Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #46
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog View Post
Judy,

You got some great pictures during your vacation. I'm glad I got to see them because I decided to look at the ones I took last night, and of course I never take enough, and the ones I did get are marginal at best. Good job!

We never did hook up with any Disers on the cruise but with our three kids we were constantly moving in different directions.
Hi Firedog, thanks for your kind comments. We missed you at the DIS meet. Did you enjoy the cruise?

April, 2007 - 4 day Wonder/3 day WDW (very long) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1430554
July, 2004 - Magic Eastern (very short) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=609376
jrose529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #47
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose529 View Post
Thanks! I'll be putting the next chapter up shortly.

You will love the cruise. Are you sailing the Magic ot the Wonder?
We're on the Wonder

Just read your last installment - Grad Nite sounded like a hoot - kudos to you and your DH for making it through the night. I'm usually in bed by 10 pm when we're on vacation

We, too, are (brand new) DVC owners so I'm really interested in how the DVC/cruise trip worked out for you. We're doing it the other way around in August - SSR first for 2 nights, then DCL and then 4 nights at ASMu for free dining. I'm slightly concerned that we will be disappointed with ASMu after having stayed at SSR - however, if the staterooms on DCL are as small as everyone says, our room at ASMu should seem HUGE in comparison, right
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #48
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Chapter 13: Marathon Shopping and Now Itís Time To Say Good-bye.

We arranged a 9:30 AM wake-up call and scrambled to pack and check out in time. We called to have our bags picked up at 10:30, but they couldnít get to us until 11:00. We all had our bags picked up at the same time and checked our bags at the airline stand. That was great. We didnít see them until we arrived at Newark!

It was too late to eat breakfast at Oliviaís so we took the boat to DTD and ate lunch at the Rainforest Cafť at noon. I never checked to see if we could use our DDP there and of course we couldnít! It figures. The food was okay, but nothing to write home about. I had a Turkey wrap. We ordered a Volcano for BFFS1 Laurenís birthday, just to embarrass her again. We succeeded. All 8 of us tried the Volcano and it was delicious. It was the best part of the meal.

The kids all wanted to go to Disney Quest, so DH & BFFD took the 4 of them. That left BFFM & me to shop until we dropped, which we did. I bought gifts for my son, his girlfriend, my nephews, my dad and my Mother-in-law. I forgot to mention that MIL was rushed to the hospital while we were on the cruise. We were very worried about her! She hasnít been well and was hospitalized 2 weeks before we left. She was in intensive care for 4 days. Her blood pressure was 60/40! They never found out why, but thankfully sheís home now.

Our friends had to be back at OKW for the Magical Express by 4:00 PM, and our ME was at 5:20. While we were shopping, BFFD called BFFM to say that BFFS2 was not happy at Disney Quest. (Did you get all that?) We ended up with Erin and had fun shopping for about another hour until they had to leave. DH & DD met me and we shopped for a bit longer and took the bus back to OKW. We still had a sit down meal, a fast food meal and 3 snacks left on our DDP, so we went to Oliviaís and shared a meal. DD & I shared a Turkey Club and soup, DH had a dessert. We bought snacks to take home in the General Store and walked away from our fast food meal. Over all, I would recommend the DDP. It saved us a lot of money. I thought I purchased 3 days for each of us, but it turned I only purchased a 2 day each. That worked out great since we ate at Rainforest anyway. The plan includes a lot of food, so I can see not being able to use it all, but it is cost effective for a short trip.

All 3 of us fell asleep on the bus to the airport. We had an exhausting few days after our relaxing cruise. We probably should have done WDW first. Since we checked in at OKW, we already had our boarding passes. Believe it or not, DD & I went straight to the Disney store to shop again. Youíd think we didnít buy anything at DTD! After spending more money, we went to our gate to await the boarding announcement.

The flight was uneventful, thankfully and we arrived at Newark Airport at 10:40 PM where my dad was waiting for us. The luggage took forever to show up and after dropping my dad off at his house in NY, we arrived home in CT at 1 AM. Now youíd think weíd go right to bed, but when DH went down to the basement, he saw that it had flooded and the water had been standing there for nearly a week! We began our clean-up and crashed at 3 AM! We spent the next few days working on tossing out everything from mattresses to clothes. It was a mess! A company came today to remove the carpet, disinfect and deodorize. It cost us a fortune! There goes any chance of another cruise in the next year!!!

We had a fabulous vacation, but coming home to that mess tarnished some of our vacation glow.

Next Up: Final Thoughts

April, 2007 - 4 day Wonder/3 day WDW (very long) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1430554
July, 2004 - Magic Eastern (very short) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=609376
Old 04-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #49
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for sharing your report with us Judy. Your DD is a lovely looking young lady and I'm glad she got over her initial boredom on the cruise

How awful to come home to all that mess and trouble - glad it is finally sorted.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #50
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
We're on the Wonder

Just read your last installment - Grad Nite sounded like a hoot - kudos to you and your DH for making it through the night. I'm usually in bed by 10 pm when we're on vacation

We, too, are (brand new) DVC owners so I'm really interested in how the DVC/cruise trip worked out for you. We're doing it the other way around in August - SSR first for 2 nights, then DCL and then 4 nights at ASMu for free dining. I'm slightly concerned that we will be disappointed with ASMu after having stayed at SSR - however, if the staterooms on DCL are as small as everyone says, our room at ASMu should seem HUGE in comparison, right
You'll love it on the Wonder! It's smart that you're going to WDW before and after the cruise. That will give you more time. welcome to DVC, it's been great for us!

I've never stayed at ASMu before, so I can't comment on the size of the rooms, but you're right that nearly any room will seem larger than the stateroom. The stateroom is quite comfotable in size though, so it shouldn't be too crowded. It all depends upon how many people you have in the cabin and what category cabin you have.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #51
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
It all depends upon how many people you have in the cabin and what category cabin you have.
We're in Cat 11 and there are just the 2 of us, me and DH. We're doing a Sleepydog and testing it out to make sure the kids will like it before we bring them too
Old 04-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #52
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your report with us Judy. Your DD is a lovely looking young lady and I'm glad she got over her initial boredom on the cruise

How awful to come home to all that mess and trouble - glad it is finally sorted.
Thanks, she's a great kid most of the time!

The basement was a huge mess, but there is a silver lining. We've wanted to clean it out and now we are forced to!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #53
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're in Cat 11 and there are just the 2 of us, me and DH. We're doing a Sleepydog and testing it out to make sure the kids will like it before we bring them too
You should be fine in the stateroom with just the two of you. I told DH that our next DCL cruise will just be the two of us. Unfortunately, we couldn't rebook just yet since we are still paying for DS's college and DD starts in the fall. It may be awhile before we cruise again since we used all our points for this year and next year. We decided to book a verandah room, so it was alot of points.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #54
Miscoehill
Mouseketeer

Judy,

Your not alone...we came home to a basement filled with water too! What a mess and an awful smell as soon as we walked in the house. So up came the carpet, and some tiles...not a fun time. John is going to try and do all the work himself so we can save for another cruise!
Great trip report..make you want to go back!
Laurie
Miscoehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #55
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
It may be awhile before we cruise again since we used all our points for this year and next year. We decided to book a verandah room, so it was alot of points.
I must admit, I was tempted to book this cruise on points so we could get a higher category room but we need all our available points for next year's trip - 3 weeks for me, DH, the 3 kids and MIL and FIL

DH and I keep telling ourselves we'll be rich when the kids grow up and leave home but I guess there's always something that keeps on costing you money. I just can't wait until I can start going back to WDW at non-peak times

Looking forward to reading your final thoughts - would be interested to hear more about the DVC presentation on board - is it worth going to?

I'm off to bed now as it is 10:30 pm here in the UK and I have a 4 year old who will be up at 6 am

Been nice 'chatting' with you
Old 04-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #56
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Since I'm on a roll, I'll post my last installment now. It will be nice to get it out of the way!

Chapter 14: Final Thoughts

We have been on 7 cruises, 2 of them on DCL, and by far those 2 were the best! Disney really does it right. I love the fact that they know how to cater to every age group. The only negatives I have are the smoking in the Cadillac Lounge and at the Quiet Cove Pool, but again comparing it to other cruise lines, there is much less smoking on DCL. The other complaint is that the shows pretty much stay the same, but compared to other cruise lines, the quality of the shows on DCL are far superior. So even my negatives can be turned into positives!

I found the DCL staterooms to be more spacious than other lines. I like the split bathrooms, but each side should be a bit larger. Our last cruise before this one was the NCL Dawn which is also a beautiful ship. The shower on the Dawn was uncomfortably small and the one bathroom was not much larger than one side of DCLís split bathroom. The Freestyle Dining on NCL had its good and bad points, but no food on any of the ships we sailed can compare to the food at Palo. I also like DCLís dining rotation. The embarkation and disembarkation on DCL is also far superior to other lines.

I just thought of one negative that I didnít mention at the beginning of my report. Our lifeboat drill was in AP, as were many other groups. We were all sitting right next to one another. With all the CMís making announcements at the same time, we couldnít hear a thing! Weíve never had that problem before. Here is a picture of DD & DH, since I have no pics for this post.

As you can see, DD was not happy about this picture!

The first DCL cruise was a 7 day Eastern on the Magic and I thought 4 days would be too short. I would have loved to stay on longer, but leaving after 4 days wasnít as difficult as I thought it would be. Maybe thatís because I knew my vacation wasnít over just yet. Also, If I were going to combine the cruise with WDW again, Iíd either do WDW before the cruise or spend more time at WDW after so we didnít feel rushed. I would also spend more time in Epcot since we missed so much in the countries.

Thank you all for hanging in with me for this very long TR. I hope it wasnít too boring.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #57
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscoehill View Post
Judy,

Your not alone...we came home to a basement filled with water too! What a mess and an awful smell as soon as we walked in the house. So up came the carpet, and some tiles...not a fun time. John is going to try and do all the work himself so we can save for another cruise!
Great trip report..make you want to go back!
Laurie
I'm sorry to hear that Laurie. The smell was disgusting, wasn't it? Steve has a bad back, so he couldn't move any of the heavy items.

Good luck!

Quote:
I must admit, I was tempted to book this cruise on points so we could get a higher category room but we need all our available points for next year's trip - 3 weeks for me, DH, the 3 kids and MIL and FIL

DH and I keep telling ourselves we'll be rich when the kids grow up and leave home but I guess there's always something that keeps on costing you money. I just can't wait until I can start going back to WDW at non-peak times

Looking forward to reading your final thoughts - would be interested to hear more about the DVC presentation on board - is it worth going to?

I'm off to bed now as it is 10:30 pm here in the UK and I have a 4 year old who will be up at 6 am

Been nice 'chatting' with you
Sometimes it isn't cost effective to use points for the cruise. You need so many points. We have also always gone at peak times, so we use more points.

When you go for 3 weeks, are you also going on the cruise? It sounds like a great trip!

The kids only get more expensive as they get older!

I enjoyed the DVC presentation. They give away some nice free goodies and it's nice meeting other DVC members.

Have a good night and thanks for taking the time to read my TR.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #58
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

Quote:
Thank you all for hanging in with me for this very long TR. I hope it wasnít too boring.
awesome TR Judy..I enjoyed every minute of it
Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #59
outahere

Great TR Judy!!

I thought we would come home to a flooded basement, as well. However, I think the gutters we had installed last Fall probably saved us. The previous owners of this house has some basement water problems, which prompted us to do the gutters. Probably money well spent!

Take care and I hope to sail with you again.

Ed

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #60
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneegrl4eva View Post
awesome TR Judy..I enjoyed every minute of it
Thanks disneegrl4eva, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Great TR Judy!!

I thought we would come home to a flooded basement, as well. However, I think the gutters we had installed last Fall probably saved us. The previous owners of this house has some basement water problems, which prompted us to do the gutters. Probably money well spent!

Take care and I hope to sail with you again.

Ed
Thanks Ed! It was great sailing with you also. When are you sailing again?

Unfortunately it isn't as easy as our gutters. They are relativley new. It's hydrostatic pressure coming up through the ground and cracking our foundation! We have alot of repairs ahead of us. We have to seal the cracks and reseal the floor. Steve sealed the floor years ago and we had been dry until last year. He put a curtain drain in this past summer and that worked for a while.The snow melt and intense rain was too much and everything failed! Our whole neighborhood is on ledge rock, so the water has no place to go. We had to drill a new well a couple of years ago and they had to go 450 feet before they hit water!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: