okay, okay! I’m stopping now, for real!

Seriously, I’m stopping…it’s late and I’m getting punchy!! To Be Continued Tomorrow….

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 06-19-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #142
KidGoofy
This
Loves Pierogies
Just remember VMK is still always watching you
i worship devan

Quote:
Still Sunday:

Afternoon Delight???

Okay, okay! I’m stopping now, for real!

Seriously, I’m stopping…it’s late and I’m getting punchy!! To Be Continued Tomorrow….

Kathy
At my young age of 15 I actually like that song mostly because of Anchorman.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #143
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

Quote:

It puts him on alert and flips him into ::cop: “cop mode”, which is not where he wants to be on his vacation.
ugh and I suspect not where you want to be either!!!

Quote:
Funny, but the three or four times we’ve been here in the evenings, we’ve never seen any of the entertainers out entertaining! What did they used to call them? The Boardwalk Buskers, I believe. You see them in every WDW planning DVD!! You know what I’m talking about: the musician, the juggler, the magician, the man making balloon animals! Is it just me? Drat! I’ve never seen any of these performers on the Boardwalk! Well, we did see an artist doing caricatures for a fee, but for some reason I always expect more. Perhaps they don’t perform on Sunday nights….
Hmm... That is disappointing.

I had planned on checking out the boardwalk on our next trip. Guess I'll scratch that one off my list.

Quote:
“Well, honey, you did want to avoid the crowds,” I laughed as we surveyed the sea of empty tables from which to stake our claim.
That kinda sounds nice actually.
Quote:
As soon as the one piano player finished his number, the other piano player launched into a rendition of American Pie by Don McLean. Things were looking up! That’s one of Ed’s favorite songs.
It's one of ours also and I have to say I don't mind Madonna's version of the song either.

Keep it coming
Old 06-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #144
Goofster57
What if the “Hokey Pokey” really is what it’s all about?

Location: On the other side of that invisible line that I just can’t help crossing some times

Quote:
the other piano player launched into a rendition of American Pie by Don McLean.

I just went over to his CD collection and grabbed a handful of CDs. This is what I got:

-‘70’s Party Classics
- Pop Hits of the 1970’s
-‘70’s Radio Hits
- Casey Kasem Presents America’s Top 10: the 1970’s

Get the idea? (I mean, can you dig it, baby!) Even in the 70’s I didn’t listen to this much 70’s pop music! I love to bust his chops about it…

-Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) [Edison Lighthouse]
-Billy, Don’t Be a Hero [Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods]
-The Night Chicago Died [Paper Lace]
-Brandy You’re A Fine Girl [Looking Glass]
-Escape (The Pina Colada Song) [Rupert Holmes]

(But really, honey, Midnight at the Oasis?? Afternoon Delight???)
I guess some people just don't have a musical ear...

I think all of these are great and I have every one of them on my Play List.

So ROCK on Ed
Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #145
KathyRN137

Arrow Props:

KidGoofy: Just to put things in perspective: I think I was about your age when that song debuted on Casey's Top 40....

blue: Madonna recorded American Pie? Really?? I am so out of it!

Goofster: I like these songs, too! I just like to tease Ed because 70's music is all he listens to!

Kathy
Old 06-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #146
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

Nothing wrong with that music! Just add in a little 60's and it would be great!

First trip to DW June 1977, Dutch Inn with DH, DS8, DS6, DD4
July 1996, ASMovies; April 2002, ASMusic; June 2005, Coronado Springs;
May 5-12, 2007, Pop Century; May 30-June 6, 2010, Marriott Grande Vista;
First trip to DL Oct. 9-15, 2011 Anaheim Marriott

May 2007 Pre-trip and trip report: NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #147
KathyRN137

Arrow The Half-and-Half Report: Part 23

Sunday Night: The Boardwalk:

So, where was I? Oh yes, I was making fun of my husband’s CD collection! Wait until he reads this, so many of you came to his defense!

We settle in at our table at Jellyrolls and naturally, since it was not very busy, someone was right there to take our order. Two beers, please! Funny, this was the second night in a row that I’d been in the mood for a beer; I’m usually not a beer drinker. But in these surroundings, it just felt “right”. It felt like we were in the Disney version of a neighborhood bar; and you don’t order drinks with fruit and umbrellas in a neighborhood bar!

The young waitress returned with our beers and placed them on the table with a basket of popcorn and a stack of cocktail napkins. Now, I can understand wait staff throwing a generous supply of napkins our way when we are out with the kids…. did we really look like a couple of potential mess-makers? Then I realized that the napkins were to be used, not to prevent water rings on the table, but for writing down song requests for the dueling pianists.

While one fellow tickled the ivories, the other did his best to muster the patrons into singing along to Don McLean's American Pie. We did our best to comply, at least on the chorus! A few more people wandered in from the boardwalk and took a table nearby. Then a couple came in and sat at one of the bars. Perhaps the place was beginning to fill up for the evening!

Next there was a request for a Billy Joel number. I dug a pen out of my bag and twiddled it between my fingers while I tried to think of a song to request. I was drawing a blank. A couple of suggestions came to mind, but I dismissed them as not being suitable for solo piano. I crumpled up each napkin and sighed. Ed raised an eyebrow slightly.

“Why do you need to make a request?” he said. “Just listen to what they’re playing!” He took another sip of beer.

“Honey, the whole point of this place is that we make requests and supposedly, the piano players have such a wide repertoire that they can play anything we ask for. They make a little competition out of it. Then, we all get to sing along, get it?” I nodded my head encouragingly and handed him the pen.

Billy Joel’s Piano Man segued into Elton John’s Tiny Dancer. A very pretty song, but not exactly one that was gonna get the place rockin’.

A woman sitting alone at a table in front of center stage got up and placed a request and a tip in the glass bowl. It was her third since we came in.

A girlfriend, maybe?? A groupie?? She sat down and beamed upwards at the two male performers. She looked like she was in heaven. (Do dueling pianists attract groupies??)

I brought my attention back to the matter at hand. We needed some livelier music requests. “Come on,” I pestered Ed. “Let’s think of a good song; something everyone can sing,” I rummaged through my bag for a second pen.

Ed’s eyebrows knit together and the number 11 appeared above the bridge of his nose. He chewed on his pen. After a moment, he scratched something down on the napkin and pushed it toward me with a look of satisfaction. I smiled at him, took the paper, and brought it up close to my face so I could read it in the subdued lighting.

The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace.

Sigh.

They didn’t mean to, really they didn’t, but my eyeballs began to roll slightly before I could stop them. It was a barely imperceptible movement, but he caught it. Ugh, big mistake!

“Fine,” he said, putting the pen down with disgust. “First you bug me to request a song, then when I do, you roll your eyes at me!” He folded his arms across his chest.

“Hon, it’s a great song! It’s just that…well…I’m sorry! The lyrics are about a gangland war and a cop’s wife who spends the night terrified her husband isn’t going to come home alive! I mean it’s not exactly a sing-along-song!” My voice trailed off helplessly. This was not going the way I had planned.

Perhaps we should have gone to Pleasure Island, after all…
Perhaps we should have stayed in Epcot…
Perhaps unpleasant thoughts of leaving in the morning were beginning to surface…
Perhaps we should just call it a night…

My reverie was broken by the sounds of loud whooping and raucous laughter. The door opened and a group of three couples burst into the bar, led by a tall man in a green football jersey. He looked around the room, threw both arms up in a jubilant “touchdown” signal and screamed,

Eagles! The Eagles won!! Yeahhh!!!

There was a stunned silence for a fraction of a second, and then everyone either smiled or laughed as the group stumbled it’s way to the front and spread out around one of the larger tables right in front of the stage. Mr. Eagles’ female companion tried to shush him, but he was beyond caring.

“Who won?” asked one of the piano players, with a wink to the crowd. Mr. Eagles stood up turned around and addressed the entire room, again.

Eagles!! Eagles!! Yeahhh!

Let me tell you, this guy was three sheets to the wind! But he and his group seemed to be just what the performers needed, because they began bantering back and forth and the next number was much livelier.

Only the Good Die Young, by Billy Joel.

Not only did Mr. Eagles throw back his head and begin to sing along at the top of his lungs, when he noticed that not too many others were singing he jumped up and began to “lead” the room in the sing-along, much to the amusement of the performers on stage.

As the post-game crowd spilled in from the ESPN Club, lots of happy Eagles fans (and a few crestfallen Giants fans) spread out among the tables and the room began to fill.

The waitress came ‘round to ask if we wanted another drink. I half expected Ed to say no, but he surprised me and ordered another beer. I did the same, and squeezed his hand under the table. He smiled ruefully, obviously regretting his earlier Grumpiness.

But, I noticed he kept an eye on Mr. Eagles & Company, who were in overtime as far as drinking was concerned.

It must have been halftime for the pianists, though, because the two who had been performing took a break and two new performers took the piano benches. They decided to take advantage of the post-game fervor and invited all the Eagles fans up onto the stage for a rousing rendition of New York, New York(made famous by Mr. Frank Sinatra.)

He may have been drunk, but Mr. Eagles was a happy drunk, because he graciously accepted the invitation (along with about a dozen of his friends) and good-naturedly joined the chorus line and high-kicked along with the rest of them to Old Blue Eyes’ standard.

It was a small miracle that he didn’t fall off the stage!

The next number was the old folk song, The Unicorn, and we all tried to keep up with the zany animal moves that went with it. (Mr. Eagles stayed on the stage with a few of his buddies to show us how it was done.) When one of the piano players announced the next song and asked everyone to sit back down, they all did.

All except Mr. Eagles.

As the one piano player began to play and the other was standing at the mike, he swaggered over to the other piano, sat down on the bench, and began to sing into the open microphone. His friends applauded him and cheered him on.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see two bouncers slowly making their way toward the stage, stopping to casually lean against the walls on either side. I turned to look at Ed. I didn't notice it at the time, but later I realized he had quietly removed his ring and watch and put them in his pocket. He was anticipating trouble.

Uh oh. ::cop: Cop Face.

He stood up. “Let’s go,” he said curtly. “There’s gonna be a fight and I’ll have to get in it if he gives those guys a hard time.” I didn’t need to be told twice. Bar fights can get ugly. He took me by the hand and we made a beeline for the door, passing a staff member who was radioing for backup just on the other side.

We stepped outside onto the Boardwalk promenade and turned to take the walkway to The Swan. Suddenly, the ringing of a shrill bell caused our heads to turn to our right.

WHOOSH! A wild surrey bike driven by a teenage boy went flying past. Another bell and a second bike tore after the first, another boy peddling furiously. “Sorry!” he called out to us; then he dug in to continue his pursuit of bike number one.

“I never knew the Boardwalk was so dangerous,” I laughed. “We’d better get back.”

We walked in silence for a moment.

“I’m sorry,” Ed said apologetically. “I know you were having a good time, but I wanted to get you out of there.”

“I understand,” I said. (My hero!) He may get a bit grumpy at times, but underneath all that, he’s truly my knight in shining armor. I admitted that I was beginning to feel a bit tired, anyway.

“Let’s just enjoy the bit of time that we have left,” I sighed. We then walked hand-in-hand up the slightly inclined path and turned left. There was a bridge that crossed over that one part of the canal and the moonlight flashed on the gentle water below. In the darkness, the colorful pendants and banners that adorned the bridge flapped and snapped in the breeze. It was delightful to be able to walk back to our room like this instead of taking a crowded bus.

It would be hard to leave here in the morning….

Kathy

Last edited by KathyRN137; 06-23-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #148
averill94
DIS Veteran

Boy, visiting the Boardwalk was on our list for next trip, now I am not so sure....
Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #149
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by averill94 View Post
Boy, visiting the Boardwalk was on our list for next trip, now I am not so sure....
Last year we ate dinner at the Flying Fish Cafe (wonderful!), and we had a very pleasant stroll on the Boardwalk promanade afterwards. There are snack vendors and midway games that kids of all ages can play, but I think they are manned by CMs a bit earlier in the evening....there just weren't as many live entertainers as I had expected.

I like the Boardwalk....perhaps the "big game" was a factor in the excessive drinking on the part of some guests....of course, I've seen the same thing at Pleasure Island....

Kathy
Old 06-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #150
milouster
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Milouser: 10yr old boys love a good laugh! (Of course, its usually fart jokes that do it for them!) Oh, and for Buzz....[BKathy
And, of course, they are usually good for a few laughs also!

Melissa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: