Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Chapter 5: Chills & Thrills in Nassau and Can DD find anything to do?

Our cast of characters:

Me Ė Judy
DH Ė Steve
DD Ė Amy (18)
DDBFF - DDís best friend Katie (18)
BFFM - best friendís mom Chris
BFFD - best friendís dad Mark
BFFS1 - best friendís 16 year old sister Lauren
BFFS2 - best friendís 5 year old sister Erin

(Arenít you sick of seeing this at the beginning of every chapter? By now you should know our cast of characters, so this is the last time youíll see this list.)

Day 2 Ė April 16, 2007
Nassau

DD had to wake up early for a snorkel excursion with our friends. She had fun snorkeling, but it was cold and windy, so she and BFF spent most of the morning sunning themselves on the catamaran. DH & I decided to sleep in until 10:00! It was heavenly! We had the breakfast buffet at Parrot Cay and it was just okay. We braved the wind and cold and walked around deck 10 taking pics.

We decided to settle on our favorite deck chairs on deck 4 to read.

It was freezing! I thought we should sit in the sun at the Quiet Cove pool, but DH thought the new lounge chairs were uncomfortable, so we sat by the Cove Cafť and comfortable chairs and ottomans. I was so comfortable, that I feel asleep for a couple of hours. This was a very relaxing cruise! Unfortunately, there were smokers out there, so we left after my nap. Two of our favorite spots were the smoking areas and we were not too happy about that!

After a quick lunch by the Mickey pool, we went shopping. Actually, we didnít shop at all, but our plan was to find the Straw Market. Once we found it, we did not like it at all. It was tight and crowded, so we left. Nassau is not a port that I enjoy. We stopped there last summer when we sailed NCL Dawn and took a cab to Atlantis to tour ďThe Dig.Ē We enjoyed that, but didnít feel the need to go back. This time we wandered for only 45 minutes and got back onboard.

I went to the 4 PM DVC member presentation and got a DVC beach bag, hats and pins. It was fun. DH sat on deck 4 reading his Barack Obama book, which he loved. After DVC, I ran into DD, BFF & BFFDS1 playing Bingo. I hung out watching them lose. DD was really close at one point, but no luck. Oh well.

I went to the 6:15 Hercules the Muse-i-cal while DH went to work out. He never made the early morning spinning class since we slept in, so he really wanted to exercise. The show was okay. Parts of it were funny, but I had seen it before. They really need to completely change the shows since so many people are repeat cruisers.

Tonight was Palo night. We were really looking forward to eating there since we enjoyed it so much on the Magic. It didnít disappoint. The food and service were as fabulous as we remembered. BFFM & BFFD enjoyed it as well. I had the Gnocchi Florentine as an appetizer and it was amazing! BFFM liked it so much; she ordered some to go with her dinner. We then shared a pizza, half four cheese, half Prosciutto. It was delicious. I had the Gorgonzola Fillet of Beef Ė yummy, and ended the evening with the unbelievable Chocolate Soufflť. All I can say is WOW. This dinner was even better than I remembered on the Magic.

After dinner, we stopped by the Cadillac Lounge to see Darryl Lockhart again. This time we stayed a bit longer since the smokers were in the back of the lounge. As usual, Darryl was great! The smokers were very loud in the back of the room and paid no attention to him. What a shame!

DD was back by 1 AM again. OH NO, was she still bored? Iím happy to report that she was just exhausted from all the fun she and BFF had. All the girls went to dinner in Parrot Cay and our servers were wonderful with them. They enjoyed dinner so much; they stayed until 10:30! BFFS2 fell asleep right away. This was the theme every night for her. She was wiped out by the time dinner rolled around. The other girls had fun with Corrine & Brent and all the magic tricks. They came up to Palo and BFFD took BFFS1 to the cabin. We were finished with dinner, so we left soon after.

DD & BFF spent time in Diversions and loved it! They made friends with Rob, the manager of Diversions and he let DD play the piano and BFF sang. They have been writing music and recording a CD, so they were thrilled to have a chance to perform!

We all had a wonderful day!

Next up: What a Way to Relax Ė Massage, Champagne, Chocolates & HammocksÖ

April, 2007 - 4 day Wonder/3 day WDW (very long) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1430554
July, 2004 - Magic Eastern (very short) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=609376
jrose529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #17
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Chapter 6: What a Way to Relax Ė Massage, Champagne, Chocolates & HammocksÖ

Day 3 Ė April 17, 2007
Castaway Cay

Well, I had to wake up at 8:30 AM for a 9:30 Spa appointment. I am NOT a morning person, but the anticipation of spa treatments, had me jumping out of bed, bright eyed and bushy tailed. I took a look out of our verandah, and this is what I saw.

I tried to go to BB for a quick breakfast, but since it was CC day, the line was too long for me to wait. I hopped over to PC for their buffet, but the line was just as long. I would have skipped breakfast, but I had morning meds I had to take so I went to Tritonís and the servers were incredible. They had me fed and out of there before 9:30! I scooted up to the Spa, just as they were calling my stateroom and waking up DH. He was not happy, but he got over it.

Decy from the Philippines was my masseuse and she was wonderful. I had a facial, back massage, foot massage and Oriental scalp massage. What a treat! I forgot to mention that I didnít want a sales pitch at the beginning, but she was very low-key. I needed face cream, so I bought a small bottle, but that was all. Decy then brought me into the Rainforest Room and I got comfy in the heated tile loungers. That was so relaxing! She then brought me a glass of champagne and chocolates. I donít drink champagne, so I asked for water, but the chocolates were delicious. I tried some of the steam rooms and the sauna, but they were too hot for me. I decided that I had enough and went to get showered and dressed to go out to CC.

DH was awake when I returned to the cabin and we got ready to go to the beach. He didnít have breakfast, so he was starving by the time we reached Cookies at noon, so we ate. The chicken and ribs were very good, but the cheeseburger was dry. The chocolate chip cookies were not great, but the fruit and ice cream were good.

The island didnít seem overly crowded. The weather was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky. We walked to the end of the family beach, taking pictures the whole time.

DH thought this sign was funny.

At the end of the family beach, we found two available hammocks, side by side and decided to try them out. I was really beginning to relax when the sun got too strong for me and DH. He just had a cancerous mole removed from his back last month and he was nervous in the sun. I burn very easily, so we decided to look for shade and for DD and our friends. We walked along the shore and found the water to be quite cool, but refreshing. We found two lounge chairs in the shade at the beginning of the family beach, with a nice breeze and settled in to read. We had been there about an hour when DD and BFF are suddenly standing in front of us laughing. They were sunning themselves about 10 feet in front of us and we didnít notice one another until they got up to leave. I really am blind! They were right under our noses the whole time.

Walking back to the ship, we saw Donald Duck.

Next up: Argh; Itís a Pirates Life for Me.

April, 2007 - 4 day Wonder/3 day WDW (very long) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1430554
July, 2004 - Magic Eastern (very short) trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=609376
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
ColoradoMom!!
DIS Veteran

Hurray! I've been waiting for more, and I LOVE the pictures too!
Thanks!

Disneyland October 21-24, 2008

Boston Vacation and Red Sox Game July 2009
Back to Cooperstown and New York City June 2010
Disneyland December 2011 and Jan 2013
ColoradoMom!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #19
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMom!! View Post
Hurray! I've been waiting for more, and I LOVE the pictures too!
Thanks!
Thanks for your support.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #20
mom_of_2_princesses
DIS Veteran

I love your TR! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Lori
mom_of_2_princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #21
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_2_princesses View Post
I love your TR! Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Thank you for reading it!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #22
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Chapter 7: Argh; Itís a Pirates Life for Me

We returned to the ship at 2:45 and sat at the Cove Cafť to read. DD and BFF came over to hang out in the Quiet Cove pool, so I joined them. It was nice to spend some time with DD. We all went back to the cabin by 5:30 to get ready for the Golden Mickeyís at 6:15 and Pirate Night in Parrot Cay. DD & I showered and dressed, DH planned to shower after the show.

We were late for the show, but it was fun. I enjoyed it more than Hercules, although it was not much different than the last time I saw it. While DH went back to get ready for dinner, I popped into Shutters to see if I liked any pictures. I found two nice 8 x 10 shots of DD and a 6 x 8 of the four girls, so I bought them. I declined to purchase a package, since I knew I wouldnít buy any photos of myself. I love takings pictures, but hate to be in them!

I'll scan them tomorrow and add them here.

I had told DH to meet me in the Cadillac Lounge to listen to Darryl, but someone else was playing his piano. He was good, but he was no Darryl. I realized that I forgot to take my meds so I went back to the cabin to meet DH and drop off the photos.

It was time for our Pirate Dinner in PC. I bought everyone at our table an eye patch and hoop earring. Everyone bought some sort of Disney Pirate hat except for DH and me. We wore the Pirate bandanas that were at the table. I took a lot of pictures. The kids all looked so cute!

BFFS2 Erin

BFFS1 Lauren, BFF Katie, DD Amy, BFFS2 Erin

BFF Katie & DD Amy

BFFS1 Erin & BFFS2 Lauren

BFFD Mark & BFFM Chris

DH Steve

BFFD Mark having a great time!

DD Amy enjoying herself!

BFFS2 fell asleep as usual, so BFFD took her back to the cabin. The rest of us went to the Pirates in the Caribbean deck party. It was great. We danced and sang and enjoyed the fireworks.

After the party, DH BFFM and I settled in to watch POC on the big screen. It was so cool to be sitting out there on deck. I took some pics of Johnny Depp and they came out great. Here are two of them.

As an aside, I donít know if this is a rumor, but apparently Johnny Depp and his family bought a house in our town. Heís been seen around town, but I havenít seen him myself. Itís fun to think heís here, but I am not sure if I believe it. A few years ago, there was a rumor that Anthony Edwards moved here, and I didnít believe it until I ran into him in our local grocery store. He was a really nice guy and we spoke briefly since he was in line behind me. So, the Johnny Depp rumor may just be true!

Back to the movie - it became very cold out there on deck, so we returned to our cabin at midnight. Now here is when I get stupid. I decided that since I had to stay awake until DD returned at 2 AM, I would do laundry! Not smart. I was exhausted and the laundry took forever! DD got back before the clothes were dry and I wasnít done until 2:45. Dumb move!

In between my trips to the laundry room, I watched coverage of the Virginia Tech massacre. It was horrible. What a sad and shocking event. I canít understand how someone could take so many lives. I canít understand how he could have shot anyone at all. I really hate guns. It must have been so terrifying for all those people. It just makes me cry.

Next up: Mickey Heads and Goofy Ears

Last edited by jrose529; 04-24-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #23
scottishwee35
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed to read your trip report and thought the photos of pirates look good seem everybody happy

Scottishwee35
Disney Wonder Cruise, 6-9 April 06Disney Magic Cruise Med 18-28 July 07Disney Magic Panama Canal, 10 -28May 0828 July 10- Dover to Barcelona RCCI Freedom 10 April 11, Splendour of the Seas July 2013 WBTA Sept 2014

scottishwee35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #24
outahere

You're doing a great job Judy. Keep up the good work. Through your TR
I'm reliving those very short 4 days we were on the Wonder with your family.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #25
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

I am so loving this TR - great job. You're getting me excited about our Wonder trip in August.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 17,2008 Wonder B2B - triple dip to CC
Aug 22, 2009 Magic western
Aug 22, 2010 Wonder & WDW
Ski-and-Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #26
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

i'm all in anticipation looking for the next bit.

you're pictures are great - makes me feel like i'm there.
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #27
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all your words of encouragement.

Here is the next chapter:

Chapter 8: Mickey Heads and Goofy Ears

Day 4 - April 81, 2007
Day at Sea

I just love sea days! We all planned to sleep in this morning. Are you shocked? That was the theme of this cruise Ė relaxation, and we definitely did that. We woke up at 10 AM and after getting ready, we went to PC for breakfast. DD went off with BFF and I didnít see them until dinner. I have to say that this morningís breakfast was the worst meal of the cruise. It wasnít the food, it was the server. I feel sorry for anyone who had him during the cruise. I hope he was better at dinner. I donít remember his name or where he was from, but he was very unfriendly and never introduced himself. The table wasnít set and we had trouble getting anything from him. DH had to wait for his coffee and it was cold. He was never offered another cup. It made me realize how lucky we were to have Corrine and Brent. They were always smiling.

After breakfast, DH went to work out again and I went to Shutters. There were some nice pics of DD, but I didnít buy any. I thought Iíd check again later. I then went to shop and didnít buy much for some reason. Actually throughout the cruise, I only bought an ankle bracelet at the gold by an inch event on the first evening and a magnet on the last day. I held off on my shopping for DTD on our last day at WDW, but Iíll get to that soon.

It was now time for the Castaway Clubhouse for people who had cruised DCL before. I figured that I may as well go since DH was still working out. I met some wonderful people who had cruised DCL many times, but one couple beat them all. This was their 24th DCL cruise! They were an older couple and they were so adorable. The best part was her name Ė it was Wonder! Isnít that amazing? Iím still trying to get DH to book our 3rd DCL cruise, I canít imagine 24! I didnít win one of the Castaway Clocks, but I had fun and took back chocolate covered Rice Krispie Mickey heads for the 4 girls. They were thrilled with that.

DH met me for lunch at Goofyís Galley. I had a great Panini and we got fries. We loved the fries. We took a nice walk around deck 4 and settled down to read in our favorite chairs. It was a beautiful day and I wanted to stay outside all day! Something convinced me to go inside though. There was an animation class in AP and I really wanted to go. When I got inside I saw one of my DIS friends, Smeck and his DD Rachel. I sat with them and we laughed the whole time. We just couldnít get it right. Rachel was the most talented out of the three of us. We drew a Mickey and Goofy head. Oh boy, am I a lousy artist! I made the heads so large; I had no room for the ears, especially Goofyís. Smeck just ripped his up. I should have done the same. DH & DD were rolling when they saw my feeble attempt at animation. I guess Iíll keep my day job.

I guess I was too relaxed to take pictures. There really aren't any to fit this chapter, so I'll throw in some just for fun!

CM pool

Next up: Disney Dreams, French Food & Packing Problems

Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #28
whithouston
DIS Veteran

Awesome Judy! Keep it up!!!!

Scott , Christy , Evan , Buster and Gary
**DVC Members since 2003 (BoardWalk, Saratoga Springs, and Bay Lake Tower)**
All Star Sports (July 2005, June 2006), AKV (April 2009, April 2011, February 2012, February 2014, May/June 2014), BLT (December 2009, February 2011, June 2012) BCV--Not Yet, BWV (July 2004, December 2008, June 2011, March/April 2014), Caribbean Beach (July 2003), DCL (April 2005, April 2007, November 2007, December 2010, February 2011, June 2011, June 2012, November 2012, March 2013), HHI (April 2004), Offsite (June 1988, May 2001, December 2001, October 2007, December 2010, May 2011), OKW (December 2003, July 2005, April 2006, April 2007, October 2009, February 2010, June 2010), Pop Century (October 2009, June 2010, October 2010, October 2011), SSR (October 2004, February 2006, July 2007, February 2008), THV (June/July 2009), VWL (October 2004, April 2007)
whithouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #29
Kim in TN
Disney & Dachshund Lover Lurks daily, posts rarely

Awesome trip report, thanks for sharing!! Love the photos.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:03 PM   #30
jrose529
DIS Veteran

Chapter 9: Disney Dreams, French Food & Packing Problems

After making a fool of myself at the Animation class, I went back to the comfy chairs on deck 4 to take notes and read. I needed to check my email to see if our confirmation for Disney Grad night came through. Iíll talk about that in a later chapter. I was online for maybe two minutes and DH was on for 2 more minutes and it cost $6! Iím glad I wasnít on longer.

I decided to begin my packing so I could have more time after dinner. After getting ready for dinner, we went to Disney Dreams. That is my favorite show. There were a few changes to this show and the lighting was cool. I took a few pics at the end without my flash and they came out lousy. I donít know how people get such good shots at the shows.

I told you I got lousy shots!

We went to listen to Darryl in the Cadillac Lounge for a little while and went back to our cabin to pack and find Winston, our stateroom host to give him his tip. He was good and very friendly to me, but DH was not happy when he wanted to change after his workout and Winston was annoyed when he asked if he could shower. I felt bad for Winston. He worked so hard and we slept so late; he had trouble finding the cabin empty so he could do his job. His towel animals were not spectacular. The elephant was a dud, but the monkey was cute.

This was our first one and it was good.

I guess this one wan't bad. I think it's a rabbit, but it may be a dog.

Not a very convincing elephant!

Here's the monkey.

I guess we were spoiled on the Magic. Our towel animals were great!

Tonight was our French dinner in Tritonís. Our server Corrine was so excited since she is the only French server. She had some great suggestions for food choices. I had the leek and goat cheese quiche, which I never would have tried any other time. It was fabulous! Next, I had a delicious Tomato Basil soup. Yummy! I had a few bites of salad Ė I donít know why I ordered that. I was full before my main course arrived. Corrine put a plate of escargot on the table so we could at least try it. There was no chance that DD or I would try those! Yuk!!! DH, BFF, BFFD & BFFM all tried it and thought it was okay. They werenít clamoring for more though. My next course was the beef tenderloin. It was a bit overcooked and not as good as the one in Palo. No big surprise there. We LOVED Palo. I did ask for it to be cooked medium-well, so I should have expected it to be overcooked. For dessert, I had the white chocolate dome. It wasnít as good as it looked. For some reason that was the only food pic I took.

We had birthday cake for BFFS1 Lauren who turned 16 the day before we embarked. She was rather embarrassed.

We were in the dining room until 10:30. We gave our tips and hugged our wonderful servers. We knew weíd see them in the morning, but we really enjoyed our time with them. Brent did a few magic tricks for the kids and we all ran back to finish packing.

Iím not sure if I mentioned this, but we had 6 checked bags for the 3 of us! It was tough to get everything back into those bags for some reason. We ended up with 4 carry-ons instead of 3.

DH decided to change for bed, so we ended up staying in the cabin for the evening. I was disappointed, but I figured I could hang out and read. DH wanted to finish his book, and I had to read my book for my book club. The only problem was I foolishly packed it in my checked bag! I canít believe I did that. DD was staying out until 2:30 tonight, so I had a long evening ahead of me. No, I was not going to do any more laundry! I wrote more notes and looked over my Birnbaumís WDW book for our trip to OKW. I also watched CNN again for coverage of Virginia Tech.

Next up: Itís Nice to be Home!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: